• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, you can recruit Gine in Fusions. Seeing dialogue between her and Kid Goku is fascinating.

Gohan's look when he wins the tournament solo.

mystic_gohan_with_dark_shades_by_aashan-dazctie.png

dayng

guek

Banned
I mean, I'm not saying I don't like everyone getting powered up and becoming relevant. I do. I'm just saying that Toei has been really damn lazy when it comes to planning ahead and seeding ideas for future use, especially compared to Toriyama. And the complaints you see are a byproduct of that. Would it have killed them to have a quick cut to 17 bench pressing a mountain when Trunks met 18 in the Future Trunks arc? Like, that's all it would have taken.
It's not really that hard to swallow. Goku is King Douche of holding back so literally none of his practice matches mean anything other than that the people he's recruiting have become stronger. The only major inconsistency is that he uses blue in those matches at all, but I chalk that up to toei wanting to focus on that form for marketing purposes.

He's a disgraced celebrity in his Universe

It's going to be fun to watch him try to go back to his glory days

It be a good opportunity to turn him back to the character people actually wanted to see.

That or he could continue to be a clone and get beat by his own stupidity like Freeza did to prop up another U7 member.

I'm hoping for the former more than the latter.

NeonZ

The hair makes me think of GT Super 17 though, what's this avatar from and what does it represent?

It's from Dragonball Heroes, Android type Hero Avatar for players. And, yes, his design is pretty clearly Super 17 inspired, which is actually kind of odd.

His class up (SSJ level transformation) makes him basically look like a younger Super 17, even wearing a similar outfit. Then his SSJ3 level class up makes him look like he's more mechanical, with joints and a weird chin guard. Then his God level transformation makes him look like he's wearing spandex with one fully mechanical arm, but otherwise human. The oddity here is that they started with a GT influenced design, rather than going from base 17.

In comparison, there's a Cell-like one (Berserker type) that follows a much more standard progression - Purple young 1st form Cell (base) -> Pretty 2nd form purple cell (Class up) -> Teenager Perfect Cell with scarf (Super Class up) -> Red Cell (God Class up)

Slaythe

I mean, he is not over designed like super 17, has 17's shoes and jeans, his regular scarf, not a huge chin...

It's pretty close to 17.

L Thammy

Hypothesis: Universe 6 is going to have one of the shittiest teams.

Hit's probably going to be one of the strongest contestants, especially if he's still stronger than Goku. But he might still be out of his element due to the no killing rule. I'm sure he's gotten some practice with non-lethal fighting, but he's still wasting a lot of his ability. He's also a loner, so teamwork isn't likely going to be his forte.

Cabba and Frost used to work together, so they should have the teamwork advantage even if neither of them are top tier fights... but Cabba hates Frost now. That isn't going to help anything.

Magetta's great but now Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo know that he's got a super easily exploited weakness. He's basically a freebie for any one of them. I don't know if he can train away his weakness because it's apparently a thing with his entire species.

Is Botamo even still in? Thinking solely in terms of his abilities, I could actually see him doing okay for a little bit if he trains to resist being knocked down. If Goku can't damage him than it's not likely anyone else can. But thinking about it from the meta level, he's got jobber written all over him.

NeonZ

I mean, he is not over designed like super 17, has 17's shoes and jeans, his regular scarf, not a huge chin...

It's pretty close to 17.

He has Super 17's bangs, a RR belt and gloves mixed with those 17 elements you mention there. Outside of the bangs, nothing quite matches Super 17's design, unlike the boots, pants and scarf that come straight from 17, but it's still weird they took those design elements. Front bangs are generally pretty important for the visual identity of anime characters too.

DarkKyo

It's pretty close to 17.

It's kind of like a happy medium between the two designs. However I've always been a sucker for Super 17's design so I'm a bit biased :x

Slaythe

He has Super 17's bangs, a RR belt and gloves mixed with those 17 elements you mention there. Outside of the bangs, nothing quite matches Super 17's design, unlike the boots, pants and scarf that come straight from 17, but it's still weird they took those design elements. Front bangs are generally pretty important for the visual identity of anime characters too.

I just meant his overall look are very obviously based off 17. So was "Super 17".

His hair is tied back, so it's original.

c223354e3499eae8a4468d7b9c1c6f9d.png

551f31480bd36f27f13a8d3056356607.png

They wanted to make an original design that was reminiscent of 17 without being 1:1 wither Super 17 or original 17. They succeeded IMO, he's very cute.

His mannerisms mimic original 17 though.

7466a7440991516ada3dc4da34330e67.png

edit :

omg he has the energy shield <3

59bb7b06fba12a758a4e9e382d829f05.png
mimicking 17's pose too

HeroR

But on the model sheet he looks just like Zamasu with Goku's hair.

Which means whatever subtle difference you think you saw was probably some off model shots by specific animators.

It wasn't off model since Merged Zamasu kept the same face throughout his run in the anime, or at least until his face melted.

HeroR

they kinda feed into each other.

The reason you see some saying "he can't possibly be this strong" is because the show lacked an explantion of how he got there, he just showed up, they missed the journey.(and the journey to get stronger is pretty much the hallmark of shounen)

and we gotta remember that as mad as Frieza's power up made people, that was also before they went off the deep end and had Goku doing his universe punches and SSJ3 Gotenks being fodder to base Vegeta, skyrocketing their power beyond reproach and making it more unbelievable anyone could reach them by "normal" means.

Most of the training aren't shown or extremely downplayed, yet people get huge power ups. All the humans cast went from weaker than Goku at the start of Z to beating up aliens who were equal to Raditz just being doing basic training with Kami for not even a year. This is despite Goku not getting such a huge boost when he trained with Kami for three years.

They're writing Goku like a moron.

That's why I'm hoping that if it doesn't get addressed tomorrow, it's addressed when 17 meets up with Piccolo and 18.

They clearly have to comment on his power. Goku is whatever honestly. He didn't question Trunks after all.

Mister "wish I'd get that power on my own" gave no shit that Trunks put him to shame.

Not sure how that makes Goku a moron and Goku wouldn't question why Trunks got so strong since it was a transformation of rage, something Goku seen several times at this point, especially since Rage Vegeta happened only a few years ago. Goku is also the same person who didn't care that Trunks was Super Saiyan, despite there being no other Saiyan other than himself, Vegeta, and Gohan.

HeroR

Its the training method. No other character in the series has had that big of a power increase with just regular solo Earth training.

But we didn't even see what training Frieza did besides torturing Togamo and we never saw what 17 did. So, I am not really seeing the different here.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really want to try this game but fucking wooden stick instead of a sword is stupid.
Barely anyone in the game has a sword though.

Pan, Uub, Trunks, 17 son, Marron all exploring universe 1 with Jaco or something.

Piccolo should create a son so he can be friend with Pan.

Gimme this Toriyama.
*Cough*

Goten has always felt like the real inheritor of Goku's spirit to me. It doesn't manifest in a love for battle, but he's carefree, has a love for adventure, and is kind of a doofus. Gohan definitely has more of his mother in him.

Slaythe

Barely anyone in the game has a sword though.

*Cough*

Goten has always felt like the real inheritor of Goku's spirit to me. It doesn't manifest in a love for battle, but he's carefree, has a love for adventure, and is kind of a doofus. Gohan definitely has more of his mother in him.

*Ahem*

7f10a226a0af8d91ab4888ac1a9d2845.png

That ship has long sailed.

That being said, I'd love mini arcs about Goten. I actually liked GT Goten a lot (who was basically just inspired by end of Z Goten), so I'd like to see more of him on his own, sometimes with Trunks. Or as wild card in main arcs / fusion plot device.

But it can't work when you have Goku, Pan, and Uub in the same cast. That's far too many "heir" to Goku if you add Goten.

Skeeter49

Trunks would be better, fuck Goten. Having some of Vegeta's bloodline in the group is needed.

Goten can be developed in interesting ways, but as it stands Trunks is a more interesting character than Goten is, that's not even based off Super, even in Z it wasn't even close.

Most of the training aren't shown or extremely downplayed, yet people get huge power ups. All the humans cast went from weaker than Goku at the start of Z to beating up aliens who were equal to Raditz just being doing basic training with Kami for not even a year. This is despite Goku not getting such a huge boost when he trained with Kami for three years.

In practice it didn't matter that the humans got a big boost in the saiyan saga because they still ended up fodder to Nappa and Vegeta, they were still effectively and narratively in the same place they always were. Raditz is dead and gone and the saibaman were the mooks, not one of the strongest around like SSB Goku is.(and again the gap that SSG in Super created is a large part of this, the max visible "standard" of power/feats which hadn't increased since Namek suddenly jumped up to universe level)

In practice it didn't matter that the humans got a big boost in the saiyan saga because they still ended up fodder to Nappa and Vegeta, they were still effectively and narratively in the same place they always were. Raditz is dead and gone and the saibaman were the mooks, not one of the strongest around like SSB Goku is.(and again the gap that SSG in Super created is a large part of this, the max visible "standard" of power/feats which hadn't increased since Namek suddenly jumped up to universe level)

This reminds me.
Narratively, 17's in the same place too. Hes been top 5 power wise 90% of the time hes been on screen.

This reminds me.
Narratively, 17's in the same place too. Hes been top 5 power wise 90% of the time hes been on screen.

Narratively he got a brief moment of being top dog(s) and then was quickly overshadowed by Cell's mystery but power wise yes but then you run into the issue I stated after that, the giant chasm that SSG created and people certainly took notice of.

Trunks would be better, fuck Goten. Having some of Vegeta's bloodline in the group is needed.

Goten can be developed in interesting ways, but as it stands Trunks is a more interesting character than Goten is, that's not even based off Super, even in Z it wasn't even close.

Bra should fit the bill better.

But we didn't even see what training Frieza did besides torturing Togamo and we never saw what 17 did. So, I am not really seeing the different here.

Exactly. For all we know he found a planet with very extreme conditions to train in or he could have found a planet with 1000 times the normal gravity. We need to remember that Goku increased his power by over 10 times by training in 100 times gravity in just 6 days. His army could have also developed something very effective to help him train. The possibilities for what kind of training he could do are immense. We can't forget that he also had a new transformation.

17 on the other hand doesn't have that luxury. The only thing he could have done is mountain training without a partner. That's it.

Exactly. For all we know he found a planet with very extreme conditions to train in or he could have found a planet with 1000 times the normal gravity. We need to remember that Goku increased his power by over 10 times by training in 100 times gravity in just 6 days. His army could have also developed something very effective to help him train. The possibilities for what kind of training he could do are immense. We can't forget that he also had a new transformation.

17 on the other hand doesn't have that luxury. The only thing he could have done is mountain training without a partner. That's it.

Thats not true. He could have done any number of things. Mountain training is just the best guess you can come up with given the current info.
I want to throw this out there again, but 17 was wished back he should have been resurectex where he died, in other world where cell blew up king kai.
I doubt they would acknowledge that, but thats the start of a better explanation.

Thats not true. He could have done any number of things. Mountain training is just the best guess you can come up with given the current info.
I want to throw this out there again, but 17 was wished back he should have been resurectex where he died, in other world where cell blew up king kai.
I doubt they would acknowledge that, but thats the start of a better explanation.

Impossible. He would still be there, he has no means to return to Earth.

Besides if we go by that logic then he would have died when Cell got owned by Goku's Kamehameha.

Unless they pull something greater than the time chamber out of their ass, it could only be mountain training.

Impossible. He would still be there, he has no means to return to Earth.

Besides if we go by that logic then he would have died when Cell got owned by Goku's Kamehameha.

Unless they pull something greater than the time chamber out of their ass, it could only be mountain training.

Impossible lol.
Anyways you go with the Cell can regenerate them theory? But that would mean Gohan killed 17. Hence, isnt it a plothole he exists.
Anyways, toriyama could write he was absorbed into a workout universe or some nonsense. Applying so many limitations to a fantasy series is just a waste of effort.
We just have to wait and see. I want him to turn out to be tien's star pupil at the dojo myself lol.

Impossible lol.
Anyways you go with the Cell can regenerate them theory? But that would mean Gohan killed 17. Hence, isnt it a plothole he exists.
Anyways, toriyama could write he was absorbed into a workout universe or some nonsense. Applying so many limitations to a fantasy series is just a waste of effort.
We just have to wait and see. I want him to turn out to be tien's star pupil at the dojo myself lol.

Dr.-Evil-Sarcastic-Right-In-Austin-Powers-Gifs.gif

SolVanderlyn

*Ahem*

7f10a226a0af8d91ab4888ac1a9d2845.png

That ship has long sailed.

That being said, I'd love mini arcs about Goten. I actually liked GT Goten a lot (who was basically just inspired by end of Z Goten), so I'd like to see more of him on his own, sometimes with Trunks. Or as wild card in main arcs / fusion plot device.

But it can't work when you have Goku, Pan, and Uub in the same cast. That's far too many "heir" to Goku if you add Goten.
Uub is definitely the "fighter of justice" side of Goku. Pan is also in many ways like a more violent/headstrong version of him. Goten has his other personality traits, IMO.

He's not a successor of his fighting spirit, but more like his personal spirit.

HeroR

Or, Frieza did 1000 pushed up once a day after torturing Togamo, while 17 trained for five years straight without stopping.

You're assuming that Frieza went to some harsh world to train when nothing of the sort has been stated or even seen. It is about assumption as 17 just fighting poachers the entire time.

Or, Frieza did 1000 pushed up once a day after torturing Togamo, while 17 trained for five years straight without stopping.

You're assuming that Frieza went to some harsh world to train when nothing of the sort has been stated or even seen. It is about assumption as 17 just fighting poachers the entire time.

I'm saying that Freeza has way more options to get stronger than 17, who is stuck on Earth.

It makes way more sense for me for someone who has access to the whole universe to get stronger than someone who only has one planet to train on and he doesn't even use the best methods available on said planet.

HeroR

I'm saying that Freeza has way more options to get stronger than 17, who is stuck on Earth.

It makes way more sense for me for someone who has access to the whole universe to get stronger than someone who only has one planet to train on and he doesn't even use the best methods available on said planet.

The thing is that you're making it sound like being stuck on Earth is a hinderance when the opposite has been true in the past. I mean, Raditz has been fighting in space for decades against warriors from other worlds and a bunch of humans on Earth past him in less than a year by doing basic training. And for the record, Kami didn't really do anything with the humans cast, something he laughed about when asked if he gave Goku special training. The best they got specifically from Kami was ki training, which doesn't necessarily effect strength.

And the 'best method' has been shown to be the Hyperbolic Time Chamber where the results varies. Again, the humans got stronger than Raditz just being doing basic training and Raditz also had the entire universe. And as I pointed out, 17 can train for years straight without stopping when even Frieza would eventually need a water break.

On an unrelated note since I don't want to double post, I figured out why Merged Zamasu comes off as lackluster power wise in the manga to me, and it isn't just him throwing bricks. Since everyone is already dead in the manga, there is no real panic when seeing his power. Part of what made Merged Zamasu so powerful in the anime, despite his destruction being fairly limited, was that you had the people on Earth being stuck in ground zero and having no where to hide from this monster. They're force above ground where they can be vaporized by a random energy bolt and risked being buried alive if they stayed underground. We also see people around the world basically looking at the end of days. You feel for the humans because things were horrible before and now it just got worse. It doesn't help that despite Merged Zamasu's power, everyone comes off as chilled except Trunks.

Skeeter49

So we're making assumptions that Frieza did the most extreme stuff to get stronger, when nothing suggests that, while we go with 17 just killing poachers?

Frieza had more options, but 17 has much more options that hunting poachers, he has much more options that just training on earth. We know about a year or 2 of 17's life.

Kyzer

Banned
Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Ancient offscreen training technique

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| The whole last thread was the same shit

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Were still talking about 17 v Goku

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Power levels, big foot, and JFK. The truth is out there.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| It totally still makes sense if you think about it...really really hard

Kyzer

Banned
Lets go back ten years and Ill tell you about the all powerful cat god thats totally there, but doesnt help goku with all the villains cause hes too lazy.

even knowing beerus now why would he ever help Goku with that stuff? hes a God of Destruction he only gives a shit about food and making the saiyans strong enough to rep his universe/fight him for fun

NeonZ

Completely forgot about that. Wonder if they fixed it in the PAL release.

Nope. It's there too. What annoys me the most isn't even the model change, but how they changed the sound effects too, making the slices sound really weak.

even knowing beerus now why would he ever help Goku with that stuff? hes a God of Destruction he only gives a shit about food and making the saiyans strong enough to rep his universe/fight him for fun

The point isnt Beerus doesnt make sense. Its that they made him make sense.

Kyzer

Banned
The point isnt Beerus doesnt make sense. Its that they made him make sense.

I dont understand. Are you saying that it doesn't make sense that the God of Destruction wasn't helping protect the earth from villains, and that they had to make it make sense? It never didn't make sense. Beerus was one of those villains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom