• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

kswiston

Traditionally, Mid august through October, and Jan-April (minus the time around spring break) were the box office wastelands.

But the Winter/early Spring block has been really building up in recent years.

GhaleonEB

October's the dump month they don't want you to know about.

Top weekends according to BOMOJO:

1 Gravity
2 The Martian
3 Paranormal Activity 3
4 Jackass 3-D
5 Taken 2
6 Scary Movie 3
7 Shark Tale
8 High School Musical 3: Senior Year
9 Paranormal Activity 2
10 The Grudge

I got through those first two and was like, "It's not a dump mo...."

*reads rest of list*

original.gif

Slayven

October's the dump month they don't want you to know about.

Top weekends according to BOMOJO:

1 Gravity
2 The Martian
3 Paranormal Activity 3
4 Jackass 3-D
5 Taken 2
6 Scary Movie 3
7 Shark Tale
8 High School Musical 3: Senior Year
9 Paranormal Activity 2
10 The Grudge
High school Musical being on there says so much.....
Traditionally, Mid august through October, and Jan-April (minus the time around spring break) were the box office wastelands.

But the Winter/early Spring block has been really building up in recent years.

Feb is the new Jun, if you do it right. But i remember when Feb was all about releasing cheap horror movies around valentine day

hydruxo

Wow, Friend Request tanked. They didn't plan for IT to be doing so well in week 3. Movie looked comically bad to boot.

It took everything I had to not bust out laughing during the preview when they showed it before IT. Movie looked like such garbage that I'm amazed it even got the greenlight to begin with.

Slayven

It took everything I had to not bust out laughing during the preview when they showed it before IT. Movie looked like such garbage that I'm amazed it even got the greenlight to begin with.

The budget is only 10 million, so it's probably already profitable between box office and selling the broadcast rights.

Toa TAK

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates

1) Kingsman: The Golden Circle - $15.3M
2) IT - $9.1M (-53%) - $245M total
3) The LEGO Ninjago Movie - $5.8M
4) American Assassin - $1.9M (-68%) - $22M
5) Home Again - $1.1M (-36%) - $20M
6) mother! - $1.0M (-67%) - $11M total
7) Friend Request - $750k
8) Stronger - $520k
9) The Hitman's Bodyguard - $520k - $72M total
10) Brad's Status - $315k

Spider-Man Homecoming will probably end up at #11 this weekend, finally ending its run in the top 10.
mother! nooooooo

I think solo MCU movies are becoming that in name only. After CW, Iron Man 4 with Spider-Man, and Thor 3: Dark Harder, there's going to be a big push to have multiple characters in each movie.

I think solo MCU movies are becoming that in name only. After CW, Iron Man 4 with Spider-Man, and Thor 3: Dark Harder, there's going to be a big push to have multiple characters in each movie.

Marvel knows what people want, they love the teamups. It even started with Winter Soldier

hydruxo

The budget is only 10 million, so it's probably already profitable between box office and selling the broadcast rights.

I mean sure, but it's just a stupid concept in general. The thought of execs being ok with that movie being made is sad.

There is no fucking way it has made a profit on less than a million dollar box office. Especially since that reported budget surely doesn't include marketing.

Obviously I have no clue what broadcasting rights are good for.

There is no fucking way it has made a profit on less than a million dollar box office. Especially since that reported budget surely doesn't include marketing.

Obviously I have no clue what broadcasting rights are good for.

According to Jason Blum:

The studio typically spends no more than $4 million to $5 million on a film — and that number isn’t pulled out of thin air. Blum said digital distribution through channels like iTunes can guarantee about $2 million in sales in the U.S. and another $2 million overseas.

Have I got news for you, Toa TAK.

Not only does Kingsman 2 suffer tremendously from not having a villain as good as Gazelle, but Atomic Blonde is no longer the worst spy movie I've seen this year.

Slayven

Have I got news for you, Toa TAK.

Not only does Kingsman 2 suffer tremendously from not having a villain as good as Gazelle, but Atomic Blonde is no longer the worst spy movie I've seen this year.

I was wondering why the Kingsman 2 review thread blew up, sounds like a rush-to-sequelitis.

I was wondering why the Kingsman 2 review thread blew up, sounds like a rush-to-sequelitis.
Big time. I really liked the first one, probably around a B+ grade. But Kingsman 2 is like a D/D+ for me. Way too long, bad villains, Colin Firth's character gets done dirty and he seems to phone it in as a result, and it has one of the most uncomfortably sexist scenes I can recall seeing in theaters since Suicide Squad.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rather than go out to see the apparently disappointing Kingsman 2, I stayed in and watched Get Out for the first time. Damn, that was a good movie.

Slayven

Rather than go out to see the apparently disappointing Kingsman 2, I stayed in and watched Get Out for the first time. Damn, that was a good movie.

That movie has levels on levels.
Like how "bucks" was a term for male slaves. You know that and certain scenes take on more meaning

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

You chose wisely. Get Out is lean & mean, tight script with zero fat. I don't even know what's going on with Kingsman 2. It's bloated beyond belief, and apparently this is heavily cut down edit of the movie. How long was the script? It's so bizarre to me to have a 2 and half hour movie that doesn't have much of a story, and yet still manages to underutilize the characters it has.

Get Out is pretty much perfectly executed in all regards. My second favorite film of the year behind Dunkirk.

ohhh.png
I didn't catch that. I need to watch it again, actually interested to hear the commentary track which I almost never listen to anymore.
The commentary track is great. Unlike a lot of directors, Peele has no qualms explaining exactly what he wanted each scene to mean, which I loved.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That movie has levels on levels.
Like how "bucks" was a term for male slaves. You know that and certain scenes take on more meaning

ohhh.png
I didn't catch that. I need to watch it again, actually interested to hear the commentary track which I almost never listen to anymore.

Top Bottom