• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - First review

Nibiru

Banned
I wonder if I should get this having not played Demon Souls or Dark Souls before, i've read the plot is linked directly to Dark Souls 1 so...meh

You really should at least play Dark Souls 2. I mean the story is not at all important it's the experience that makes it worth playing.

4920194+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

HYPED AS FUCK

TEARS

syko de4d

Oh from Colin Gäbel, i trust his review. He is doing gaming shows in german television since 8-10 years (giga games and Vorzocker).

But need PC date :(

Why do you want to use a different control method for this particular series when it was designed from the ground up for the dual analog controller? Is it inconvenient to play with the 360 controller on PC?

1.Buttons - keys, same thing. As long as the control scheme works or can be customized the game will be fine.
2.Controllers give me hand cramps.
3.Keyboard and Mouse is just better. If the game does proper keyboard and mouse support then I can map actions to my mouse and macro-keys on my keyboard for combos or easy access.

Tex117

Banned
So they gave both Dark games higher scores than Demon Souls? Don't know if I can take them serious.

Meh, most reviewers were discovering the game like we were at the time.

Kinda like the guys at Sony who passed on publishing it in the West, it goes something like this:

(1) Pick up controller
(2) Walk forward
(3) Die
(4) Okay, walk forward...you try and pause to ask the guy standing there at the booth to help...No pause. die.
(5) WTF is this shit?
(6) Die
(7) Die
(8) Da Faque?

Here is the juncture, either you put down the controller and say, welp, that's that...its shit..unplayable, or you keep playing

If you keep playing'
(9) Oh, shit! I get it! HOLY EFF BALLS THIS GAME IS AMAZING

So, if a reviewer game Demon's a lower score, I don't hold it against them. It was hard to know exactly what you were playing back in those days.

GetemMa

Amazon has the PC version listed for May.

God I hope that is some sick joke. I really hope they stick to their end of March statement.

I want to play this game more than anything announced for this year.

bj00rn_

Banned
I've been repeating this since Demon's Souls was released but I still don't understand why people qualify souls series as hard. It has the fairest, most straightforward and deep game mechanics I have ever seen in an roleplaying game.

I don't think any of the Souls games are hard, they are fair games. They require observation, they require that you improve as a player, rather than you to improve your character by grinding, and both you and your enemies are prone to the same rules, the same weaknesses and strengths that the game allows you to use.

I'm always puzzled by posts like these..I mean even the devs themselves say it's a hard game. DS isn't exactly flawless either because there's more than enough bullshit in there, although still a great game (and yes I've completed the game a couple of times too..)

inm8num2

I strangely can't wait to see how people respond to DS II. Haven't played the first one but can appreciate how much people enjoyed it.

BigDug13

1.Buttons - keys, same thing. As long as the control scheme works or can be customized the game will be fine.
2.Controllers give me hand cramps.
3.Keyboard and Mouse is just better. If the game does proper keyboard and mouse support then I can map actions to my mouse and macro-keys on my keyboard for combos or easy access.

You'll be disappointed. These guys only put the first game on PC 10 months after the console versions because of a petition and they did a straight port with very limited customization. It was essentially the console game ported to PC exactly, including its complete reliance on using a dual analog controller to be effective.

I have huge doubts that any of that will change with DSII except maybe they'll actually add some of the DSFIX .ini tweaks as options in DSII so that we won't have to have DSIIFIX.

(who am I kidding. We will still need/want a DSIIfix)

Fbh

I've been repeating this since Demon's Souls was released but I still don't understand why people qualify the Souls series as hard. It has the fairest, most straightforward and deep game mechanics I have ever seen in an roleplaying game.

I don't think any of the Souls games are hard, they are fair games. They require observation, they require that you improve as a player, rather than you to improve your character by grinding, and both you and your enemies are prone to the same rules, the same weaknesses and strengths that the game allows you to use.

THIS.

I know people hate it when someone says that the souls franchise isn't that hard because it sound like "you are trying to show off " but that's not it.

The souls franchise truly isn't that hard. If we go by pure "finger skills" and "fast reflexes" I'd say stuff like Ninja Gaiden 1 or even 2 are harder (even on warrior difficulty), or you know Super Meat Boy or Hard Corps Uprising.

But the souls franchise is just a game that demands the player to use observation and take things slowly. If you go running around like you are Kratos then of course it will be hard because that's not how it was designed to be played. Do that and it's really not that hard.

One thing I love about the souls franchise is that your experience as a player with the game is more important the in game experience point. You go somewhere, die but then you learned about that area and that oponen so it shouldn't happen again.
Stuff like Ornstein and smough are hard, sure. But every time you die you learn a bit about the boss and by the end you realize that there are several ways to defeat them-

Plus it has an easy mode. Seriously, just summon people. Every single boss in the game is literally a joke if you summon 2 people to help you (as long as they are not trolls)

Visceir

Was really hyped for this game a few weeks ago, thankfully my hype has died down, should make it easier to wait for the PC release.

ViviOggi

Haven't been keeping up with German gaming mags for a while now but I remember M!Games being one of the few decent ones. I'll have to go to the store later, will grab a copy in case they got it early.

Grief.exe

Amazon has the PC version listed for May.

God I hope that is some sick joke. I really hope they stick to their end of March statement.

I want to play this game more than anything announced for this year.

Amazon just adds placeholder dates to cover their asses, truth is no one knows right now except for From.
Going off of their statements and what is listed on their website, we should expect the PC release within March.

I wouldn't read too much into 1 score form a random mag. Lets wait till we get see the overall picture. Not that I care. Had Demons before any score came out and have DS2 pre ordered even if it reviews poorly which is unlikely.

Shinjica

Amazon just adds placeholder dates to cover their asses, truth is no one knows right now except for From.
Going off of their statements and what is listed on their website, we should expect the PC release within March.

one recent interview said that is "weeks" away and not "months" so march is still not a sure date.

spliced

I'll be interested to see if any reviews talk about how if the quality of the levels are more balanced this time. No matter how many times I play I cannot enjoy that big stupid lava room in Lost Izalith, I hate how terrible that area is.

Garcia

Convenient is the key word for me. I like how it sounds for Dark Souls.

Praise the fast travel. I just want to get better at the game, not waste hours repeating the same corridors killing the same enemies over and over again just because I made a mistake.

I'll be interested to see if any reviews talk about how if the quality of the levels are more balanced this time. No matter how many times I play I cannot enjoy that big stupid lava room in Lost Izalith, I hate how terrible that area is.

Lost Izalith is a fucking practical joke. Either that or it's just one of the best examples of how to get lazy in the late stages of a game's production. Insufferable mess indeed.

Top Bottom