• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Ape

Banned
Welcome to the Emo Music thread! This will be where we all recommend and talk about everything that is and was "Emo" music.

Bands:
Your favorite bands from back in the day have probably broken up. Sorry.

Jimmy Eat World

Dashboard Confessional

Senses Fail

Funeral for a Friend

My Chemical Romance

The Hotelier

Thursday

Plaids

Human Hands

Temper and Hold

Saves the Day

Taking Back Sunday

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, if you want anything else added just let me know! Otherwise part your hair to either side and enjoy the thread.

Brand New

Brand+New+The+Devil+And+God+Are+Raging+Inside+Me.png

Shame on OP for not including them.

Edit: Did you also use i's instead of pipes (|) around "OT"? It looks like it says ioti in all caps. I'm just being picky now...

Crayons

Banned
The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die - Whenever, if ever

Sorority Noise - Forgettable

American Football - American Football

I'm glad this thread exists. I used to love bands like Brand New, and Taking Back Sunday is probably still my favorite band ever. Adam Lazzara is the man, and they still make pretty consistently good music in my opinion.

Ape

Banned
Brand New

Brand+New+The+Devil+And+God+Are+Raging+Inside+Me.png

Shame on OP for not including them.

Edit: Did you also use i's instead of pipes (|) around "OT"? It looks like it says ioti in all caps. I'm just being picky now...

yeah my laptop has the backslash button stuck so that was my work around. I didn't want to copy paste everything to myself and send it to the mac, it's probably going to bother me the more I look at it. maybe ill get it changed by a mod actually.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I feel like at my age I should have outgrown these types of bands, don't tell anyone >_>

Isn't fallout boy considered emo?

No Acceptance saw them a few time in Seattle loved them
Acceptance_Phantoms_Cover.jpg

Also Scary kids, scaring kids
Halifax
Funeral for a Friend
Hello, Goodbye
MatchBox romance
I am ghost
Alexisonfire

I feel like at my age I should have outgrown these types of bands, don't tell anyone >_>

Isn't fallout boy considered emo?

id say that ther Take This To Your Grave - and From Under the Cork Tree are Emo, all other albums after are pop/punk

absolutely love these bands. Shmap'n Shmazz is one of my top vinyl priorities at the moment. Have you heard of malegoat? They're one of the few bands that I've been able to find that capture this sound well and they're just really fucking fun to listen to. I own pretty much everything they put out. They just dropped a new 7" split and are currently touring with Mineral (!) and recording a new album (!!!).

listen

nowarning

Yeah I'm not sure where I stand on all that stuff, to me it's not really emo but it was just a marketing term coined by the likes of Kerrang! in the early 2000's and none of the bands like that mentioned have the right sound IMO. Like Funeral For a Friend aren't really emo at all, if anything they were more post-hardcore (the last record i heard by them was the first full length, i didn't pay them any attention after that).

Yeah I'm not sure where I stand on all that stuff, to me it's not really emo but it was just a marketing term coined by the likes of Kerrang! in the early 2000's and none of the bands like that mentioned have the right sound IMO. Like Funeral For a Friend aren't really emo at all, if anything they were more post-hardcore (the last record i heard by them was the first full length).

Emo then wasn't a genre but a clothing style. Completely bastardized the term.

nowarning

Emo then wasn't a genre but a clothing style. Completely bastardized the term.

Yeah that's all they made it out to be, emo music had been around quite a while before all that stuff, there were good bands still doing work whilst all that early/mid 2000's wave was getting it's arse kissed by Kerrang! and AP. There were still bands carrying the torch so I like to think of all them bands like FFAF etc. as something completely different, haha.

I think it's nice that there's a nice thread for people to talk about emo music.

It always bothered me how so people were so negative toward emo music. It seemed like so many people were against emo and emo music. When people talked about emo, it seemed like a lot of people would say femmephobic and homophobic things. And insensitive things toward depressed people.

I like and respect emo.
And while I don't like hardcore punk as much as hardcore techno, I try to be an open minded person and like lots of different genres. And while I like listening to happy music like hardcore techno, emo music is can be such a wonderful, empathetic experience, listening to other people's pain and sad emotions when listening to music.

Maybe this is my view.. because I know not all emo music is about negative emotions. But when I listen to people in emo, and when sometimes they do sing about negative feelings and experiences, I feel so much empathy. I feel like I'm united in a human condition with someone.

I know of a screamo band that shared their music with me. And told me how one of their songs was about a friend of their who died. When I listened to it. I wanted to scream along with them and share in their pain. I understood how they felt.

I feel like while focusing on good emotions like happiness can be good. Not everyone can do that, and sometimes that would just be bottling up your emotions. You should be able to express your feelings, whether they're profound sadness or happiness. And I'm happy that hardcore music has been able to allow people to express both.

nowarning

Get some revival stuff in here too.

Dikembe

Dads

You Blew It

Frameworks

Really dug the hell out of this song. Reminded me of Kill Sadie's one album with Steve Snere, who was later in These Arms Are Snakes.

Yeah Kill Sadie are pretty good man, I've only heard one record though so I'll have to look up some more. I think one of the guys in Kill Sadie went on to play in Minus The Bear with a guy from Botch, sounds nothing like you might think it would haha

I'm glad you liked that PoP song! The 0101010101 LP that song is from is my favorite out of all the screamo stuff. It's so moody, I love the guitar tones and the way the pull-offs sound (I think it's tuned down about 2 and a half steps on guitar). Funeral Diner, ....Who Calls So Loud and Torches To Rome all had ex-members of PoP, there was a few others but I'm not keen on them enough to mention them.

For more modern stuff I'd put forward:

Joie De Vivre
Grown Ups
You Blew It! (again!)
Prawn
Football etc.
Algernon Cadwallader
Empire! Empire! (I was a lonely estate)
The Blue Period
Penpal
Coate

nowarning

Me, too! I just love how ambient they can be. It's such soothing music, for music with screaming in it. It can be such relieving music.

Some of my favourite Portraits of Past songs are Bang Yer Head, Something Less Than Intended, and Snicker Snicker.

Yeaaaah! The guitar break in Bang Yer Head that starts around 3 minutes is one my favorite bits of the whole LP! It's such a good record, it flows so well and I just love the sound it has. If I'm ever feeling down I love listening to it, I dunno maybe it's a bit weird but it's so moody it is perfect haha. The stuff they did after they got back together is pretty good too but the LP is my favorite.

Can't beat stuff like that, Indian Summer were awesome too. One of my favorite things in the world is this type of music with less than stellar production and the sound of the record popping.

oh wow, The Appleseed Cast, Cross My Heart, Jazz June AND Shotmaker on the first page? awesome. i'm glad this stuff isn't forgotten. some truly special music to me.. i almost can't listen to Jazz June's "Balance", that song gets me too nostalgic. yeah i can't listen to it. maybe some day. oh man this post got pretty emo.

edit: any love for Twelve Hour Turn? "Perfect Progress, Perfect Destruction" is probably my favorite emo album ever, and will of course never be topped.

ohkay

I keep reading about this "revival" and listened to the Hotelier album, which is amazing. What are the other bands that are putting out solid music right now?

Top Bottom