• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parappa Voice Actor Leads Petition for PaRappa The Rapper 3 (junkiemonkeys.org)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The second game killed the franchise. The first one was very successful, but the second ... yeash.
It sold really poorly, at least in the west. Not sure how it did in Japan in comparison. But SCEA did a piss poor job pushing any of the games.

Quality wise, the first three songs in the game are among the best in the entire series canon (come at me), but it falls to shit after that.

They should do this:

• Create a new game set in the Parappa world that is a band/group/diva simulator
  • You create characters, make songs, record your vocals, and share it
  • The game itself has RPG and Simulator-esque elements, causing a risk vs reward with your choices
  • The goal is start out small (garage band) and make it big (headline for Parappa/MilkCan)
  • You can put on concerts, make music vids, and cribs style videos - all tongue in cheek
  • It's free to play, Vita/PS3/PS4, only pay for costumes and effect equipment
  • Call it BeatTown
tumblr_mhdc8xLGGQ1rmhgebo1_500.gif

No offense but this is the exact opposite of what I want. I hope this isn't what we get. Also, if they called it "BeatTown" and not the extremely obivous "PaRappaTown" I'd cry.

I want a game very similar to PaRappa 1/2 & Lammy. I want a wacky story, I want pure rhythm action gameplay. That's all I ask for. I've been wanting this for 10 years. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for a new game in the series (even though I assume most people think it's something that's only worth $10 on PSN or something, ugh). I'd buy a new console for it. I'd do whatever I had to.

No offense but this is the exact opposite of what I want. I want a game very similar to PaRappa 1/2 & Lammy. I want a wacky story, I want pure rhythm action gameplay. That's all I ask for. I've been wanting this for 10 years. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for a new game in the series. I'd buy a new console for it. I'd do whatever I had to.

Well it could have all of that in it too! Story mode would be a Parappa or Lammy gig. Career mode would give new life to the series :)

ToxicAdam

Seems like the perfect vehicle for a mobile game. Cash in on people's nostalgia for the old songs and charge them IAP for new songs.

fvng

Well it could have all of that in it too! Story mode would be a Parappa or Lammy gig. Career mode would give new life to the series :)

Precisely, would love a 9-15 hour parappa adventure with old school adventure game elements mixed with the old school rap battles

Takao

Banned
It sold really poorly, at least in the west. Not sure how it did in Japan in comparison. But SCEA did a piss poor job pushing any of the games.

Here are the sales for the Parappa games in Japan:

[PS1] PaRappa the Rapper (SCE) - 28,082 / 938,145
[PS1] PaRappa the Rapper [Playstation the Best] (SCE) - 14,514 / 306,261

[PS1] Um Jammer Lammy (SCE) - 181,904 / 406,376

[PS2] PaRappa the Rapper 2 (SCE) - 50,193 / 98,251

[PSP] PaRappa the Rapper (SCE) - 4,200 / 4,200

First game's success had Parappa become a mascot for PlayStation in Japan alongside Crash Bandicoot, Chocobo, Toro, and Ape Escape Monkey.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The Beard Burger and Giant Ant songs in 2 were really good, I felt. Everything else, meh.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

First game's success had Parappa become a mascot for PlayStation in Japan alongside Crash Bandicoot, Chocobo, Toro, and Ape Escape Monkey.
Wow PaRappa 2 did a bit worse than I thought, especially since there was the PaRappa anime around the same time. I'm one of those 4,200 who bought the PSP version week one (plus both the PaRappa and PJ Berri PSP cases). :( #RIP

The Beard Burger and Giant Ant songs in 2 were really good, I felt. Everything else, meh.
I loved Chop Chop Master Onion's song, too. The whole thing was such a fun play on male relationships. I found it super charming.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It was a pretty stupid idea to charge full price for a PS1 port.
A shitty PS1 port, years after the series had been super popular, at the same time they were bundling the entire IQ & Xi series onto single UMDs and selling them for about the same price. But I bought it immediately anyway to show my support.

5amshift

Banned
I've been wanting a new PaRappa for years now. I own the USA, PAL, JAP copies of Parappa The Rapper on PS. USA and JP for Um Jammer Lammy, and just the USA copy for PSP. The game has been a huge part of my life.

Hoping for a PS4 release down the road with cross-play to Vita.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Would be perfect for Vita....couldnt really justify there being a $60 game
There hasn't been a single game this generation that would be more worth $60 to me than a new PaRappa game, but again, I'm in the minority.

I've been wanting a new PaRappa for years now. I own the USA, PAL, JAP copies of Parappa The Rapper on PS. USA and JP for Um Jammer Lammy, and just the USA copy for PSP. The game has been a huge part of my life.

Hoping for a PS4 release down the road with cross-play to Vita.
I've got USA & JP copies of PSX PaRappa and Lammy, JP copy of PaRappa PSP and a JP copy of vib-ribbon. I should add Euro copies of the three PSX games for collection's sake. I've been kicking around the idea of buying sealed JP copies of PaRappa and Lammy to keep socked away, too.

Oh, and I have the awesome Kid Robot x PJ Berri plush at my desk at work:

Jyd5VHf.jpg

Neff

Parappa 2 is really underrated. The gameplay is infinitely slicker, the graphics are gorgeous, and the songs imo are an improvement on the first game's already amazing soundtrack.

Give me Parappa 3.

Since Um Jammer Lammy is my #1 favorite rhythm game (tied with Space Channel 5 and Rhythm Tengoku) I would be all over it. It's almost a system seller.

What's Masaya Matsuura doing now, anyway?

re: Parappa 2, I don't like it as much as 1. It's also ridiculously hard to get Cool. Lammy was comparatively a little too easy to get Cool.

Would be perfect for Vita....couldnt really justify there being a $60 game

Even though I think it should be retail for a reasonable $30 or $40, sadly, they'd probably go the download only route.

Camjo-Z

Oh, and I have the awesome Kid Robot x PJ Berri plush at my desk at work:

Jyd5VHf.jpg

...I need to get myself one of these.

Hmm... I know that he's been working on a lot of random games like the Tamagotchi Corner Shop games, Haunt for Kinect, and some iOS stuff, but nothing that high-profile. Although he has recently been putting some cool songs on his SoundCloud. This one went straight on my iTunes!

Hmm... I know that he's been working on a lot of random games like the Tamagotchi Corner Shop games, Haunt for Kinect, and some iOS stuff, but nothing that high-profile. Although he has recently been putting some cool songs on his SoundCloud. This one went straight on my iTunes!

Huh, didn't know he had a SoundCloud.

Well there goes the next few hours of my day. :p

Salsa

They should do this:

• Create a new game set in the Parappa world that is a band/group/diva simulator
  • You create characters, make songs, record your vocals, and share it
  • The game itself has RPG and Simulator-esque elements, causing a risk vs reward with your choices
  • The goal is start out small (garage band) and make it big (headline for Parappa/MilkCan)
  • You can put on concerts, make music vids, and cribs style videos - all tongue in cheek
  • It's free to play, Vita/PS3/PS4, only pay for costumes and effect equipment
  • Call it BeatTown

This too! :)

oh god what the fuck am I reading

anyway, i'd buy a PS4 for Parappa, and 10 copies

I always thought that if they do a Parappa 3 they should do it as a full-on fleshed out team up with Lammy though. A game with as little content as Parappa 1 and 2 wouldn't justify for a retail release I think. They need a way to put more content in there and doing something like that would be wise.

so basically no cutting corners

man i'd fucking kill for Parappa 3. It's the one IP Sony has that I actually give a shit about

Camjo-Z

You know, I always thought it was a little strange that out of the entire series, there has been only one rap battle (Noodles Can't Be Beat). They should add more of those in PaRappa 3, it's funny to see him acting like he's a serious rapper.

Parappa 2 is fucking great. Obviously not as good as the first but people hating on it just cant handle these toasty buns

I heard bad things about PaRappa 2 before I actually played it, so when I popped in the disc and heard that as the first song I knew the haters were wrong!

Probably working on or hoping that Sony greenlights Parappa Vita

Parappa the Rapper hasn't been heard from since the PS2's Parappa the Rapper 2 -- unless you count the Japan-only cartoon, or the PSP port of the first game. However, creator Masaya Matsuura told me during a pre-TGS meeting that the flat, self-doubting puppy remains in his thoughts. "We always think about the possibility of remaking or rebuilding or making sequels," Matsuura said.

He told me that he prefers handheld platforms to consoles for rhythm games, because the built-in screens reduce the risk of latency between the controller input and the on-screen display. And thus the PlayStation Vita represents a "good chance" for him to revisit his signature series.

There is another factor that's been holding the series back recently. "It's not just content issues -- there's also business issues," NanaOn-Sha director of development Dewi Tanner explained. "How people pay for games has changed compared to 15 years ago. We're not sure that people would be willing to pay $50 for something with 5, 6 stages." While games like Rock Band allow developers to use premade, licensed music and build universal animations, in a game like Parappa "you have to build everything up for these character-based music games. Music, animations, settings, script, and so on."

Rather than attempt to compete with modern retail music games by releasing a Parappa at an unpalatable price, or artificially extending it ("I'm not sure a 20-hour Parappa experience would be that fun," Tanner noted. "It would take us like 30 years to make.") NanaOn-Sha is considering new models. "We feel now that there's so many different ways of purchasing games and evaluating games that maybe there'll be one that matches Parappa well," Tanner said.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/27/parappa-the-rapper-could-return-via-new-business-models-or-vita/

A digital model seems perfect for Parappa universe. It would allow them to continually release new stages, different genres and stories. Assuming that it's profitable. The only problem is that Sony seems to have all but forgotten about most of their PSone generation franchises.

Still very hard to believe Sony has done little with the IP this generation behind a PSP port and making the PS1 original available...im Japan only. Not US or EU from what I remember.

Especially with PSN, you'd think if they would want to take retail risk they could still do a quality product for PSN. Here's hoping with PS4 or Vita. Just one, not both. Preferably Vita.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
It'll probably end up being a Move game with dance/rap sessions. In that case, sort of want if not just for the party game aspect.

Threi

notag
You know, I always thought it was a little strange that out of the entire series, there has been only one rap battle (Noodles Can't Be Beat). They should add more of those in PaRappa 3, it's funny to see him acting like he's a serious rapper.
Thanks brother, for lettin me understand that a man must understand to keep his options open

Spiegel

[PS1] PaRappa the Rapper (SCE) - 28,082 / 938,145
[PS1] PaRappa the Rapper [Playstation the Best] (SCE) - 14,514 / 306,261

[PS1] Um Jammer Lammy (SCE) - 181,904 / 406,376

SCE PS1 era was a beast in Japan.

Now they're just a joke.

Camjo-Z

Still very hard to believe Sony has done little with the IP this generation behind a PSP port and making the PS1 original available...im Japan only. Not US or EU from what I remember.

They don't even have it on PS1 Classics in Japan! They just want people to buy the overpriced PSP port for $22.99, which is absurd when UmJammer Lammy costs $6 and you can play it on your PSP/Vita AND PS3.

Speaking of which, why isn't PaRappa 2 a PS2 Classic yet? It's not like they're saving it for an HD Collection so you'd think it would be there by now instead of all those useless Dora titles.

Takao

Banned
SCE PS1 era was a beast in Japan.

Now they're just a joke.

A very weird thing is that SCE pretty much abandoned making shows based on their IPs once the PS1 was done. Parappa, Wild ARMs, Popolocrois, and Ape Escape all had TV series. Only one of their IPs to get a TV anime post-PS1 was another Ape Escape series.

You'd think that would be easy for a company who owns a television production arm ...

Muffdraul

I notice nobody's bitching about Parappa 1 not being on PSN yet. Did it finally get released and I missed it? Or did Sony give a valid excuse at some point?

Camjo-Z

I notice nobody's bitching about Parappa 1 not being on PSN yet. Did it finally get released and I missed it? Or did Sony give a valid excuse at some point?

They don't even have it on PS1 Classics in Japan! They (probably) just want people to buy the overpriced PSP port for $22.99, which is absurd when UmJammer Lammy costs $6 and you can play it on your PSP/Vita AND PS3.

Perhaps if enough people whine about it they'd finally put it up... I hereby initiate the "Complain to @yosp about getting the PaRappa games on PSN" movement!

Parappa 3
MediEvil 3
Ape Escape 4
Syphon Filter 4

For the old fanbase. (Toy Story 3 came out and it made us pretty nostalgic.)

Camjo-Z

I Co-sign on this

Shit I would settle for a Parappa PSN avatar at this point

Well, you can buy a PaRappa theme for your XMB. (which features some obnoxiously loud sound effects but w/e I use it as the theme for my JP account)

Epcott

Open world citry with "missions", upgrades (like vocabulary and street cred) random rap fights, and an undergound rap battle circut with bosses like 8mile, and I'm in!

Amir0x

Banned
it's kind of hilarious how awkwardly bad the original game is by my standards today, but there is still some -very basic, super low-level - enjoyment to be get out of the bizarre little songs and art style.

I would support Parappa 3 if it was like a totally new type of rhythm game or they really figured out a way to put some added meat on the bones

Top Bottom