• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfried

I don't really care for Achievements.

I mean, if it's there, fine. But one thing I hate hate HATE is the fact you can never seem to turn off Achievment notifications without turning off ALL notifications (I'm looking at you still, Steam). I just wish the OS/game would stop telling me with all the stupid prompts popping up that I have "something I could brag about".

So yeah, I really hate that it breaks immersion. If developers need heuristicis, I prefer they do not tell me.

Felensis

Banned
Honestly, that is my biggest complaint with Achievements/Trophies. I 100% find myself looking for the easiest ways to collect all of them rather than just enjoying the game. I honestly prefer what Nintendo does with Mario games where you just have stars on your save file for completing certain things.

There are examples of great trophy implementation, but it just seems like those games are few and far between.

This. Thanks Nintendo for being different. As soon as a trophy system gets implemented my OCD kicks in and destroys the fun.

univbee

A bit of an out-there question.

I live in NA, currently have an EU physical copy of Breath of the Wild. If I later purchase the digital NA version, will the save file still work, or does the Switch flag the EU and US versions as different SKU's with distinct saves?

HeeHo

Honestly, that is my biggest complaint with Achievements/Trophies. I 100% find myself looking for the easiest ways to collect all of them rather than just enjoying the game. I honestly prefer what Nintendo does with Mario games where you just have stars on your save file for completing certain things.

There are examples of great trophy implementation, but it just seems like those games are few and far between.
I am FOR keeping trophies on PS2 classics because of consumer demand. I am also FOR trophies on Switch because I know non- hardcore Nintendo fans like them.

But I personally am so glad the Switch doesn't have them. I hate having that "oh you're only 15% through the game because you've only FINISHED IT" award system.

I don't have time to 100% games any more,so having something that encourages me to overplay games isn't appreciated.
This. Thanks Nintendo for being different. As soon as a trophy system gets implemented my OCD kicks in and destroys the fun.

There are definitely two sides to it for me as well. In a sense it's a lot more relaxing to not worry about achievements but even when I get a game where I start off really caring about them, I usually just say whatever and am just glad the system is in place if I want them.

BizzyBum

I ordered Binding of Isaac off Amazon a couple of days ago and didn't realize Nicalis changed the cover art for their second shipments.
C8_vKTOUMAAJXcm.jpg

I think it looks way better!

I am FOR keeping trophies on PS2 classics because of consumer demand. I am also FOR trophies on Switch because I know non- hardcore Nintendo fans like them.

But I personally am so glad the Switch doesn't have them. I hate having that "oh you're only 15% through the game because you've only FINISHED IT" award system.

I don't have time to 100% games any more,so having something that encourages me to overplay games isn't appreciated.

All this. I only think Switch should have achievements because a lot of people want it, apparently.

I love having no idea of Zelda's scope beyond the basic framing of the objectives.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Graceful Explosion Machine vs Blaster Master Zero. What would you recommend?

Explosion Machine is really great imo right up there with Resogun on PS4. It's also great value if you like to try and beat your own high scores.

I ordered Binding of Isaac off Amazon a couple of days ago and didn't realize Nicalis changed the cover art for their second shipments.

I think it looks way better!

Since this still isn't out in the UK for some strange reason. Anyone know if I bought the American physical version would I need to make an American account and flip over to play it or would it just work with my UK account? Cheers.

F34R

Too late now, but Best Buy GCU+Visa Checkout deal. I'll probably wait for that to come around again to get MK8D. Or just impulse buy it cause I have a bunch of gift card credit at Best Buy.

Not great but Amazon is (was?) offering $22-23 or so. I figure I'd never play the Wii U one again so just traded mine in there.

Glad I saw this!! LOL. I ended up getting it for the Switch for.... wait for it!!.....

mkswitchorder.png

Plum

So turns out my Joy-Con has the infamous sync issues. Only found out today because my Pro Controller ran out of battery. How long does a fix or replacement usually take? If I could get them fixed or replaced by next Friday for Mario Kart that would be great.

I am not sure if this has been asked or noticed before

but I have a twitter account that I signed into and linked to my Nintendo Switch

I was sent an email by Twitter that someone on a Safari browser logged into my account (a warning I get sometimes when I use a new device)

If you linked to twitter do you get the same warning?

I was just wondering if Twitter is recognizing whatever Nintendo is using as a Safari Mac browser ?

Kudo

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to try to run the switch into my xrgb mini upscaler to get 1080p out of it. Hoping it will reduce the frame drops in zelda.

Sorry to say but read above, it won't reduce the frame drops, DigitalFoundry tested this. Games still render internally with the same resolution so 900p for Zelda.

Kangi

Since I'm kinda sorta somewhere along the process of maybe wrapping up with Zelda, I'm trying to decide on an eShop game to help with the wait until Splatoon 2. Can't decide among Snipperclips (I'd be able to play it multiplayer, but am worried about running out of content too quickly), Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (am not typically a fan of RPGs but dat art style), or Fast RMX (looks like a ton of fun but am wary of the bad rubberbanding). Think I'm leaning toward RMX...

Twenty bucks from unspent Wii U eShop funds. And no, no interest in PPT.
Oh ok. :)

Snipperclips is excellent, but I think it would probably only take 2-3 hours to complete with someone. There are some mini games afterwards which are fun but I can't see that being something you go back to frequently.

Haven't played the other two so can't comment, but I can say that Graceful Explosion Machine is really fun if you like that sort of arcade shooter thing. It's really addictive.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

but I have a twitter account that I signed into and linked to my Nintendo Switch

I was sent an email by Twitter that someone on a Safari browser logged into my account (a warning I get sometimes when I use a new device)

I was just wondering if Twitter is recognizing whatever Nintendo is using as a Safari Mac browser ?

I believe that's the case.

NimbusD

Well that was a waste... Got an Ethernet adapter for the dock cuz I found one pretty cheap. Just tested it and I'm getting pretty much the same exact speeds that I was getting wireless, lol. Should have tested my wireless speed first before deciding I needed something else.

japtor

Glad I saw this!! LOL. I ended up getting it for the Switch for.... wait for it!!.....

mkswitchorder.png
Haha damn, did they up the trade in value or did you have a few bucks left over?
so the rumors were true? there is a hidden browser based on Safari?

kinda weird we don't have an official browser yet
Safari (along with most mobile stuff at this point) is based on WebKit. The Switch browser isn't a rumor, it's just so far only used for wifi login portals and the Twitter/Facebook posting stuff. It's made by Netfront iirc (they had a press release and all), and they use WebKit as well. The user agent string (what the browser tells the server it is or is like) might've mentioned Safari cause that's the most common WebKit browser. Well that and Chrome, although technically they kinda forked off to their own thing.

(...and WebKit itself is a fork of KHTML way way way back, but that's another story)

Edit: forgot to mention this stand came in today:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSZCTX3/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty solid, not that tiny but not too big and folds somewhat flat I guess (the prong things stick out). Super adjustable and leaves space for the charger port if you need that.

F34R

Haha damn, did they up the trade in value or did you have a few bucks left over?

Nah... I clicked on Assassins Creed III Wii U and it added $1.05 lol.

Safari (along with most mobile stuff at this point) is based on WebKit. The Switch browser isn't a rumor, it's just so far only used for wifi login portals and the Twitter/Facebook posting stuff. It's made by Netfront iirc (they had a press release and all), and they use WebKit as well. The user agent string (what the browser tells the server it is or is like) might've mentioned Safari cause that's the most common WebKit browser. Well that and Chrome, although technically they kinda forked off to their own thing.

(...and WebKit itself is a fork of KHTML way way way back, but that's another story)

Edit: forgot to mention this stand came in today:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSZCTX3/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty solid, not that tiny but not too big and folds somewhat flat I guess (the prong things stick out). Super adjustable and leaves space for the charger port if you need that.
in bold...

jwk94

Yep, it does.

Made a Japan account and bought Disgaea 5. I couldn't wait any more. I wanted to keep all my games on one account but whatever.

I was getting a bit burnt out on Zelda so I went ahead and just beat it. Will wait for the DLC.

me0wish

Graceful Explosion Machine vs Blaster Master Zero. What would you recommend?

I didn't play GEM yet, I like high score games, but from what I've seen, GEM seems to be a bit lacking in variety and gets repetitive quickly.

BMZ is great, I'd even say amazing, it feels great to play, with very satisfying exploration and great music, I enjoyed BMZ A LOT. My main problem with it is the level design, it's nice with some great moments, but difficulty was too easy and doesn't scale well. While the abilities are fun and creative, I didn't feel that the levels were designed well enough to take advantage of the tools the game provides you with.

sleepnaught

I'm still salty about the poor wifi reception the Switch has. There should be some regulation mandating something better than this. I'm literally at one bar on the the other side of the bedroom wall. If I'm in my kitchen or living room I get no connection. Meanwhile, every other wifi device is at near max reception. I guess I'll have to invest into one of those $200 wireless routers to use this outside of my bedroom.

Forkball

I'm still salty about the poor wifi reception the Switch has. There should be some regulation mandating something better than this. I'm literally at one bar on the there side of the bedroom wall. If I'm in my kitchen or living room I get no connection. Meanwhile, every other wifi device is at near max reception. I guess I'll have to invest into one of those $200 wireless routers to use this outside of my bedroom.
I also have this problem, but noticed that if I connect close to the router and then dock it, the system is able to maintain a connection. I tried this with Splatoon 2 and I didn't have any issues. Still a rather ridiculous solution.

watershed

Banned
Is it possible the Switch wifi icon is inaccurate because my Switch never shows 3 bars but I had no issues during the Splatoon testfire or using the eshop/downloading games.

I have full bars in my general living area and just lose one when I go to any other room. No matter the bars im always at 35-40 megabits down and 7-9 megabits up (in a 100/10 connection).. I get the same speed docked when using the lan adapter. No idea why it is capped. When I test my phone I'm always getting 115 / 12...

Shahadan

Is it possible the Switch wifi icon is inaccurate because my Switch never shows 3 bars but I had no issues during the Splatoon testfire or using the eshop/downloading games.

I don't know but in my experience this icon definitely doesn't have the same meaning as on my other devices, lol.
Also seems to be made for 5ghz, I litterally never had 3 bars despite being in the same room as my router before I switched to 5ghz, and had 3 ever since.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
My friend and I got to Omiya Bic Camera in Japan to get in on the raffle to buy a nintendo switch. He won and I didn't. Guess this is fate telling me I should not buy a switch

sirap

My friend and I got to Omiya Bic Camera in Japan to get in on the raffle to buy a nintendo switch. He won and I didn't. Guess this is fate telling me I should not buy a switch

Wow, are you guys still having stock problems? A local store here just got like a dozen grey units from Japan lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Already finished it on Steam...but man I would totally rebuy Life is Strange on Switch.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So twice now I've received a "software closed error occurred" on my Switch. The first time occured while playing Lego City Undercover in co-op, but I've also experienced two white screens/freezing while booting LCU so I figured it was most likely software-related.

Well today I was playing Breath of the Wild for around 10 minutes when "software closed error occured " abruptly ended my gaming session. I rebooted Breath of the Wild and played for another 10 minutes before I had to quit, but I had no further problems.

So now it has happened with two different pieces of software (both physical carts). Now this is over 120+ hours playing the system, but both instances have occured over the last 20 hours. The only thing I have changed is entering and formatting a new micro SD card for the system, but nothing is currently on the card (to my knowledge).

Have any of you experienced​ this error yet?

Persona7

Banned
So twice now I've received a "software closed error occurred" on my Switch. The first time occured while playing Lego City Undercover in co-op, but I've also experienced two white screens/freezing while booting LCU so I figured it was most likely software-related.

Well today I was playing Breath of the Wild for around 10 minutes when "software closed error occured " abruptly ended my gaming session. I rebooted Breath of the Wild and played for another 10 minutes before I had to quit, but I had no further problems.

So now it has happened with two different pieces of software (both physical carts). Now this is over 120+ hours playing the system, but both instances have occured over the last 20 hours. The only thing I have changed is entering and formatting a new micro SD card for the system, but nothing is currently on the card (to my knowledge).

Have any of you experienced​ this error yet?

This happens constantly on The Binding Of Isaac. Had it happen ONCE on zelda as well when I blew up a bunch of exploding barrels near a bokoblin camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom