• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

SubbieD

So do I need an internet connection or do I need an internet connection and a membership to XBL or PS+ if I were to buy it for a console? I'm currently unable/unwilling to play Dark Souls III and Bloodborne online because of the latter scenario.

Hate the concept of PS+ too and beat Bloodborne fully offline. There are NPC hunters to help you, don't need real people. Go for it man!

For some reason I thought this was multiplayer only so the news doesn't surprise me. Anyway wasn't interested before and certainly isn't interested now.

vakarian32

First they cut split screen co-op and For Honor went from a day 1 purchase to a wait and see.

Now the campaign is always online?

Get fucked, Ubisoft.

I somehow missed that announcement of them dropping split screen co-op, fuck :'(
My money will go to Horizon and/or Nioh in Feb instead.

This shit is so stupid. It's a god damn singer player campaign, for what reason could you possibly need to be connected at all times?

Ubisoft just keeps on digging... a hole to bury this game.

My god they're trying to kill it harder than EA tried to kill Titanfall 2. The developers poured ten years into trying to get this game made and now their goodwill is slipping away.

RPGam3r

You can't pause The Division. And that game sold boatloads and there was really no reason you couldn't have an offline option in that game.

I'm saying this is not a requirement of always online games. You want to talk about stupid design look no further than Souls and the no pause while offline.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm saying this is not a requirement of always online games. You want to talk about stupid design look no further than Souls and the no pause while offline.

Souls is designed to be always online, but doesnt force you. Its done right.

ZarKryn7

Was thinking about getting this down the line. But With the internet hiccups I get, I can't see myself getting this.

I anticipate the pre order cancellation screenshots here in this thread.

Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?

Internet is still fucking trash in a lot of the US with bandwidth caps and unreliable connections, like my connection for example.

There really isn't much of an excuse here. Other games with online play allow you to level up in offline play. killing floor 2, and Evolve as examples, and those don't have campaigns.

Aikidoka

tbf, Ubisoft is fighting a hostile takeover, and now more than ever it is important to reassure shareholders that they are, indeed, still Ubisoft.

Hexer06

This does blow. Especially if it hurts the sales. However, I was getting this game for Multiplayer anyways so I kinda knew I was gonna need Internet to play. Just hope they get some better servers this time around.. Ha, who am I kidding. lol

ZarKryn7

If we bitch enough will they reverse it? Nah that ain't happening.

Money talks. Cancel your pre-orders folks.

Maybe send your pre-order cancellations screen shots to Jason VandenBerghe (@the_darklorde): https://twitter.com/the_darklorde?s=09

Use this gif.
you don't have to use this gif and send Jason screenshots lol

ed-edd-n-eddy-ed-edd-and-eddy-30945377-400-305.gif

Spacejaws

I can see the usual arguments here about online nessecity being no big problem in this day and age however for me offering even some marginal offline experience moves a game from being instantly in the 'fuck that shit' list to either a possible or even a must buy.

I travel alot and whenever I pirchase an online only game I have to ask myself if its worth only playing a game 4 months of the year. It has to be pretty fucking good. Offering offline with bots or basic campaign and suddenly I can leap in an try that game anytime without having to worry. That is a huge deal for me and possibly alot more people out there than publishers think. For me the added fear that a 'online expereince' can be shut down indefinetly once the company decides it can no longer support it and fully justified legally to no longer provide that game. That's not something I'm willing to support for the sake of greed and nothing else. For Honor looks like a hell of alot of fun but I can do without.

Deadbeat

Banned
Before consumer rights were a thing, that's what companies thought, that's why there were no consumer rights.

There have to be smart people to fight for the people not willing to
The fight is over. We went from Horse Armor DLC to where we are now in one generation. Where do you think we will be in another?

Early 2016 Ubisoft press release:
"We totally pinky swear that the campaign will be offline because that's what you want to hear, even though it won't and we may lose a few dozen sales now"

I do not accept the fact that people will want to go back years from now and want to play this game, I mean how many people are clamoring to play The Outfit after 10 years? This is the world of games that we live in now.

But but you promised?!?!?!?

This game? You don't know that. Games in general? People ARE going back and playing older games. Retro gaming is a serious thing and it looks like you're making a dumb@$$ argument just because you can cherry pick one game out of the thousands that people are playing. Even though I don't know enough about the game to say weather or not the game NEEDS online only, the concerns are valid.

I think there are far worse things in gaming that deserve our ire. For the people who live in places with poor or unstable internet I'm truly sorry but for those who are just complaining because they don't like it...we get it.

farisr

I think there are far worse things in gaming that deserve our ire.
That's fine. Everyone has different opinions. This for me is one of the worst developments in recent years for gaming. Thankfully not that common yet though.
but for those who are just complaining because they don't like it...we get it.
Glad you get it, but just because you get it doesn't mean folks should stop talking about it.

demigod

The game looked good first time i saw it. Was going to preorder it with the visa checkout discount earlier today then I remembered this rumor popped up a couple days ago. Then i also remembered it was a ubisoft game. -1 sale right there.

The defense force still thinks the outcry is about your connection randomly dropping out. No, it's the fact that an always online games are a service...and the servers will inevitably shut down.

As a customer, that's an unacceptable prospect for me. I want to play the game when I want, even years from now. I've paid for that privilege. I want to own my games.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wonder what happened. They kept telling everyone that the campaign would be playable offline. Their website even saids so.

Not that For Honor wowed me or anything but I am getting real tired of single player focused campaigns needing to be online to play.

If it isn't a MMO-like game then there isn't a need for it, fuck the leaderboard stats.

Wensih

Hate the concept of PS+ too and beat Bloodborne fully offline. There are NPC hunters to help you, don't need real people. Go for it man!

Oh, I beat Bloodborne + Old Hunters last year, and I'm currently finishing up the optional areas in Dark Souls III before heading to the final boss. I have no problems with playing the game offline although the missing soul signs and some items that can only be farmed in PvP is annoying, but they're found sparingly throughout if you don't engage in MP.

Top Bottom