• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Clearlake enters w/ purchase agreement [OP Update 2]

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
WWE would get their license back and buy the studio that created WWE xx for THQ. Vince wanted to get into video games a while ago but didn't have the cash for it at the time. He does now!

He's going to flood the market with Randy Orton action adventure games :(

Marine 4: The Game

Obsidian's interview with Kotaku this week explained that Viacom was funding stick of truth but now is funded by THQ. Well, wording may say "overseen" or whatever.

Regardless a 1st half 2013 release probably means stick of truth is safe.

It is indeed safe:

DZXZa.jpg

Saints Row, Homefront, Company of Heroes, Metro 2033 and South Park are all safe.

Tex117

Banned
I would guess most of these licenses that THQs held are no longer valid, but again I do not have the contracts in front of me to confirm that. Depends on if they are executory or not.

*bro-fist*

Serioulsy.

Most case law has indicated that licences are executory contracts, but its still a contested issue.

I don't play many THQ games it seems, but it always leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth whenever I see companies in this industry going under. Sony Liverpool devs, Eurocom and now this. When the health of the industry is tied to the health of your future earnings, it gives a very different feeling then when I used to sit on the sidelines and watch. Hope everyone at THQ makes a fast recovery. There are more jobs out there, but it'll be sad to see them become no more.

Of all the memories to have of the company, for some reason this sticks in my mind. I never expected to see their logo on the front of a Sonic game!

WWE would get their license back and buy the studio that created WWE xx for THQ. Vince wanted to get into video games a while ago but didn't have the cash for it at the time. He does now!

God, I hope not. Vince has been terrible at everything non-wrestling he (or his wife) has ever tried. Shit, he's not even that good at making a wrestling product.

MYeager

Yuke's wasn't owned by THQ, though I'm certain they would want to work with whoever obtains the production rights.

PaulLFC

What does "safe" mean in this case though? Safe as in they continue development up until release at the original devs and for the games it's as if nothing happened, or safe as in the IP is sold off and it's up to the buyer whether they keep the original team, appoint another team or cancel the game? I guess it's probably too early to know yet, but I hope it's the first outcome.

Yuke's wasn't owned by THQ, though I'm certain they would want to work with whoever obtains the production rights.
I hope yukes isn't involved with the wwe games after this. Imo they have been horrible for a number of years and only getting worse, to be fair I haven't played 13 though. I do hope that whomever does get the wwe rights puts an effort to get the aki people back on board.

Mooreberg

Hopefully the development teams remain intact. They have published some good games, just nothing big enough to make up for the financial black hole that uDraw became. Their expectations for games like Homefront were out of whack as well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
BAHAHAHAH! I KNEW IT! I called that Clearlake would acquire the assets a couple of months ago!

For those of you who are wondering, Clearlake is a private equity/corporate restructuring firm that works with turning around troubled companies. THQ was "exploring options" with Clearlake for a potential sale of the company.

Now, here's why this isn't a surprise to me: a good buddy of one of Clearlake's managing partners is Jason Rubin.

Oh SHIT.

Haha, remember this?

Jason Rubin said:
“THQ has incredible internal and external game development teams, and an exciting slate of games in its development pipeline,” said Jason Rubin. “The recent transformation of THQ into a creator of wholly-owned IP has placed it in a perfect position to leverage future trends in the game business. I look forward to working with the management team and board to realize the company’s goals.”

"The company" in this case being Clearlake, and "goals" being "flipping THQ's core IPs for a profit", I assume.

Quentyn

Wow, the WWE is the second largest creditor. THQ owns them over 45 million

1. Wilmington Trust, N.A. (as Indenture Trustee for 5% Notes Due 2014): $101.9 million
2. World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. (WWE): $45.1 million (trade debt)
3. Yuke’s Co. Ltd.: $17.8 million (trade debt)
4. Mattel Inc.: $12.8 million (trade debt, listed as contingent)
5. Viacom International, Inc.: $10 million (trade debt, listed as contingent)
6. JAKKS Pacific Inc.: $4 million (settlement)
7. Microsoft Licensing, Inc.: $2.9 million (trade debt)
8. Starcom Mediavest Group Inc.: $2.6 million (trade debt)
9. ZUFFA, LLC: $1.9 million (trade debt)
10. Technicolor Payments: $1.7 million (trade debt)
11. Pipeworks Software: $1.1 million (trade debt, listed as contingent and disputed)
12. Sony Pictures Television: $794,000 (trade debt, listed as contingent and disputed)
13. Lucasfilm Ltd.: $267,000 (trade debt)
14. Acquia, Inc.: $251,000 (trade debt)
15. Binari Sonori S.R.L.: $245,000 (trade debt)

http://chapter11cases.com/largest-unsecured-creditors-of-thq-inc/

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sad to see THQ finally at roads end. They have a few potentially heavy hitting games in the pipeline, I really hope they somehow can survive for them to be released.

EDIT: Homefront 2 at 4 million sales? Jeezus. How much did the first one sell?

They are fucking insane if they think a sequel will sell twice as much as the first game (2.4 million copies of Homefront shipped). Also, if you're going to do a game about America occupied, it should be a game about a modern day Civil War - that would actually be interesting and slightly more plausible than a North Korean invasion (but only slightly).

I get the feeling that Mike Kulas had seen this coming which is why he left after SR3 was all but in the can.

THQ will join the ranks of Acclaim, Midway, Atari, etc. etc.

Green Yoshi

Nintendo should buy THQ, so the WiiU would be more attractive to core gamers. But that would be very untypical for Nintendo, they don't do such things.

Dueck

Banned
Metro-Last-Light-sunlight-610x239.jpg

Metro: Last Light, how very fitting... I really hope that its release is not impacted at all. I believe THQ is merely publishing it though, so it shouldn't matter... It better not matter.

Has anyone made an OT for it yet? I'm pretty excited.

markot

Banned
Except THQ has definate value and potential. I think they are more interested in that then just turning it over for a quick buck.

I mean, Activision was worth what before Cod?

I dont want Nintendo to buy it cause I like Relic and their PC stuff >.>

Dueck

Banned
Except THQ has definate value and potential. I think they are more interested in that then just turning it over for a quick buck.

I mean, Activision was worth what before Cod?

I dont want Nintendo to buy it cause I like Relic and their PC stuff >.>

Of all the major publisher bankruptcies, this one is the most surprising. Though THQ has been on the ropes for a while, Saints Row, Metro, Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, and Homefront are all franchises that have more worth than the current financial situation would have you believe. I sincerely hope they do end up in the hands of somebody who cares about them, and won't just acquire all the licenses and tarnish them with poor management.

Did anyone post a link to this yet:

Jason Rubins said:
But what does “Chapter 11” mean? What will happen to the games you are expecting? The series you love? And what about the people and teams that make them?

The most important thing to understand is that Chapter 11 does not mean the end of the THQ story or the end of the titles you love. Quite the opposite is true, actually.

Chapter 11 is a safety net for U.S. companies. American Airlines is currently in Chapter 11 restructuring, yet I flew back and forth on that airline when I visited Volition two weeks ago. Donald Trump and his companies have been in Chapter 11 four times. You can add to that list household names such as Macy’s, Eddie Bauer, the Chicago Cubs, Chrysler, Delta Airlines, General Motors, the Pittsburgh Penguins, Marvel Studios, and MGM, among many others.

MGM filed Chapter 11 two years ago, and this year it released “Skyfall” and “The Hobbit,” two of the biggest titles of the year. That’s what I mean when I say new start!

Our Chapter 11 process allows for other bidders to make competing offers for THQ. So while we are extremely excited about the Clearlake opportunity, we won’t be able to say that the deal is done for a month or so.

Rest assured that the goal throughout the sale process has been to preserve our teams and our products. So no matter what the outcome in 30 days, as long as we have accomplished this goal, I will be satisfied.

Whatever happens, the teams and products look likely to end up together and in good hands. That means you can still pre-order Metro: Last Light, Company of Heroes 2, and South Park: The Stick of Truth. Our teams are still working on those titles as you read this, and all other rumored titles, like the fourth Saints Row, the Homefront sequel, and a lot more are also still in the works.

Top Bottom