• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal (Gaikai or OnLive) at E3

ironcreed

Banned
I would be down with it. I tired Onlive and thought it worked pretty well. The problem was that most of the games are ones that I can get on my PS3/360. There was just no need for me to get into it. Anyway, I'll wait and see for now.

The games shops are going be pissed off and maybe try and move mum and dad away from what ever this end up on if true, if they will hold any to start with

ironcreed

Banned
How would onlive games be any improvement over just the games you could download and play on the PS3?

Kind of what I am wondering. I still think it's neat, and depending on the games, I might give it a go. However, if it is just the same catalog of games that I can go out and buy or download, then there is really no point. Only difference would be worse image quality and performance.

yurinka

How would onlive games be any improvement over just the games you could download and play on the PS3?
I think it has a lot of potential for PS3/Vita/PS4/PS Certified tablets & phones (maybe PC too):

- Bigger library that was PC only and is appealing for a lot of different audiences : casual browser games, social games, indie games, F2P with micro transactions, high-end hardcore games that weren't available in consoles (MMO, strategy, simulators...)
-PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/PSV games in all these platforms.
-'Little' investment from Sony's side.
-Pay once, play in all these devices.
-Rented games.
-Full retail game time limited demos like in PS+ but without needing a lot of HDD space.
-Cloud saves/trophies/party chat etc.
-I'd add a great value to justify PS+ fee

I'd compatible with current games because right now you need to be close to a data center and to have a really good internet connection to enjoy it properly specially with some genres (it wouldn't be a great deal in strategy or turn based games).

slider

Smh. People seriously need to give up on the idea of having access to PC games. You will be able to access games on the service that are also on PS3.

It'd be nice to have something like that in the future but I don't expect it either. Maybe the greatest use will be for demos of games.

Bet you this Nvidia Geforce Grid supposedly accelerating Gaikai is part of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkAJNUMGZgU

(take a look when the Nvidia CEO refers to the green cable plugged to the tv as "the game console", laughing.)

The goal of GRID is to bring the promise of "console quality" gaming to every device a user has. The term "console quality" is kind of important here as NVIDIA is trying desperately to not upset all the PC gamers that purchase high-margin GeForce products. The goal of GRID is pretty simple though and should be seen as an evolution of the online streaming gaming that we have covered in the past–like OnLive. Being able to play high quality games on your TV, your computer, your tablet or even your phone without the need for high-performance and power hungry graphics processors through streaming services is what many believe the future of gaming is all about

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/GTC-2012-NVIDIA-Announces-GeForce-GRID-Cloud-Gaming-Platform

"NVIDIA today announced a new technology partnership with Gaikai, an on-demand gaming company that competes with OnLive, to bring GeForce GRID to the cloud gaming ecosystem. GRID aims to increase both the visual quality and user experience of cloud gaming by decreasing latencies involved in the process — the biggest hindrance to acceptance for consumers.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/05/16/011232/nvidia-geforce-grid-cloud-gaming-acceleration

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Maybe I'm late on this, but what's the point of this? OnLive was a cool concept because I could theoretically play games that my computer could not play. Why would I want to stream a PS3 game that I can already have or buy? I'm probably missing something.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Maybe I'm late on this, but what's the point of this? OnLive was a cool concept because I could theoretically play games that my computer could not play. Why would I want to stream a PS3 game that I can already have or buy? I'm probably missing something.

Because it can be used for more than just PS3 games that you would buy, you could play a demo for a game without having to download the gigabytes of files first or I guess rent a game.
Then theres the chances that it can be used for PS1/PS2/PSP games for the PS3/Vita so they wouldn't need to emulate the games on the console itself solving a lot of the problems that come with Backwards Compatibility, especially when moving to new platforms.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Because it can be used for more than just PS3 games that you would buy, you could play a demo for a game without having to download the gigabytes of files first or I guess rent a game.
Then theres the chances that it can be used for PS1/PS2/PSP games for the PS3/Vita so they wouldn't need to emulate the games on the console itself solving a lot of the problems that come with Backwards Compatibility, especially when moving to new platforms.

I see. That would indeed be cool.

Raoh

• No need to download/install.
  • Bypass development on ps3 architecture yet still deliver games to the console. Gone would be the days of devs complaining about not being able to develop on ps3. +
  • Demos/Trials accessible much quicker. Think of ps3's current 1 hour trials but streamed.
  • Online Rental Service.
  • Online share-able game saves for moving from platform to platform (vita/ps3/pc/ps4)
  • Allows sony to focus more on its own titles and lets devs/publishers distribute through this service. Outside of Criterion, Epic, Rocksteady and a handful of other devs no one does ps3 development better than sony first party.
  • If tied to Playstation Plus, increasing the services value. That's what MS says about adding services to xblg, it increases the value of paying for gold.
  • On a business angle, dynamic in game advertising.
  • The technology behind it could also be used to merge/push sony's music/video unlimited service.
  • Excellent method to play/distribute free to play browser games. Playing AirMech through this service would be easier than developing for the ps3 would it not?
  • Extend the life of the PS3. It's open network allows services like this to exist unlike ms's business model. Sony did speak of future proofing the ps3 and this is one way to do that.
  • Lots and lots of possibilities. Mostly just guesses on my part.

Wasn't it rumored some time ago that you would be able to stream the demos/minis/etc. of PSN games from a cloud soonish sometime ago? Or was I dreaming. Makes sense.

TheUsual

Gold Member
An idea completely out of left field: what if it's a streaming service for playing PS2 games on the PS3? Crazy idea (and 99.99% sure I'm wrong), but an idea none the less!

androvsky

An idea completely out of left field: what if it's a streaming service for playing PS2 games on the PS3? Crazy idea (and 99.99% sure I'm wrong), but an idea none the less!

It's not that crazy, since it's been suggested many times. Some of us are hoping for a Netflix-style deal where you can stream whatever PS1/PS2 games that are available for a subscription fee.

It's not that crazy, since it's been suggested many times. Some of us are hoping for a Netflix-style deal where you can stream whatever PS1/PS2 games that are available for a subscription fee.

Who's to say the selection of ps1/ps2 games would be any different than what's currently on PSN?

OTOH, at least it would allow the Vita to play ps1 games, lol.

Boss Man

Who's to say the selection of ps1/ps2 games would be any different than what's currently on PSN?

Are there any PS2 games on PSN? I thought current PS3 (or Vita) couldn't play PS2 games directly- this is a potential solution to that. PS2 library get.

androvsky

I phrased it like I did because I'm assuming that it'll be only those games available on PSN. However, they might add a bunch of PS2 games that don't emulate well, assuming that's an actual holdup. Also, it's safe to assume they'd be holding back some titles so there would be a bunch of new ones when the service launches.

Boss Man

Yeah, like around ten or so.
The HD remakes you mean?

e; No, apparently there are straight PS2 games on PSN. Unless the holdup is with emulation (hopefully) and not licensing or something, then you have a very valid point.

Still in wait-and-see mode as to what they're actually going to use this technology for. There are definitely a lot of possibilities though.

Speevy

Banned
So I don't understand.

Do you Stream PS3 games or PC games?

Okay, let me explain. Let's say The Witcher 2 was playable. Wouldn't that violate the exclusivity agreements?

DR3AM

i just tried 2 demos, HORRIBLE lag. It should be illegal to stream games to people like me with a 7mb connection.

androvsky

The HD remakes you mean?
No, actual PS2 games. They have their own section under games, check it out.

So I don't understand.

Do you Stream PS3 games or PC games?
Don't know yet. Might be PS2 games for PS3/Vita, might be PS3 games for Vitas (or PS4, if it's not BC). Might be PC games. Might be some combination of the above.

edit:
Okay, let me explain. Let's say The Witcher 2 was playable. Wouldn't that violate the exclusivity agreements?
It probably would violate exclusivity agreements. Depends on how things are worded, and if Sony/Gaikai want to play around with semantics, like trying to say the games are being played on a PC with windows, it just happens the monitor and controller are 100 miles away.

Speevy

Banned
i just tried 2 demos, HORRIBLE lag. It should be illegal to stream games to people like me with a 7mb connection.

They actually do have a cutoff, but I don't really understand all these complaints.

My connection is 8-9 Mb and I've never had an issue. I've played games like Batman Arkham City and Darksiders just fine.

One thing these games should always be is cheap. There's no reason why you should ever pay the same price for a version of a game which is blurrier, and that requires a locked down set of options while other people watch you.

Boss Man

I don't think anyone is expecting that, but if it is some kind of loophole that would be incredible and make this one hell of an E3.

Frankly, we have no idea what exactly is going to come of this. I think most people expect Sony to use this technology to accomplish some sort of "synergy" or something across devices, or something. We really don't know.

Who else thinks the cloud deal will be more focused on the Vita rather than PS3?

It would pretty much completely solve the no gaemz problem the vita is facing and would be a strong attempt at saving the platform from doom.

It could actually end up being a pretty impressive service on that platform. Imagine playing Arkham City or TW2 on Vita. Any issues that might exist with subpar visuals and such on ps3 wouldn't be as big of a problem on vita either.

androvsky

Who else thinks the cloud deal will be more focused on the Vita rather than PS3?

It would pretty much completely solve the no gaemz problem the vita is facing and would be a strong attempt at saving the platform from doom.

It could actually end up being a pretty impressive service on that platform. Imagine playing Arkham City or TW2 on Vita. Any issues that might exist with subpar visuals and such on ps3 wouldn't be as big of a problem on vita either.

It would help, but I'm not convinced the best way to save a portable handheld system is to tie it to wifi range even more than it already is. On the other hand, there's probably plenty of people that watch streaming video on tablets, so it maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Saty

What exclusivity agreements? CDP chose to do a 360 version of the game. There was no biding contract with MS or something like that.

Although if you stream the game on pc to a ps3, then the publisher of the pc version might have something to say because the publisher agreed to distribute the game on pc and now suddenly the game is being offered on another platform via that pc version. Though in the Witcher 2 example i think CDPR have all the rights for the digital version so they may stream the game not from it's retail disc.

Top Bottom