• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

Sendou

With the obvious negative implications of Nintendo posting an operating loss for the third fiscal year running (although I can't still bring myself to be quite as negative as the general atmosphere seems to be) there's a few aspects there to be positive about. First is Luigi's Mansion 2 moving almost 4 million copies. Couldn't be happier for Next Level Games. Hopefully Nintendo truly gives them the recognition they deserve for the job and give bigger and bigger IP's for them to work with. They really did a stellar job with the game and I'm glad it payed out for them. A Link Between Worlds which was my GOTY of 2013 doing rather alright is good too. Tomodachi Life was the big out of nowhere success story obviously. I hope Nintendo looks at that game and realizes that sometimes just having a small team try something that isn't shackled to their previous stuff (even if it was a sequel) might pay off big time. It's just that for that to happen they have to take those risks. Hopefully they are more willing in future.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I get that they wouldn't necessarily produce inventory to the full extent of the forecast, as at September last year when they retained the forecast. (And I definitely agree that its better they didn't produce said inventory.)

It just seems like given the forecast and the maximum inventory they could currently have based on the tweet by Gibson, they realistically wouldn't have been able to produce sufficient units to meet the forecast had demand actually have been there. Although it's late and my brain may not be computing properly. Is it typically that easy to ramp up and down production?

Depending on their manufacturing partners and their engagements and agreements, one can downsize or halt productions lines - however, a fine is usually booked; however, like I mentioned, it all depends on their agreements and engagements towards those manufacturing partners so sadly, I can't really give you much detail on that regard.

Somnid

I get that they wouldn't necessarily produce inventory to the full extent of the forecast, as at September last year when they retained the forecast. (And I definitely agree that its better they didn't produce said inventory.)

It just seems like given the forecast and the maximum inventory they could currently have based on the tweet by Gibson, they realistically wouldn't have been able to produce sufficient units to meet the forecast had demand actually have been there. Although it's late and my brain may not be computing properly. Is it typically that easy to ramp up and down production?

I sure it's pretty quick to shut down the line, just very costly because they pay a lot for it.

Well, it sounds like Nintendo aren't doing so well right now. :<

I've been playing my Wii U a lot lately and really enjoying it. I didn't use the Miiverse a lot much with the Wii, but it's become a really fun place with the Wii U. And the Nintendo eShop has gotten a lot better. With Nintendo Network ID accounts, it's getting a lot closer to being as good as the PlayStation Network.

I've really been enjoying playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World. As well as NES Remix 2 and a lot of other games. And I'm really excited for Mario Kart 8. I'm not a very competitive person, but I hope I can do well online and have some really good times. Not only does the game seem like the best Mario Kart game yet, but the online community sounds like it will be really fun. I want to be a really good Toadette racer.

So I really hope things will be okay. I'm really enjoying my Wii U and I want it to have as much support and success as possible.

IIs it typically that easy to ramp up and down production?

Depends on the number of production lines being utilized and the hourly output of those lines.

Nintendo makes a bunch o' hardware, so adding/removing production lines for a particular product is something that is relatively easy to do if the tooling already exists.

Guessing that the forecast shared was an "optimistic" scenario listed in a financial analysis somewhere.

Amir0x

Banned
So I really hope things will be okay. I'm really enjoying my Wii U and I want it to have as much support and success as possible.

Honestly, you're better off hoping for their next system to be a success. There's virtually no way to change Wii U's fortunes around. They had 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, all the casual affair games, and they did nothing. They're going to have Smash Bros. and Mario Kart soon, and realistically, they're not going to do much to change Wii U's trajectory either for more than a few weeks at best. The level of bombing Wii U is doing is pretty much no-return territory. Best you can hope for is Nintendo releases a few more quaint mascot games, which they seem hellbent on doing every other day, so at least that way no way to be disappointed.

For me, I just expect their mascot games + Bayonetta 2/X. That's my Wii U's future in a nutshell :p

Well, maybe they can make 10 million units sold.

As long as they keep supporting the system with great games, I'll be happy.
No amount of poor sales will change the fact that Super Mario 3D World was a fun game. Or that Mario Kart 8 is exciting. And I bet it's going to be a really great game, too.

Everything I've seen about Mario Kart 8 says to me that they've really outdid themselves this time.

And I'm sure that it won't be the last great game for the Wii U. In fact, I bet there will be a whole lot of great games coming soon. There's already a lot that have already been announced. Surely they won't be cancelled? And I bet there's a lot more great games that haven't even been announced.

No amount of poor sales will change the fact that Super Mario 3D World was a fun game. Or that Mario Kart 8 is exciting. And I bet it's going to be a really great game, too.

Everything I've seen about Mario Kart 8 says to me that they've really outdid themselves this time.

And I'm sure that it won't be the last great game for the Wii U. In fact, I bet there will be a whole lot of great games coming soon. There's already a lot that have already been announced. Surely they won't be cancelled? And I bet there's a lot more great games that haven't even been announced.

Hey, if Nintendo discontinues the Wii U, what would the Japanese public think?

:p

mo60

They WiiU will sell more than the dreamcast at the end of this gen. I have no clue how much it will sell above the dreamcast anyway.

mo60

So what are the chances of Iwata retaining a CEO/board position for the upcoming year? It's hard to picture a CEO that drives the company into a downward spiral over the last five years still retain their position. Lots of CEOs have stepped down for way less.

Iwata will retain his ceo position for the next couple of years most likely if the board at nintendo caused most of the problems with the console.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's the x-axis.

iOXNMK9gyJOUI.gif

Top Bottom