• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thx Mpl90

You're welcome.

Ah, btw, no communication about hardware being shown at E3 = no new console being announced at E3 (i.e. brand new consoles; revisions can happen). It also means that the QOL platform first details shouldn't be at E3.

catmario

Nintendo's cash disappeared because of a one time expense of $1bn to buyback Yamauchi's shares. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be discussing the warchest depletion.

Oh... I forgot about yamauchi share buyback. That's a good reason for cash spending.

So are they betting on the NFC? I saw a mention of it in the press release. Seems like that at least would use the gamepad for... for something

Wild cards not known about are
Pokken Fighters
NFC
Miyamoto's new IP

Of those that have been half announced
All 3 of those could entirely be the same thing, though I doubt it

Radec

Wii U at 6.17m shipped, forecast of 3.6m for the coming year. Q4 shipment of 0.31m. 2013/14 shipment, 2.72m vs 2.8m forecast

KuGsj.gif

And they can't even do a price cut. Just throwing accessories as bundles on their most popular game this year.

I'm sorry, I just skimmed the topic so far: how much reserve cash has Nintendo burned through thus far, and how much do they have left? Is that reported?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Holy fuck...
9vj6VEN.png

Does this mean that Super Mario 3D world is the only retail game on Wii U to hit over a million units that wasn't ever a pack-in or bundled?
It is...but even though NSMBU was bundled with the system at one point, I'm positive it sold over 1 million stand-alone copies as well. Hell, I'm pretty sure it sold over 2 million.

The other games, though...

Oh joy. Yet another year of worse-than-expected Operating Losses, and yet another year of Iwata promising to make the subsequent year profitable.

And yet again, I will refuse to vote to re-elect Iwata.

Ironjam

WiiU numbers are realistic. Kart and smash for a lesser extent will push it but the console wont do more than 4mil this year and 12-15 lifetime.
3ds has no chance to reach 12 million. It will sell 9-10 million at best

Nintendo will seek to supply high quality games on a continuous basis.

When is this actually going to start? I think it was in January when Iwata said that starting with MK8 we'd see a steady flow of software. Yet here we're close to its release and it's the only Nintendo developed game on the Wii U that even has an actual date for the rest of the year. Where's Bayonetta 2, X, Yarn Yoshi, SMT x Fire Emblem etc?

It's not surprising that they can't gain any real traction with the Wii U when people don't know what's coming up next. The only game right now with any sort of timeframe other than 2014 is Smash Bros, and some speculate that it won't hit until next year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh joy. Yet another year of worse-than-expected Operating Losses, and yet another year of Iwata promising to make the next year profitable.

You're a meeeeeeeeean and eeeeeevil lady :(

/joking

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
oh i just saw the part where they're forecasting a $400,000,000 operating income, and $200,000,000 net income

Nintendo really needs a quiet year (lower investments). That's why I think there will be no new hardware until 2016 (besides QoL).

JoeM86

I'm sorry, I just skimmed the topic so far: how much reserve cash has Nintendo burned through thus far, and how much do they have left? Is that reported?

They didn't "burn through" any of it. They had to use it to buyback shares the Yamauchi family were selling.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Oh joy. Yet another year of worse-than-expected Operating Losses, and yet another year of Iwata promising to make the next year profitable.

You and me both.

However for once, I actually believe the premise of their guidance.

When is this actually going to start? I think it was in January when Iwata said that starting with MK8 we'd see a steady flow of software. Yet here we're close to its release and it's the only Nintendo developed game on the Wii U that even has an actual date for the rest of the year. Where's Bayonetta 2, X, Yarn Yoshi, SMT x Fire Emblem etc?

It's not surprising that they can't gain any real traction with the Wii U when people don't know what's coming up next. And especially what's coming up next seems to be months away from the last major release.

Nintendo REALLY stumbled with their HD development. It's actually really hard to watch, they have a shit-ton of talent locked up in those development halls, but as a company they were totally unprepared.

Nintendo's worse than expected Operating Losses were due to inventory write-downs (I'm thinking unsellable Wii Us), very weak net sales, and burgeoning R&D expenses.

They didn't "burn through" any of it. They had to use it to buyback shares the Yamauchi family were selling.

The other ~$6 billion went somewhere, from the "$10.5billion warchest" from june 2012 that was still being quoted by people up to recently, whether you like it or not.

Griss

I understand people saying not to panic about the reduction in cash assets due to the buyback, which is a one-off thing, but the R&D expense isn't a one-off. It's a direct result of
a) The increasing cost in terms of time, money and manpower to make Nintendo games. Necessitating more people, more buidlings, more everything. And
b) The failure of the Wii U demanding that they put a huge push behind whatever's next, whether that's QoL, a new console, the 3DS successor or whatever. They need something new to spark sales, and they need it now. Thus the huge expense to get it up and running.

That massive R&D expense isn't some act of god. It's there at that large amount for specific reasons, and the reasons aren't particularly good for Nintendo, even if the outcome of expansion and development end up beneficial.

Sandfox

Nintendo REALLY stumbled with their HD development. It's actually really hard to watch, they have a shit-ton of talent locked up in those development halls, but as a company they were totally unprepared.

The games that he mentioned just seem to be really early in development and announced too early. Early on they had an issue though.

I understand people saying not to panic about the reduction in cash assets due to the buyback, which is a one-off thing, but the R&D expense isn't a one-off. It's a direct result of
a) The increasing cost in terms of time, money and manpower to make Nintendo games. Necessitating more people, more buidlings, more everything. And
b) The failure of the Wii U demanding that they put a huge push behind whatever's next, whether that's QoL, a new console, the 3DS successor or whatever. They need something new to spark sales, and they need it now. Thus the huge expense to get it up and running.

That massive R&D expense isn't some act of god. It's there at that large amount for specific reasons, and the reasons aren't particularly good for Nintendo, even if the outcome of expansion and development end up beneficial.

While it depends on what exactly they are spending the money on, I really don't see the problem with R&D since its something they would have to do either way if we want a better product from them going forward.

Welp looks like the 3DS will struggle to reach 60 million by the time a sucessor is out. On the bright side, Nintendo finally hit a prediction this generation. It only took them 3 years and massive forecast slashes to do it.

HUELEN10

Going by predictions... Nope, no price cuts.

Aye. I believe that JoeM86, and please Joe correct me if I am wrong or misquoting you in any way, explained it best that due to the costs of manufacture, if they lower the price and it sells a lot, it could be devastating for the company. The smart thing for them to do is grow at a decent pace, not an excellent pace, at the current price and grow the attach rate. I don't remember the post, but he explains it well.

When takes the Q&A place?
That's more interesting.

The meeting is in another 17 hours, iirc.

---

As for replacing Iwata, I think it's likely that a new CEO will still be a 40 year old + Japanese man from within Nintendo or one of its subsidiaries, so I don't imagine that changing the position will lead to anything more than a symbolic change.

NateDrake

It's not surprising that they can't gain any real traction with the Wii U when people don't know what's coming up next. The only game right now with any sort of timeframe other than 2014 is Smash Bros, and some speculate that it won't hit until next year.

To be fair, it is obvious Nintendo cannot provide a major retail release every month of the year for Wii U on their own. Whether Iwata means continuous flow with retail and digital releases is also unknown. If Wii U had third-party support, the release gaps wouldn't be such a big deal.

Hell, with inFamous and MLB out now, Sony's next PS4 game is, what, The Last of Us and then DriveClub? MS' next release is....maybe Sunset Overdrive? They happen to have third-party releases to fill their monthly schedules.

Aretak

Man, those Wii U numbers are pretty brutal. Seems not even Nintendo believe that they have some ace in the hole that will turn things around any more.

Sure, but you better lose money because of expension or share buyback than lose money solely because of hardware sales.
As far as I'm concerned, I think that it's time for Nintendo to work right now on the next batch of hardware, and to get an ecosystem ready. Otherwise, they're just done.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir//pdf/2014/140507.pdf

It's in Japanese.

Key information:

Operating loss 46.4bn Yen, Net loss 23.2bn Yen.

Wii U at 6.17m shipped, forecast of 3.6m for the coming year. Q4 shipment of 0.31m. 2013/14 shipment, 2.72m vs 2.8m forecast

- Software at 32.28m, forecast of 20m for the coming year. 2013/14 software shipment, 18.86m vs 19m forecast

3DS at 43.33m shipped, forecast of 12m for the coming year. Q4 shipment of 0.59m. 2013/14 shipment, 12.24m vs 13.5m forecast

- Software at 162.92m, forecast of 67m for the coming year. 2013/14 software shipment, 67.89m vs 66m forecast

Cash and equivalents down from $4.7bn to $3.4bn, a drop of $1.3bn over the year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir//pdf/2014/140507e.pdf - English link.

Holy shit, finally Nintendo realises how much of a failure the WiiU is. 3.6 million for an entire year, especially when this is going to be the peak year for the WiiU is damning. However, I think its a realistic expectation. Maybe. Its up YOY in US but down YOY in JP. It basically depends on how much MK and Smash can move.

3DS.....12 million next year when its declined 50% in Japan, and severely in the West as well. What are you smoking Nintendo. I think its safe to say the 3DS won't reach PSP hardware sales at this point. The software sales are pretty amazing though.

Also what? Their war chest is now at $3.4 billion? That can't be right?

zhao3gold

Banned
Wii U Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      3.06     0.39      3.45     3.45

FY 2013/14     0.16     0.30     1.95      0.31        2.72     6.17

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      11.69    1.73      13.42    13.42   

FY 2013/14     1.03     5.27      9.66      2.9       18.86    32.28

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49      7.76        0.59     11.65    [B]42.74[/B]

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11      -        -         -      9.43      9.43     9.43

FY 2011/12     4.53     3.60     19.91    7.96      36.00    45.42    

FY 2012/13     7.39     11.64    20.53    10.05     49.61    95.03

FY 2013/14     11.01    16.37    29.87      10.64       67.89    162.92

Isn't 3DS cumulative shipment 43.33millions units by the end of March? This must be wrong.

Nintendo is being extremely conservative indeed with their hardware and software sales at the exception of 3DS HW for FY15.

Nintendo should be able to achieve the above results. Furthermore, I'm also anticipating Q1 Wii U hardware shipments to be between 700-800k as well; a good beginning for the year on the back of Mario Kart 8.

Analysts on average expect the following: Nintendo will book an operating profit of Y29.58 billion for the current fiscal year ending March 2015.
There's likely about 300K in the North American retail channel already. And Europe/Other simply does give a crap about the system in general. April-June is typically a very slow quarter so I don't know really see Mario Kart increasing sales by enough to double the Wii U quarterly shipment rate. I don't think 3.6 is really conservative so much as realistic. I wouldn't be surprised really if it didn't hit that target at this point.

3DS certainly isn't hitting it's FY target.

They're still holding a large amount of unimpaired inventory, which when written down will impact their income statement. I'm wondering if they're recognizing those losses as "sales discounts" rather than an impairment charge, which really seems like a gross overstatement of assets.

Holy shit, finally Nintendo realises how much of a failure the WiiU is. 3.6 million for an entire year, especially when this is going to be the peak year for the WiiU is damning. However, I think its a realistic expectation. Maybe. Its up YOY in US but down YOY in JP. It basically depends on how much MK and Smash can move.

3DS.....12 million next year when its declined 50% in Japan, and severely in the West as well. What are you smoking Nintendo. I think its safe to say the 3DS won't reach PSP hardware sales at this point. The software sales are pretty amazing though.

While I agree with the Wii U part... lol, 3DS has a lot of opportunities to reach PSP hardware sales and go even beyond.

Are they? They seem thoroughly not great or bad.

While I agree with the Wii U part... lol, 3DS has a lot of opportunities to reach PSP hardware sales and go even beyond.

No it does not. Where exactly is this boost going to come from unless you think the 3DS successor won;t be out for another 5 years.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo's worse than expected Operating Losses were due to inventory write-downs (I'm thinking unsellable Wii Us), very weak net sales, and burgeoning R&D expenses.

In addition to the following :
On the other hand, mainly due to the balance of deferred tax assets reduced in relation to the losses carried over in the United States, there is a net loss of 23.2 billion yen

Of that, 173 million US were from deferred tax assets.

Griss

Sure, but you better lose money because of expension or share buyback than lose money solely because of hardware sales.
As far as I'm concerned, I think that it's time for Nintendo to work right now on the next batch of hardware, and to get an ecosystem ready. Otherwise, they're just done.

Oh, completely agreed. But I just wanted to make the point that the R&D expense is a real one that is a result of their actions and results. If their next hardware messes up, then they'll shortly have another huge R&D expense, and if development gets more expensive they might have to buy more buildings etc. It's not something you can wave away and say won't happen again. It's not good for it to be eating into their cash reserves.

But as you point out, of course it has to be done. Not coming up with something new is just throwing in the towel, at which point it doesn't really matter how much cash you have.

Top Bottom