• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

Platy

*offers you to the viking war god*

This is literally what Bryan Fuller and Neil Gaiman hope

I would make a thread, but I think my thread wishes is because it is my omfg dream project and it would not be good to make a thread which complete news is "bryan fuller would love to make sandman tv show" without anything more =P

Ok, not exactly the same interview so maybe just a burning knife in your eye

KingKong

I thought it was pretty uneven but I'm sure it will get better and there were a lot of cool scenes. The actors sounded like they were reading lines from the book

Doberu

Man! What an episode! I I can't wait for the next one. I just hope that they don't pander too much to the fans. So that it doesn't end up like Hannibal season 3. The fans killed that show.

Bebpo

Banned
Looked nice, was pretty faithful to the book, mad Sweeney bar scene was great, techno boy was excellent, but directing felt off for some reason, characters would just launch into these unnatural tirades (Mr. Wednesday on the plane, Audrey at the post-funeral) and it didn't play right for me.

Still can't wait for the next ep.

TripOpt55

I thought the premiere was great. Really brought the book to life in a way I wasn't really sure it could be on TV. Mr. Wednesday was particularly fantastic. I thought they handled the other scenes outside of Shadow's (like the Vikings) really well. They were always interesting, but kind of affected the pace of my reading. I don't know, they worked better than I expected here I guess. The acting and direction was excellent. Visually it was really fantastic. I am really excited to see how they will expand on some of the material in the books. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Zoe

I wish I hadn't seen the name of the leprechaun dude's actor. Now I can't separate him from his past roles >_<

Chris R

I thought it was enjoyable, but the three other people I was watching with who had no frame of reference from reading the book were confused and said it was decent but nothing they felt immediately attached to :\ They kept asking questions that I did my best to answer, but the show should be answering these questions, not me. I know some answers will come, it just sucks to start off like this with them feeling so lost and confused as to what was happening.

Am I reading too much into the
lynching attempt by Technical boy being social commentary on the state of racism on the Internet
?

Also are we supposed to mark 'spoilers' after an episode premiere or am I free to leave them off going forward?

nomis

lynching attempt by Technical boy being social commentary on the state of racism on the Internet
?

Also are we supposed to mark 'spoilers' after an episode premiere or am I free to leave them off going forward?

I don't think you're far off the mark. Also, a minor note, but his speech had a few youtuber-style jump cuts thrown in, really well realized character.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Very good for me, but the person I was watching with had no goddamn idea what was going on.

This is my primary concern, not sure my partner is gonna get into such a whacked-out show that goes off the deep end straight away.

Also, I really did not like the book, and tend to think Fuller has serious self-editing and -restraint issues, so... I dunno about this one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
?

You don't have to mark spoilers after the episode airs. Only for promo material talk and if you watch the episode early via streaming.

I actually got the same vibe! The first scene we get of Shadow ends with the White supremacist in the prison yard looking over at him menacingly, through a noose/loop.

Platy

I wish I hadn't seen the name of the leprechaun dude's actor. Now I can't separate him from his past roles >_<

That was a HOLY SHIT is that Him ? Moment when I went to Google after I finished the episode. What a shit stache does to a person xD

You don't have to mark spoilers after the episode airs. Only for promo material talk and if you watch the episode early via streaming.

I actually got the same vibe! The first scene we get of Shadow ends with the White supremacist in the prison yard looking over at him menacingly, through a noose/loop.

Good! Because I loathe having to use that tag. And yeah, the white supremacist in the prison gang as well as the tree 'dream' sequence contained nooses which I assumed were foreshadowing. I appreciate the update to Technical boy to make him more aligned to the current status of the Internet opposed to being completely faithful to his representation in the book.

I don't think you're far off the mark. Also, a minor note, but his speech had a few youtuber-style jump cuts thrown in, really well realized character.

I missed that but I was semi-distracted with work. Planning to give it a second view with some friends later this week so I'll keep my eye out for it.

I have never read the book and have no knowledge about what will happen but I really enjoyed this episode. The world&#8203; is brilliantly shot, and the show seems to fulfill my love of the strange and bizarre with a darkly humourous edge.

I have never understood why some people need to understand everything that is going on, especially at the very beginning of a story, to engage and want to continue with it.

Typical Fuller dialogue and presentation, stilted, overproduced, in your face, somehow feeling real and dreamlike at the same time. Love it. Will be tuning in each week anxious and brimming with anticipation in front of the TV. Please let it keep it's quality, and not blow it's load prematurely like Hannibal did.

Question: To those who've read the book. Is the show faithful enough? Would it be a bad idea to read the book in the week before the next episode?

Sidenotes:

- I've never seen Shadow Moon's actor but I already like him, more so than I did based on the promotional materials.
- Emily Browning <3
- Anyone else notice how Technoboy(?)'s scene was edited like a YouTuber's video? The odd cuts most of all.
- NICKY FUCKING SOBOTKA
- Shadow Moon is the kinda name I'd use for a MU Online character when I was 15.
- I love Ian McShane. Truly.
- SOBOTKA!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm really glad this didn't happen. It would have been completely wrong for the characters as they were written in the book. In fact, I'm a little concerned that scene was even proposed. It misunderstands Shadow's state of mind at that time to a kind of alarming degree.

yep

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm really glad this didn't happen. It would have been completely wrong for the characters as they were written in the book. In fact, I'm a little concerned that scene was even proposed. It misunderstands Shadow's state of mind at that time to a kind of alarming degree.

Agreed. I actually like what they're doing with the Audrey character here, but I'm glad Shadow was so adamant about not revenge fucking in the cemetery.

Apt101

I wish I could watch this somewhere. Looking at the cast in the OP - how perfect! Damn, I may need to crack the book open again while I wait for it to come to Amazon.

Wait a second....

Hehe, Starz seven day trial beebee.....

Edit: finished the first ep, that far exceeded my expectations. As perfect an adaptation set in the modern day as I could have imagined.
Audrey and Mad Sweeney
were perfect. I loved the updates they did to the new
American tech god
(forgot his name in the books). Even the little touch like his
vape pen having the aroma Shadow thought of in the book when he was around him

This could be the next big thing on TV. They just need to keep up the quality, land all of the characters this well, and not rush the story.

Yeah. I'm not that familiar with Fuller's work, but I'm a little worried that he thought that was a good idea. It's a huge lapse in understanding basic character principles.

Oh ok so no need to spoiler current episode speculation now it's aired.

I haven't read the book so no spoilers.

I felt like the most poignant plot piece was on the plane talking about faith and isaac newton.

So I'm speculating that this show is gonna turn into some kind of GodBusters.

The way he spoke about law and faith. I guess there's a particular hierarchy amongst these deities defined by duration?.

Duno though, so if people have faith in something there's a God for it? There gonna be a $100 bill God?

Economy God? Huh.

Is this gonna be like Scott Pilgrim Beats on God's. Or Blade Runner: God Catcher edition?

Visually gorgeous, fairly well acted, thematically interesting. Great start.

I thought it was enjoyable, but the three other people I was watching with who had no frame of reference from reading the book were confused and said it was decent but nothing they felt immediately attached to :\ They kept asking questions that I did my best to answer, but the show should be answering these questions, not me. I know some answers will come, it just sucks to start off like this with them feeling so lost and confused as to what was happening.

Well, they are supposed to be lost. For now it's a mystery show. The show will answer their questions, but in future episodes.
The only thing they should know is "normal dude got out of jail and he is hired for a con, without knowing he starts being involved with the supernatural".

I felt like the most poignant plot piece was on the plane talking about faith and isaac newton.

The way he spoke about law and faith. I guess there's a particular hierarchy amongst these deities defined by duration?.

Duno though, so if people have faith in something there's a God for it? There gonna be a $100 bill God?

Economy God? Huh.

Is this gonna be like Scott Pilgrim Beats on God's. Or Blade Runner: God Catcher edition?
Its neither of those really. Think more Seven Samurai with God's. Unless they significantly alter the story from the books.

Xero

i read the book my wife didnt, and she loved it. Honestly some people enjoy the more vague story telling like my wife and I. Others need a story to be more straightforward.

Aaron

Having not read the book, I thought it was a jumbled mess. Feels like it's being too cute for the sake of people who know the characters, and that it doesn't always explain the scenes well enough to justify them. Like for the beginning bit, why show the narrator? Might make sense to a person who read the book, but for me things like that make the show too cluttered and less interesting as a result. It's fine to have a few details that will make sense later, but nearly everything in this pilot falls in that catagory.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ah, well, that sure was something.

[edit]

I didn't hate it but I also didn't really think it was all that great. It definitely needed a bit more context for what the hell is happening, you don't need to tell us everything, but at least tell us something.

Kalor

I never read the book but I really enjoyed the first episode. Based on impressions I thought that it would be difficult to follow without reading the book but it wasn't that bad. Its got me interested in its characters and world so I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Watching this made me realize that I should probably get round to Hannibal as well.

Gnome

I think if you're looking for explanations on anything, then this show will leave you disappointed. The book never explained much, shit just happened, and you either followed it or didn't. And you either picked up on the metaphors or you didn't.

Economy God? Huh.

Prepare for some of the weirdest dialogues ever seen on television. Everyone speaks like a puzzle in the book, and at some point you won't even notice.
Great episode by the way.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I know nothing about the book and I didn't feel it was confusing, really. Well, except for the vikings part, but I figure we will find out as the show goes on.

Corpekata

Banned
At this point you're meant to be like Shadow who has no fucking clue what's going on. In the book there's eventually a large info dump and I'd imagine some of the context people are wanting will be around episode 3 or 4.

At this point you're meant to be like Shadow who has no fucking clue what's going on. In the book there's eventually a large info dump and I'd imagine some of the context people are wanting will be around episode 3 or 4.
Pretty much. You know as much as Shadow does now

Top Bottom