• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Watching videos on nintendo website is always a pain.. and its not because of japanese.

Kerrby

Banned
Wow Nostalgia overload in those battle stages.

Just wondering, can you play battle mode with bots or is it only online? I only ask because none of my friends have a 3DS and online is going to be a pain in the arse with Nintendo.

EDIT: wtf is up with Donkey Kongs voice jesus christ.

Kerrby said:
I'm actually pleasantly surprised how toned down it is compared to the wii version where he never shut up with the yelling when doing tricks over a small series of jumps, it was torturous for both me using him and any other player in the surrounding area.
Of course the preferable option would be to just give him a new voice that doesn't sound like the Ape equivalent of Scooby Doo

That battle mode looks sweet. 8 player free-for-all and coin battles confirmed. It also looks like balloon stealing is in and I think that was a new version of the N64 donut level.

Kerrby said:
Wow Nostalgia overload in those battle stages.

Just wondering, can you play battle mode with bots or is it only online? I only ask because none of my friends have a 3DS and online is going to be a pain in the arse with Nintendo.

I thought I read Mario Karts online was massively improved over the usual fair. Communities and all that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Colonel Mustard said:
I thought I read Mario Karts online was massively improved over the usual fair. Communities and all that.

Even Mario Kart Wii's online is far superior to the usual Nintendo standard. Totally smooth and playable, good interface for just jumping online and racing for hours.

I'd be shocked if the MK team didn't deliver an even better experience on the 3DS.

All the new courses look spectacular. I'm, believe it or not, more hyped for this than 3D land and Skyward Sword (and you won't even believe how hyped I am for those games)

and:
DAISYS CRUISER YESYESYES! :D

Ninjagorilla said:
All the new courses look spectacular. I'm, believe it or not, more hyped for this than 3D land and Skyward Sword (and you won't even believe how hyped I am for those games)

Same.

I can't believe they didn't fuck up Battle Mode and I am extremely happy about that.

Around 4 of the 6 Battle Mode courses look fun.

Free-for-all being back is the biggest deal though for me.

Kaijima said:
Even Mario Kart Wii's online is far superior to the usual Nintendo standard. Totally smooth and playable, good interface for just jumping online and racing for hours.

I'd be shocked if the MK team didn't deliver an even better experience on the 3DS.
MKWii's online is part of why I don't get how people dump on MKWii moreso than DD!! and MKDS. After the enormous disappointment that was Brawl's online, I was more than just a little surprised that a game I'd already written off as only being playable locally was able to smoothly handle big and hectic 12 player races with only minor frame drops.

If MK3DS builds on that while balancing the items than this is probably going to be the first MK I legitimately love since Super Circuit (which I really don't get why people overlook so much, especially when SMK is still fondly remembered and SC's essentially a direct sequel to that).

Character roster is still completely forgettable outside the mandatory characters like Mario, Peach, Wario, DK, etc.

Triton55

Diddy Kong has to be in, with the DKCR track and Retro's involvement. It doesn't make sense for him NOT to be in, considering a couple of the other character choices. Especially since was a full-fledged Brawl character and had his own racing game.

Triton55 said:
Diddy Kong has to be in, with the DKCR track and Retro's involvement. It doesn't make sense for him NOT to be in, considering a couple of the other character choices. Especially since was a full-fledged Brawl character and had his own racing game.
It didn't annoy me as much in MKDS since it came out around when that Diddy Kong Racing remake (which wasn't that good a remake, but whatever) was being made and may of caused some confusion. Was honestly more irked when I found out later they had E. Gadd from Luigi's Mansion planned and decided cut him. Why? He's an original character and would stand out from the usual playable 'goomba/koopa/boo' thing these games always do. ROB was neat in a 'what the fuck' sort of way though.

Site for this game seems to indicate we already have the entire roster confirmed, so that'd mean no more Kongs... Or Waluigi, now that I think about it.
metal mario is still the laziest character addition in the entire history of everything

Richie

Those wondering if the last retro track would be from N64 or GNC, I can tell you it's...

(juicy surprise coming ahead, do yourself a favor and wait the two and a half weeks it'll take for the game to be released)

...neither. Our first Mario Kart with two Rainbow Roads since Super Circuit came out, thanks to the addition of the SNES' original!

If you didn't mind the spoiler, you'll like the following link: All of the tracks revealed.

Richie said:
...neither. Our first Mario Kart with two Rainbow Roads since Super Circuit came out, thanks to the addition of the SNES' original!

:-O Glad I looked. That actually hyped me up more for the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Richie said:
Those wondering if the last retro track would be from N64 or GNC, I can tell you it's...

(juicy surprise coming ahead, do yourself a favor and wait the two and a half weeks it'll take for the game to be released)

If you didn't mind the spoiler, you'll like the following link: All of the tracks revealed.

Again, no Baby Park is an absolute disgrace.

Berordn

Plinko said:
Again, no Baby Park is an absolute disgrace.
The insanity of Baby Park is only worthwhile in Double Dash where every item could be dropped on the course, and there were far more projectiles going around. When they toned down the stuff that gets dropped in the course in DS, it just turned into a boring oval circuit. We're not really missing out on anything, anymore.

Berordn said:
Well, finally. Still a far cry from
four Rainbow Roads cup
but a step in the right direction.
Wasn't that some rumor back when the DS one came out there was a rainbow cup with all the rainbow roads? Not a real rumor but a Mew behind the truck rumor.

Why would you do that? said:
The music for that spoiler stage is going to be so awesome.

Still sad there's no SNES Bowser's Castle. Maybe for the Wii U...

Bowser castle 1 is in. Unless you mean another number.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Disappointed by the lack of
Block Fort and /or Double Decker
for Battle Stages, but I hope the new ones pick up the slack a bit.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Richie said:

Normally I wouldn't like that, but that track was so brutal I'm actually interested in playing it again. I hope it's as narrow as the original :p.

Kilrogg said:
Normally I wouldn't like that, but that track was so brutal I'm actually interested in playing it again. I hope it's as narrow as the original :p.
And hopefully they don't add guard rails.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Berordn said:
That's the GBA Bowser Castle 1, so no SNES final battle remix, sadly.
How could I only just notice that Bowser's Castle is a remix of SMW's final battle. I feel so so small now.

Ghost23

I'm confused, is the last cup with new tracks still called special cup? Has it just not been revealed yet? Just making sure there are still track left to be spoiled because I can't help watching all the videos. :p

FuzzyNorman said:
I'm confused, is the last cup with new tracks still called special cup? Has it just not been revealed yet? Just making sure there are still track left to be spoiled because I can't help watching all the videos. :p
Not revealed yet, I guess we can expect a new Bowser Castle and Rainbow Road and I think the DK track hasn't slotted into the previous 3 cups yet so it should be here.
not going to lie, i'm getting pretty tired of the by the numbers RR and BC tracks in each game, hoping for a design shake up this time

I still wish we could get a new game with more than 32 tracks. Yes, it's a lot - especially considering the mirrored versions of each one - but I'd gladly kick out some characters and/or kart customization features to have more tracks. It's easy to get burned out after a while playing online just because you end up seeing the same tracks over and over again.

I'd also love to see the complete older games as unlockables, like in GCN Animal Crossing. They take up such a tiny amount of space now that it wouldn't be unfeasible. Sadly, now that everything has to be monetized, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Gravijah

BGBW said:
How could I only just notice that Bowser's Castle is a remix of SMW's final battle. I feel so so small now.

i honestly didn't notice until recently and i listen to both songs all the time.

Michan

Watching the various YouTube videos gets me really excited for Mario Kart on Wii U. Some of the track design is really beautiful (the cherry blossom and windmill levels are stunning). Mario Kart is going to look incredible in HD.

gwarm01

This has probably been asked but I couldn't find it. Will MK7 support local multiplayer on a single kart? I really don't want to have to buy two copies just so I can play with my wife.

FyreWulff

gwarm01 said:
This has probably been asked but I couldn't find it. Will MK7 support local multiplayer on a single kart? I really don't want to have to buy two copies just so I can play with my wife.

I haven't seen a confirmation but this is Nintendo, every handheld Nintendo racing game has supported single cartridge play. Hell, even Diddy Kong Racing supported the entire racing selection in single-cart on DS.

It'd be very strange if they suddenly required cartridges for all players in wireless mode.

DarkWish

gwarm01 said:
Yes, Download Play is in. People that don't have the game are forced to play as Shy Guy though.

Berordn

DarkWish said:
Yes, Download Play is in. People that don't have the game are forced to play as Shy Guy though.
That was confirmed? I thought they were forced to play as their 3DS Mii since Shy Guy was part of the regular roster now.

friskykillface said:
wait, how many retro stages and how many new stages?

those vids were great, lol fireball underwater D:

the trains :D :D
Like the previous two games (excluding the Mario Kart Arcade GP games), there are 16 courses from previous games and 16 new courses. The full list is here.

Top Bottom