• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Shouta

I enjoy that the MC of the GATE 4komas is basically the feather girl who wasn't killed in the bandit group who becomes security chief of the camp town. It's a nice little character change.

Myutti isn't the only character that gets featured in the 4-komas but she gets a few. I liked that she got made the security chief and the 4-komas explain how it happened in an amusing way. Persia, the catgirl Kurata is gaga over, and Worf gets a bunch too.

mdubs

Banned
Good news my dudes, this Promised Neverland had another good week.

The Promised Neverland
The Promised Neverland Vol. 1 (3 days) --> 24,380, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 49,785
The Promised Neverland Vol. 2 (2 days) --> 40,683, Second Charting (9 days total) --> 78,409

Updated the comparisons below:

Shonen Jump First Week Volume Sales

I say KnY is safe, the mangaka would of had a 3-4 week notice of a quick axe and right now the latest chapters are in the middle of a healing arc (MC and his boys got thrashed hard) which is going at a normal pace instead of rushing towards an end. Hinomaru I have 0 clue where its at or how its changed if its going into a quick axe, and yeah Spring Weapon has seemed to found some life so maybe it has avoided the axe this round.

Also next issue
Weekly Shonen Jump #13
Cover, Lead CP: Hungry Marie(New Series by Ryuhei Tamura)
CP: Samon the Summoner, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Boruto

I think KnY is safe for now since it's still only 4 volumes in and had good rankings. Samon the Summoner is still getting colour pages too which is interesting. I thought Spring Weapon would be a goner for sure but this ranking complicates things. Its first volume did terrible sales wise (and failed to chart this week with an 11K floor)

I'd expect Shueisha to prioritize volume sales (and potentially other types of merchandise sales for series where this is applicable) over the rankings as a series continues. At the start they'll probably favor the rankings seeing them as an indicator of potential growth, but I imagine if a series proves itself to be a low seller after a few volumes that it becomes a prime candidate for axing

Correct me if I'm wrong but KnY outranks and outsells Samon and its continuing to get color pages and isn't in fear of cancelation I think both are safe for awhile unless all 6 of these new series all collectively become the next one piece.

Last Volume Sales
KnY Vol 4 Week 1 = 21,815
KnY Vol 4 Week 2 = Under 17,382
KnY Vol 4 Total = 21,815 - 39,196 (Likely number is around 31,815 since most Jump titles that debuted the same week as this dropped by 50% the 2nd week)

Samon Vol 7 Week 1 = 13,028 (Post Christmas, weak sales for everything)
Samon Vol 7 Week 2 = 18,655 (Most manga that debuted the previous week sold equal or higher then that this week)
Samon Vol 7 Total = 31,683

Both are on sorta equal ground.

Good news my dudes, this Promised Neverland had another good week.

The Promised Neverland
The Promised Neverland Vol. 1 (3 days) --> 24,380, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 49,785
The Promised Neverland Vol. 2 (2 days) --> 40,683, Second Charting (9 days total) --> 78,409

Updated the comparisons below:

I think KnY is safe for now since it's still only 4 volumes in and had good rankings. Samon the Summoner is still getting colour pages too which is interesting. I thought Spring Weapon would be a goner for sure but this ranking complicates things. Its first volume did terrible sales wise (and failed to chart this week with an 11K floor)

Color page for its final chapter ^_^?

Could be a random better than usual rank for Spring Weapon, unless one thinks it will really survive for several more rounds.

We Never Learn 2

Well, we learn why the two characters want to study the fields they do, instead of what they're already good at. Though I think Yuiga needs to think up an actual plan of some kind.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga 91

Man, Hime just continuously proves she's the best character. I'm pretty sure she's still also the strongest youkai he has on his team.

Also, greeeeeaaattttt they introduced a numeric power level thingy. I'm sure that's not going to make the manga fucking worse with power level bullshit. Ugh. I legitimately hate any time a manga has a good thing going and then goes "Also, here are numbers!" No one fucking cares.

Also, that fucking cliffhanger we'll finally get the Hime Reishii. It better be awesome.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 158

Ugh, I always forget that Asahi had a crush on Aizawa at first and she turned him down. It makes everything after so much more brutal now that she likes him and he's going out with Youko. And Jesus, that shot of future Aizawa her crying while looking at Youko was fucking harsh after describing how cold her eyes look.

It was made even more painful with Asahi going back over everything and saying he needed to create some distance so that she wouldn't get the wrong idea...and he thinks about it at the exact worst time when Aizawa makes a move towards him and he slaps her hand away which is WAY more direct and harsh than he's ever been in the series. Mikan coming to talk to him, being someone who is in the same situation as Aizawa, says directly that it's not the same as her or the others because he acts way more uneasy around her and can't figure out whether he wants to set boundaries or not (which must crush Mikan inside that she doesn't cause that reaction in him).

All leading up to that last page where Asahi realizes that they can't have that same relationship anymore.

Every time someone says a manga cannot continue past a relationship which is why they draw it out and wait til the end to have requited love I want to shove this manga in their face and say "FUCK YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU"

I am going to miss the FUCK out of this series.

Kako and the False Detective 1.2

Stop numbering chapters weird you dumb mangakas.

I like that besides having the ghosts basically point at the answer he still has some smarts on him, taking notice of the bike helmet, the closed gas stations and the fact that they could get cell reception out there. That was a nice little shot of him not just coasting on the ghosts abilities.

It's also a good thing to note that revengeful spirits can be those who were murdered and not bad people but just that due to holding onto their grudges they can become revengeful. Proof that asian ghosts are just assholes.

I bet they'll play off the detective seeing Kako which is...annoying because it's not a funny running joke ever. Still prefer evil-faced Kako.

Zweizer

Banned
Hinamatsuri ch62

Anzu will forever be everyone's favorite sister/daughter~

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch158

Yeah there's no easy way to mend this. It's painful, but I hope Asahi will manage somehow.

Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san ch25

Such a scaredy-dog.

Hcb306M.jpg

That's an important question.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch91

Hime is pretty much singlehandedly making it with reading. Can't wait for the long-awaited reishi union.

Kako and the False Detective 1.25755
A spirit that can summon truck-kun is a dangerous spirit indeed. Aside from some small initial assistance from the victim's ghost, the MC proved here that the 'False Detective' label is actually doing him a disservice. I approve of Kako's pseudo-jovial attitude towards everything, including threats to the life of her host. Also her ghost form is still clearly cuter than her 'human' appearance.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch856

Luffy being cadaveric is pretty scary to see. So much for hightailing out of there though.

My Hero Academia ch127

What a strict guy.

Shokugeki no Soma ch203

It's a good sign for the upcoming Regiment at least (not that they're at any risk of actually losing).

One Piece 856:
Luffy and Sanji reuniting was great. It seems like Capone is up to some big shit that we should find out about soon.

Detective Conan 987:
So Kuroda is interested in the Haneda Kohji case in addition to knowing who Rumi is. It's nice to see him taking center stage after quite a long time away, and it's always good to see a couple of suspicious characters interacting. I wonder what Rumi's reasons are for bringing Conan and co along this time.

Beyond that, it was nice to see Shiratori again for a little bit. Dude has barely had any appearances for like the past five years. I guess Rumi cases will be the place he can appear now due to her working with Kobayashi?

There's a good chance it'll be the best of the bunch

It's also the least likely to be picked up :|

And then it will get extremely inconsistent translations afterwards because sports manga.

bobohoro

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 158

Ah, fuck.
This is gonna ruin me.

Youkai Shoujo 91

Best girl reishi union incoming.
The power level stuff was shit though, just feels like a setup to have some power creep to extend the series. Never ends up good.

Kengan Asura 52

Man, the strength of this tournament so far is that every match has been competitive or at least not a curb-stomp which means it's far more entertaining to watch two random competitors that you know have no chance of making it to the finals. The fights have more weight to them and even if one side will definitely win it still is fun to read.

I'm really curious what the assassin guy's deal is. He seems to be completely unhinged but not focused on beating people or killing them. I think he just likes fucking with people, because he shows up to the fight covered in blood and you see the aftermath of his fight with Rihito in the bathroom and even though Rihito is covered in blood and the bathroom is devastated, Rihito is still being held back by two people from fighting and is fucking PISSED. So the guy had to have been fucking with him but how?

I also like that there's some deal with Robinson that actually gave the assassin head surprise because that means this will yet again be a contested and interesting fight and not just Robinson fighting uphill against the assassin. He's had a bit too much screen time to be a jobber, honestly.

Huh, after getting past the fucking stupid LN tie-in shit, this Black Clover arc and it's fights have actually been pretty good. The Queen being a total shitbag in the latest chapter was a pretty good set up.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken 4

Oh. That's actually kinda neat. Demons don't have names so giving them one is basically infusing them with magic power and causes them to evolve. Huh.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Piece Alright, lets fuck up this wedding!

MHA Trying to overwhelm the guy with movements doesn't seem to work (as it didn't with the last guy I fought) What can I do? I know! I'll just try and go faster!

Demon's Plan Oh sure, the last chapter is when you break out the cool art. That demon city looked really cool, that shot of Carlos standing over the dude looked really cool, if this wasn't the last chapter, I would have been a little excited about the next arc :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

Decent chapter that's probably going to be popular because its overloaded with Erina being dere. If you just look at reddit you'll see its working because everyone is fawning over Erina now.

upandaway

One Piece

I really want Sanji to be badass again. He's had such a hard time this arc. Can't wait until he gets his moment to beat the crap out of his family.

Black Torch Ch1-2: This seems neat so far, premise isn't outstanding but the worldbuilding and characters are enough to keep it afloat in my heart at least.

Sukedachi 09 Ch19: Wait.. What? Is he sleep murdering people. I mean cool but it's still a little dumb.

Dolls Ch81-82: Well that took a sudden turn... I mean I get that letting him get any closer would have been bad... but he did blow that guy's brains all over that small child, while it was being 'live-streamed' across the world.

One Piece Ch856: The gears have begun to move, and nobody can stop them now.

My Hero Academia Ch127: Harsh but seemingly true words...

Souma Ch203: All in all not a bad chapter. I really like them arguing over who won.

Black Clover Ch98: Well... this is a bit of a predicament.

Deamon's Plan Ch12 (END): All that cool art just shows the potential wasted... could've done so much better with the idea they had. Shame really as well..

upandaway

Hakumei & Mikochi 23

I ended up drinking tea, instead of coffee while reading this because it's 1 AM. I hope the author forgives me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The amount of praise they were throwing out in that Shokugeki chapter seemed like the set up for some kind of super lewd doujin. They all gave each other orfoodgasms and then started praising each for being such thoughtful loverschefs.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I say KnY is safe, the mangaka would of had a 3-4 week notice of a quick axe and right now the latest chapters are in the middle of a healing arc (MC and his boys got thrashed hard) which is going at a normal pace instead of rushing towards an end. Hinomaru I have 0 clue where its at or how its changed if its going into a quick axe, and yeah Spring Weapon has seemed to found some life so maybe it has avoided the axe this round.

Also next issue
Weekly Shonen Jump #13
Cover, Lead CP: Hungry Marie(New Series by Ryuhei Tamura)
CP: Samon the Summoner, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Boruto
I'd say KnY has been safe ever since Zenitsu and Inosuke got introduced. You could tell it was preparing to be ended in the arc before that. I think Jump's willing to sit on it, and I'm thankful for that lol.

Fbh

So Demons Plan got cancelled
While I feel bad for the people behind it.... this could be seen comming from a mile away.

I still find it weird that it got picked up in the first place. It was really bland from the start. Generic setting, boring main character, boring and unoriginal world/setting. Couldn't have been more generic if they tried

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MHA Trying to overwhelm the guy with movements doesn't seem to work (as it didn't with the last guy I fought) What can I do? I know! I'll just try and go faster!

Makes sense. Just because you can see a meteor coming for you in the future doesn't mean you can avoid it.

Wombs 1-8

Interesting premise. Essentially, all women combat units have alien(?) creatures implanted into their wombs so that they can access some kind of parallel dimension using their power, and eventually incubate it to the level where they can take it out for...something. It's kind of pulpy, but not as trashy as that kind of sci-fi. I particularly like the art at times, it kind of reminds me of Yoji Shinkawa.

Droplet

So Demons Plan got cancelled
While I feel bad for the people behind it.... this could be seen comming from a mile away.

I still find it weird that it got picked up in the first place. It was really bland from the start. Generic setting, boring main character, boring and unoriginal world/setting. Couldn't have been more generic if they tried

It's not like most of the other series that have made it big have actually done so off of any actual sense of originality, and there are plenty of unique series that get canned. I'd argue the three biggest factors that keep a series going in Jump are appealing characters, interesting and comprehensible art, and easily followed and dynamic paneling and layouts. Demon's Plan lacked the first two, and I think that's because people found the characters and art bland, but plenty others get canned because people find them difficult to follow.

Top Bottom