• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

skyfinch

Threi said:
Just fyi I called several EB games in Canada asking the trade value of a 360, which right now is $25. I asked them if there was a $100 promotion and they laughed saying no way in hell.

:(

Damn! :lol Guess I'll be keeping mine. Maybe hand it down to one of my nephews when Kinect comes out.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Digital-Hero said:
Here are a few comparison pictures of my PS3 and 360 slim models.

http://i46.tinypic.com/rljb7o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/v7tlit.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/27zg020.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Goddam... Two of the ugliest consoles of all time. PS3 and 360 Elite fat for life!!!!

jediyoshi

DMeisterJ said:
Goddam... Two of the ugliest consoles of all time. PS3 and 360 Elite fat for life!!!!

176114-pc_fx_super.jpg

TOAO_Cyrus said:
They may include the chip for backwords compatibility but with the PPC arch pretty much dead they will probably go x86 which will make using the old processor for new games impossible.
They aren't going back to x86. Well, at least not with Intel. Intel had way too much control of the manufacturing process. I could see them going with AMD. But with the amount of R&D they've put into shrinking the 360 cpu/gpu down I would think it would be more likely that they bring it down to 32nm, boost the clock speed and go with a couple of extra cores to have a very cheap manufacturing process for the next system. Whatever the case is, x86 or PPC (and I don't think it matters that apple moved away from PPC or that IBM isn't pushing it-- it has no bearing, MS is free to do what they want with the PPC and modify it and make it smaller/faster), they'll go with the option thats cheaper. And since I think that they'll want backwards compatibility (due to Xbox Live content), it makes a lot of sense to keep working on the current architecture.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Jtyettis said:
The deal in the US is most certainly official as some of us here including myself have already done it.

But $25 in Canada. Wow.

It's up on the website now.

For people who've already gotten their slims, some people on cheapassgamer are saying their new slims are running hot (as in the console box get hot to the touch). Are you all having the same problem?

I'm thinking about trading in for the larger hard drive size and internal wireless n. My current elite hasn't had any problems though.

ACE 1991

Campin' out in front of gamestop tomorrow morning about an hour and a half before it opens with some friends. Got cigars, my ds, and some bombcast, and lawn chairs. Should be a blast :lol

FrankT

luxarific said:

For people who've already gotten their slims, some people on cheapassgamer are saying their new slims are running hot (as in the console box get hot to the touch). Are you all having the same problem?

I'm thinking about trading in for the larger hard drive size and internal wireless n. My current elite hasn't had any problems though.

As I stated earlier there is serious heat coming off the fan from the top on that side, but other than that no.

ACE 1991 said:
Campin' out in front of gamestop tomorrow morning about an hour and a half before it opens with some friends. Got cigars, my ds, and some bombcast, and lawn chairs. Should be a blast :lol

Cigars and lawn chairs now we're talking.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Jtyettis said:
As I stated earlier there is serious heat coming off the fan from the top on that side, but other than that no.

Thanks (the thread is 19 pages long so I haven't read the whole thing).

ACE 1991 said:
You know, they probably won't have them as soon as the store opens.

hmm I might have to take up Gamestop on this trade in offer. What happens to all the content I bought from Marketplace and XBLA is there a way I can "detach" it from my current Xbox 360 HDD? and is there a way to reformat the HDD because I had credit card information on it.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
You know, they probably won't have them as soon as the store opens.
Correct. They won't get them until they get their shipment. If you do camp out, make sure you bring some food. You'll probably be at the store until lunch time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looking at the deal, think I'm sitting at $245 trade value

3x wireless controllers
1x Wifi Dongle
1x 20 GB HD
1x Working Console

Still comes down to "how would I take the saves and purchases off my 60 GB HD, onto the 360 Slim, and get the $35 for it too"

Wonder what they'd give me for some broken Xbox's

asdad123

One question, I want to trade in my Xbox for the new Slim, but what if they dont have anymore slims in stock when I go to purchase it?
Would they let me trade in my 360 for the $100 and put me on some list for the slim or would I be out of luck?

NZNova said:
Is there any indication of whether or not the HD-DVD drive will still work with the new 360 / new dash?

I'm wondering that too. I know the medium is dead but there's a ton a great HD movies on HD DVD that are dirt cheap.

asdad123 said:
One question, I want to trade in my Xbox for the new Slim, but what if they dont have anymore slims in stock when I go to purchase it?
Would they let me trade in my 360 for the $100 and put me on some list for the slim or would I be out of luck?
SOL

Eternia

Anticitizen One said:
hmm I might have to take up Gamestop on this trade in offer. What happens to all the content I bought from Marketplace and XBLA is there a way I can "detach" it from my current Xbox 360 HDD? and is there a way to reformat the HDD because I had credit card information on it.
Your credit card information should only be in your gamer profile, so copy that over and you should be fine. You can either copy all your stuff to a USB drive and then shove it to the new console (and then use the online license transfer tool to associate it to your new console) or buy the transfer cable for $20 and use that (automatically transfers your licenses).

LoneStar said:
Looking at the deal, think I'm sitting at $245 trade value

3x wireless controllers
1x Wifi Dongle
1x 20 GB HD
1x Working Console

Still comes down to "how would I take the saves and purchases off my 60 GB HD, onto the 360 Slim, and get the $35 for it too"
Supposedly gamestop will let your take your console home to transfer your data as long as you bring it back the old one within some short time. Someone else mentioned that in this thread.

luxarific said:

I don't necessarily think its running hotter than the old Xbox, more likely the ventilation is way better so its sucking in more cool air and pushing out more hot air.

luxarific said:

I am going to call tomorrow, but does anyone know if you do the trade-in even if they are out of the new Xbox360? It says you have to put it towards a purchase of a new one, but if they are out then what? I have work tomorrow so I won't be able to camp out.

Eternia said:
Supposedly gamestop will let your take your console home to transfer your data as long as you bring it back the old one within some short time. Someone else mentioned that in this thread.

From what I gathered at work, GS will allow you to trade in everything except for the HD. You can go home and transfer your data and come back to the store with your old HD and receipt and then they will give you your trade in credit. Giving you the credit first and trusting that you'll come back requires too much faith from the store. Some places may allow you (if they know you well) but most won't.

One more question you know that little cover for the 2 USB ports on the front of the 360? I had broken that off...is that gonna be a deal breaker or can i still get $100?

MrDaravon

infinityBCRT said:
I don't necessarily think its running hotter than the old Xbox, more likely the ventilation is way better so its sucking in more cool air and pushing out more hot air.

Yeah, this is what it seems like. It definitely runs hot on the right-hand side of the system, but it's only running hot on that part directly at the fan and from the fan to the back side of the system; the left-hand side runs completely cool. If you ever actually put your hand behind a regular 360 that's been running for a few minutes it actually blows out some surprisingly hot air, and this felt just like that. I think people are just noticing it much more now that it's coming out the top of the system, but doesn't seem like it's anything to be concerned about at all.

skyfinch

Eaten By A Grue said:
I am going to call tomorrow, but does anyone know if you do the trade-in even if they are out of the new Xbox360? It says you have to put it towards a purchase of a new one, but if they are out then what? I have work tomorrow so I won't be able to camp out.

Probably keep it on credit until the next shipment.

REV 09

yea, i don't think the HDD trade in values are inflated for the deal. So just trade everything in except the HDD. Buy the slim. Go home. Transfer everything from the HDD to the slim, and then go back and trade the HDD in for some credit to use later.

goldenpp72

Anyone here know if transferring data could risk losing rank? I've been ranking up a lot in gears 2 and I fear transferring due to it..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Microsoft claimed this new Xbox is even quieter than then the Wii. Is that true?

FrankT

Gahiggidy said:
Microsoft claimed this new Xbox is even quieter than then the Wii. Is that true?

This seems like the general consensus so far on noise;

Digital-Hero said:
BTW, reports confirmed. The quietest 360 yet when idle and with game disc in. Loving this machine. This is how you make a enhanced model! :D

Kind of doubt there has been any Wii versus 360 S side by side comparisons yet heh.

noisome07

Banned
anotherworld said:
Quick question if anyone knows. If i buy the new one, can Xbox Live detect what arcade live games i bought and re-download it to the new xbox?

i think you have to do a license transfer. i'm probably wrong though.

Jtyettis said:
Just got to go here;

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Did it for the first time today. Pretty easy process.
The only reason to do that is if you aren't online 24/7 with your 360. Everything you purchase and download from XBL can be re-downloaded at any time on any Xbox 360. As long as you have the same gamertag obviously.

EDIT: Noticed that you're going to redownload everything, rather than just transferring everything over from your old HDD. You might as well do the license migration.

lachesis

Just got my 360s. Pretty sweet. (Gamestop @ Edgewater NJ) - I came by early this morning before going to work, and they said they might get this afternoon. After confirming they had the units, I went back after work around 8p, and 360s GET! :))

Not as small as I hope it would be, but it certainly is smaller - probably around inch all around, and maybe a quarter inch in width (when standing).

I took the GS upgrade program - turned my 3time refurbished model from MS, with wireless g with default 20gb HDD... came out to be $170 credit towards. I also had original Ethernet cable, so they took that as well for 65 cents. Better than nothing I guess... and grand total for getting this new 360s was 138.39. Not bad at all, considering my old xbox didn't have HDMI to begin with.

The unit is very quiet, compared to Fat 60gb PS3, it's quieter. However its louder (I think due to higher RPM) when running disc. But even so, it's multitude quieter (at least 3-4 times quieter) than my old, early model 360. However, the fan on the side - it's pretty warm.

Only thing is, it somehow doesn't pick up my wireless n (5.0ghz) network, so I'm just using the 2.4ghz g-network that I have set-up for other consoles. I also had little bit of NAT issue - but with some port forwarding and turning off other wifi devices like my wife's mbp, I finally was able to connect to Live.

Touch sensors make a little chime, which is pretty neat - no new opening animation as far as I can tell.

DasRaven

lachesis said:
Just got my 360s. Pretty sweet.

Only thing is, it somehow doesn't pick up my wireless n (5.0ghz) network, so I'm just using the 2.4ghz g-network that I have set-up for other consoles. I also had little bit of NAT issue - but with some port forwarding and turning off other wifi devices like my wife's mbp, I finally was able to connect to Live.

The internal WiFi is only single-band capable. The accessory is dual-band capable.

lachesis

DasRaven said:
The internal WiFi is only single-band capable. The accessory is dual-band capable.

Does this mean that it can only connect to 2.4ghz...? Shucks. ;) Oh well. I've been fine with g, so I guess g would have to do...

Nif

Before I try hunting one of these down, it still has the IR receiver for remotes, right?

edit: Nevermind, found it a few pages back. :)

LiK

DMeisterJ said:

i do have to agree. i guess they're fighting hard for us to hide our consoles instead.

lachesis

Broman1978 said:
You got some 250GB on your Harddrive....Why would you play from the disc? just install the game =P

Yeah. It seems like it's the only way to go from now on. ;) Remember, I only had 20gb originally, so when I installed a game, I was gasping for some free space... LOL.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
TOAO_Cyrus said:
They may include the chip for backwords compatibility but with the PPC arch pretty much dead they will probably go x86 which will make using the old processor for new games impossible.

Could anyone elaborate on this? PPC gone?

Top Bottom