• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UPs GTA IV Pre-Review (previous rumors of 360 version 'issues' true...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizman23

Banned
Great...it was an awesome 10 minutes without anohter console war thread popping up. Why isn't this thread locked? There are multiple GTA4 threads including the Offcial one.

i understand it references the 360 controller but how could you miss the PS3 in bold next to GTA4 and right below that it says also on 360.

Traffic will be nonexistent one second, then three cars deep when you rotate the camera back around, and then completely disappear when your wanted level gets to two or three stars

If this is going to be a problem, it would more than likely be worse on the PS3, this is mostly a memory issue after all.

Roland

Does the game have an install for the PS3 version? I'm still on the fence between the PS3 and 360 version, but leaning towards switching my pre-order from PS3 to 360 because of the multiplayer. If it does have an install to make the game flow better, I'll stick with PS3.

BobTheFork said:
It looks that way, but does anyone really expect more flaw on the lead platform? 360 was the lead here correct?
wasn't meaning to infer i thought the ps3 version wouldn't suffer from the same flaws.

i mean, we don't know, but i'd wager those issues are present in both skus.

should have stressed the bit about it being the same game on both platforms more i guess.

skip said:
this kinda stuff sucks the fun out of gaming, writing about gaming, and reading about gaming.

I was just going to ask you to come in here and clear things up and end this potential train wreck of a thread. :D

GQman2121 said:
It's crazy how people fish/dig/hunt to find stories to start system comparisons........

Come on kids.

I know, God Forbid if someone owns more than one console and wants to purchase the best version of a game.

plagiarize said:
wasn't meaning to infer i thought the ps3 version wouldn't suffer from the same flaws.

i mean, we don't know, but i'd wager those issues are present in both skus.

should have stressed the bit about it being the same game on both platforms more i guess.
no I didn't mean you were saying that. It was more of a question to the thread. There are supposed 'rumors' about the 360 version being inferior now because of this article that mentions a 360 controller. It don't think there is much chance of the lead platform being inferior. It these issues exist, it will be for both platforms.

Steroyd

soco said:
i mean disappearing traffic when you turn your head? what? maybe it's just outside of a certain radius that they disappear?

On PS2 GTA's when you look and drive straight then look away and look back vehicles randomly appear.

I was hoping these niggles would be resolved to a degree with teh awesome powah of Cell and Falcon but it looks like I was wrong, the annoyance has been adding up in each iteration I might not buy a GTA one day because of it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
istockphoto_1523068_stirring_the_pot.jpg

syllogism

Sadly even the PC version will probably suffer from the disappearing traffic flaw. I wonder how pronounced the issue is in multiplayer, have any of the previews touched this?

Teknoman

Crushed said:
Wow, a "grainy" framerate. That's true innovation, kudos to Rockstar.

For their next game, I hope they have a dry framerate, or a heavy framerate, or maybe even a surprised magenta framerate. Maybe a lustful HUD, or allergic graphics. It'll be just like wine tasting.

"Mmyes, this gameplay is quite honest but amusing. Well-traveled, elastic, and earthy, with a hint of electromagnetism tinged with an artistic gambling addiction."

:lol back and in action.

Gowans

skip said:
this kinda stuff sucks the fun out of gaming, writing about gaming, and reading about gaming.

yeah, you would think everyone would be happy that as many fans as possible could enjoy the game :lol

I cant wait to get my hands on it, play online with friends & gaffers, read peoples experiences with the game here no matter what system they are on.

Hopefully the mods will get on it, its a shame they have to but over the last six months its got crazy with this bollocks here.

GAF is an amazing forum and because its multiplatform you would think people could share broader experiences about all games out there and get called out on fanboy bullshit but sometimes guys you really let this yourselves down, sly digs and trolling on other gamers is just weak.

/rant over, outta this thread.

Steroyd said:
On PS2 GTA's when you look drive straight look away and look back vehicles randomly appear.

I was hoping these niggles would be resolved to a degree with teh awesome powah of Cell and Falcon but it looks like I was wrong, the annoyance has been adding up in each iteration I might not buy a GTA one day because of it.
I think its one of the sacrifices that has to be made to even have a giant persistent city like GTA4 does. All the GTA's have had this problem so I'm fairly used to it. As long as there is no missing road popup I'm happy.

FightyF

Banned
King_Slender said:
No, I read this and saw only a reference to the 360 controller and not cross-platform reference. I'm out of this thread before I 'Evander' it up.

What the hell do you mean by "Evander" it up?

RumFore

Banned
Please just link articles without adding shit because instead of talking about the article and GTA IV many will only discuss these "issues" which you are not even sure of.

skip

the one thing I'll clarify is that my original preview text didn't specify a controller/system -- not sure why that got added in editing. we reviewed primarily on the 360, with spending some brief time with the PS3 version to compare. the rockstar guys told us they think that the PS3 looks slightly better, but it really was hard to tell.

we were too busy having fun trying to run tanker trucks into gas stations.

golem

one console future indeed... i think its legitimate to want to know which version of the game looks/performs the best. the thread title is pure troll though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
* The oft-maligned mission structure, where death or capture at any point of the process means restarting from the beginning, is partially redeemed by the cellphone: You still have to start from the beginning of the mission, but now you can skip from jail or the hospital immediately to the starting point. And to help placate those with restart fatigue, Rockstar threw in some different character dialogue for the second try (if you have to try for a third time, your accomplices will suggest that you all be quiet and just listen to the radio until you get there). It's still frustrating to fail a mission in its final stages due to random traffic interference or lucky cops, but that just appears to be the nature of the open-world beast.

Ugh... my biggest problem with the GTA series STILL hasn't been fixed. Why didn't they just go ahead with a checkpoint system? Especially since, after playing San Andreas, missions have become even longer and more convoluted. The worst part about SA being a 3-step mission, where parts 1 and 2 are easy but time consuming, and part 3 was a pain in the ass, so when you die you have to restart.

kenta

Has no PEINS
skip said:
the one thing I'll clarify is that my original preview text didn't specify a controller/system -- not sure why that got added in editing. we reviewed primarily on the 360, with spending some brief time with the PS3 version to compare. the rockstar guys told us they think that the PS3 looks slightly better, but it really was hard to tell.

And now a new post for fanboys to bookmark :/

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
skip said:

Sounds like Dark10X has a job. :lol

dancmc

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
i understand it references the 360 controller but how could you miss the PS3 in bold next to GTA4 and right below that it says also on 360.

I am not sure what you are saying here. Since Skip referenced the 360 controller in the preview, then he was playing the 360 version (unless that was an error). It seems as though 1up is pimping a 360 playthrough as a PS3 preveiw probably because they feel that GTA is a PS franchise and will appeal to more people that way.

I really don't care one way or another, but it seems a little disingenuous

lynux3

skip said:

Now you done started it. D:

Seriously... thread lock. These threads get more traffic than the official thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
skip said:
the rockstar guys told us they think that the PS3 looks slightly better, but it really was hard to tell.

Well just as long as there aren't any additional problems from the port, I'm happy. :D

skip said:

I'm suprised Rockstar would even say that.

h3ro

skip said:
yes. as much as I enjoyed San Andreas' sprawl, IV is my favorite.

Was holding the PS3 L2/R2 buttons down half way for the aiming mechanic troublesome during action sequences using cover, etc?

SuperCat

Banned
Rockstar have said the PS3 version is 25% faster and lighter than the 360 version which suffers from slowdown and heavyness. Down to the way the plastic is moulded, apparently.

Wizman23

Banned
skip said:

UGHHHHHHH

You just threw about 200 gallons of gas on the fire with your 1 little comment in there.

skip

BobTheFork said:
I'm suprised Rockstar would even say that.

I'm sure they weren't representative of the entire company/dev team, and seriously, as we were doing A/B comparisons on the same TV, we got both versions mixed up. it's not a big deal.

h3ro

DenogginizerOS said:
Sounds like Dark10X has a job. :lol

You know he is so itching for this game to come out...

the texchurr warz shall begin again! Dark10x and Dot50cal... FIGHT! :p

FightyF said:
What the hell do you mean by "Evander" it up?

Have you never been in an Evander thread? :lol

And if the same issues are in the PS3 version, I will reference that as well. So if anyone can offer up a preview of the PS3 version, please do. Why do people get so defensive? Otherwise, I ask all game reviewers/previewers to PLEASE reference any particular issue you notice in a game and how it compares on the other platforms.

skip said:

M3GATON!!!!!!!! :lol
don't ban me

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
skip - do you know if there's any sixaxis-y stuff in there, if it's any good, and if it's optional? I've been curious since I saw the boxart with the sixaxis icon, although maybe that's on all ps3 games regardless.

Also, anything about optional installs?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
SuperCat said:
Rockstar have said the PS3 version is 25% faster and lighter than the 360 version which suffers from slowdown and heavyness. Down to the way the plastic is moulded, apparently.

:lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom