• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida man faces felony after walking out of McDonalds without paying for soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Naples man charged with felony, accused of not paying for soda at McDonald's:

NAPLES — A Naples man faces a felony charge after he was accused of walking out of the McDonald’s in East Naples without paying for a cup of soda.

After filling a courtesy cup with soda Thursday at the McDonald’s soda fountain and then leaving the restaurant, Mark Abaire, 52, of the 500 block of 14th Street North, was arrested by Collier deputies and now faces a felony theft charge, a sheriff’s report shows.

A manager told sheriff’s deputies that Abaire entered the store and asked for a glass of water around 10 p.m. Although the employee told him the cup was for water, Abaire filled it with soda at a fountain machine and sat outside the restaurant, according to an arrest report.

During a conversation with the manager, Abaire declined to pay for the soda, valued at $1, refused to leave the premises, and cursed at the manager, the report stated.

While his charge is petty theft, because of previous petty theft convictions, the charge for drinking the unpaid-for soda was increased from a misdemeanor to a felony, the arrest report shows. In Florida, a third-degree felony can result in a sentence of up to 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Abaire faces additional misdemeanor counts of trespassing and disorderly intoxication.
On Saturday, he remained in the Collier County jail with bond set at $6,500.

ez3dJ.png

jakncoke

Banned
Some crazy shit, reminds me of the dude that got like 36 years for stealing something petty because prior convictions

XenoRaven

I was going to say how ridiculous this is, but then I saw how he acted and now I feel like he kind of had it coming.

What a prick of a manager to waste his time confronting someone about a courtesy cup of soda. That's really a priority? The cost of the soda syrup, especially considering the cost of the water and cup they're freely giving away, is so minuscule that a normal, well-adjusted adult working in food service isn't going to give a crap about it. He must be really popular with the employees.

I'm making no statements about the man's decision to take the soda in the first place or his subsequent actions, so here's a preemptive "fuck you" to anyone that would put words in my mouth.

Lol cheeky bastard. I hope they throw the book at him. Can't stand people who think even the most basic tenets of being a decent citizen don't apply to them. Who steals a coke from McDonalds for christsakes.

What a prick of a manager to waste his time confronting someone about a courtesy cup of soda. That's really a priority? The cost of the soda syrup, especially considering the cost of the water and cup they're freely giving away, is so minuscule that a normal, well-adjusted adult working in food service isn't going to give a crap about it. He must be really popular with the employees.

Pfft, I bet the employees loved seeing the arrest. Highlight of the week, if not month.

I'm making no statements about the man's decision to take the soda in the first place or his subsequent actions, so here's a preemptive "fuck you" to anyone that would put words in my mouth.

It seems you haven't worked fast food or know about food cost.

It seems you haven't worked fast food or know about food cost.

I have and I do know. I know that normal managers with normal priorities aren't going to get into a confrontation about a penny's worth of soda syrup getting poured into a courtesy cup. Since the guy is doing hard time I hope he made it worthwhile and took a bunch of the free ketchup, napkins, straws, salt, pepper, creamer, etc that were on offer too.

alphaNoid

Banned
I dont really see the problem. Dude stole soda, and when asked to pay for it refused to pay, refused to leave, caused a scene by yelling at the manager so the police were called. Then because of all of his prior criminal offenses and due to the circumstances of this incident he's facing longer jail time.

Thats life buddy, next time don't be a dumb shit.

Biff

I dont really see the problem. Dude stole soda, and when asked to pay for it refused to pay, refused to leave, caused a scene by yelling at the manager so the police were called. Then because of all of his prior criminal offenses and due to the circumstances of this incident he's facing longer jail time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It was 10PM at a McDonald's according to the article. He probably didn't have anything better to do because the place was probably empty.

Protip: don't do the old soda in a water cup trick if you can't lose yourself in a crowd.

x-Lundz-x

Bingo.

FyreWulff

By upgrading it to a felony, you've incurred more costs and time. It's like swatting a fly with a bunker buster bomb.

Waste of taxpayer money and time, this was.

This is the kind of guy I believe needs a good ol' fashioned ass whoopin. He's gotten too many slaps on the wrist.

Sounds like he needs actual rehabilitation and help instead of just being thrown in a room for a few days. See also:

Abaire faces additional misdemeanor counts of trespassing and disorderly intoxication.

That's not bad considering that he got charged for trespassing and disorderly intoxication.

As I read the article and got to the part where he wouldn't leave I was thinking about a trespassing misdemeanor. Of course his record compounds everything and his motive was "wait-what" worthy.

By upgrading it to a felony, you've incurred more costs and time. It's like swatting a fly with a bunker buster bomb.

Sounds like he needs actual rehabilitation and help instead of just being thrown in a room for a few days. See also:

I'd feel that way if it were an isolated incident. But this dude has a long rap sheet and has had chance after chance after chance after chance after chance...etc (count to 39). At some point he needs to realize his behavior isn't acceptable.

FyreWulff

I'd feel that way if it were an isolated incident. But this dude has a long rap sheet and has had chance after chance after chance after chance after chance...etc (count to 39). At some point he needs to realize his behavior isn't acceptable.

So clearly putting him in jail more, which is what we've already done here, isn't helping. Maybe, I don't know, put him through a program that will actually help him turn himself around?

alphaNoid

Banned

I don't have a problem with my tax dollars enforcing the law and keeping repeat criminals behind bars. Its not my problem this guy is an idiot and really I dont give a shit about rehabilitating him. You don't get to be a fuck up your whole life and somehow spin it back on society's fault for not training you to be a decent human.

He's behind bars because of his actions. His crimes get elevated to felonies because of his actions. He should be held accountable for his actions and society owes him nothing.

FyreWulff

He's behind bars because of his actions. His crimes get elevated to felonies because of his actions. He should be held accountable for his actions and society owes him nothing.

From the guy who claims his family took pay cuts to avoid actually paying their full taxes, people.

So instead of turning someone into a productive tax paying member of society, you'd rather just toss them into a hole and forget about them because it's JUSTICE(tm).

If society owes him nothing, then why are you spending more of society's money putting him in jail repeatedly when you'd spend less money actually treating him?

Low blow. I mean the dude had 39 priors. What is there to argue?

Maybe he can get some of them cleared off his record so he can be in a lower taxcrime bracket.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
"the charge for drinking the unpaid-for soda was increased from a misdemeanor to a felony"

What I want to know is, why? Is there some three strike rule with petty theft or something?

Ponn

Banned
Just to give you all a little heads up and more info that may help you form an opinion. I lived in Naples for over 20 years. I worked part time at a blockbuster in East Naples and managed a fast food restaurant in East naples as well for a couple years. East Naples is for lack of a better term the ghetto/crack neighborhood of Naples, unless things have changed drastically from my time there. There is a homeless shelter just down the road from that mcd's. We frequently saw sad sights of homeless people fighting each other outside blockbuster, walking around literally in shitstained clothing. I am not embellishing or making this up, I am dead serious. The restaurant I worked at got little traffic, like everything else in that area because all the major stores were closing and leaving, like a ghost town. We constantly had homeless people coming in that smelled so awful we would have to kick them out because of paying guests and all they ever wanted was free food, "glasses for water" which they would pull this and get soda instead or trying to get us to sign unemployment forms saying we denied giving them a job. I always felt bad at first and tried to help out and actually offered each and every one that came in a job if they would just clean up at the homeless shelter and take a shower and show up the next day but only one in the two years I was there ever took me up on that offer. I will guarantee you this was not an isolated incident for this store manager and this was a repeat problem he was just acting on.

krae_man

He's lucky he doesn't live in a Three strikes your out state/county. He could have got life in prison for stealing $1's worth of soda.

Alphahawk

So a manager is a prick, because he enforces the rules and discourages random strangers stealing shit?

Az

This is pretty much a shitty situation. You dont want to spend tax money on a turd like this, but you cannot just ignore his history and let it pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom