• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

Theorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPsxUyoe3E

In comparing PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, it makes sense to use the quality setting on both systems. Subtle as it may be, it's evident that Microsoft's machine gets even better draw distance settings overall on mountain-side geometry and small objects, over and above PS4 Pro's existing enhancements. It's a small improvement and nothing like the scale of the texture upgrades - but another advantage that shows Xbox One X veering close to PC's best presets.

On top of the quality and resolution modes shared with Sony's 'supercharged' console, Xbox One X adds another toggle that can be deployed on either preset: dynamic resolution. It's hard-set on PS4 Pro, but Xbox One X users can disable it if they want to take their chances with a less stable performance level. Assuming that toggle is disabled, what you get in quality mode is a native resolution of 3520x1980. That's 1980p fixed on Xbox One X - or very close to it - bringing a leap in image quality over the PS4 Pro's ballpark 2880x1620 output.

As thing stand, Shadow of War gives us a prime, early example of why Microsoft targeted Xbox One X's specific specs. The sense is that a higher pixel count alone isn't enough; more importantly, this console has the extra memory resources to give those pixels more to show off - better textures, and improved LODs, for example. Additional visual options such as the ability to toggle dynamic resolution scaling are also welcome. Those who want their true 4K can have it, while those looking for more consistent performance are also catered for.

It's the radically improved art that most obviously sets Xbox One X apart from PS4 Pro, but Monolith's approach to 4K textures likely won't apply to every game. At the start of the generation, 8GB of GDDR5 seemed almost overkill - a mammoth 16x increase over last-gen. That's still a hefty chunk of memory to work with and as such, the difference in other titles may not be so pronounced. However, based on the evidence presented by Shadow of War and Rise of the Tomb Raider in particular, it's possible that Xbox One X's 12GB provision is a good case of forward-thinking on Microsoft's part. We'll report back on final code just as soon as we can.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...f-war-xbox-one-x-one-version-to-rule-them-all

dreamfall

This is going to get dicey.

Texture work is improved but any word on 4K textures?

And that one segment where the framerate buckles to 20s is going to be crucified - perhaps fixed in the new code.

Looks like a substantial upgrade - curious to see how it stacks against the PC version.

If you remove the XBX from the scenario I would just say the PS4 version looks kinda terrible and way bellow what other games are doing on the hardware.

Ehker

When the framerate drops into the 20s for the X, shouldn't there be no screen tearing?

EDIT: Digital Foundry said:
they'll run with the full power of Scorpio unlocked, which in most cases should mean: more stable frame rates that hit their target more often; no screen tearing;
ah, most cases...

Those textures look much better on the One X. I decided to hold off on my X sadly as I have to replace my samsung set, but Ive got credit waiting for when I do lol. Can’t wait to see what the less drab games look like on the X.

ViciousDS

Banned
When the framerate drops into the 20s for the X, shouldn't there be no screen tearing?

ah, most cases...

its also a really old build.........gamescom build.....which means it was ready for gamescom so this build could have started as early back as E3

EvB

ah, most cases...

That was eurogamer , not DF.

Also, they were talking specifically about non-patched >1080p games

There's also an article: EuroGamer - Xbox One X Shadow of War shows profound improvements over PS4 Pro

In comparing PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, it makes sense to use the quality setting on both systems. Subtle as it may be, it's evident that Microsoft's machine gets even better draw distance settings overall on mountain-side geometry and small objects, over and above PS4 Pro's existing enhancements. It's a small improvement and nothing like the scale of the texture upgrades - but another advantage that shows Xbox One X veering close to PC's best presets.

On top of the quality and resolution modes shared with Sony's 'supercharged' console, Xbox One X adds another toggle that can be deployed on either preset: dynamic resolution. It's hard-set on PS4 Pro, but Xbox One X users can disable it if they want to take their chances with a less stable performance level. Assuming that toggle is disabled, what you get in quality mode is a native resolution of 3520x1980. That's 1980p fixed on Xbox One X - or very close to it - bringing a leap in image quality over the PS4 Pro's ballpark 2880x1620 output.

Colbert

Banned
There is an article out too. Maybe an update on the OT with some quotes?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...f-war-xbox-one-x-one-version-to-rule-them-all

As thing stand, Shadow of War gives us a prime, early example of why Microsoft targeted Xbox One X's specific specs. The sense is that a higher pixel count alone isn't enough; more importantly, this console has the extra memory resources to give those pixels more to show off - better textures, and improved LODs, for example. Additional visual options such as the ability to toggle dynamic resolution scaling are also welcome. Those who want their true 4K can have it, while those looking for more consistent performance are also catered for.

It's the radically improved art that most obviously sets Xbox One X apart from PS4 Pro, but Monolith's approach to 4K textures likely won't apply to every game. At the start of the generation, 8GB of GDDR5 seemed almost overkill - a mammoth 16x increase over last-gen. That's still a hefty chunk of memory to work with and as such, the difference in other titles may not be so pronounced. However, based on the evidence presented by Shadow of War and Rise of the Tomb Raider in particular, it's possible that Xbox One X's 12GB provision is a good case of forward-thinking on Microsoft's part. We'll report back on final code just as soon as we can.

Fredrik

DXISnT4.png
Holy... o_O
I want to see the original XB1 version here too, the difference is huge even compared to PS4 Pro.

Theorry

Who was downplaying the RAM? More RAM is always good to have. All I heard was people downplaying the CPU.

Think nobody is downplaying it. There is indeed more talk always about CPU and GPU. And Ram gets overlooked abit, Wich is essential for 4k textures.

Gitaroo

This. Many downplay or don't take into account the ram amount and bandwidth. Having 4gb more for games over the Pro is HUGE.

this is something that I think Sony shouldn't have cheap out on. Throwing in a cheap 1 gig ram and freeing up a mere 1gig of vram isn't going to cut it if they do intend to build a 4K machine. There are already games on PS4 that can't use ultra texture compare to pc in PS4 early days; that alone should already be a good indicator that 5gigs vram available to developers is not enough even for 1080p. No signs of Sony reducing the OS reserve neither.

Chobel

I have to say, that extra 4 GB of RAM is genius move from MS, because damn! The difference in textures is very clear.

Marcel

I have to say, that extra 4 GB of RAM is genius move from MS, because damn! The difference in textures is very clear.

I wouldn't call it "genius", just obvious. More available RAM is probably important to the display of 4K textures.

So it seems like the best way to play is ‘Quality’ mode with Dynamic Resolution not selected on XBOX?

I’d say quality is the best choice on both systems tbh.

They too, called me a genius when I upgraded my video card for higher resolution. :p

You’re right though, it was a good choice, but obvious given that they were pushing for 4K.

BAW

Banned
I have to say, comparisons like these make me think that 500 bucks for this machine is a damn good deal.

Carlius

Banned
good. bring on the competition baby. lets hope pro and x become standard and we can see bette rlooking games cause so far, its been a pretty boring gen in terms of graphics.

I really need to see a DF comparison video of CoD multiplayer to see if I need to switch my preoder or not. If it's this big of a difference I may have to shun my friends and go 1X on it cause Got Damn.

good. bring on the competition baby. lets hope pro and x become standard and we can see bette rlooking games cause so far, its been a pretty boring gen in terms of graphics.

Disagree. Starting with Ryse and Shadowfall, there have been a ton of stunners this gen (particularly on PS4), playing games on last gen machines really emphasizes the fact.

Top Bottom