• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

Tagg9

Putting video games over people's well-being is incredibly egoistic and narrow-minded.

That's almost the exact opposite of what the person said. Don't judge all of Naughty Dog over the actions of a single (or a few?) people. There is absolutely zero evidence that this type of conduct is widespread there.

Rmagnus

Banned
That's almost the exact opposite of what the person said. Don't judge all of Naughty Dog over the actions of a single (or a few?) people. There is absolutely zero evidence that this type of conduct is widespread there.

Maybe just maybe ND and it's staff should do more than rushing a statement out and take a good look at itself or maybe video games are not as important as the victim. If your first worry is about tlou2 maybe you should take a cold hard look at the mirror.

VeeP

If any of this a possibility no matter how remote, then yes, someone should think in this line. No one should assume absolute +ve or -ve by default in any accusation.

Not what I said, or implied. Did you not read the reply of the person I quoted?

The person I quoted made it seem like the Verge reporter was just looking for attention. Which is a very dumb way of looking at it. Should her statement mean someone is 100% guilty? No. But it means instead of asking where are the receipts or why it took this long for her to say anything, ND or Sony should contact her and ask for her side of the story. His makes 3 reports (that I know of) in the past 3 weeks of shady things happening at ND. Us gamers shouldn’t be blowing this off and immedtely assume these are just people looking for attention.

BeeDog

Sad. The IT businesses are overrun with creepy, socially awkward, demented, harassing fuckwads and it's extremely hard to weed these people out, especially if the company is based in a country where workplace regulations make it hard to implement corrective actions. Movements such as #metoo (here in Sweden, dunno if it has taken a foothold elsewhere) are excellent to highlight the nature of sexual harassment, but it's an entirely different matter to expect coorporations to take quick, corrective actions while working within the trappings of workplace laws.

KonradLaw

Sad. The IT businesses are overrun with creepy, socially awkward, demented, harassing fuckwads and it's extremely hard to weed these people out, especially if the company is based in a country where workplace regulations make it hard to implement corrective actions. Movements such as #metoo (here in Sweden, dunno if it has taken a foothold elsewhere) are excellent to highlight the nature of sexual harassment, but it's an entirely different matter to expect coorporations to take quick, corrective actions.

The reporter doesn't work for Naughty Dog though, so I'm not sure how workplace regulations would apply here. This is more like something their bosses should drill into their heads as unaaceptable behaviour than anything law would be able to handle.

BeeDog

The reporter doesn't work for Naughty Dog though, so I'm not sure how workplace regulations would apply here. This is more like something their bosses should drill into their heads as unaaceptable behaviour than anything law would be able to handle.

True, but any serious workplace have codes of conduct, and I doubt they're designed in a way to exclude applicability for external parties such as journalists that may interview employees. Either way, the point still stands, if you try to get rid of people that behave inappropriately under the guise of the company name, it's harder than it looks.

Foxxsoxx

A total shame if this is true, unfortunately I can't wait for people to boycott ND games though when literally every company ever has assholes like this.

Not saying it's okay in the slightest because it isn't, but with that mentality you should boycott everything. Don't torch a studio to the ground and generalize an entire workplace because of a very small minority of dickheads. Instead, hope these awful people are weeded out like they so clearly should be. I do hope this is checked into and I hope to God there is proof, I can't stand people like that.

Xater

I am not surprised. Any bigger company must have pieces of shit like that. Likely hood in the boys club of the games industry is probably even higher.

Well, it isn't like just can expect well-adjusted people in ND.
As it's known, the only people that stay there are peole fine with 80-100 hours/week.

IKizzLE

Not a good look.
I know she knows the name of the person.
Curious to see how she handles this. I'm guessing ND will reach out to get the name of the person. But after that, what then? He said, she said at that point. Yikes.

Please do not punish naughty dog's incredibly talented staff because of the actions of the sexual harassser. People are there working hard on TLOU II and it would be awful if people refused the buy the game because of one or two bad apples there. That just punishes all the good people there
ND condone harassment by having this person continue to be on their payrole, assuming he is.

Kangi

Please do not punish naughty dog's incredibly talented staff because of the actions of the sexual harassser. People are there working hard on TLOU II and it would be awful if people refused the buy the game because of one or two bad apples there. That just punishes all the good people there

Yes, it would be woeful if they didn't get quite as much money as they could because people react badly to a company having sexual harassers on their staff.

Kin5290

Hooooooly fuck. Do some of these people have no home training? You shouldn’t even think about uttering such a phrase in a professional context much less as a fucking joke.
We don’t know the context for this. Could be this was at an industry party, for example. That would be a much more casual setting than, say, an interview or request for comment.

It’s still a really shitty joke, and also a shining example of why Hollywood’s portrayal of female journalists invariably as sex objects who fuck the objects of their writing (as opposed to competent professionals who behave according to proper ethical standards) is so harmful. House of Cards was on my shitlist for the character of Zoe Barnes.

This also doesn’t say anything about Naughty Dog, besides that one of its 300 staff is a douchebag.

Rhiwion

Banned
Seeing people in here jumping in front of Naughty Dog (or hell, even the harasser) to defend them is so depressing. Is your next $60/20 hour fun ride that much more important than calling out toxic shit in this garbage industry? Really? Boo hoo, maybe TLOU2 sells 20k less because, yes keep in mind GAF and invested gamers are still only a fraction of the gaming space, just because we haaaad to talk about another journo who "just makes up stuff for the attention"

Like what the fuck

Food for thought, full-on boycott of a company's prodcuts to raise awareness wouldn't be even remotely necessary if executives/higher-ups didn't need a figurative smack on the head to feel motivated to do something about sexual harassment at work.

Cerium

Seeing people in here jumping in front of Naughty Dog (or hell, even the harasser) to defend them is so depressing. Is your next $60/20 hour fun ride that much more important than calling out toxic shit in this garbage industry?

You see this everywhere. Movies. Music. Any industry with a fanbase. There will always be a shocking number of people willing to excuse literally any behavior as long as they are entertained.

Real Hero

Who gives a shit about a game in this situation?

Naughty Dog hasn't even acknowledged anything yet. We don't know if the studio is actually involved, by covering it up.
We also don't know if its the same person as in the other allegations...
Its way too early to give ND a pass here.

Gradon

You see this everywhere. Movies. Music. Any industry with a fanbase. There will always be a shocking number of people willing to excuse literally any behavior as long as they are entertained.

I've even saw people literally excuse Ian Watkins because "when I met him he was really nice and I don't believe he'd do that".
So I'm really not surprised anyone will defend any corporation / entertainment that they like regardless of the situation.

Why are all the names of these people protected exactly?

If you say "Naughty Dog staff" or "One producer" you basically make everyone speculate who did it. Just say the name, they deserve it.

warheat

If you say "Naughty Dog staff" or "One producer" you basically make everyone speculate who did it. Just say the name, they deserve it.

I believe someone said people can get sued for mentioning names. Probably just US thing.

synce

You're saying Person X should accuse Person Y of something on twitter, and this makes Person Y deserve something without a hint of evidence or due process? These are interesting times we live in.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Seeing people in here jumping in front of Naughty Dog (or hell, even the harasser) to defend them is so depressing. Is your next $60/20 hour fun ride that much more important than calling out toxic shit in this garbage industry? Really? Boo hoo, maybe TLOU2 sells 20k less because, yes keep in mind GAF and invested gamers are still only a fraction of the gaming space, just because we haaaad to talk about another journo who "just makes up stuff for the attention"

Like what the fuck

Food for thought, full-on boycott of a company's prodcuts to raise awareness wouldn't be even remotely necessary if executives/higher-ups didn't need a figurative smack on the head to feel motivated to do something about sexual harassment at work.
ND can't do anything about this person until the journalist drops his name.

Nephtes

Absolutely disgusting on the part of the Naughty Dog dev in question.
Time for GAF to boycott Last of Us 2 till the situation is rectified it seems...

Protome

Do you know the full phrase from which the term "bad apples" originates?

How long can Sony really get away with not closing down this studio? The name is so tainted now.
Think this through again, and understand that you are implying the actions of few should dictate that 600+ employees with families, children and loved ones lose their job.

Those that hid, facilitate and are responsible for this should suffer the consequences, no doubt. What you’re suggesting helps nothing.

What about the person who was sexually harassed ?

Shaanyboi

Banned
How long can Sony really get away with not closing down this studio? The name is so tainted now.
They're not going to close Naughty Dog over this. Even if that was a realistic avenue for them to go down, as if ND wasn't their most beloved studio, this industry (and it's fans) constantly express far more concern for the fetishism of the products than the safety of victims in regards to sexual harassment. Look at how many tweets about this shit you see where people are more concerned about TLOU2 than the people actually affected by this kind of shit.

The industry and its communities don't care. Not with any degree that could be deemed meaningfully compassionate.

Protome

Lol. Now every one can post fake like this.
290289.jpg

Top Bottom