• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How does Claire A/Leon B make it more canon though?

Isn't that like saying Chris side on RE1 is more canon than Jill side? Coz the only difference I noticed is
Barry isn't there in the helicopter in Chris' side

Rean

Isn't that like saying Chris side on RE1 is more canon than Jill side? Coz the only difference I noticed is
One of the reasons its more canon is because it features moments like Sherry getting infected, which is acknowledged and an important plot point in RE6.

kuYuri

Claire A/Leon B is considered canon. Mostly due to Leon A/Claire B making the least amount of sense. I mean Ada falls off a bridge in Leon A only for her to show up not more then 15 minutes later in Claire B's scenario to pass her a rocket launcher.
There's also the weird oddity of Claire somehow completely missing the Aligator boss which Leon ends up fighting minutes later.

Also Darkside Chronicles went the Leon B route as well.

I also completely forgot, Sherry never gets infected with the G embryos and given an antidote in Leon A or Claire B, only in Claire A/Leon B. She still has her superpowers in RE6.

Guess that indeed answers the question.

EDIT: Beaten while researching.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
One of the reasons its more canon is because it features moments like Sherry getting infected, which is acknowledged and an important plot point in RE6.

Interesting, never went for that path though.

Man the RE characters are so old, even by today's game age standards. Can't believe majority of them are still single though even at their late 20s, 30s, 40s.

lol at spoiler tagging that.

RE Archives has a list of who did what in REmake. Remember someone posting it so copy and pasting the list here

- Jill and Barry investigate dining room at start, Jill encounters the zombie eating Kenneth and it follows her for Barry to shoot it. They then find Wesker missing in the main hall.
- Chris solves the puzzle of the emblem key with the spinning blade statue.
- Chris encounters zombie Forest on the balcony and kills him.
- Chris finds Richard being cared for by Rebecca and fetches the serum.
- Jill finds the shotgun and gets saved by Barry in the room with the lowering ceiling.
- Jill encounters Barry in the study area with fishtank
- Jill plays the piano and solves the puzzle.
- Jill fights Yawn in the first battle.
- Chris finds the book of curse, he solves the 4 masks puzzle and fights the Crimson Head from the coffin.
- Chris hears a radio message outside from Wesker about Lisa Trevor
- Chris encounters Lisa Trevor in the cabin.
- Jill hears Barry 'talking to himself' (secretly Wesker) in the dormitory.
- Jill is attacked by and kills Neptune
- Jill fights plant 42 after making V-Jolt, Barry saves her with the flamethrower.
- Chris finds an assault shotgun in the dormitory (I guess this means that is where Richard died...eaten by Neptune since that shotgun was his but the archives do not directly state his death method)
- Chris finds supplies from Wesker on returning the the mansion.
- Chris encounters the first Hunter
- Chris fights Yawn the second time.
- Chris hears Rebeccas scream and saves her from the Hunter.
- Jill sealed the floodgate and revealed the entrance to the caves.
- Jill finds Enrico and sees him get shot.
- Chris encounters Lisa Trevor in the caves (after the cave elevator raises strands you below), he runs and escapes through the cabin exit, he makes his way to the mansion and opens the doors under the main hall stairway.
- Chris meets Wesker and they both fight Lisa Trevor by her mothers grave.
- Jill finds out Wesker worked for Umbrella, transports the nitro.
- Jill confronts Wesker in the labratory where Barry ends up shooting Wesker but the Tyrant is still freed and kills Wesker.
- Jill frees Chris from the cell.
- Jill kills the Tyrant on the heliport.

Golnei

What do you mean about the P.N.03 bit? What music from RE4 comes from it? I'm very curious.

Themes: I'd go one step further and say song selection needs to be implemented. Mercs 3D was a step in the right direction in regards to music variety. While we couldn't pick and choose, every stage past the tutorials had different music, both old and new. I thought this was great.

I'm not opposed to character themes, though, if it means more tracks.

A couple of the RE4 Mercenaries themes were taken directly from PN03 - HUNK's is the Mission 8 theme, and Krauser uses the Mission 4 one, for example.

I don't particularly mind whether they go for stage or character themes either, as long as it means more than one piece of background music for the entire mode; but some form of music selection would probably be the better choice.

ULTROS!

Well, better safe and spoiler it rather than someone go ballistic saying "OMG I DIDNT KNOW THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE SPOILERED THAT". lol

That's why I even spoiler
Aerith's death

News Bot

Banned
Which parts of Leon A/Claire B are considered canonical at all, then?

The canon is a literal mixture of all four.

For example, Leon takes the G-Virus from Ada and throws it away. This is a combination of Leon B (Ada fakes her death) and Leon A (Leon throws away the virus) but you don't see the scene in the game.

Leon also encounters both Kendo and Marvin. Claire fights G-Birkin's first form. Claire A/Leon B is commonly viewed as the canon order simply because their most important events are canon.

RSB

Banned
First off, the series of Resident Evil was THE zombie stimulator in gaming for years, and any game with third person action against zombies would be inherently compared to Resident Evil in some way.

Regarding TLoU, missing their similarities feels like an inability to see the forest for the trees. The gameplay loop and minute to minute experience consists of walking through desolate hallways or alleys, fearful of what may pop out from around the corner, running away or killing it carefully to conserve sparse ammo.

Their respective tones are different because they're attempting to convey totally different messages. Gameplay elements differ with two main distinctions. TLoU emphasis humanity as an enemy, and RE is almost exclusively infected dead. I wouldn't trust Capcom to successfully pull that off with any success, so I'd love for them to stick with zombies. The other is the level design. One is a hellish cross country trek, with the other being a mostly localised to a central area. The changing locations found in TLoU don't invalidate the design of survival nor horror elements, so it's a non issue that doesn't dismiss the comparison of the two and their moment to moment experiences. The RE series doesn't even contain it's modern entries to one locale, anymore.

The intrinsic focus on survival and horror elements found in TLoS is simply more fitting for RE games than what have been found in that series for a decade. The difficulty in understanding this goes to show just how far RE has diverged from its core tenets.
What.

TLoU plays nothing like RE, no matter if you compare it to the classic style RE or the action style RE. There are superficial similarities, sure (like there being zombies, or using guns) but the actual gameplay is nowhere near similar.

I love TLoU, but I don't want RE to take inspiration from it. IMO, RE4 (for its perfect level design and pacing) and RE6 (for its awesome gameplay) are the two games Capcom should use for inspiration when designing RE7.

And of course, both REmake and RE2 are the games Capcom should use for inspiration when making the RE2 Remake (and hopefully more games beyond that, as I also love classic RE, and want to see more games in that style)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Where the fuck is Code Veronica on Steam?

I have my suspicion Capcom want to do a touch-up Remaster on Code Veronica. They're right now remaking all of RE2, they just finished touch-up versions of REmake, Zero, and for PC, Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil Code Veronica is a completely 3D game, they obviously still have the source material of Code Veronica still and have already successfully trandferred all of Code Veronica in MT Framework for the 360/PS3 release. I think the reason they haven't done PC is because out of every Resident Evil game out there, Code Veronica would be the easiest to touch-up on, so maybe they want to do something special with it to make some PC/PS4/Xbox One version of the game, maybe with updated visuals and some slight new content (maybe something more major)?

I feel if they just wanted to port the PS3/360 version of the game, they could of done it ages ago, but Code Veronica would probably be the easiest RE game to do touch-ups on, yet here they are doing touch-up remasters/a Remake (and Remakes if they also do RE3) of all of these other RE games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
lol at spoiler tagging that.

RE Archives has a list of who did what in REmake. Remember someone posting it so copy and pasting the list here

- Jill and Barry investigate dining room at start, Jill encounters the zombie eating Kenneth and it follows her for Barry to shoot it. They then find Wesker missing in the main hall.
- Chris solves the puzzle of the emblem key with the spinning blade statue.
- Chris encounters zombie Forest on the balcony and kills him.
- Chris finds Richard being cared for by Rebecca and fetches the serum.
- Jill finds the shotgun and gets saved by Barry in the room with the lowering ceiling.
- Jill encounters Barry in the study area with fishtank
- Jill plays the piano and solves the puzzle.
- Jill fights Yawn in the first battle.
- Chris finds the book of curse, he solves the 4 masks puzzle and fights the Crimson Head from the coffin.
- Chris hears a radio message outside from Wesker about Lisa Trevor
- Chris encounters Lisa Trevor in the cabin.
- Jill hears Barry 'talking to himself' (secretly Wesker) in the dormitory.
- Jill is attacked by and kills Neptune
- Jill fights plant 42 after making V-Jolt, Barry saves her with the flamethrower.
- Chris finds an assault shotgun in the dormitory (I guess this means that is where Richard died...eaten by Neptune since that shotgun was his but the archives do not directly state his death method)
- Chris finds supplies from Wesker on returning the the mansion.
- Chris encounters the first Hunter
- Chris fights Yawn the second time.
- Chris hears Rebeccas scream and saves her from the Hunter.
- Jill sealed the floodgate and revealed the entrance to the caves.
- Jill finds Enrico and sees him get shot.
- Chris encounters Lisa Trevor in the caves (after the cave elevator raises strands you below), he runs and escapes through the cabin exit, he makes his way to the mansion and opens the doors under the main hall stairway.
- Chris meets Wesker and they both fight Lisa Trevor by her mothers grave.
- Jill finds out Wesker worked for Umbrella, transports the nitro.
- Jill confronts Wesker in the labratory where Barry ends up shooting Wesker but the Tyrant is still freed and kills Wesker.
- Jill frees Chris from the cell.
- Jill kills the Tyrant on the heliport.
This is so frustrating. I get why it had to be done in order to canonize both routes, but I hate when it's impossible to play through the canon story. Mega Man X4 (incidentally also a Capcom game) does the same thing.

Still, thanks for this informative write-up.

Junahu

Claire A/Leon B is considered canon. Mostly due to Leon A/Claire B making the least amount of sense. I mean
Ada falls off a bridge in Leon A only for her to show up not more then 15 minutes later in Claire B's scenario to pass her a rocket launcher.
There's also the weird oddity of Claire somehow completely missing the Aligator boss which Leon ends up fighting minutes later.

Also Darkside Chronicles went the Leon B route as well.
In Leon B,
Ada completely bleeds out and goes limp (in gameplay, blood pooling on the floor below an enemy means they are dead). The only reason Leon would have to leave Ada alone at this point would be if he verified that she was dead. Even if she was somehow still alive enough to escape, she basically had to bet on Leon not doing something stupid like trying to drag her along to the evacuation platform.
Ada's death doesn't make much sense in either scenario, but the bridge death is more ambiguous because Leon doesn't physically confirm that she's dead, which opens it up to the possibility that she survived.

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of LeonA/ClaireB, mostly because it has better emotional pay-off.
Leon finds out Ada's a spy, the revelation that Ada survived is saved for the end of scenarioB, and Annette gets to talk to her daughter before dieing.

I know it's not the official canon, I just find it more satisfying this way.

Zambatoh

In Leon B,
Ada completely bleeds out and goes limp (in gameplay, blood pooling on the floor below an enemy means they are dead). The only reason Leon would have to leave Ada alone at this point would be if he verified that she was dead. Even if she was somehow still alive enough to escape, she basically had to bet on Leon not doing something stupid like trying to drag her along to the evacuation platform.
Ada's death doesn't make much sense in either scenario, but the bridge death is more ambiguous because Leon doesn't physically confirm that she's dead, which opens it up to the possibility that she survived.

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of LeonA/ClaireB, mostly because it has better emotional pay-off.
Leon finds out Ada's a spy, the revelation that Ada survived is saved for the end of scenarioB, and Annette gets to talk to her daughter before dieing.
I know it's not the official canon, I just find it more satisfying this way.

It was also brought up in Wesker's Report that he revived her, which would be pretty hard to do if she got pancaked after falling off the bridge. If Leon checked her pulse in the control room, she likely was dead for real. At least for a short while.

Side note: I'm not sure why we're still using Spoiler tags for an 18 year old game. I think we're way past the statute of limitations here.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Despite the obvious frustrations, I loved the murkiness of the "no single canon playthrough" approach in the early titles.

There was a lot of great discussion that rose out of that approach, and trying to piece it together had a satisfaction to it. Fans got deep into research--it's amazing what tiny details some noticed.

I've spent many enjoyable hours thinking and reading about this stuff... none of which would have been necessary had none of these issues (plus translation issues) been in play.

Reebot

First off, the series of Resident Evil was THE zombie stimulator in gaming for years, and any game with third person action against zombies would be inherently compared to Resident Evil in some way.

Regarding TLoU, missing their similarities feels like an inability to see the forest for the trees. The gameplay loop and minute to minute experience consists of walking through desolate hallways or alleys, fearful of what may pop out from around the corner, running away or killing it carefully to conserve sparse ammo.

Completely the opposite; its the minute to minute gameplay loops that most distinguish the games. Again, you've condensed the numerous systems and design choices into one broad sentence. Anything phrased like that looks similar - your description makes just about every survival horror game functionally the same. It fits Silent Hill as well as it fits Dead Space, but we wouldn't say the latter is a new version of the former.

So really, again, I encourage you to stop phrasing your analysis in such broad terms. I get the sentiment behind your posts, but you do a disservice to both titles when skirting over the fundamental differences.

Nudull

Banned
Despite the obvious frustrations, I loved the murkiness of the "no single canon playthrough" approach in the early titles.

There was a lot of great discussion that rose out of that approach, and trying to piece it together had a satisfaction to it. Fans got deep into research--it's amazing what tiny details some noticed.

I've spent many enjoyable hours thinking and reading about this stuff... none of which would have been necessary had none of these issues (plus translation issues) been in play.

That was pretty fun, too. Going through Resident Evil fansites back in the day was a magical time.

News Bot

Banned

The first game was written based on the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, which give the reader the ability to choose how a story develops and ends. It's impossible to have a canon under such a situation except for what is dictated in sequels. BIO2 and BIO3 each provide a different spin this style of storytelling with the Zapping System and Live Selection respectively. Gun Survivor uses the traditional approach of BIO1.

CODE:Veronica was the first title to provide a more traditional form of storytelling, linear and fixed.

Neiteio

Just tried the demo for RER HD (as in the first Revelations) on the PS3. I adored this game on the 3DS and I'm impressed how nice it looks in HD. The classic controls are so good — speed is analog and you can strafe by holding L1. I went ahead and ordered the game and the official complete works (art book — see video in first review). The game and the book were under $20 each.

Still replaying RE5, too. I'm swelling with love for this game! Seriously, revisiting it years later has deepened my appreciation for it immeasurably. Currently trying to s-rank every chapter on Amateur with infinite ammo so I can unlock the final two figures, Jill [Rare] and Wesker [Rare]. Gotta have BSAA Jill in my model viewer!

Speaking of which, in the separate Extra Figures, for the DLC, there are four blank spaces. I know I unlocked these back in the day, before my original save file was lost with my first PS3, but I can't recall what they are. I think two of them were Chris and Sheva, posed together in different costumes. But what were the other two figures?

Mr_Zombie

Just tried the demo for RER HD (as in the first Revelations) on the PS3. I adored this game on the 3DS and I'm impressed how nice it looks in HD. The classic controls are so good — speed is analog and you can strafe by holding L1. I went ahead and ordered the game and the official complete works (art book — see video in first review). The game and the book were under $20 each.

Yeah, for a HD port of a mobile game, the game looks really good.
And I would love to see the artbook. Last year I've bought RE6 artbook and it's great - it's really nice to see various unused designs and designers' notes about each character, monster and locations.

Still replaying RE5, too. I'm swelling with love for this game! Seriously, revisiting it years later has deepened my appreciation for it immeasurably. Currently trying to s-rank every chapter on Amateur with infinite ammo so I can unlock the final two figures, Jill [Rare] and Wesker [Rare]. Gotta have BSAA Jill in my model viewer!

Recently I reinstalled RE5 Gold and have been playing Mercenaries Reunion. I haven't played them when the Gold version was released on PC since I've been on the RE6 crack back then and in comparison RE5 was so slow and clumsy. But now I'm trying to at least get an A grade with each character on each stage and after a while, when you're get used to controls, the game still plays well.

Speaking of which, in the separate Extra Figures, for the DLC, there are four blank spaces. I know I unlocked these back in the day, before my original save file was lost with my first PS3, but I can't recall what they are. I think two of them were Chris and Sheva, posed together in different costumes. But what were the other two figures?

Those 4 last figures present pairs of characters: Chris and Jill (LiN version), Jill and Josh (DE), and 2 figures of Chris and Sheva in their new costumes. I think you get them by playing Mercenaries Reunion (at least the Chris and Sheva ones).

Finished Resident Evil 0 HD last night. Remember not loving it that much at the time, but still, what a disappointment! Anyways, is the factory section in the game supposed to be the same one found in Resident Evil 2?

Vibranium

Banned
Finished Resident Evil 0 HD last night. Remember not loving it that much at the time, but still, what a disappointment! Anyways, is the factory section in the game supposed to be the same one found in Resident Evil 2?

Yes, but it is considered an easter egg and non-canon. The director, Oda-san didn't think about how far away it actually is is.

Mr_Zombie

The (one of many) thing that irritated me about RE0 is how inconsistent the game can be regarding what your characters are able to do. Sometimes Billy can give Rebecca a boost so that she can reach higher placed items or places. Other times you are required to solve a dozen of puzzles so you can use a device and/or a crate to do the same. Half of the Treatment Plant could be skipped if only, instead of looking for a working battery to use a lift, Billy simply gave Rebecca a boost so that she could reach the card.

Yeah I agree that Resident Evil 0 takes nonsensical rules to a whole new level. I don't so much mind that the character can't climb objects other than stairs or crates as long as their is some kind of consistancy with the rules. Sometimes being able to give your partner a boost and sometimes not is BS.

The factory is nice in the sense of 'Ooooh look it's Resident Evil 2 with great graphics' but the fact that some of it is off limits accompanied by a 'you don't need to explore this area' message sucks.

Tbh, I consider the games after CV (Remake, 0, umbrella/ dark side chronicles etc) to be a reboot and a completely different series to 1,2,3 etc.

Mr_Zombie

The factory is nice in the sense of 'Ooooh look it's Resident Evil 2 with great graphics' but the fact that some of it is off limits accompanied by a 'you don't need to explore this area' message sucks.

Yeah, I laughed at that. That weird looking mansion with a torture dungeon, the chapel and the lab below it, the inactive treatment plant? Sure, no problem man. But I really don't need to explore this lab with Umbrella's logos plastered all over - no way man, it's unnecessarily.

At least they could change the message to something like "No time for that, I have to find Billy!" or something else that would make more sense.

Neff

Not being able to use the laser sight in Revelations HD really killed it for me.

3DS version for life.

Yeah, I laughed at that. That weird looking mansion with a torture dungeon, the chapel and the lab below it, the inactive treatment plant? Sure, no problem man. But I really don't need to explore this lab with Umbrella's logos plastered all over - no way man, it's unnecessarily.

At least they could change the message to something like "No time for that, I have to find Billy!" or something else that would make more sense.

Especially considering one of the rooms is nothing more than a save room!

News Bot

Banned
It's clearly canon and done for fanservice, just that the geography of it is fucked, like a lot of series is.

It's not canon. It's pure fanservice, but doesn't affect the plot at all. It was there to tease fans about a BIO2 remake and extend the game, since it was originally designed to be shorter. In the canon, the chapel connects directly to the treatment plant and there is no elevator. The 0 lab exists in a vacuum.

Tbh, I consider the games after CV (Remake, 0, umbrella/ dark side chronicles etc) to be a reboot and a completely different series to 1,2,3 etc.

You have no reason to.

News Bot

Banned
So it turns out the Heavenly Island manga is not actually a prequel to Revelations 2 as implied. It's set in 2014 as a prequel to Umbrella Corps while also answering leftover plot threads from BIO5 and REV2.

In particular, the setting is the island mentioned in the Lost In Nightmares file Spencer's Memoirs 2. Claire calls Chris for support, but he's busy on a mission in the U.S. and instead recommends Parker Luciani. Claire also discovers a photo of Alex Wesker and an unknown associate who brought B.O.W.'s back to the island.

This also explains why TerraSave now have GPS trackers in the manga but didn't in REV2. The kidnapping spurred them to include it on each member's phone.

The manga is great. Very surprising considering the initial setup is gratuitous sexuality, but it functions more as a way to throw the reader off. The suspense and mystery are great. It's a vast improvement over the yawnathon that was the Marhawa Desire manga. There's still a lot for the manga to answer but the story is one of the more compelling to come out of the series in over a decade.

There's a new pharmaceutical company Shényā Pharmaceutical based in China that is trying to recover Umbrella's research results on the island and resume a "project." By recording footage of a certain B.O.W. on the island massacring celebrity idols and broadcasting it globally, the company also hopes to renew interest in B.O.W.'s among dictators and terrorists. An agent of this company could be mistaken for HUNK at first glance, but the outfit they wear actually looks like the soldiers in Umbrella Corps.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of Hunk. I'm still surprised he hasn't gotten a solo game. Has been regulated to cameos and side games (not counting his playable role in RE2). He is really is the boba Fett of the universe though he has actually done stuff in the main games.

Wonder if he'll show up in RE7. I remember when speculation for Jake was that he might me Hunk lol.

News Bot

Banned
Oh, and I'm fairly sure the "project" Shényā is trying to resume is the immortality virus Alex started but never finished.

Interestingly, Shényā means something along the lines of "next god" in Chinese. A not-so-subtle hint that the company is attempting to surpass Spencer and Umbrella.

Ludens

Banned
So, what's the difference between Leon A/Claire B and Claire A/Leon B?
I mean, only the presence of Mister X pursuing you?
I don't want to do the game four times for minor changes.

News Bot

Banned
So, what's the difference between Leon A/Claire B and Claire A/Leon B?
I mean, only the presence of Mister X pursuing you?
I don't want to do the game four times for minor changes.

They're not very minor. There are a lot of different scenes in each scenario. It's fresh enough on each playthrough, even in terms of gameplay since you need to adjust how you play depending on the character. Just because you have an easy time with Leon A doesn't mean you'll find Claire A so easy.

The game was written and designed so that the player should play all four scenarios. It's worth it.

Seyavesh

There's a new pharmaceutical company Shényā Pharmaceutical based in China that is trying to recover Umbrella's research results on the island and resume a "project." By recording footage of a certain B.O.W. on the island massacring celebrity idols and broadcasting it globally, the company also hopes to renew interest in B.O.W.'s among dictators and terrorists. An agent of this company could be mistaken for HUNK at first glance, but the outfit they wear actually looks like the soldiers in Umbrella Corps.
no illuminati family stuff? thank god
the setting is getting back to my preference woo

so is paradise island after re6 then? as rev2 takes place at the same time as re6 iirc

I just got the remaster of REmake for PS4. No control mapout satisfies me. I can't even have L2 for aiming with R2 for shooting; nope, L1+R1 for some dumb fucking reason. I can have L2 for aiming alone, but not with standard movement, nope!

It's so dumb. What were they thinking.

Does RE0 have the same control types?

News Bot

Banned

so is paradise island after re6 then? as rev2 takes place at the same time as re6 iirc

REV2 takes place in 2011, around the same time as Damnation.

Heavenly Island takes place after REV2. The exact year is unknown so far but due to a character (potentially) referencing the events of BIO5 by saying "five years ago" and the appearance of an Umbrella Corps soldier, it is most likely 2014.

Jawmuncher

I just got the remaster of REmake for PS4. No control mapout satisfies me. I can't even have L2 for aiming with R2 for shooting; nope, L1+R1 for some dumb fucking reason. I can have L2 for aiming alone, but not with standard movement, nope!

It's so dumb. What were they thinking.

Does RE0 have the same control types?

RE0 switches even more. Most people go with Control Type D I think in REmake.
Worse comes to worse you can switch it even more now with the PS4 controller layout in settings.

Manu

Rev 2 is a year before RE6.

In the epilogue, which is one year after the ending,
Claire talks to Piers on the phone.

Top Bottom