• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 is an awesome game, but it has one huge flag... [Major spoilers]

...this goddamn final boss.

Seriously, what were they thinking? This boss has 13 life bars, and the last one is huge and brutal, which make pointless the 12 first bars to begin with as the last one should be enough for a pretty hard final boss who likes to charm your party to fully heal him.

We are talking about a boss who takes like an hour to kill (a fucking hour lol) and that if he doesn't kill you in his last bar, which is highly probable and it's what he did to me a few hours ago.

Seriously, fuck it, I guess I'll finish the game because I absolutely loved it until now, but I don't really know when, I don't really look forward to spend another hour to be killed because that fucker likes to spam almighty attacks on my party or make some of then cast diarahan on him.

For the record, I didn't have any problem with any boss in the whole game or the Strega guys before him.

in b4 git gut

So it has been an absurdly long time since I played P3, but aren't most of the bosses life bars really easy to burn through? I seem to recall he doesn't get challenging till you're already halfway done

I played it for the first time a few months ago.

I dunno, the last boss is rough, but I swear it was more like half and hour, not a full hour. Although I'd be pretty frustrated if I had to try it again I guess.

closer013

Grind away in Monad. Put on some music or a podcast and go to town.

The final boss is a joke if you are in the 90's for levels.

I beat him in one go; the key is each transformation has a weakness except the last form, it did take awhile, I beat it on a school night!!!

Level up if you're having problems, form those golden hands!!!

The battle took me an hour and during my first (out of 2) fight he killed me with an instant death spell when he was almost dead. Real pain in the ass.

Patryn

Depending on the version, just cast Armageddon (combine spell of Satan and Helel in FES, and Satan and Lucifer in the original).

Does 9999 damage every time. It also costs all your MP.

It should pretty much one-shot that final lifebar.

It's so wildly overpowered, it will literally kill all but 2 enemies in the game in a single hit, and the final boss is one of the two and only counts because of the 13 lifebars.

I don't remember having any problems with this boss, athough I played on P3P, so maybe there's a difference? (Besides the fact that you could control the party members).

Athough I think I did mess around in that non-tartarus dungeon a bit beforehand.

Keinning

Remember those useless "prevent charm" items you never gave a second glance? They exist for this moment

Other than that never had any problem. But i used to grind a bit before bosses so maybe i was overleveled, who knows.

I'm way more critical of P3 than most here, but Nyx isn't something i would call an issue. It's a desperate struggle, an almost impossible mission - it's supposed to be 'hard' and long.

Which party members are you using? And...
who likes to charm your party to fully heal him
nervous-gif.gif

Which party members are you using? And...

nervous-gif.gif

Junpei, Yukari and Akihiko. It's the party I used throughout most of the game, they and my MC are all around lvl 70. I guess I'll grind before trying again, but I had 0 problems with all the other bosses in the game, which is why it just seems to me like a stupidly huge difficulty spike out of the blue.

Also I'm playing the portable version.

Crayolan

I think it's a fittingly difficult fight, considering how impossible they hype it up to be, and I think it's awesome how it has so many phases and forces you to constantly adjust to different situations, but it goes on reaaaaaally long. iirc each of the preliminary phases has 1500 health and the final phase has 6000, if they cut that down to like 1000/5000, or even 1200/5500 it'd be much more bearable.

Also Night Queen being able to cause charm is bullshit.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't remember having any problems with this boss, athough I played on P3P, so maybe there's a difference? (Besides the fact that you could control the party members).

Athough I think I did mess around in that non-tartarus dungeon a bit beforehand.

Same boat as you, played the PSP version and the final boss was very easy even for JRPG standard.

No problem with it, beat reaper and went to secret dungeon before hand too

Producer

its an hour long battle, and in the final phase, if you have mitsuru you gotta use Rush/Tactics so she wont heal him. Lol. Good times

Zafir

I'll never forget Yukari being charmed and then healing it back up to full.

I exited out and instantly slapped anti-charm accessories on her and Mitsuru after that bullshit, lol.

Patryn

Was I the only person who nuked that final form with Armageddon, laughing the whole way? Kind of surprised more people aren't suggesting it.

Keinning

Makes sense. I played the PSP version and don't remember struggling with the last boss at all.

well, P3 was never a hard game to begin with (not The Journey at least. The Answer is a different beast). The biggest challenge of P3 is the stupid companion AI so obviously P3P would be more manageable

Nyx being a longer fight just gives more time for it to exploit the dumb AI. But its still manageable enough if you have decent levels or just a strong enough persona for MC and proper items for your party (don't bring mitsuru or yukari without any form of charm resistance, for the love of god).

The final boss was the very thing that cemented Persona 3 as one of my all-time favorite games. It's such a momentous climax to the game, and that music is god damn fire.

I did fall victim to the Charm trick the first time around, but that only made it all the more satisfying when I was victorious in round two.

Lynx_7

It was one of the most memorable final bosses I've ever fought in a JRPG, though I guess I'd be pretty pissed too if he charmed me like he seems to have done to so many other people.

Keinning

Nah, not at all, P4 and P5 bosses are lame pushovers.

try beating those bosses without direct control and you'll change your tune
izanami will keep using instakill attack on your dumb companions and you'll be forced to watch and revive their stupid asses every time

Stefarno

I did a lot of grinding so I had my characters to level 99 by that point
which IIRC gave you 999 HP and SP too

Zekes!

P3 might be my fondest memory of the Persona games, but I actually never finished it. Stopped playing after Aigis leaves for a bit really late game. I ignored all my party members besides her, Junpei and Yukari and trying to replace her in battle sucked

BasilZero

Played the portable version and didn't have any hard time fighting the final boss

Music and dialogue were perfect imo

Though I think the biggest flaw in p3 og on ps2 is the fact you can't control your party members unless there was a option that I missed.....

Keinning

P3 might be my fondest memory of the Persona games, but I actually never finished it. Stopped playing after Aigis leaves for a bit really late game. I ignored all my party members besides her, Junpei and Yukari and trying to replace her in battle sucked

that's what you deserve for not using aki as well

Hyunkel6

Yup. One of my most memorable boss battles only for its length. I don't remember its name or even what it looks like. I do remember it taking an hour with an awesome soundtrack though.

Dez_

Yeah... I had one of those moments. Last health bar, tiniest sliver of health left of the boss. The next attack would surely have been the one to finish the game. Final boss does that attack that causes multiple status effects, main character gets charmed and Mediarahan's the final boss. 2 hours of work down the drain. I remember it was pretty late at night and I had to work the next day. I was too tired to even be upset at what I witnessed. I just turned my system off and didn't touch the game for some time.

I did eventually finish the game. Went back to grind a few more levels and change my party up. I never had the stats to defend against charm, but I thankfully managed to avoid that happening a second time, though.

Crayolan

Makes sense. I played the PSP version and don't remember struggling with the last boss at all.

Same boat as you, played the PSP version and the final boss was very easy even for JRPG standard.

No problem with it, beat reaper and went to secret dungeon before hand too

You can guard in the PSP version right? No guard in FES, which means the boss can Mind Charge then use Night Queen and Almighty Attack in the same turn and wipe your whole team if you don't have attack down and defense up, which is harder to guarantee when you don't have full control over your teammates and can't stack buff duration.

Also if the MC and healer get charmed at the same time that's pretty much guaranteed death.

Was I the only person who nuked that final form with Armageddon, laughing the whole way? Kind of surprised more people aren't suggesting it.

Probably because you'd have to grind an insane amount to get high enough level to fuse those personas and because the fight would be really boring if you cheesed it like that.

Patryn

Probably because you'd have to grind an insane amount to get high enough level to fuse those personas and because the fight would be really boring if you cheesed it like that.

Once Monad opens up, the grind is ridiculously easy. Took me like an hour to go from the low 80s to level 99.

PillarEN

I had one of the best boss fights with him ever. Came down to the last blow with me being poisoned and having to take a chance. Go for the kill strike and pray or just keep on healing till I was screwed. The best outcome happened and you have no idea how pumped I was.

Yukari ended up getting charmed when he was almost dead and she healed him to full.

I ended up continuing the fight still and taking him down from full.

Despite that it was a top 10 final boss fight imo.

Love those Arcana quotes too.

JBwB

Beat Persona 3 earlier this year and I fondly remember that fight. It was close at times but I fortunately beat him in one try.

Yeah it was definitely a really long & intense hour long boss fight but damn was it satisfying to defeat him.

Khrno

try beating those bosses without direct control and you'll change your tune
izanami will keep using instakill attack on your dumb companions and you'll be forced to watch and revive their stupid asses every time

It's like saying that FFXIII's final boss is hard because it keeps killing Lightning with doom or whatever. Just annoying but not really a challenge.

Keinning

It's like saying that FFXIII's final boss is hard because it keeps killing Lightning with doom or whatever. Just annoying but not really a challenge.

but that's pretty much the only reason Nyx is "hard" for P3. It's a cakewalk during P3P

Xeteh

Played through P3FES my first time through the game... the final boss really held no real threat, I was overleveled, but it took like 3x the time it should have because of party AI. All the Mitsuru Marin Karin jokes are real in that game, she'd dispel poison while being at 5% HP instead of heal, not sure why the cleanse had such an enormous priority... it was so frustrating.

One of the worst games I have ever played in my whole life.

And I played with save states. If not for that it would have been an even worse experience.

Probably what death feels like.

Top Bottom