• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we backpedaling to "lol Wii U has no games RAM" again? Wasn't it fairly recently that we got a strong hint at the system having greater than 1GB definitively with 2GB being a strong possibility thanks to IdeaMan's note on the system having something like 512MB portioned off for OS stuff?
then people remembered this is nintendo we're talking about and came back to reality

Penguin

Have I missed some revelation with the Wal-mart ad? I've seen a lot of sources pretty much touting 350 as the official price point.

Even an ever so kind analyst declaring the console DoA at that price point.

sfried

It doesn't matter how powerful the console is when you have a resistive touch screen.

Can't imagine "smooth" browsing with anything other than capacitive.
Actually its the oppsite for me. So far I had only iffy experiences with capacitive touch screens and their iffy gesture recognition. I would be browsing something and the next thing you know I either go back a page or click on a link I didn't intend to.

For me the "extra effort" required to navigate around with a resistive touch screen is a valid reason enough.

I'm lazy though ;p
For me resistive would be better for web browsing, because it's a lot more accurate to tap a link with your fingernail or a stylus than a big ole finger. It took me a long time to stop trying to click things on the iPhone with my fingernail after years of doing so on DS. Even on iPad, I sometimes have to zoom in just to hit the link I want accurately.

Why are we backpedaling to "lol Wii U has no games RAM" again? Wasn't it fairly recently that we got a strong hint at the system having greater than 1GB definitively with 2GB being a strong possibility thanks to IdeaMan's note on the system having something like 512MB portioned off for OS stuff?

You guys are so wishy washy. :p

No one is wishy washy. Just don't want to get to hyped up. 2GB is apparently what we are going to get but even that is wishful thinking. Of course it's not going to be 512MB. But I don't think it's going to be enough to support the system for the next 5-6 years especially after the other two come out. I dont' trust nintendo's forward thinking ability.

Edit: But reports claim that nintendo has been asking third parties what they want so who knows. It needs to be June 5 basically.

wsippel

Banned
Apple is BSD (and Mach) with a fruit slapped on it, not Linux. To my knowledge, there is no Linux in any of Apple's product lines whatsoever, probably largely due to the license to which it is bound.
They still use a few GPL licensed parts in OSX, but nothing from Linux per se, and not in the kernel.

Actually its the oppsite for me. So far I had only iffy experiences with capacitive touch screens and their iffy gesture recognition. I would be browsing something and the next thing you know I either go back a page or click on a link I didn't intend to.

Never use gestures and I always try to disable them if possible.
Was never an issue actually.

I wasn't blaming anyone or shunning any of the GUI innovations over the last decade. I'm actually very happy about how easy and intuitive it's become.

I was just waxing nostalgic is all. :p

Some of the innovations in graphical interfaces of late have been stunning (Fitts's corners triggering actions becoming a somwhat global standard is really awesome), but sometimes they get applied in substandard ways (only some GUIs let you actually tell which actions for those Fitts's corners actually benefit you -- I personally like having Exposé and show_all_desktops available as options, but so far there's only one GUI in the world that actually allows me to customise that far, to my knowledge).

In my experience so far, it would be nice if resistive screens were a little more sensitive (which is apparently the case in higher quality resistive tech), and HOLYCRAPFUCK I would like it if capacitive screens were a lot less sensitive and somehow more precise, given the amount of times holding the side of my phone triggers a touch and how astonishingly common it is in comparison (on the level of 10-20x as frequent) to type on the OSK.

edit: Yeah, clicking links is a massive issue on capacitive screens, as well. I'd rather do without the whole concept of "screen zooms in because it's not sure what you just tried to click on".

They still use a few GPL licensed parts in OSX, but nothing from Linux per se, and not in the kernel.

I know they used KHTML, which was the parent of WebKit.

For me the "extra effort" required to navigate around with a resistive touch screen is a valid reason enough.

I'm lazy though ;p

Edit: Of course I'm just talking from experience with only a couple of resistive devices , namely DSPhat, DSLite, 3DS and Samsung mobile phones.
Don't know if newer and/or more expensive devices are doing something more with their resistive screens.

The way i describe is possibly as fast and intuitive as with Multitouch control. Do you see any problem with my suggested "Browser control option". Keep in mind that this was done with a minute of brainstorming. If someone puts more effort into it, it could work even better.

No one is wishy washy. Just don't want to get to hyped up. 2GB is apparently what we are going to get but even that is wishful thinking. Of course it's not going to be 512MB. But I don't think it's going to be enough to support the system for the next 5-6 years especially after the other two come out. I dont' trust nintendo's forward thinking ability.

Edit: But reports claim that nintendo has been asking third parties what they want so who knows. It needs to be June 5 basically.

They will release every Nintendo published game as DD alongside with the normal retail version. I really never even thought they would be *THAT* forwardthinking when it comes to the eshop on the WiiU

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Yeah it's rather funny, because the RAM is actually the component with the most details given by other people & me about the system.

Here's, i think, the latest post of mine in regard to that:

For the memory, it won't be 1GB. (Edit of today: i'll add that it's 99% sure). If it's the case, there must have been a drastic change of plans by Nintendo. Studios already developed their games with an available pool of memory for their projects of AT LEAST 1GB. And then you have to consider the reserved space for the system software layer/background/features/whatever. Even if the latter is optimized, the system will have AT THE MINIMUM, the AT LEAST 1GB used by companies to build their games + the amount occupied by the "OS". And as i already explained in Thread 2, Nintendo TOLD a few months ago third-parties that they are aiming for a bigger quantity than 1GB + let's say 0,2GB OS, for the retail system.

+ all the messages that i've written about the subject before + lherre's ones + bg + others

Now, for the last part of my quoted post, it's an aim told by Nintendo to third-parties, maybe it won't be the final amount on the console.

The way i describe is possibly as fast and intuitive as with Multitouch control. Do you see any problem with my suggested "Browser control option". Keep in mind that this was done with a minute of brainstorming. If someone puts more effort into it, it could work even better.

The way you describe it makes complete sense (and I guess they'll use a very similar config) but again the point has to do with the technology's "limitations".

In my experience so far, it would be nice if resistive screens were a little more sensitive (which is apparently the case in higher quality resistive tech)...

This. I also wished resistive screens where a bit more sensitive.

z0m3le

Banned
I wasn't blaming anyone or shunning any of the GUI innovations over the last decade. I'm actually very happy about how easy and intuitive it's become.

I was just waxing nostalgic is all. :p
Yeah, lol I knew that, just made me think about old people complaining about walking to school in blizzards for miles while being attacked by bears, I agree with what you said though, learning to code would have been so much easier if my first computer wasn't win98se, lol though life in general would probably of been easier if that wasn't the case... But it played starcraft and tribes

Linkhero1

Hey after that 2008 conference I wouldn't be surprised. I was so hyped for what ninty had to say but that thing ruined E3 for me. Completely deflated it.

I think they learned their lesson after that terrible mess. Honestly I was so close to calling it quits with them that year. The E3s after were pretty decent and had some good content. I'm just hoping they truly deliver with the Wii U, but in the back of my head I'm telling myself they probably won't meet my expectations.

I think people are speculating on how much RAM it will have dedicated to actual gaming and not their OS. You're right though. It's been hinted that overall RAM might be 2 GB with 1.5 GB dedicated to gaming.

HylianTom

Banned
Looking back over past E3 conference announcements, I think this is the first time I've found where Nintendo gives a time range ("0900 to 1000") instead of just a start time ("0900").

I'm taking their hour-long range with a grain of salt. For all we know, it might run 70 or 65 or 75 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Effect

Call of Duty Black Ops II getting its own "Wii" board subsection

A little hint toward a port of the Treyarch title on the current and/or the next Nintendo home system ? :p

Have no doubt that there is a Wii U version given Treyarch's history with the Wii. The only thing I'm worried about is there being a lack of pointer controls in the Wii U version. I also hope Nintendo's security is good. The last thing I want to deal with again is another hacked CoD game on a Nintendo system.

Linkhero1

Looking back over past E3 conference announcements, I think this is the first time I've found where Nintendo gives a time range ("0900 to 1000") instead of just a start time ("0900").

I'm taking their hour-long range with a grain of salt. For all we know, it might run 70 or 65 or 75 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I sure hope they go over unless they just plan on showing trailer after trailer for the time allotted for the Wii U. I just don't want to hear any more sales talk from them. I also hope they demo games on stage that showcase what the Wii U's capable of and not just some random third party port.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Have no doubt that there is a Wii U version given Treyarch's history with the Wii. The only thing I'm worried about is there being a lock of pointer controls in the Wii U version.

I'm sure it will be fun with all these drones additional view & personal screens-on-arms & other future equipments handled/displayed by the DRC.

Just a pity that the background, more precisely the way it's depicted, is the boring "bad-ass-hollywood-action-movie" with the classic war veteran voice presenting the thing. All these studios are trying too much to be realistic, even for the anticipated future where however they have more room for imagination & original vision than a historic setting.

HylianTom

Banned
I sure hope they go over unless they just plan on showing trailer after trailer for the time allotted for the Wii U. I just don't want to hear any more sales talk from them. I also hope they demo games on stage that showcase what the Wii U's capable of and not just some random third party port.

Oh.. they'll show trailers, indeed! A trailer for Wii Fit U, another four-minute megatrailer for U Chase Mii, and then a three-minute trailer for Wii U Battlechess (with Nintendo characters). That'll be ten minutes of their Wii U time right there! Easy-peasy!

Linkhero1

Oh.. they'll show trailers, indeed! A trailer for Wii Fit U, another four-minute megatrailer for U Chase Mii, and then a three-minute trailer for Wii U Battlechess (with Nintendo characters). That'll be ten minutes of their Wii U time right there! Easy-peasy!

Haha don't torture me Nintendo! I don't think I can handle Wii Fit U, but the other two I don't mind seeing in some form if they come bundled with the console :p

If Retro's game is there and Eternal Darkness 2 is revealed I'm going to need GAF to call 911 for me. Will you guys be willing to do that for me?

I'm sure it will be fun with all these drones additional view & personal screens-on-arms & other future equipments handled/displayed by the DRC.

Just a pity that the background, the setting, more precisely the way it's depicted, is the boring "bad-ass-hollywood-action-movie" with the classic war-veteran-voice presenting the thing. All these studios are trying too much to be realistic, even for the anticipated future where however you have more room for imagination.
most people expected less and were very pleasantly surprised by the turn of events for this COD, yet ideaman remains unimpressed. French people must have serious standards. Also COD stopped trying to be realistic ages ago :p

Glass Joe

The way you describe it makes complete sense (and I guess they'll use a very similar config) but again the point has to do with the technology's "limitations".

Multi-touch is absolutely essential for iOS games. But on a console where there's d-pads, sticks, and buttons? I'd rather have the trade off of a more accurate touch screen.

Looking at the Wii U's drawing app (where they sketched Link) and then comparing that, to say, with Draw Something, is night and day. With Draw Something on even with the smallest brush size, I've not seen or created anything more impressive than a pre-schooler could do.

I'm sure there's other examples but I remember being sad when my stylus didn't work with my iPhone. When browsing, I'm CONSTANTLY clicking the wrong links on sites (that might be improved with the iPad's larger screen, I don't know).

But I'm trying to envision a scenario where you'd need to touch 2 parts of the screen at the exact time and other than stuff like Rock Band and Tap Tap, 99% of the time the iPad is creating a virtual +pad and buttons, which Wii U certainly won't have to worry about. And stuff like music games are pretty much a limited compromise compared to their console big brothers.

I dont think anyone would run into technology limitations with the control method i described. But lets wait and see what Nintendo does with the browser.

BD1

Banned
Have no doubt that there is a Wii U version given Treyarch's history with the Wii. The only thing I'm worried about is there being a lack of pointer controls in the Wii U version. I also hope Nintendo's security is good. The last thing I want to deal with again is another hacked CoD game on a Nintendo system.

I have to imagine if there is a Wii game with pointer controls, and if the PS3 version supports Move (does it?) than the Wii U version will include Wii Remote support.

Maybe Nintendo will work out a deal for a sku that bundles the Wii U Zapper with CoD?

z0m3le

Banned
So, from day one, you predicted $349 and weaker than current gen.

Sounds like from day 1 you were desperate for this to fail. :/
Lol, well you can't be surprised there, specialguy is either the best named user on any forum or the biggest anti-Nintendo poster there is

Effect

Even if the presentation is only an hour I think what might be more important is how large their demo area is. Also how much effort they put into their E3 website this year. Do to having those I don't think they need to show everything or go into a lot detail in the presentation. I thought their E3 website was pretty good last year. It's still up for those interested in checking it ou. e3.nintendo.com

Also consider a lot of Wii U games, hopefully, should also be showing up in presentations for other companies.

I have to imagine if there is a Wii game with pointer controls, and if the PS3 version supports Move (does it?) than the Wii U version will include Wii Remote support.

Maybe Nintendo will work out a deal for a sku that bundles the Wii U Zapper with CoD?

Move isn't supported on the PS3 versions of CoD. Not Black Ops or Modern Warfare 3. Neither does Battlefield 3 or Medal of Honor. Sony's first party FPS (Resistance, Killzone, MAG) do support it. MAG even had it patched it after it was released. This is why I don't think it's a certainty unless the Wii remote is in the box and looked as a standard control scheme alongside the new controller. Though maybe that won't matter as they made sure to add classic controller support to the Wii versions and that didn't come with the system.

Multi-touch is absolutely essential for iOS games. But on a console where there's d-pads, sticks, and buttons? I'd rather have the trade off of a more accurate touch screen.

Looking at the Wii U's drawing app (where they sketched Link) and then comparing that, to say, with Draw Something, is night and day. With Draw Something on even with the smallest brush size, I've not seen or created anything more impressive than a pre-schooler could do.

I'm sure there's other examples but I remember being sad when my stylus didn't work with my iPhone. When browsing, I'm CONSTANTLY clicking the wrong links on sites (that might be improved with the iPad's larger screen, I don't know).

But I'm trying to envision a scenario where you'd need to touch 2 parts of the screen at the exact time and other than stuff like Rock Band and Tap Tap, 99% of the time the iPad is creating a virtual +pad and buttons, which Wii U certainly won't have to worry about. And stuff like music games are pretty much a limited compromise compared to their console big brothers.

I don't care about multi-touch to be honest.

Again, the biggest issue I have with resistive screens is their sensitivity.

I'm sure it won't be an issue in games but I'm keeping my reservations for web browsing. (or similar "panning" movement used elsewhere)

That's just me though. It all comes down to preference.

But lets wait and see what Nintendo does with the browser.

Agreed. I'm sure they'll do their magic again.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
most people expected less and were very pleasantly surprised by the turn of events for this COD, yet ideaman remains unimpressed. French people must have serious standards. Also COD stopped trying to be realistic ages ago :p

It's a mix from what is see, some are surprised and consider this a "departure" from other COD, other blame the design, the "same" engine, the overall same feeling, etc.

And for realistic, you know what i mean, it's not a 2025 alternate reality future with exotic background, it's a current setting with the evolutions (in architecture, building looks, weaponry, the growing place of automated vehicles, etc.) that anybody can expect. But yeah i have high standards :p And i was more talking about the classic bad-ass theme + war veteran voice presentation, these kind of teasers are getting really old for me, if i worked at Treyarch for a long period to create this game, i would have wanted my efforts to be introduced in a less already-seen-240 times way. But don't get me wrong i'll try it, i love drones & "future warfare" :)

Let's wait for E3 to have news about an hypothetic Wii U version.

Penguin

Well there was that ever so kind (i'm really bitter towards them it seems) analyst who claimed that Activision wasn't on-board supporting the Wii U.
And some people still believe that, and it can still be the case, we shall see.

Linkhero1

Let's be serious for a second. Does anyone here actually buy CoD games for single player? I don't think I have ever beaten the single player campaign. I've always dived into multiplayer and spent 100% of my time with CoD playing multiplayer.

Well there was that ever so kind (i'm really bitter towards them it seems) analyst who claimed that Activision wasn't on-board supporting the Wii U.
And some people still believe that, and it can still be the case, we shall see.

Kind crazy to see that people believe this still. If they supported the Wii, they'll support the Wii U. They are probably under NDA like everyone else so they can't announce anything for the Wii U.

It's a mix from what is see, some are surprised and consider this a "departure" from other COD, other blame the design, the "same" engine, the overall same feeling, etc.

And for realistic, you know what i mean, it's not a 2025 alternate reality future with exotic background, it's a current setting with the evolutions (in architecture, building looks, weaponry, the growing place of automated vehicles, etc.) that anybody can expect. But yeah i have high standards :p And i was more talking about the classic bad-ass theme + war veteran voice presentation, these kind of teasers are getting really old for me, if i worked at Treyarch for a long period to create this game, i would have wanted my efforts to be introduced in a less already-seen-240 times way. But don't get me wrong i'll try it, i love drones & "future warfare" :)

Let's wait for E3 to have news about an hypothetic Wii U version.
it's all good, everyone is allowed to think what they like. I personality think the last 2 infinity ward COD games have been generic garbage with horrible game design in general but I've always liked treyarch, it's only now they seem to be getting some respect.

Hopefully Nintendo made sure that if they were going to get any 3rd party game this was the one, would be a shame if not, because then I'd have to get it for PS3 rather than wiiU.

Effect

Let's be serious for a second. Does anyone here actually buy CoD games for single player? I don't think I have ever beaten the single player campaign. I've always dived into multiplayer and spent 100% of my time with CoD playing multiplayer.

Kind crazy to see that people believe this still. If they supported the Wii, they'll support the Wii U. They are probably under NDA like everyone else so they can't announce anything for the Wii U.

A lot of people do. Similar to how a LOT if not the bulk of people that play RTS, Starcraft 1 and 2 for example, mainly play the single campaigns and not bother with the online. Blizzard I believe even said this was why they focus so much on their single player campaigns.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wouldnt say that i buy it for the single player campaign, but every CoD game that i've bought, i've always started with the single player campaign. I try to beat the game before i go online.

Penguin

You'd be surprised at what people WANT to believe so they believe it, even in the face of conventional wisdom.

So I can see why some would believe Activision would choose not to support the Wii U... especially since they haven't announced anything yet... >.<

Linkhero1

A lot of people do. Similar to how a LOT if not the bulk of people that play RTS, Starcraft 1 and 2 for example, mainly play the single campaigns and not bother with the online. Blizzard I believe even said this was why they focus so much on their single player campaigns.

Not that I find it odd or anything, but I rarely hear people talking about single player campaign. I just remember people discussing the controversial missions or whatever in the CoD games. I should have rephrased what I said because of course there's a group that always play the campaign. I should have said who buys CoD for it's single player campaign.

I wouldnt say that i buy it for the single player campaign, but every CoD game that i've bought, i've always started with the single player campaign. I try to beat the game before i go online.

I bet you cave and go online pretty quick :p

You'd be surprised at what people WANT to believe so they believe it, even in the face of conventional wisdom.

So I can see why some would believe Activision would choose not to support the Wii U... especially since they haven't announced anything yet... >.<

Haha not at all. I enter those Wii U is teh Weakz! threads and I'm not surprised that people actually believe it. I just find it crazy.

Yeah but if we start going down that path then we have to believe that even Capcom and Square aren't supporting the system. And that's crazy talk.

BurntPork

Banned
Even if the presentation is only an hour I think what might be more important is how large their demo area is. Also how much effort they put into their E3 website this year. Do to having those I don't think they need to show everything or go into a lot detail in the presentation. I thought their E3 website was pretty good last year. It's still up for those interested in checking it ou. e3.nintendo.com

Also consider a lot of Wii U games, hopefully, should also be showing up in presentations for other companies.

Move isn't supported on the PS3 versions of CoD. Not Black Ops or Modern Warfare 3. Neither does Battlefield 3 or Medal of Honor. Sony's first party FPS (Resistance, Killzone, MAG) do support it. MAG even had it patched it after it was released. This is why I don't think it's a certainty unless the Wii remote is in the box and looked as a standard control scheme alongside the new controller. Though maybe that won't matter as they made sure to add classic controller support to the Wii versions and that didn't come with the system.
Chances are that the NDA doesn't end until the start of Nintendo's conference.

This video is still the benchmark for what I want out of a touchscreen

A) many-point multitouch (like many capacitive touch screens)
B) pressure sensitivity (like most resistive touch screens)
C) per-pixel accuracy (like many resistive touch screens)
D) will work if you're wearing gloves :p
E) requires pressure but very little pressure (like nothing today, *weep*)

This video is still the benchmark for what I want out of a touchscreen

A) many-point multitouch (like many capacitive touch screens)
B) pressure sensitivity (like most resistive touch screens)
C) per-pixel accuracy (like many resistive touch screens)
D) will work if you're wearing gloves :p
E) requires pressure but very little pressure (like nothing today, *weep*)

Niiiiice \m/

Linkhero1

Do we know if it will be possible to install retail games since it will be possible to download it?

They most likely won't allow it. I believe it's due to the fact that people will just install and return the game after they install a copy on their HDD or SD card. Then again, they can just do what MS is doing and make it so that you must have the disc in the tray, but that defeats the purpose of installing a game if you're too lazy to change discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom