• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF3 DS JPN/US thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jinn, the Fire also sounds really great in sample 2. They did some nice things to the music.

edit: And a classic arrangement of the chocobo theme with some really cool acoustic guitar. :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Smiles and Cries said:
so wait this never came out in the US?

o_O

cool
Yeah, as of now it's the only one we never got in the US. And its a pretty good game, if not unbalanced and completely hindered by the technology it was developed for. If they balance it and keep the challenge going strong, this could be the best FF since 5.

Pastry

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I want a firm answer on how long we will have to wait! The Japanese date has been set for a while, but the American one was September 12...and now is kinda floating...

Thanks, Scarlet, for making the thread! I was hoping somebody would.

I have faith it'll still be coming out on Sept. 12th :D The only official thing we've heard about the release date was from the E3 conference when they announced Sept. 12th and someone said S-E's site is saying September 2006, right?

Believe!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
If it's anything like the original FF3, it's not that long AND it's pretty linear.

Good to hear. I hate non linearity in a handheld, because I play for such short bursts, that I just get lost if it's too non linear.

john tv

Got the Famicom version primed and ready on my PSP here. I think I'll give myself a little refresher before the DS version launches. Can't wait!

Red Scarlet

Don't forget the money trick! I'm sure they're going to fix that in the DS one.

Edited the first post with new stuff people provided. Thanks guys.

November seems like a dropped-the-ball date, with FF12 coming out on Halloween in NA..

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I really hope is not november. I find it weird that SE site still has ff3 for a September release, no day given yet tho.

the OST samples are soooo nice, I can't wait for this game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
john tv said:
Got the Famicom version primed and ready on my PSP here. I think I'll give myself a little refresher before the DS version launches. Can't wait!
Ooh, that'd be a fun thing to do prior to the game hitting. I have the cart but no NES/Fami though. :(

Jpn version for me, I just know that boxart won't make it to NA unscathed and I'm quite sure this won't be released in Europe anytime soon. >_>

Pastry

Banned
Error2k4 said:
I really hope is not november. I find it weird that SE site still has ff3 for a September release, no day given yet tho.

the OST samples are soooo nice, I can't wait for this game.

The OST's usually get released on itunes, right? I'v seen several of the OST's and the piano collections up and I'd love to be able to buy this one without having to import.

Sallokin

Soundtrack samples really take me back. I'm really interested in hearing all the newly added tracks.

Here's where I heard about the date change. It was on slimeknights.com

Final Fantasy III Pushed Back?

Posted on Jul 07, 2006 01:07pm EDT
Source: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=180155

According to Gamestop/EBGames the release for Final Fantasy III has been pushed back from September 19 to October 03. While unconfirmed, the release date move will undoubtedly make both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest fans a bit less tense, since Rocket Slime has been rumored to be released on September 19. Concerns of skewed advertising by those believing Squenix will concentrate on its FF title much more than its DQ title may be partially solved.

Dragon Quest fans: Rejoice!
Final Fantasy fans: Stop your complaining, and go watch your Advent Children.

Not sure how reliable that info is though considering they cite Gamestop as a reference.

Kroole

Sallokin said:
Soundtrack samples really take me back. I'm really interested in hearing all the newly added tracks.

Here's where I heard about the date change. It was on slimeknights.com

Not sure how reliable that info is though considering they cite Gamestop as a reference.

It seems logical though.

Pastry

Banned
Kroole said:
It seems logical though.

I would think they would push the Dragon Quest game back a bit because FFIII is the bigger title. But a two weekish delay isn't too bad assuming that is true (I'm still waiting on official word though).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah that leaves room for Rocket Slimes and also it isn't too close to ff12.

Kroole

Pastry said:
I would think they would push the Dragon Quest game back a bit because FFIII is the bigger title. But a two weekish delay isn't too bad assuming that is true (I'm still waiting on official word though).

Dunno about that. A FF game released a couple of week before might push the relative unknown Rocket Slime into the shadows.

Sallokin

For an intents and purposes **** Rocket Slime (it's a fun game though). It's a little less enchanting than an FF game we've never played in the U.S. :lol

Sixty-one tracks on a single CD, though? I guess looping is out of the question. >_<

The samples are lovely. I'm actually liking this arrangement of "Opening Theme/Final Fantasy" over Sakimoto's FFXII's. Sekito's arrangements for FF Origins were quite decent, so I have faith that he and Kawamori and Fukui will do a good job here.

Red Scarlet

Oh, it's the same guy that did FF1 and 2 on the PS1 that's redoing 3's soundtrack? Neat. I really, really liked 1 and 2's music on the PS1.

Jason

some soundtrack details (hopefully not posted yet)

[NINTENDO-DS Version] FINAL FANTASY III Original Soundtrack [CD+DVD]

Original soundtrack to the NINTENDO-DS game "FINAL FANTASY III." Includes DS version of the original Famicon tracks and new tracks b y Nobuo Uematsu. Also includes a track with rock arranged, and a track with techno arrangement by the mysterious group muZik. Comes with a DVD with the opening movie (featuring 5.channel surround sound) of the new games added for the NINTENDIO-DS game.

* Catalog No.: SQEX-10076
* Format: CD
* Number of discs (or other units): 2
* Release Date: 2006/09/20
* Price: 2381yen (US$ 20.81/ 2500yen Tax incl.)
* Item weight: 200 g

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/(blue)/detailview.html?KEY=SQEX-10076

thefro

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, it's the same guy that did FF1 and 2 on the PS1 that's redoing 3's soundtrack? Neat. I really, really liked 1 and 2's music on the PS1.

Sekito's not doing all of it. Uematsu did the orchestral stuff that's for the CG video and is "supervising the arrangements". Keiji Kawamori who has programmed synths for FF8, 9, X, X-2, and 12 is also arranging (and I'm betting he did the synth programming for the DS version, which is why the samples rock). And Fukui arranged the Black Mages bonus track.

All four of those folks are in the Black Mages, and between the four of them, they composed every note of the Advent Children soundtrack (except that 80s song in the credits).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sallokin said:
Posted in another thread, but still a cool commercial nonetheless. I can't remember what the name of that damn song is though, any help? It's totally slipped my mind!
Eternal Wind. The one in the trailer is the first song on the new OST.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My copy of Dead Rising needs to ****ing get here already, so I can knock through it before FF3 hits...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Red Scarlet said:
<3 <3 <3~

jko

45571020060812_2356s03_1_big.JPG

thefro

Here's the class info from the scans from the site that gets censored out if I try to link it (from xcomp)

Freelancer
What you start off as. You can yield any weapon and also make use of White/Black Magic although the overall effectiveness is very low.

Warrior
With a high amount of HP and defence, the Warrior has a skill to boost his/her attack temporary at the expense of lower defence. The Warrior can’t use any magic.

Thief
As some of you may have guessed, the Thief can “Steal” items from the enemy and has the ability to “Flee” allowing you to have a higher chance of escaping from battles.

Evoker
Summoning random creatures to fight, each of them are either of the light or dark type.

Ranger
Shooting from a distance, the Ranger can shoot multiple shots in one smooth movement. “Barrage” allows you to hit an enemy a random number of times in one shot.

Martial Artist
A professional in close range combat who has a higher attack power than the Monk. After using his “Save” ability, his normal attacks inflict more damage than usual. The “Save” ability can be stacked but, overusing it will cause damage to yourself.

Dark Knight
Wears dark armour and makes use of dark, negative energy. Just like the Knight, the Dark Knight has high attack power and his strength really shows when equipped with a “Dark Sword”. Using “Darkness” he can attack multiple enemies at the expense of his own HP.

Devout
A job that can make use of the strongest White Magic spells. With a large amount of MP, the Devout can cast high level White Magic many times. Cute kitty ears, no?

Monk
Skilled in close combat arts, the Monk can attack at high speed with bare hands. He can’t make use of magic and the equipment he can make use of is limited. With “Counter”, the Monk can counterattack the enemy when hit by physical attacks.

White Mage
Making use of healing type magic mainly, the White Mage can heal party members without wasting items. The White Mage has low attack power and low defence. Just like the Black Mage, will take a lot of damage when hit.

Black Mage
Skilled in Black Magic, the Black Mage can cast spells that strike all enemies at once. He has low HP and has the lowest defence out of all the jobs.

Red Mage
With skills that are in between the Black Mage and White Mage, the Red Mage has average attack power and can yield several types of weapons. The Red Mage can’t make use of high level White/Black Magic spells.

Bard
Fights enemies by playing a harp. Making use of the “Sing” ability, the Bard has many songs that provide various effects. He acts as a support for the party and can also attack the enemy. The effects of the songs change depending on the harp equipped.

Scholar
Holding a book in one hand, the Scholar is skilled highly in analysis. With his “Check” ability, he can find various stats about the enemy and their weak points. Apart from being able to make use of White Magic, being able to use items much more effectively than any other jobs is his strong point.

Summoner
Having more MP than the Evoker, the Summoner can summons many creatures that are either of the dark or light side. Each of them have different powerful attacks that can attack all enemies.

Sage
The Sage can use all summons, and Black/White magic. Although she has a fairly high amount of MP, she is still inferior to the Magus and Devout.

Knight
With a higher defence than the Warrior, the Knight can protect party members using the “Guard” ability, taking any damage inflicted upon his comrades. Can also make use of White Magic to heal himself and members.

Dragoon
A spear user who has an advantage against airborne enemies. With his “Jump” ability, he can jump high into the air and after one turn, he fall down charging into his enemy. During the turn where he jumps into the air, he is invulnerable.

Geomancer
Attacks the enemy by ringing a bell. Using the ability “Terrain”, he can be supported by the battleground he fights on and can make use of various random, nature based attacks.

Viking
A power fighter who can yield axes and hammers. Using “Provoke”, he can make enemies turn their attacks on him. Amongst the warrior type jobs, he develops the slowest.

Magus
As opposed to the Devout, the Magus is a master of Black Magic. He has a large amount of MP allowing him to make use of high level Black Magic spells many times. The Magus can also equip weapons of the hammer, dagger type variety.

Ninja
Out of all the jobs, the Ninja has the fastest attacks and has the highest average skill. When equipped with items such as Shurikens, the Ninja can make use of the “Throw” ability to inflict damage. This however, means he/she will lose his/her equipped weapon!

Red Scarlet said:
The only new one that I can see in that list is 'Freelancer'..which I guess replaced Onion Knight?

Freelancer = Onion Knight
Magus = Black Wizard
Devout = White Wizard
Ranger = Archer/Hunter
Knight = Paladin
Martial Artist = Master
Evoker = Caller

Only different thing seems to be that Fighter has been scuttled in favor of Dark Knight (the old pattern was Fighter->Knight(Warrior)->Paladin(Knight)

Pastry

Banned
September release am confirmed (sort of, I think)!

I heard a couple of people at the P-A forums mention that FFIII was supposedly going to be reviewed in the October issue of EGM. I ran around trying to remember where I left the September issue and sure enough in the back of it they say that they will be reviewING FFIII for in the October Issue.

And when does the October issue available on stands? September 12th. Coincidence? I think not.

Red Scarlet

Crazymoogle said:
Freelancer = Onion Knight
Magus = Black Wizard
Devout = White Wizard
Ranger = Archer/Hunter
Knight = Paladin
Martial Artist = Master
Evoker = Caller

Only different thing seems to be that Fighter has been scuttled in favor of Dark Knight (the old pattern was Fighter->Knight(Warrior)->Paladin(Knight)

'Dark Knight' is probably what you are calling Paladin.

Here's what I think they are calling the jobs in that above post, with a picture of the original jobs (put in the same position as the screen cap from the Famicom game below):

ff3job.png

Freelancer (replacing Onion Knight) / Warrior
Monk / White Mage
Black Mage / Red Mage
Ranger / Knight
Thief / Scholar
Geomancer / Dragoon
Viking / Martial Artist
Dark Knight / Summoner
Bard / Evoker
Devout / Magus
Sage / Ninja

I don't see any new jobs up there aside from Onion Knight being replaced by 'Freelancer'.

The "Paladin" is likely the Makenshi/'Dark Knight'. "Paladin" was never in the original FF3. 4 was the first game with that class. Warrior was Warrior, and Knight was Knight.

Aft Dread Pressure said:
I've never played FF III. How is the job system different from FF V ?
The big thing is there's no using of a skill from one job with another job. To switch jobs there is a cost in CP (gained like EXP in battle), though the longer you've been in a certain job the CP cost to switch to it later, or to switch to other related jobs, decreases.

polg

I'm getting so hyped about this game... and I'm not a huge FF fan.
I've only played I,II and IV on GBA :)

Cheebs

polg said:
I'm getting so hyped about this game... and I'm not a huge FF fan.
I've only played I,II and IV on GBA :)
Well imo I-VI(with an exception for the amazing IX) are the only decent ones to play so you are fine. ;)

Top Bottom