• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

ibwsDVGzRPfiNn.png

$11.99 on Steam

$9.59 on GMG after Coupon

Original Thread, covers the registry leaks and speculation that lead up to the release.

UPDATE

Game does not have the always-online DRM, Securom, or Digital River install limit that the Square-Enix store version had.

There is a one time login to a Square-Enix account when you first run the game, then you are free to run offline.

No Securom confirmed by Xelios via the registry.

Only installed Microsoft VC redist packages or whatever.

Upon launching:

hmo7iFd.png

MODS

Anxious Heart (No longer required after patch)

Anxious Heart replaces all the music with more high quality tracks. LegacyZero uploaded the mod to an easy Google Documents download.

Tifa's Bootleg

Tifa's Bootleg patches the game so it is functionally the same as the 1998 release, you lose things like Achievements and Cloud Saves, but gain the ability to massively mod the game. Download comes with player models, properly upscaled backgrounds, new menus, etc.

Enthus

It finally happened, and I'm already installing. It's just a shame I started another playthrough a few days ago and am about 13 hours in.

subtleglitch

Neo Member
Ugh I'm so torn...I already own a physical copy and a digital copy and can play this on my vita...but being able to play this on PC with achievements is just really nice :)

Can anyone confirm this doesn't have any SE DRM nonsense? If it just requires steam i may be throwing my money at them...again...

Grief.exe

I was worried about that launcher.

I figured that most old games use a launcher so it wouldn't be an issue. Can you run the game offline?

QOymstS.png

It looks like the game is not available for Japan, is it normal?

Steam is only a client in which you download your games.

Once you have the games downloaded you can set the client to offline and play from an offline state indefinitely.

You still can't install the game on other computers on offline mode.
It's probably the tamest DRM around but still not completely DRM free.

Spazznid

Installed and played for 11 minutes.

Didn't know there was a login, guess I had an account already associated with my steam or something....

Tame.

Also, looks, meh, at 4K. Gonna need some mods, and an entire sountrack of this.

Grief.exe

Does anyone know where to get the files for the PSX music?

I'm not the best source on this matter, but I found this modding site earlier

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?P...c4f5b2e3dddd0&topic=12503.msg173805#msg173805

It looks like the game is not available for Japan, is it normal?

has no Japanese language option.

BSeSGC6.png

You still can't install the game on other computers on offline mode.
It's probably the tamest DRM around but still not completely DRM free.

This is true, you have to work around that issue, you have to come out of offline mode to install games.
But wouldn't you have to be online to download a game anyways?

Hellix

I like how it says "Achievements synchronized with server" on the top left, then the Steam notification on the top right.

So is this the same crummy version of the game released on the Squenix store?

Well, the original FF7PC port was quite crummy to begin with.

Pooya

so looks like exactly same as their own store version then with login and everything, not steamworks.

This game apparently deletes your save file when you uninstall the game, as some sort of "convenient" incentive to use Square's cloud service. A login for a single player game...
Uninstalling the game will delete any save files stored locally on your PC.
Why do Valve let companies get away with this shit?

has no Japanese language option.

But I want to just play it in English, is this a common occurrence?

This is true, you have to work around that issue, you have to come out of offline mode to install games.
But wouldn't you have to be online to download a game anyways?

Yes but only for the first install. Also Offline mode is not perpetual for everyone, wasn't there a thread recently where it was explained that it lasted a variable amount of time depending on the user background or something like that?

It's not a problem for me anyways, with a price like that even with a small limitation it's still more convenient than tracking down a physical copy for $70.

EDIT: Wait, it's still online only? PASS!!!

Grief.exe

Yes but only for the first install. Also Offline mode is not perpetual for everyone, wasn't there a thread recently where it was explained that it lasted a variable amount of time depending on the user background or something like that?

It's not a problem for me anyways, with a price like that even with a small limitation it's still more convenient than tracking down a physical copy for $70.

Steam still has issues if it was closed improperly.

Most people will never run into the problem, but certain systems will shut down incorrectly and cause Steam to overwrite its saved files.

Backup certain files and you won't have this issue. Its mainly due to the client being so old.

Are you saying that because the Steam store doesn't list it or because you have checked the registry after install of it?

Registry doesn't seem to be showing it. I could be mistaken though.

Groof

Might pick it up on a sale, always online is a bummer.
Would rather have the PSN version though, but that being 50Hz makes this more compelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom