• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

i bet this is what happens.

-people explore planet only to find space jockeys are hanging out there
-both are trying to collect the xenomorph eggs/tech from the ruins
-information about whats going on gets back to Weyland-Yutani
-space jockeys and humans have a scuffle
-humans die but a space jockey ship with the aliens eggs manages to take off
-space jockey gets heart burn and crashes into LV-426
-end movie

The Space Jockey ship in Alien was there for a really long time though, the space jockey with the heart burn was fossilized or something so I assumed it took place waaaay before

.la1n

FUck yourself

Weyland Yutani sounds retarded

tumblr_lxd8efklvX1r59kau.gif

You got burned. It's as if you know nothing of the Alien franchise.

Why do this to yourself??

So many people willingly ruin movies or tv-shows for themselves, I'll never understand it.. and those people make life dangerous for those of us that don't want to be spoiled.
So glad I avoided the Breaking Bad S4 thread for example.

Knowing the plot or story doesn't ruin anything for me. Seems like this is true for a lot of people:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/08/spoilers-dont-spoil-anything/

I read the leaked Prometheus script that's floating around. Still not sure if it's legit, but if so it just made me want to see it more since the story seemed interesting and fit well within the established universe. Now I don't have to be concerned that it'll be a huge mess and whether my money will be wasted on it. I won't spend the next three months having to avoid spoilers. I'm still really pumped to see the movie and the visuals that go along with the story.

Knowing the plot or story doesn't ruin anything for me. Seems like this is true for a lot of people:

I read the leaked Prometheus script that's floating around. Still not sure if it's legit, but if so it just made me want to see it more since the story seemed interesting and fit well within the established universe. Now I don't have to be concerned that it'll be a huge mess and whether my money will be wasted on it. I won't spend the next three months having to avoid spoilers. I'm still really pumped to see the movie and the visuals that go along with the story.

I haven't read the script but I've seen some craziness related to it. And been told the plot because I begged for it. But now it hurts because I can't see it in theaters for MONTHS!

I tease my one friend a lot because he keeps reading spoilers and I smile because they are so off sometimes. I think a lot of them are fake thanks to random people who worked on production.

pringles

Imagine watching Alien knowing about the chestburster and that the unlikely Sigourney Weaver would be the only survivor. Still great, sure, but definitely not as tense.

Prometheus is one of those rare films where there isn't a big name actor that you know will be around 'til the end, or a threat we know everything about, or a novel it's based on. It's not a sequel, it's not a remake. I have no idea what to expect. Even if you still enjoy the movie, because of visuals/music/acting, you're obviously not gonna have half as good an experience watching it as someone who goes in blind. The reasoning you give for reading the script seem so weird. If you can't live your life normally without worrying if the movie will be bad (which there is zero reason to think) you've got issues.

But to each their own. Just don't hang around here giving 'subtle' hints to the direction of the story like some of you over-curious dudes tend to do.

3N16MA

Banned
I have been staying away from this thread even though this is one of most anticipated films. Is there spoilers in here? Stopped posting in the TDKR thread due to spoilers.

FoneBone

I read the leaked Prometheus script that's floating around. Still not sure if it's legit, but if so it just made me want to see it more since the story seemed interesting and fit well within the established universe.
Are you talking about the txt file containing spelling and grammar errors on par with a mentally handicapped 8th-grader? Yeah, that one's totally legit.

RagnarokX

Imagine watching Alien knowing about the chestburster and that the unlikely Sigourney Weaver would be the only survivor. Still great, sure, but definitely not as tense.

Prometheus is one of those rare films where there isn't a big name actor that you know will be around 'til the end, or a threat we know everything about, or a novel it's based on. It's not a sequel, it's not a remake. I have no idea what to expect. Even if you still enjoy the movie, because of visuals/music/acting, you're obviously not gonna have half as good an experience watching it as someone who goes in blind. The reasoning you give for reading the script seem so weird. If you can't live your life normally without worrying if the movie will be bad (which there is zero reason to think) you've got issues.

But to each their own. Just don't hang around here giving 'subtle' hints to the direction of the story like some of you over-curious dudes tend to do.
Big name isn't always a gaurantee of survival. Samuel L Jackson surprisingly got killed off really early in Deep Blue Sea, then again there's the trope of black people dying first... but then LL Cool J was one of the two survivors...

Muffdraul

For the record Weyland Yutani goes all the way back to the original Alien, though it was without a D. It shows up on the Nostromo monitors in a couple of scenes.

2mVPX.jpg

Muffdraul

God damn it Memphis Reigns

Good catch. There was probably only room for 6 characters though.

Alien on blu-ray is freaking astounding. For 30 years, I never had any idea that "Mother" was actual something like MU-TH-R; never noticed that stenciled on the panel near her terminal until last year.

BigDes

See that's one thing that I didn't like about Aliens - "just another bug hunt" - like meeting extra-terrestrials was an everyday occurrence. Even after multiple re-watches, I still get the impression that in Alien the crew thinks they're the first to ever encounter signs of biologically advanced non-terrestrial life. They don't ever state that, of course, but their reactions and behaviors seem to suggest it to me.

The 'bug hunt' term is fairly common military parlance for search and rescue I think, so Hudson could just be talking about the missing colonists

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A question for fellow Alien fans. Where do you stand on the "Kane's son", "Kane saw it" dialogue debate. Some claim that Ash says the latter, others that he says the former, which lends credence to the theory that the Alien inherits more than just the physical aspects of its host. The Alien takes on Kane's subconscious memories which leads the Alien into 'exploring' Lambert.

Muffdraul

Edmond Dantès;36032290 said:
A question for fellow Alien fans. Where do you stand on the "Kane's son", "Kane saw it" dialogue debate. Some claim that Ash says the latter, others that he says the former, which lends credence to the theory that the Alien inherits more than just the physical aspects of its host. The Alien takes on Kane's subconscious memories which leads the Alien into 'exploring' Lambert.

It's always been "Kane's son" to my ears, not sure I was aware there was a debate. I know from what I've read in old interviews and maybe The Book of Alien that the folks behind the scenes were really into the overall idea of the alien literally raping Kane, impregnating him, and Kane giving birth.

EDIT: I just checked the script, no form of that line appears.

nomis

Well it started when someone told me to kill myself when I misremembered the name of the company in the franchise. Huge overreaction if you ask me.

I think he was reacting to the idea that you were saying Aliens was equivalent to AvP and shouldn't be considered canon.

Tedesco!

I know there is no unifying body for canon in the Alien universe, unlike Star Wars or Star Trek. That being said, I do not personally consider the AvP series canon. It was a bullshit money grab by the studios, set in modern times as it would have been more expensive to set the film in the future. the inclusion of WY in AvP is weak thread of connection to the original series. It was quite obvious that the people who wrote those movies knew nothing about the subject manner.

big_z

I know there is no unifying body for canon in the Alien universe, unlike Star Wars or Star Trek. That being said, I do not personally consider the AvP series canon. It was a bullshit money grab by the studios, set in modern times as it would have been more expensive to set the film in the future. the inclusion of WY in AvP is weak thread of connection to the original series. It was quite obvious that the people who wrote those movies knew nothing about the subject manner.

i don't count Alien: Resurrection as part of the series either. to me that movie felt more like a avp movie than a proper alien movie.

Zeliard

No, they're mash-up started in the comics. The Alien films are distinct from them, despite the posturing of the AvP ones as being prequels.

I know they started with comics (and then a rather brilliant video game - two of them, actually), but as far as the lore, they're worthless. Crossovers are designed to appeal to fanboys of those franchises. They are rarely meaningful in any way.

GhaleonEB

I know they started with comics (and then a rather brilliant video game - two of them, actually), but as far as the lore, they're worthless. Crossovers are designed to appeal to fanboys of those franchises. They are rarely meaningful in any way.

I meant to quote Zzoram, not you (fixed now). We agree. Two posters starting with Z was too much for my early morning brain to process.

Suairyu

Banned
Except the first reference in film was with Predator 2, so you could argue that the established relationship began way before those horrid AvP movies.
Except the Predator films aren't a part of the Alien canon or universe, so whatever that garbage sequel did was meaningless.

Why is this thread turning to shit?

I'm gonna make like Milli Vanilli and. . .

Blame it on the Reign, yeah yeah!

Not only did he "forget" proper Alien lore, but he doesn't know how to use multiquote to reply, meaning. More shitty replies.

Shogmaster is totally going to blow Ridley Scott. It's Ridley Scott and his girlfriends fake boobs have scarred him for life. ;)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Except the first reference in film was with Predator 2, so you could argue that the established relationship began way before those horrid AvP movies.

Meh. That was an Easter egg for fans. Like the ETs in Star Wars episode 1 galactic senate. Does not cement an absolute connection

Tedesco!

Meh. That was an Easter egg for fans. Like the ETs in Star Wars episode 1 galactic senate. Does not cement an absolute connection

Of course, but it is a more credible link (if you wanted to make one) than those two POS movies. I have no problem with the two sharing the same universe. I don't think a lot of people would if the two properties were handle with an iota of respect.

And Predator 2 was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom