• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Hm, is that true 1080p? It still looks kind of crummy, but could just be YouTube. Regardless, so awesome.

Hmm, dunno. Saw it linked on the Prometheus Facebook page, but the YT page doesn't look all that official. Looked alright on my plasma though. But yeah, might just be youtube.

its not. its the earlier version, just upscaled.

Sounds reasonable. The 3D kinda threw me off, was that just converted as well?

Ridley Scott said:
If we're lucky, maybe there'll be a second part to all of this.

If this is good, Scott better keep to that. At this rate he's only going to make Sci-fi for the rest of life. Although I guess that Cormac McCarthy movie is next.

FoneBone

Damn, I thought the Q&A and trailer reveal would be streamed live.. not really worth staying awake for a live blog.

Looking forward to getting my mind blown by the trailer when I wake up.

They are getting streamed live - the Q&A at 4:15PST is a separate event from the WonderCon panel.

Anteater

sjs2ywn.gif

ohmygawd what is this thing!

sjs2ywn.gif

ohmygawd what is this thing!

Looks like same
tentacle like thing that hits the window Noomi is peeking through.
Also, just a theory but the surreal shot of
Theron standing in a hallway looking at the camera ominously gives me the impression she's waiting for someone to arrive. Maybe this is when Noomi's character gets experimented on/attacked?

Zeliard

Someone should get a gif of the Space Jockey hanging out in the new trailer, with that
exoskeleton ribcage opening up
or whateverthefuck.

Not a chance.

Hm? It is PG-13. But I'm saying that's not gonna matter much. MPAA doesn't even care about violence as a rule; it's specifically overt gore, blood in general, and sex that they hate.

Zeliard

The Space Jockey looks weird and awesome. Neat character design on that thing.

And it definitely seems to confirm that the
exoskeleton from Alien is some sort of suit/harness thing that's part of the Jockey chair, not part of the Jockey, though Ridley Scott had already said that in the past anyway.

Snaku

Banned
Ridley himself has been quoted many times as saying they're aiming for PG-13 for the theaters, time to accept it and move on. Alien itself would easily be PG-13 today simply without the F word.

I don't think they'd get away with the Chestburster scene as it is either.

Man

Since you are speculating, from the QA:
When the Prometheus crew arrives and awakens them, they begin to change, even becoming metal and forming a ship of their own.

Ridley himself has been quoted many times as saying they're aiming for PG-13 for the theaters, time to accept it and move on. Alien itself would easily be PG-13 today simply without the F word.

edit: Same for Aliens and Alien 3

I don't know if you would get away with the chestburster scene in Alien or the chestburster scene in Aliens.

soldat7

edit: Same for Aliens and Alien 3

Wow. I didn't realize this. Been on a media blackout aside from the initial trailer.

Zeliard

Ridley said this back in February:

"I just thought 'Prometheus' was so enjoyable — returning to the world of science fiction was so fun — that I wanted to [go back to 'Blade Runner,' too]. I’m also thinking about what the hell I might do for a 'Prometheus 2.'"

rbenchley

I don't know if you would get away with the chestburster scene in Alien or the chestburster scene in Aliens.

When they showed Alien on the SciFi channel, they left the chestburster scene intact. It was rated TV-14 with strong language and violence. The only content that was cut was the profanity. In any event, I trust Ridley to deliver an excellent movie regardless of ratings or certain strong content present in the theatrical release. Anything cut to make the PG-13 rating will just be gravy when I purchase the Director's Cut on BluRay later on.

I don't think they'd get away with the Chestburster scene as it is either.

Maybe not, but who knows with the MPAA these days. My impression is that they're pretty lenient with isolated "fantasy gore" scenes vs full on brutality so I still think they'd possibly get away with it depending on who was handing down the verdict of course.

When they showed Alien on the SciFi channel, they left the chestburster scene intact. It was rated TV-14 with strong language and violence. The only content that was cut was the profanity.

Exactly, first time I ever saw Alien was way back in 1997 on USA network and it was obvious that all they cut was language.

Zeliard

Since Ridley Scott filmed it as R, or unrated, he also has a lot more bargaining room when it comes to cutting it. He can just make smaller cuts to the more overt stuff until the MPAA and Fox are finally like "ok we're cool with that," while still leaving in there enough violent content to make it work.

While if he had filmed it as PG-13 off the bat, he'd have no room to maneuver. And we wouldn't be getting the unrated DC that we're likely going to see.

MPAA also doesn't care much about what's perceived as terror content. They tend to mention it, like with The Ring and "disturbing images," but they don't slap on an R automatically for that stuff. So we're still gonna get plenty of creepy visuals and an ominous atmosphere.

FoneBone

When they showed Alien on the SciFi channel, they left the chestburster scene intact. It was rated TV-14 with strong language and violence

TV ratings come only from the networks - there's no equivalent to the MPAA - and what you can get away with in terms of gore on basic cable (or, for that matter, the broadcast networks) is far more lenient than what the MPAA will allow in a PG-13 movie.

Wow. I didn't realize this. Been on a media blackout aside from the initial trailer.

Yeah, he doesn't seem bothered by it at all and even said 'We'd be stupid not to have it as an option' and IIRC also said he doesn't see it taking away from the tone and feel of the film at all.

Zeliard

Yeah but
it's probably just gonna be that pale, bald humanoid guy. No more visions of cool, exotic elephantine space jockey aliens lurking about the galaxy I guess. :(
Still looks awesome though.

I dunno, they might still
act all creepy and strange, despite their looks. I mean consider who would wear a suit that fucked up.
:p

Anteater

Yeah but
it's probably just gonna be that pale, bald humanoid guy. No more visions of cool, exotic elephantine space jockey aliens lurking about the galaxy I guess. :(
Still looks awesome though.

Yeah, it's one of the most likely scenario, but I personally don't think (I'm in denial)
it fits that bald guy, and there's the red big dude in the new trailer at the back

freshair

Lindoff, Charlie, fassbender, Scott were all amazing at the panel. someone asked what fassbender smelled like and Charlie said musk and chili. Sometimes with a hint of mint. :lol

Zeliard

What if they're tiny little aliens that look like HR Giger?

lol

Speaking of Giger, I wonder exactly how much input he had on Prometheus. The way various info made it seem, he's not involved all that much, unfortunately. Though the movie still looks great from what we've seen.

I dunno, they might still
act all creepy and strange, despite their looks. I mean consider who would wear a suit that fucked up.
:p

Good point, and if
they're the ones responsible for making poor Noomi all hurt and bloody I'll find 'em plenty scary and hateable. grrrr :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom