• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

Tobor

I see how it would take additional resources to develop additional content to use with the GamePad, if that is indeed what they are doing. So this delay makes complete sense to me, without outright canceling the game...

Canceling the game would make much less sense, it will sell some.
The user base is indeed tiny compared to other platforms but there is a user base, and if Ubi already invested in development for Wii U, they will not swallow the loss. They will get out of it whatever they can.

I will laugh hard at the doubters if the Wii U version using the GamePad is awesome! I can see it happening.

They aren't adding additional resources or giving the Wii U team more time.

They are pulling resources and giving them to the other teams. Read the quote from the CEO again.

Ansatz

Why is this blown out of proportion, western publishers are not part of Nintendo's future anyway. This is not the battle that will decide Nintendo's fate.

This just confirms to me that they never even started development of the WiiU version.

At this point it's cancellation is all but certain, and thus Ubisofts stint on the WiiU is over.

When was the last time we actually heard anything from Ubisoft about Watch_Dogs Wii U development?

We have an article from mid-February 2013 (12 months ago):

While Wii U tablet features have been to be decided, Guay said that the game's themes of hacking with mobile devices is a "natural" fit for the controller.

"We're still investigating how we'll use the tablet on the Wii U, but with the things I mentioned before, for us it's not going to be a weird stretch," he said.

"It's natural. What's really cool with Watch Dogs, when we start thinking of those devices, it's not a weird abstraction, it's not like I'm a space alien and now I'm using a tablet. Why am I doing that?

"Aiden Pearce is using a device to control the city, so it's quite easy to imagine what we could do with that."

He added that porting duties are currently being handled by Ubisoft's Bucharest studio, and that the game is "'already running" on the system.

- Senior Producer at Ubisoft Montreal Dominic Guay

And another article from early October (4 months ago):

I would say the Wii U version is pretty much in between what the current gen is and what the next gen is from a version standpoint. It's hard to position it. I would tend to say it's maybe a bit closer to current gen than next gen for certain things but it's a beautiful game on Wii U and it's cool to play it just on the GamePad.

It's a bit weird for me to try Watch Dogs on so many different things, I mean, I tried it on Remote Play on PS4 as well and it's fun to see it on all different platforms. It's fun to try out.

On the Wii U you can play on the GamePad screen. There are no new features or anything like that - it's the same game but we're optimising the controls for the beast that is the Wii U GamePad.
- Ubisoft Montreal Creative Director Jonathan Morin

But other than that? Radio silence from Ubisoft. I don't think we've even seen gameplay footage of the Wii U version.

Other than a few, occasional comments by Ubisoft Montreal, its development at Ubisoft Bucharest has been very nebulous. I'd be surprised if cancelling the game at this point on the Wii U would be a significant loss for the company.

Patryn

I guarantee that when the teams finish the other versions of Watch_Dogs and Ubi looks at the WiiU version again they'll decide again that that time could be better spent on other titles, like AC5 or whatever.

If they really have pulled everyone off development of it, it's clearly a walking corpse.

Guessing they may have just not outright cancelled it because they're evaluating future support for the WiiU in general and didn't want to open that can of worms now.

Forget it, I think I'm just gonna stop supporting Ubisoft.

Can't say I care.

Ubisoft hasn't made a game that's anything other than medicore in the past 8 years.

the salt is real

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

Plus, he doesn't think WatchDogs Wii U is competing against WatchDogs on other systems.

meanwhile, DragonSworne continues to make no sense
do you really think Iwata even has control over this situation in the first place

Breemin

They aren't adding additional resources or giving the Wii U team more time.

They are pulling resources and giving them to the other teams. Read the quote from the CEO again.

Yup I understand that.
It definitely makes more sense to use the resources on the platforms that will obviously sell more right now.
What I am saying is with the Wii U version, if the GamePad is used correctly, it does require certain development that the other platforms do not. And those resources are not available for a less selling platform at the moment.

I think if used correctly this game would be really nice with the GamePad. Unfortunately Nintendo isn't helping. They should collaborate with Ubi and give them the damn resources. Nintendo needs this a lot more then Ubi does.

Boogybro

Why is this blown out of proportion, western publishers are not part of Nintendo's future anyway. This is not the battle that will decide Nintendo's fate.

Because it just pisses people off that want to support the system. If you're gonna declare your support for the system with your games, dont send those games to die by delaying them. Anyone eager to play Watch Dogs is not gonna hold out for the delayed Wii U version.

They might as well just bite the bullet and cancel it, and deal with the backlash from that.

RE_Player

With the Wii U probably amounting to 1% of the total Watch_Dogs sales I am not surprised. Should of just cancelled the thing outright.

Bsigg12

Yup I understand that.
It definitely makes more sense to use the resources on the platforms that will obviously sell more right now.
What I am saying is with the Wii U version, if the GamePad is used correctly, it does require certain development that the other platforms do not. And those resources are not available for a less selling platform at the moment.

I think if used correctly this game would be really nice with the GamePad. Unfortunately Nintendo isn't helping. They should collaborate with Ubi and give them the damn resources. Nintendo needs this a lot more then Ubi does.

Nintendo needs a lot more than Watch Dogs at this point. This doesn't change anything since no one was going to buy it based on the sales of ACIV on the Wii U.

Effect

I'm not denying nintendo's responsibilities for the third party situation, but I'm also saying that the attitude of most hardcore nintendo fans is not helping. The whole "we don't need EA/Acti/Ubi games they are crap anyways" attitude is damaging the console as much as nintendo's mistakes. Right know the Wii U user base is as big as the ps4 or the xb1 ones. If software houses keep delaying or cancelling Wiiu games and not ps4/xb1 ones is because they know the biggest part of the Wii U user base won't buy their games anyway.

That's something that makes me really angry. Like those people who cry for quality games on Wii U and originality and then don't buy gems like TW 101, ZombiU or Rayman Legends. All they keep buying is Zelda, Mario and nothing else. Depressing

I always see the bold said about Nintendo fans. I rarely ever see those words said by Nintendo fans outside so rare uber fanboy child. Yet people continually try to push this narrative that that is all Nintendo fans when there has never been anything to even remotely show that's true. I put this in the same category as people saying Nintendo systems have no online at all. That Wii owners didn't buy any games when in fact (backed up by data) the attach rate is the same as the PS3/360.

Customers are not to blame here. Nintendo as a company and platform holder are to blame. They always have been and always will be. Until the day comes when they are doing everything they are suppose to be doing right and customers still aren't buying. Then and only then will customers be at fault.

Glass Joe

Eh, for Wii U owners, a delay is better than a cancellation. It's pretty much sending the SKU out to die though, just like most 3rd party stuff though. They didn't specify how long the delay was though, did they? So when it does come out, other verisions will likely be cheaper with the Wii U at a big fat $60.

I wonder if they're going to see preorders plummet and use that as an excuse to kill it outright? Or if they'll actually do something cool, like include DLC as free on the U and call it "Complete Edition" or whatever to at least try to sell it. Or sell it cheaper, at least on par with other versions' prices at that point in time.

Serious question. I love my Wii u but why would anyone buy this that didn't

1.have a ps4/one/PC

2.desperately just want to find reason to turn their Wii u on?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If Ubisoft has already decided to cancel it, why would it hide behind a "delay", they didn't hide the reason behind Rayman's delay and that was a way bigger issue from the PR point of view. This is borderline conspiracy theory.

Not even a date? This will have the same fate as Aliens:CM.

None of the versions have a date yet.

UbiSoft to Nintendo: I see that you are in desperate need of games for your system and are sitting on a pile of money....Let's talk.

Ludist210

Welp, that's the death-knell for Watch_Dogs on Wii U. It already (likely) wasn't going to sell particularly well, but delaying it until after other platforms get it? That's not looking good.

That said, I'm curious to see how well they implement the Gamepad. That could make it more appealing.

Zornack

Eh, for Wii U owners, a delay is better than a cancellation. It's pretty much sending the SKU out to die though, just like most 3rd party stuff though. They didn't specify how long the delay was though, did they? So when it does come out, other verisions will likely be cheaper with the Wii U at a big fat $60.

I wonder if they're going to see preorders plummet and use that as an excuse to kill it outright? Or if they'll actually do something cool, like include DLC as free on the U and call it "Complete Edition" or whatever to at least try to sell it. Or sell it cheaper, at least on par with other versions' prices at that point in time.

I'm sure the Wii U preorders are already dismal.

Steel

Banned
I think this will fare about the same as Bordlands 2 vita as far as release(Or lack thereof) dates are concerned.

If Ubisoft has already decided to cancel it, why would it hide behind a "delay", they didn't hide the reason behind Rayman's delay and that was a way bigger issue from the PR point of view. This is borderline conspiracy theory.

None of the versions have a date yet.

Personally I don't think Ubisoft has decided whether to cancel it or not at this point in time.

But I do think, because of their apathy towards the Wii U version, they'll decide to allocate resources to other projects once Watch_Dogs releases on other platforms.

massoluk

Banned
Perfect, so people that don't own PS3, 360, PS4, Xbox One, or a good PC, but have the Wii U will have every reason to pick it up and make Wii U version a commercial success.

dex3108

I could not resist XD

XGRtBc1.gif

But i think that this would not happen.

18-Volt

Come on Iwata, just kill the thing already or face further embarassment. There are goddamn 3 months (90 days) between two releases and there is no way Wii U survives first half of the year. Kill it.

KHlover

Banned
Serious question. I love my Wii u but why would anyone buy this that didn't

1.have a ps4/one/PC

2.desperately just want to find reason to turn their Wii u on?
None, especially when considering the delay miiight push it into SSB4 terrain (supposed to release in June on the other platforms, right?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Personally I don't think Ubisoft has decided whether to cancel it or not at this point in time.

But I do think, because of their apathy towards the Wii U version, they'll decide to allocate resources to other projects once Watch_Dogs releases on other platforms.

I think it depends on how much money it will cost in addition to what was already spent.

King_Moc

Banned
Great, so if they even bother to release it, it'll probably be out when the other versions are half price. Will totally sell gangbusters!

massoluk

Banned
Hey, remember when Ubisoft delay the release of the finished version of Wii U's Rayman Legend to finish the development of other versions?

Oh, wait, they're not doing that this time? :p

Conan-san

Of course.

At what point does Nintendo simply deny them the SKU / Liecence for the next console? Seriously, they use the Wii U as an over glorified advertisement platform for Rayman Legends' Xbox and PS3 releases and then they pull out this shit.

Effect

Of course.

At what point does Nintendo simply deny them the SKU / Liecence for the next console? Seriously, they use the Wii U as an over glorified advertisement platform for Rayman Legends' Xbox and PS3 releases and then they pull out this shit.

Not like it matters. Nintendo refusing them a license would only work if Nintendo had some type of leverage. The way Nintendo is handling the Wii U and even the Wii sales of Just Dance might end being greater on other platforms. Same with Activision and Skylanders. Once that happens these publishers won't give a damn about Nintendo and Nintendo will have no pull with them. This is end result of their decisions.

Patryn

Of course.

Ubisoft has been Nintendo's biggest 3rd party supporter. If they punished them, Nintendo would likely never have a chance of getting significant 3rd party support for any future console.

Top Bottom