• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

blurr

Twin Peaks S1 01

That was very heavy depiction of a loss of life relayed through great performances by a range of cast. The emotional weight it creates adds to the intrigue the setup builds and it was just getting started.

I really wonder how my impression would be had I not played Deadly Premonition but I've had a noticeably better experience from how DP started off. The wide array of cast, their personalities and their relationships sink in through out the episode and that isn't even including the presence of slightly eccentric and charming central character Dale Cooper. He was a surrogate to this town I am thankful for.

Looking forward to watch more, this should be a fine break.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Urahara Episode 3

Yea that downtime was about as boring for the audience as it was for the characters and honestly I would have dropped this if not for it being the only thing watched on a Wednesday currently outside Boruto.

mankoto

Non Non Biyori - 04
Nc8nDif.jpg

basPNP1.jpg

p2xMc67.jpg

This is too adorable for it's own good.

Soma S3 - 02-03

Episode 1 almost had me kick the show in the bucket but the second episode was alright and the third quite a lot of fun. Reaction faces and 'evil' Soma were glorious. I'm also liking how much the 'old' cast is involved so far. I was afraid that we'd dive headlong into those Elite 10 primarily but that's fortunately not the case.

SkyOdin

Orbital Frames? What are those-

*googles*

I really regret not owning a PS2 growing up.
You haven't played one of the best mecha action games of all time?

Or watched ZotE: Idolo or Dolores, i? Dolores, i is actually a pretty good show that has an atypical cast for a mecha series. If you are a mecha fan I will recommend it. Just make sure to watch Idolo first.

Also, play the games, they are amazing.

Taruranto

Swords 13/END

The series could have been 2 episodes shorter, these last two episodes were excruciating

Well anyway, this was mostly tolerable when it was a slice of life involving the swords, as an action anime it basically just existed so you could see your favorite swordboy animated because the story and the dialogs may as well have been automatically generated. Anyway, my favorite sword-boy was Doggo Mutsu, so I got lucky, too bad he wasn't in in the last two episodes much.

Jex

[Children of the Whales] - 2

I don't necessarily think many of you will agree with me on this but I think this episode revealed too much information about the state of the world.

One of the pleasures about a story like this, where the viewer is traveling to a new world, is the sense of endless possibility. It's easily the most exciting time in a story of this nature because you can begin to speculate about the nature of the world based on the evidence we have to hand. All we have are a list of questions about the state of the world and questions, it turns out, are generally far more interesting than answers.

I know this episode doesn't exactly provide a blow-by-blow rundown of the history of the world, but the information it does convey severely limits the 'possibility space' of the story. The conflict hinted at by the story revelations doesn't seem particularly interesting - it seems fairly 'route'. When combined with the cast of characters feeling somewhat 'anime' it doesn't exactly breed confidence in the future direction of the story.

Perhaps I've just come to value ambiguity as a storytelling device in as I've gotten older. It just generally seems more interesting because when something is ambiguous or only hinted at the viewer has to take a more active role in engaging with the story.

I don't necessarily think many of you will agree with me on this but I think this episode revealed too much information about the state of the world.

One of the pleasures about a story like this, where the viewer is traveling to a new world, is the sense of endless possibility. It's easily the most exciting time in a story of this nature because you can begin to speculate about the nature of the world based on the evidence we have to hand. All we have are a list of questions about the state of the world and questions, it turns out, are generally far more interesting than answers.

I know this episode doesn't exactly provide a blow-by-blow rundown of the history of the world, but the information it does convey severely limits the 'possibility space' of the story. The conflict hinted at by the story revelations doesn't seem particularly interesting - it seems fairly 'route'. When combined with the cast of characters feeling somewhat 'anime' it doesn't exactly breed confidence in the future direction of the story.

Perhaps I've just come to value ambiguity as a storytelling device in as I've gotten older. It just generally seems more interesting because when something is ambiguous or only hinted at the viewer has to take a more active role in engaging with the story.

I don’t really agree with you on this, but if you want more ambiguity about the setting you should be watching Girls’ Last Tour.

I would probably watch Heybot if it wasn't for the fact that there's too many games coming. Don't want to use gaming time for marathoning

Voltron Season 3 + 3.5

One day, Hunk will get a character arc to define him beyond the fat guy.

Also, I'm starting to suspect the team knows they're not good at giant robot fights, because there's a distinct lack of giant robot fights in both seasons. I'm serious, there's very little Voltroning going on.

Like the climax of 3.5 is Voltron apparently taking a planet, and it's mostly done off-screen.

Xyber

Wtf guys, I was not prepared for the last few episodes of Made in Abyss.

A buddy recommended it to me and didn't really say much about it. Just said he thought it was one of the best anime's this year so I just jumped right in not knowing anything about it.

This marks the second time any entertainment has made me straight up cry (not cry-cry, but still had tears coming down my face). First was Anohana.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Voltron Season 3 + 3.5

One day, Hunk will get a character arc to define him beyond the fat guy.

Also, I'm starting to suspect the team knows they're not good at giant robot fights, because there's a distinct lack of giant robot fights in both seasons. I'm serious, there's very little Voltroning going on.

Like the climax of 3.5 is Voltron apparently taking a planet, and it's mostly done off-screen.

Season 3 seems to be a bit of a mess production wise all around.

Cornbread78

Wtf guys, I was not prepared for the last few episodes of Made in Abyss.

A buddy recommended it to me and didn't really say much about it. Just said he thought it was one of the best anime's this year so I just jumped right in not knowing anything about it.

This marks the second time any entertainment has made me straight up cry (not cry-cry, but still had tears coming down my face). First was Anohana.

Sounds like your ready for Clannad

duckroll

I don't agree with you on this because so far the Netflix version of the show has revealed nothing to me at all. Not even the first episode!

Osomatsu-San, Episodes 1-4 - I just recently picked this series up and now I wish I had started watching it sooner. Each episode has had me cracking up. I'm hoping to catch up so I can start watching the second season weekly.

I completely disagree with this sentiment. If you are sure that your answers would be less interesting than your questions, then don't pose them at all. Just let them be footnote in the story or just reveal them from the start. As I've gotten older, I'm growing tired of having my imagination do the heavy lifting in order to enjoy your narrative. Many a plot indeed has mysterious build up leading to disappointing revelations, but at least they try. "It's gonna be disappointing anyway so let's just conceal it" is narrative cowardice.

Dream Festival R Episode 9

Back to Kurofune drama but it is finally resolved thanks to Yuto. Actually pretty good epsiode for seeing someone overcome their mid life issues.
DMdoTlBVwAEborG.jpg:small
DMdo9LVUIAA2uFI.jpg:small

Fun times all around though, the singing in the park randomly was one of my favorite things. I love when idol shows just burst out in song.

Daemul

Strawberry Panic(2006) - 26 - End

14070.jpg

My sister has been trying to get me to watch this for years, and after having nothing better to do with my time I said fuck it and binged it.

As predictable and cliched as the general plotline was, overall I actually enjoyed it greatly. Large parts of it played out like your typical telenovela, with dramatic actions and camera shots mixed in with crazy story twists galore, including the infamous amnesia plotline, which had me howling at how ludicrous it was, but hell, I had more fun watching this anime then most of the seasonal stuff I've sat through this year.

10/10 for entertainment and lots of yuri.

Three Leaves, Three Colors 5

Someone desperately wants this to be 4 Leaves, 4 Colors
But at best there can only be four colors

I wish I knew why they used birthmarks in the episode title though.

Eila

I usually avoid shoujo crap like the plague but I'm enjoying Kaleido Star a lot. It's filled with tropes (duh) and QUALITY but still.

Three Leaves, Three Colors 6

Ah, I was wondering when the Beach episode was going to happen. I never see Yu eating any of the Sister's food, I mean shit, I need to see how he reacts since he's into older women. Unfortunately, he has to deal with Cousin-chan, who is capable of hospitalizing him by existing. Poor thing.

Top Bottom