• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Chiaroscuro is spot on with this point. Some kids are incredibly dexterous by 4 years old, and some still struggle at 8. Both my girls (10 and 6) have had issues with some of the finer motions in the past (positioning a 1x1 plate, aligning Technic pins etc) and it absolutely kills their interest in a set when it happens. Making sure that a set is a good fit for their skills is really important.

In terms of the Creator Expert sets, I'd steer the kids clear of them if I were you. Both of my children have tried to help with various modulars over the years and were invariably frustrated. Supa Necta, you've got a prodigy on your hands - nurture that ;)

On another note, if a kid asks to help you with the stickers on your set......

Chiming in to say that the Juniors line is a great stopgap between DUPLO and the regular LEGO themes. Nice simple builds, but also using mostly regular LEGO pieces and no stickers.
More like training wheels sets before going to the regular SYSTEM style sets. I really wish they would put more Juniors sets out for that reason alone.

iosefe

Close your eyes and pray?

use the wax paper to position.

have it partially on and you can easily move and readjust, then press down the sticker to the brick, hold in place, and gently remove the wax paper from the sticker

ruxtpin

Banned
use the wax paper to position.

have it partially on and you can easily move and readjust, then press down and gently remove the wax paper from the sticker

Exactly this. I wrap a bit of the wax paper around the tapered end of a brick separator, transfer a sticker from sheet to the end of the wrapped separator. Then I can hold the sticker to separator without touching the residue and easily position right where I want it.

PotC BrickHeadz:

e6f7YKt.png

They are totally going the Funko route with this theme...

These are coming in April (March for VIPs) with the D2C set, so that is probably why the calendar references "Exclusive VIP access to sets" on March 17th.

I need to resist going down the completionist route with those. I hope LEGO doesn't put those out as fast as they put out Mixels. Even the completionists in me couldn't handle the constant waves of Mixels.

_Rob_

Glad to see I'm not alone in my love for older lines! Having said that though, I just got 4195 (POTC Queen Anne's Revenge) for a fantastic deal! I always wanted one of the late 80's ships as a kid, and as those are astronomical these days the fact I managed to grab this ship for under £100 was a steal!

Hopefully it'll take me a little while to put together. Does anyone here have one, any idea of build time?

d_4195_detail_2.jpg

after building the ucs tie interceptor, i decided to exchange all the blue parts with grey.
i think the set looks still great for it's age but i just can't live with that blue color.
will post some pictures when i'm done with that.

I have QAR! Been a long time since I put it together, can't remember build time. But it is a great build and a lovely set. It's my favorite pirate ship.

I've been wanting to put it together again but my bag o' sails got misplaced during a move :/

magawolaz

Out of interest, are and of you guys and gals interested in older sets (pre 2005)? Most of the conversation seems to be revolving around the newer sets (which makes sense of course). So I just wondered how many of us there were here!
I just got back into LEGO because I felt the urge to restore my old sets (pre-'95 even, lol)

I loved the pirate ships. Couple of pieces still missing (should arrive in the next couple of days), and I still need to find a good way to replicate sails because I ain't payin $10+ a piece, but I'm already happy with the results: http://imgur.com/a/B6fiD

_Rob_

I just got back into LEGO because I felt the urge to restore my old sets (pre-'95 even, lol)

I loved the pirate ships. Couple of pieces still missing (should arrive in the next couple of days), and I still need to find a good way to replicate sails because I ain't payin $10+ a piece, but I'm already happy with the results: http://imgur.com/a/B6fiD

That's really cool I'm in a similar boat (if you'll excuse the pun), I wonder if a similar material to the sails is available on a roll that could be hand cut? Those ships seemed so much bigger when I was a kid!

Glad to see I'm not alone in my love for older lines! Having said that though, I just got 4195 (POTC Queen Anne's Revenge) for a fantastic deal! I always wanted one of the late 80's ships as a kid, and as those are astronomical these days the fact I managed to grab this ship for under £100 was a steal!

Hopefully it'll take me a little while to put together. Does anyone here have one, any idea of build time?

d_4195_detail_2.jpg

Both PotC ships are great but Quenn is my favorite. I built it a long time ago, but I don't remenber it taking long. Anyway I have to desassemble both soon for cleaning, but I will assemble them right away, they don't deserve to be in storage.

magawolaz

That's really cool I'm in a similar boat (if you'll excuse the pun), I wonder if a similar material to the sails is available on a roll that could be hand cut? Those ships seemed so much bigger when I was a kid!
Yeah the Renegade Runner is tiiiny! The Imperial Outpost too, I thought it was huge back then. The Armada on the other hand is pretty tall, I like it.
As for the sails I don't know, biggest problem is the color scheme, I don't have a color printer nor artistic skills.
At least black sails are very piratey lol

_Rob_

after building the ucs tie interceptor, i decided to exchange all the blue parts with grey.
i think the set looks still great for it's age but i just can't live with that blue color.
will post some pictures when i'm done with that.

I disliked the blue parts on the UCS TIE Interceptor too. I saw someone reengineered a 75095 UCS TIE Fighter into TIE Interceptor. Looks pretty good.

It's always mystified me how few TIE Interceptors Lego has done, especially compared to the number of times they've released the Naboo fighter or Darth Maul's ship.

RE: Stickers, the only stickers I've ever used were the view screens in the Death Star. I've modded some of the Speed Champions sets to use different coloured bricks rather than put the stickers on.

DonShula

Chiaroscuro is spot on with this point. Some kids are incredibly dexterous by 4 years old, and some still struggle at 8. Both my girls (10 and 6) have had issues with some of the finer motions in the past (positioning a 1x1 plate, aligning Technic pins etc) and it absolutely kills their interest in a set when it happens. Making sure that a set is a good fit for their skills is really important.

In terms of the Creator Expert sets, I'd steer the kids clear of them if I were you. Both of my children have tried to help with various modulars over the years and were invariably frustrated. Supa Necta, you've got a prodigy on your hands - nurture that ;)

On another note, if a kid asks to help you with the stickers on your set......

I make my wife do the stickers!

My four year old is actually about as good at following directions as the seven year old. He's just got that eye for detail apparently. But he actually still prefers Duplo for some reason. He's put together Lego Dimensions sets on his own.

My seven year old did put together the Moana sailboat by herself, with minimal interruption from me. She's getting there.

ruxtpin

Banned
Looking at the sticker discussion, does anyone else not put on any stickers at all ever?

Depends on the set for me. Lots of smaller stuff I don't bother, but with 10XXX series it's about 50/50. I don't think the UCS X-Wing looks right without stickers applied. Nor the VW van. Didn't apply any to the SSD as they were all inside.

Fowler

Depends on the set for me. Lots of smaller stuff I don't bother, but with 10XXX series it's about 50/50. I don't think the UCS X-Wing looks right without stickers applied. Nor the VW van. Didn't apply any to the SSD as they were all inside.

I skipped the canopy sticker on the X-Wing and it looks fine without that one IMO...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They have a Lego batarang 'buried' in the pavement on the South Bank in London at the moment to promote the movie. Yesterday morning it was there and they had people dressed up in Lego Batman/Batgirl/Robin suits having photos taken with passersby.

They weren't there today but I grabbed a pic. Its about 7-8ft tall

There is also a Lego/DC exhibition at the South Bank centre somewhere - has anyone been to see that?

_Rob_

Ha! That's really cool, those sort of marketing stunts are always more interesting/intriguing than a billboard (although a darn sight more expensive I should imagine!).

mclem

Ha! That's really cool, those sort of marketing stunts are always more interesting/intriguing than a billboard (although a darn sight more expensive I should imagine!).

I loved the few major ones they had for Rick and Morty.

6cDWi0d.jpg

9Yb9AbP.jpg

81ENR0S.jpg

(I think these might use the same 3D models as one another)

What?! Hah - I dreaded that one but feel like it would look incomplete without it. At least they gave us duplicates.

I horribly botched my first attempt and didn't even try the second. I think it looks fine without.

I think it beats the Maersk train for worst sticker ever.

I horribly botched my first attempt and didn't even try the second. I think it looks fine without.

I think it beats the Maersk train for worst sticker ever.

But Maersk has multiple stickers that go over multiple pieces at once. It is so damn annoying. I am in the middle of disassembling it now and am keeping those sections together in case. It is infuriating.

DonShula

But Maersk has multiple stickers that go over multiple pieces at once. It is so damn annoying. I am in the middle of disassembling it now and am keeping those sections together in case. It is infuriating.

I didn't even know Lego did a single sticker across multiple pieces. Thought that was exclusively a bad MegaBloks idea.

ruxtpin

Banned
The most recent set I actually applied stickers to was one of the Audi speed racer sets. The Le Mans prototype thing. I don't think they'd look like the car without them.

Oh agreed - I remember when you first posted pics of the set I was horrified (first world problem). The sex wing is a different thing entirely though. TLG knew it was such a terrible sticker that they gave you an extra.

The most recent set I actually applied stickers to was one of the Audi speed racer sets. The Le Mans prototype thing. I don't think they'd look like the car without them.

Yeah, those Audi cars absolutely need the stickers. My rule of thumb is if there is any chance the set will be disassembled then the stickers don't get applied. That usually equates to: if it's > $150 then the stickers go on.

Osahi

I didn't even know Lego did a single sticker across multiple pieces. Thought that was exclusively a bad MegaBloks idea.

They don't do it anymore I think.

I always apply stickers, and I al getting pretty confident at it. Only botched two or three or so

Don't get me wrong, I hate them with all my guts, but they do complete the sets imo

Ponn

Banned
What are people picking up tonight or tomorrow for the Disco/Tears Batman polybag in the US?

Still going back and forth between Riddler Car and some smaller sets or the Tail Gator. I'm thinking going with Riddler because Tail Gator will be marked down eventually and might be able to get it even cheaper from AWD.

What are people picking up tonight or tomorrow for the Disco/Tears Batman polybag in the US?

Still going back and forth between Riddler Car and some smaller sets or the Tail Gator. I'm thinking going with Riddler because Tail Gator will be marked down eventually and might be able to get it even cheaper from AWD.

So the Riddler car is that good then? My priority was always getting the Joker Lowrider, then the Penguin one and then maaaybe the Croc Truck as far as LBM vehicles go, i didn't even have Riddler on my radar hmmm.

Ponn

Banned
So the Riddler car is that good then? My priority was always getting the Joker Lowrider, then the Penguin one and then maaaybe the Croc Truck as far as LBM vehicles go, i didn't even have Riddler on my radar hmmm.

I already have them all except Riddler, Tail Gator and Asylum. It's all about the figs with these last couple sets and the Riddler car is a goldmine. I do really like the truck build in the Tail Gator set though.

Joker Lowrider is a great build and looks pimp as hell. Anyone needing it should make it priority along with Scuttler.

I would strongly recommend the Riddler car. It's a great little build but the figs included in the set are fantastic. My plan is to buy another as a gift tomorrow, and top it off with a few Mighty Micros.

Then, after I've left the store and realized I want a second poly I'll go back and grab the remaining Mighty Micros and Clayface or the Lowrider.

I can't believe I just clicked through all of those. I hate it when articles are presented like that.

Also, the list is wrong. Man Bat needs to be removed from any "best of" list, even if it does include every fig released.

The holiday bauble comes with 14 metallic gold 2x2 and it's marked down to $2. I'll grab 5 of those and Tail-Gator.

UK: Batman in the Phantom Zone polybag is £2.45 here.

Alternatively it's "free" with a copy of The Times on Saturday, from Martins or McColls. I guess they really did dump The Daily Mail!

Osahi

UK: Batman in the Phantom Zone polybag is £2.45 here.

Alternatively it's "free" with a copy of The Times on Saturday, from Martins or McColls. I guess they really did dump The Daily Mail!

That poly is named so strange after seeing the movie

shouldn't it be Batman in the Palace of Solitude?

Top Bottom