• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

I wouldn't be surprised if game journalist are next.

Game journalism already works like this :

- get invited to an event
- get food, drink, look at the game, get the PR speach
- Pr guy handles you a bag full of goodies at the end, say " hope you like it, look forward your preview/review "
- you write your review. Game is okay. 7/10. Guys call you, " so how is your review going ? - Well. I liked the game but it had flaws. Thinking about 7/10 - What ? You didn't liked it ? It's such an awesome game ! It has so many cool moments ! " etc... for 30 minutes, trying to get you to put an higher score. If you don't, he will black liste you from all this editor's events and you won't get preview nor reviews.

mobius006

Game journalism already works like this :

- get invited to an event
- get food, drink, look at the game, get the PR speach
- Pr guy handles you a bag full of goodies at the end, say " hope you like it, look forward your preview/review "
- you write your review. Game is okay. 7/10. Guys call you, " so how is your review going ? - Well. I liked the game but it had flaws. Thinking about 7/10 - What ? You didn't liked it ? It's such an awesome game ! It has so many cool moments ! " etc... for 30 minutes, trying to get you to put an higher score. If you don't, he will black liste you from all this editor's events and you won't get preview nor reviews.
Not really..

Darksol

Microsoft, instead of paying people to pretend they like the Xbox One, why not invest that money into new games? Great games will make me buy a system.

Zornack

so basically they get paid if they tell us that XB1 rocks... and you have problem with that?

It is not an ad... it is paying for "review" basically.

On Amazon you get banned for that.

It is completely unethical. Imagine going to buy any product and you check reviews so see if it is good or not and buy it based on those reviews.... then later you find out it is not like advertised and that review was paid for. Is that ok? I dont think so.

I'm fine with it because I take everything a youtube personality takes with a grain of salt. They're not journalists, they're personalities. I see this the same as a company paying Kim Kardashian to tweet about a product.

Microsoft, instead of paying people to pretend they like the Xbox One, why not invest that money into new games? Great games will make me buy a system.

Microsoft have released 8(?) exclusive games for Xbox One already have a rather large amount of games announced too, its pretty obvious they're already investing plenty.

MormaPope

Banned
This is hilarious, so if someone uploads gameplay from a PS4 title, specifically says they're playing on PS4, they'll earn extra money for some sort of Xbox One advert at the beginning of the video?

Or do you have to do some sort of weird shit where you go on a diatribe about Xbox One saving your life during the video?

Guys, this is nothing new. EA was in bed with Machinima during the promotion and reveal of Battlefield 4. Need for Speed was also on the list for a bit. E3 was also another big promotional stint through them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mac...000-cash-prize-for-most-viewed-e3-2013-videos

Gross, so it's likely that instead of a transparent promotion, guys will just be talking about the XB1 suddenly and having the specific words in their titles and descriptions. I'm sure that's what these channels subscribers sign up for.

ZehDon

Gold Member
1084.gif

At the end of the day, I just feel sorry for Major Nelson. While he's asking for the online hate to end, the company that employs him are handing the internet fuel cans and matches.

Iacobellis

1084.gif

At the end of the day, I just feel sorry for Major Nelson. While he's asking for the online hate to end, the company that employs him are handing the internet fuel cans and matches.

What if Sony or Nintendo picked him up? I mean, Jeff left Sony last year, did anyone take his place?

HariKari

Makes it easy to unsub from certain people I guess. There are channels I watch because I enjoy their viewpoint, and there are channels I watch just for the content (the game footage). If you're in the former and do this, I don't really have a reason to watch anymore.

Gross, so it's likely that instead of a transparent promotion, guys will just be talking about the XB1 suddenly and having the specific words in their titles and descriptions. I'm sure that's what these channels subscribers sign up for.

See LevelCaps "No really guys, XB1 BF4 is good!"

Usobuko

Banned
This is hilarious, so if someone uploads gameplay from a PS4 title, specifically says they're playing on PS4, they'll earn extra money for some sort of Xbox One advert at the beginning of the video?

Or do you have to do some sort of weird shit where you go on a diatribe about Xbox One saving your life during the video?

Probably the latter. I doubt the video has the option to not be fully dedicated to Xbox One.

Darksol

Microsoft have released 8(?) exclusive games for Xbox One already have a rather large amount of games announced too, its pretty obvious they're already investing plenty.

If history repeats itself for a third time, I highly expect exclusives to taper off in a year or two as all money is diverted to yearly iterations of FPS.

Freeman

Banned
Thinking about this, it seems like this has the opposite effect, the news of MS having to pay people to have a positive view of the game will spread much further and do more damage than what promoting it on youtube could offset.

Salex_

I thought they were over-delivering on value? Youtubers shouldn't have to be brided to say good things about the product. Word of mouth and all of that advertising that I couldn't escape from should have been enough.

antitrop

This is absolutely disgusting. Anyone that takes this is automatically on the shitlist.

But it's not like there's any game content on Machinima that I'm actually interested in, anyway.

Orayn

This is absolutely disgusting. Anyone that takes this is automatically on the shitlist.

But how will you know who takes it~~

Well, apart from people who are with Machinima and suddenly become really enthusiastic about the Xbox One if they seemed neutral or were down on it before.

Gangxxter

Nothing wrong with that campaign IF all those videos are clearly marked as "promotion".
But I guess the outcome will be that suddenly a whole bunch of "positive opinion" videos about the XB1 will pop up.
It's sad when you can't tell the difference between paid marketing and honest opinion.

I thought it was staying largely the same? The huge jump was entering last generation with HD and all that.

Possibly but it seems every month there's another tale about a 'popular' game that barely meets expected sales numbers. We'll see how this gen goes but I expect more of these strange promotion strategies.

HariKari

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

Nothing wrong with that campaign IF all those videos are clearly marked as "promotion".
But I guess the outcome will be that suddenly a whole bunch of "positive opinion" videos about the XB1 will pop up.
It's sad when you can't tell the difference between paid marketing and honest opinion.

There is a difference between buying ad space and buying positive mention. One is legal, the other is an astroturfing grey area. And pathetic.

LQX

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

Orayn

Because it's not buying ad space on a site, it's the YouTube equivalent of payola.

Iacobellis

Possibly but it seems every month there's another tale about a 'popular' game that barely meets expected sales numbers. We'll see how this gen goes but I expect more of these strange promotion strategies.

Indies are on the rise, I think they may be able to thrive.

??? Microsoft can put up ads on YouTube videos all they want, but it's another thing entirely to pay people to promote it themselves under the guise of a vlog. How can you not see the problem?

Top Bottom