• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazuma Kiryu is "probably" the most requested first guest character in Tekken 7

holy crap, sorry again for the double post but it looks like harada did comment on kiryu after all.
First, we asked about guest characters. Before getting on his flight to Sydney, Harada asked his Twitter followers to send in their guest character requests. He received many, but one that stood out was Kazuma, one of the main characters in Sega's Yakuza series.

Don't necessarily expect Kazuma to come to Tekken 7 soon or ever, however, as Harada pointed out that guests characters can be a complicated matter. Bandai Namco would have to work out a deal with Sega in the case of Kazuma or any other publisher for a different guest character. A company might want to do a deal to promote an upcoming release, so timing is another factor that matters.

Going back to Kazuma, Harada said he was not aware that Western gamers were even aware of the character, so he was surprised to see so many call for him to be in Tekken 7. But again, don't get too excited just yet--"There are a lot of hurdles to overcome" for all guest characters, Harada said.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tekken-7-boss-talks-rage-quitting-possible-nintend/1100-6449617/

come on, what hurdles could there possibly be in a Sega-Bandai Namco collaboration?

Taiki Drum Master was in Yakuza 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJkzHX-dRcc

there would definitely be some sort of licensing issue going on for that to have happened...and, digimon story cyber sleuth had Sega signs

Digimon%2BStory%2BCyber%2BSleuth%2B-%2B05.jpg

i hope he is just bluffing. PLEASE put Kiryu in the game!

The dream.

It is not dead.

But it is fading.
here's the thing man i mean...even if he already called sega and talked to whoever he needed to to get kiryu on a lockdown, do you think once gamespot pressed him, he would've straight gone and been like "yes, we are answering the fan demand and kiryu will be the first guest character in tekken 7"

i think naturally he would just bluff about it. gamespot's excerpts doesn't even make sense, their reasonings anyway because guest characters can be a hassle or whatever but that's exactly what these guest characters are...from different video game licenses. so, are they just gonna not do it at all? of course not.

Shaneus

Also, him saying he didn't know Western gamers even knew who Kiryu was is not a bad sign. Now he's aware, that's a good thing :)

The best part of any Yakuza related thread is the gifs people make of the amazing shit that happens in them. I totally approve of this.

and yet another news outlet has picked up on this, explaining how kiryu perfectly fits into the tekken roster, even though GAF has themselves explained in this thread.
http://segabits.com/blog/2017/05/02/why-yakuzas-kazuma-kiryu-should-be-in-tekken-7/
Tekken7Kazuma.jpg

this just looks so fucking perfect...PLEASE make this happen!!!
Also, him saying he didn't know Western gamers even knew who Kiryu was is not a bad sign. Now he's aware, that's a good thing :)
i'm all for anything and everything that could help Kiryu in this game, but how does Harada's awareness of Kiryu's love in the west help?

rulerk1

He can get in after the King of all Cosmos. had no idea who this was tho. I really should get to playing Yakuza games...

Tweet at Harada. Respectfully, but sometimes the arguments that these people need to make at their jobs get easier to make with mountains of evidence they can point to.

#skate4

Son Of D

i'm all for anything and everything that could help Kiryu in this game, but how does Harada's awareness of Kiryu's love in the west help?

Before the demand Harada felt that Kiryu would only be popular in Japan whereas DLC sales in the west wouldn't be too good to consider getting the rights to him. Now that he's aware of the demand for Kiryu in the west he could be more open to it since western DLC+Season pass sales for him could help the team and Namco make a profit from the deal.

CONCH0BAR

Just lending my voice, for what it's worth:

I wasn't planning on buying T7, but if Kiryu makes it in, Bamco can count on a sale from me.

AAK

There is no amount of convincing or spamming of Namco's twitter that can change anything. The DLC Guest characters were already decided a long time ago.

There is no amount of convincing or spamming of Namco's twitter that can change anything. The DLC Guest characters were already decided a long time ago.

It worked for Bayonetta for Smash. (Although that was probably one of the few characters that was very wanted and cheap/easy to get)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It worked for Bayonetta for Smash. (Although that was probably one of the few characters that was very wanted and cheap/easy to get)

That was also for an officially run poll.

Besides, if we went by apparent visible support the Smash newcomer would have been someone like K Rool.

Not gonna lie, that picture looks pretty damn badass.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the game's released before we can find out any real news on who the guest characters might be :(
agreed. EVERYBODY wants to see kazuya vs kiryu become a fucking reality.

as for the game's release, it's less than a month from now, and the first guest dlc will be in december, so before the year is over we will have to know.

if all the dreams come true and they do kiryu, i'd imagine they'd announce around the same time as kiwami, and give him the older kiryu design to promote yakuza 6.
Tweet at Harada. Respectfully, but sometimes the arguments that these people need to make at their jobs get easier to make with mountains of evidence they can point to.

#skate4
True, however - pretty everybody has voted with their tweets already and it's reached Harada, so really the only thing the fans can do is wait and see.
Before the demand Harada felt that Kiryu would only be popular in Japan whereas DLC sales in the west wouldn't be too good to consider getting the rights to him. Now that he's aware of the demand for Kiryu in the west he could be more open to it since western DLC+Season pass sales for him could help the team and Namco make a profit from the deal.
I hope he is MOST open to it because I need Kiryu in this game!

Both companies will easily make profit if they make this deal
source?
Just lending my voice, for what it's worth:

I wasn't planning on buying T7, but if Kiryu makes it in, Bamco can count on a sale from me.

He actually seems like a Tekken character. Good fit.

look at all these people saying they'd buy Tekken 7 for Kiryu, and all these people recognizing how perfectly he fits. Come on...
That was also for an officially run poll.

Besides, if we went by apparent visible support the Smash newcomer would have been someone like K Rool.
Well, Kiryu's popularity culminated off of two tweets from Harada's Twitter page, so it's not like a bunch of Yakuza fans randomly spitting out that he should be in the game. This is basically another official "poll".

AAK

do you have a source stating that the guest characters are already decided?

If I have to explain it, MM saying "ppl are gonna be pretty hype about it" refers to a tangible thing that can be referenced. i.e. He knows who the guest characters are. If he knows who they are are then they have already been decided.

If I have to explain it, MM saying "ppl are gonna be pretty hype about it" refers to a tangible thing that can be referenced. i.e. He knows who the guest characters are. If he knows who they are are then they have already been decided.
maybe, maybe not. i had a feeling you would give an explanation like that.

i don't think harada would have took to twitter for fan suggestions if they are all ultimately going to be disappointed.

AAK

Namco's not looking for suggestions, they're doing marketing. Now with Kazuma Kiryu requests going viral extra articles appear on all these big sites giving the game more publicity.

Namco's not looking for suggestions, they're doing marketing. Now with Kazuma Kiryu requests going viral extra articles appear on all these big sites giving the game more publicity.
If Namco wasn't looking for suggestions then Harada wouldn't have asked for them. This publicity will turn into disappointment if it was all bullshit from the start.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Kazuya vs the dragon of doejima would be a match for the ages

EDIT : Will only allow if heihachi appears as a side quest boss for Yakuza.

AAK

"Disappointment" of a handful of miniscule internet users doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things for Namco that sells millions of copies of their game. Their main priority was to spread the name of Tekken 7 accross as many channels and users as they can prior to release.

Netherealm/WB does this all the time. Asking people which characters they want for their kombat packs already knowing full well who is actually confirmed in the pack.

You also have to think about things from a logistical standpoint. The release windows of the DLC characters have already been established. Which means the development pipeline to complete each character is also set in stone to have them ready by that release window. They don't have the luxury to accommodate something so volatile like negotiations between publishers to use their intellectual properties within that timeline. Those decisions needed to be finalized way before a release date for the characters were confirmed.

"Disappointment" of a handful of miniscule internet users doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things for Namco that sells millions of copies of their game. Their main priority was to spread the name of Tekken 7 accross as many channels and users as they can prior to release.

Netherealm/WB does this all the time. Asking people which characters they want for their kombat packs already knowing full well who is actually confirmed in the pack.

You also have to think about things from a logistical standpoint. The release windows of the DLC characters have already been established. Which means the development pipeline to complete each character is also set in stone to have them ready by that release window. They don't have the luxury to accommodate something so volatile like negotiations between publishers to use their intellectual properties within that timeline. Those decisions needed to be finalized way before a release date for the characters were confirmed.
however minuscule the community may seem there has been a considerable amount of people that said they want Kiryu and a lot of people who even said they would buy the game if he was in it - as for release windows that also makes Kiryu fit perfectly in as the dlc would come after the next Yakuza release, and right before the next one as well. Everything makes sense about this

AAK

I'm not saying the DLC for sure will not be Kazuma. I'm saying whoever they'll be, it's already been decided.

I'm not saying the DLC for sure will not be Kazuma. I'm saying whoever they'll be, it's already been decided.
if it's already been decided then it wouldn't be Kiryu, because Harada was surprised at how much demand there was for him and didn't think there would be any at all from the west

Endo Punk

I'd personally love to see Kiryu in an eventual DOA6. Team Ninja already worked with Sega to add VF characters in DOA5 and they played really well and fit in with the DOA roster. I definitely see Team Ninja doing justice to Kiryu in DOA6. Damn, now I got myself excited that it may happen.

Loona

same. i'm afraid there's no way to tell, so we will have to wait and see.

edit: ANOTHER fan trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYI5CtZsDzc

Why do these things have so many scenes of Kiryu beating up crowds or using items, when that's rarely relevant to what would transfer to Tekken?...
Sure, toss in some boss fights and footage of Kiryu with different outfits or showing off his tatoos, but some things clearly won't apply to a different kind of fighting game, unless there's some Yakuza sequence where Kiryu beats up a bunch of guys equipped like mooks from Tekken Force mode or something...

Why do these things have so many scenes of Kiryu beating up crowds or using items, when that's rarely relevant to what would transfer to Tekken?...
Sure, toss in some boss fights and footage of Kiryu with different outfits or showing off his tatoos, but some things clearly won't apply to a different kind of fighting game, unless there's some Yakuza sequence where Kiryu beats up a bunch of guys equipped like mooks from Tekken Force mode or something...

beats me. i would suspect the youtuber thought the easiest way to cut the trailer was from just taking from other Yakuza trailers - most probably don't involve bossfight gameplay

Top Bottom