• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (New Album 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Day is awesome. I'm looking forward to the new disc.

All the haters are wrong, Warning is easily their best album.

edit: LOL at the omg rite musical evaluation pic.

Karakand said:
2cyr576.png
:lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I like it well enough. I'm certainly looking forward to the new album. We'll see how it stacks up in May.

RevoDS

I like it, classic Green Day, while still featuring a somewhat refreshing sound :) June couldn't come early enough

yodandy said:
Not saying they are anything alike so CHILL OUT

just saying, after seeing the cover, this is the 1st thing I thought of.

My%20Chemical%20Romance%20Three%20Cheers%20for%20Sweet%20Revenge.jpg

Lawsuit material right there :lol

Darko

yodandy said:
Not saying they are anything alike so CHILL OUT

just saying, after seeing the cover, this is the 1st thing I thought of.

My%20Chemical%20Romance%20Three%20Cheers%20for%20Sweet%20Revenge.jpg

They sound nothing alike, douche.

Rindain

Banned
I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

Awesome song, American Idiot was the best album of 2004, and perhaps my favorite of the decade.

I'm glad they didn't try to retreat from made American Idiot so great, but instead faced the challenge of meeting or topping it head-on.

eXistor

Green Day isn't what it used to be, that's for sure, whether that's a good or a bad thing is up to listener I suppose. I haven't heard anything from the new album yet and I like American Idiot, but it was fairly basic pop-punk. Warning was actually a pretty good album, just Green Day taking it down a notch. Nimrod is pretty amazing though and they did way more experimentation on that album than any of the others combined. It's also one of their best. The Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod trilogy is great and I doubt they'll ever hit those heights again. Still day one for the new album though.

yodandy

Know Your Enemy, the first single, has leaked, look around for it, its out there...

And man, I hate to say it, but meh, I fell asleep during this song, repetitive, boring...hopefully the rest of the CD shows some promise.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
This is further proof that for Green Day to be good, they need to call themselves Foxboro Hot Tubs.

American Idiot is actually proof of them being good.

On that note, excited to get home and listen, but worried considering you guys don't think it was all that good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
I sincerely hope this song doesn't catch on. I dont' want to have to listen to its repetitiveness for the next 5 months.

You're forced to listen to music?

Seriously, I can't remember the last time a song became overplayed for me. I'm talking years ago.

I literally just heard Lady GaGa's "Just Dance" about a month ago. I think it's been around for a few months, no? Took me like three months to hear "Umbrella".

I think in the year 2009 it's very hard to have a pop song get overplayed. Just don't listen to the radio or turn on MT... okay, well that wouldn't do anything anyway, but you get my point.

yodandy

TheRagnCajun said:
I sincerely hope this song doesn't catch on. I dont' want to have to listen to its repetitiveness for the next 5 months.

Agreed, as I posted when I had just heard the clip, all I heard originally was

"nanana enemy, nanana enemy, nanana enemy lalaaaa, repeat x10"

so, I withheld judgment, until hearing the full song, unfortunately, the entire song is like that, augh

I used to be the biggest Green Day fan, if i count all my singles and albums i think i can get to 20 something. But then something happened, Warning was released, and sure it was a good album but something, I cant put my finger on what, but something was missing. And then American Idiot was released an i really REALLY wanted to love it, i actually listened to it just so i could start liking it but it really didnt do anythin to me. I get the exact same feeling listening to this...

Tucah

you speak so well
The new single's terrible, but I really like the 21st Century Breakdown demo, so hopefully the album's decent.

alexthekid said:
I used to be the biggest Green Day fan, if i count all my singles and albums i think i can get to 20 something. But then something happened, Warning was released, and sure it was a good album but something, I cant put my finger on what, but something was missing. And then American Idiot was released an i really REALLY wanted to love it, i actually listened to it just so i could start liking it but it really didnt do anythin to me. I get the exact same feeling listening to this...
I think Warning is terrible. Outside of Blood, Sex, and Booze, it just feels totally soulless, as if Billie Joe was consciously trying to do something a little more mellow and musically varied (doesn't help that right around the time the album came out, so did the Behind the Music special in which he pissed me off with some dumb comment about Warning along the lines of "I DON'T WANNA BE A FORTY-YEAR-OLD KID!!!"). Nothing about it is offensively bad, it's just tepid.

American Idiot was really good, but I can't fucking listen to any song off of it anymore except for Letterbomb because the entire album was played to fucking death and ruined by idiot twelve-year-olds. And we all know my feelings on Foxboro Hot Tubs (but I'll say it again - best thing they've done since Insomniac).

Darko

alexthekid said:

its alright.. the only song i listen off it anymore is jesus of suburbia though, got tired of it really fast.

I AM JOHN! said:
I think Warning is terrible. Outside of Blood, Sex, and Booze, it just feels totally soulless, as if Billie Joe was consciously trying to do something a little more mellow and musically varied (doesn't help that right around the time the album came out, so did the Behind the Music special in which he pissed me off with some dumb comment about Warning along the lines of "I DON'T WANNA BE A FORTY-YEAR-OLD KID!!!"). Nothing about it is offensively bad, it's just tepid.

American Idiot was really good, but I can't fucking listen to any song off of it anymore except for Letterbomb because the entire album was played to fucking death and ruined by idiot twelve-year-olds. And we all know my feelings on Foxboro Hot Tubs (but I'll say it again - best thing they've done since Insomniac).

Yeah i know how you must have felt when you heard that comment, something similar happened to me. A long long time ago they made an interview on the swedish musicvideoskow Voxpop, i dont know when it was, but they(Tre Cool) were talking about how videos were supposed to be pictures that fitted with the music or something like that. As a bad example they showed some really famous video were a girl that was tied up to a chair the entire video was saved at the end, and the some helicopter sound even was added to the video.

Tre Cool said something like " A video arent supposed to be a fucking 3 minutes story". As a kid who tried to be cool and looked for deep things in a fucking Green Day interview i stuck on to these words and they were always important when i judged a musicvideo.

Do you think i felt like shit when i saw this shit!?!? I felt betrayed and that my whole childhood was fake(Think Santa Claus is not real reaction, but you actually cared).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G0Sq3lwtTs (When September ends video)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well, finally listened to it, and where as the song "American Idiot" was and still is fucking awesome, this one doesn't really hit me out the gate like "American Idiot". I still have hope for the album, but this is a little disappointing. Not a bad song, just not great.

I'm actually questioning the choice of it as a single rather than the actual quality of the song itself. I think in the listening of the album, it will be fine, as a quick upbeat rock song. I just don't think it works well as a single.

Darko

speculawyer said:
Here is the cool thing . . . apparently Green Day has been making up fake band names and renting out small clubs around the bay area and then playing their whole new album all the way through.

If I was on the ball, I'd try to figure out when/where the next on is.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2009/04/10/review-green-day-at-dna-lounge/

That said, the “Breakdown” material wasn’t all that impressive upon first listen. Many of the songs sounded like outtakes from the group’s previous outing, 2004’s Grammy-winning “American Idiot,” and only a handful, like the title track and “Know Your Enemy,” seemed destined for a future greatest hits album.

Part of the problem is that the new album, like the last, is a concept album, which means that fans will need time to learn and digest the storyline before they’ll be able to get the most out of the material. There was, however, a surprising lack of real stand-out tracks, the kind that made the last album work so well on multiple levels. To put it in terms of Pink Floyd (the king of the concept record), if “American Idiot” is Green Day’s “The Wall” then “21st Century Breakdown” may wind up being the band’s “The Final Cut.”

:(

warning is my second favorite album of theirs (after kerplunk, followed by insomniac)

i really liked american idiot. well, every song but the title track. whatshername was a great song

i'm really looking forward to this one

Tek

Here is one of the B-Sides from the Know Your Enemy Maxi Single

Link: Green Day - Lights Out

Another B Side is supposed to be released called Hearts Collide.

People seem to like Lights Out better than Know Your Enemy

lopaz

Banned
Tek said:
Here is one of the B-Sides from the Know Your Enemy Maxi Single

Link: Green Day - Lights Out

Another B Side is supposed to be released called Hearts Collide.

People seem to like Lights Out better than Know Your Enemy

I love it! The guitar tone sounds better than on American Idiot too. Has he started using his strat again instead of those sissy Gibsons?

I was a big fan of Green Day growing up in the 90s, but they've hit a point where it all sounds pretty much the same now. American Idiot was pretty good when it first came out but I think, for me at least, it suffered from its own succes. Being played constantly everywhere, it lost all of its magic.

Just heard the main track from the new album and it more of the same melo-cheesy balads with pretentious lyrics. One thing I've noticed while listening to previous Green Day records, Billie Joe is a terrible song-writer. Just big and out there with the same ideas and sentences coming back every once in a while.

However I'm a big fan of The Network and Foxboro Hot Tubs. This is the direction they should've taken, just fun music with not an ounce of pretentiousness.

Futureman

How are people big fans of the Network? That was such a dumb throw-away record (except for the FUCKING AMAZING "Roshambo").

JodyAnthony said:
warning is my second favorite album of theirs (after kerplunk, followed by insomniac)
Kerplunk? Really? Christ, next you're going to try and argue that 1039 is remotely listenable.

To me, the order is, has been, and always will be:
Insomniac > Nimrod > Dookie > American Idiot > Kerplunk > Warning > 1039

Haven't listened to Lights Out yet, but I'm pretty bummed now that I know that 21st Century Breakdown is another concept album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom