• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Death Note (Anime)...What happened after E25...***Spoiler Talk***

SPOILERS TALK:

I finished Death Note (Anime) from Netflix about a week ago and I think I'm ready to discuss my thoughts.

So E25 is when Light kills of L and Watari...after that the show nosedives. Did anyone feel like this? Near and Mello were TERRIBLE replacements for L. Why the hell did they kill off L for these two wannabes. The whole show I assume it was going to be a duel between L and Light, but instead they decide to kill of L who is possible one of the greatest characters ever. The interaction between L and Light MAKES the show. That's Death Note. But instead, they kill off L and subsitute in boring characters for what purpose? The ending would have been MUCH MORE memorable if it was L vs. Light. Instead we got this boring Near kid and Mello...lol.

I had to power through after E25 to the end. Also, Ryuk was sidelined so hard after E25. I felt he needed more presence. Also, Misa Amane served what purpose post E25? Like, the whole S2 was a mess. I don't understand why...

I just hope the Movie version on Netflix does service between L vs. Light.

Your thoughts? Did your attention drop after L's death?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think this was the common sentiment with both the manga and anime. Yeah, Death Note started losing me during that Corporate Arc, which was the lead up to L's death. I think the author just wrote themselves into a corner. The idea of Light "winning," albeit temporarily is interesting. But you just can't replace a character like L.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Pretty sure they were pressured to continue after
L's death

The final two episodes are pretty solid though.

I mainly read the manga but like the guy before me said everyone thinks that. I hated the ending i wanted light to outsmart everyone and win not die like that especially because of Near. If light lost because of L then it wouldve been fine but not to Near, fuck him.

Ninjimbo

It was a common a opinion at the time, so you're not alone OP. I thought losing L was a huge blow to the show personally. I liked the dynamic between L and Light too much and when L was finally gone the show lost a lot of what made it appealing. Having Light on the ropes and trying to outsmart everyone was what made the show interesting. Without his number 1 foil, Light had nothing to do.

I also understand that you couldn't really leave the story as it was with Light winning the showdown. I don't mind fucked up endings but I can understand why authors want to avoid them.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Idk, I liked Near. He was a more lopsided L. He wasn't afraid to gamble on suspicions, which is what helped him bridge some major gaps. L's downfall was hesitating for far too long and playing into Light's hands. Not to say one was better than the other, but I thought Near was a good complement to L's style.

Mellow's irredeemable though. I wish they actually teamed up instead of what we ended up with.

near

Gold Member
For me and Mello, L has been the only person we adore, and the only person who deserves our respect.

random25

The worst thing about S2 is that Light's downfall was the mistake of another person. Kinda ruined how the series ended for me, as epic as it was.

Shoyz

Agreed. Watch the Japanese Live Action movies (Specifically 1&2, skip 3) for a much better take on the story, IMO. The live drama is also interesting, but too samey to justify watching. Much better take on Near in it though.

What drove me nuts about anime Near was that they show how L figured Kira out, each step of the way, but Near seemed just borderline psychic, pointing at the TV and pulling answers from nowhere.

The one aspect I do like is that Near and Mello both play more dirty than L (obviously Mello moreso, Near's dickery is more subtle) and only through their inadvertently combined power and Light's hubris is he finally toppled.
Which I think sort of helps give L's demise the extra oomph of him not ever dropping his sense of justice that Ultimately led to Light trumping him.

But it's been a longtime so maybe I'm misremembering the circumstances. The show/manga does decline for sure but it's still not without its merits I thought.

aeolustl

isn't the rumor is that Shueisha doesn't allow Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata to end it after L's death? You can see how different it is after his death. This is why I like Bakuman much more than Death Note.

Niwa

I think it shows greatly how Light was depending on L, and killing him off prematurely
was a mistake which only led to his own demise.

That or I dont know shit about Death Note anymore because it was almost a thousand years ago since I've watched it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck that bullshit shit fest, fuck.

Once Light has the speech on top of the building, about the world becoming a new place, DEATH NOTES ENDS.

IT FUCKING ENDS.

Linkark07

Banned
Series should have ended after L died. Near and Mello (especially Near) were shitty replacements.

At least, they should have killed Near too.

Just watched Death Note for the first time a few weeks ago and I agree, L was a great Nemesis, everything after felt like dragging.

Kneefoil

I've heard a lot of people say that, but I personally didn't mind the change. That being said, I was in my teens, and it's been ten years since I watched it. My tastes have changed a lot since then.

ST2K

I think there's something to that back third of the series, where Light gets overconfident and gets snuffed out in a very satisfying manner.

But yes, it's definitely a major road bump, if nothing else.

BriGuy

It's been awhile since I've watched it so I may be totally off base here, but there's a funeral scene that I don't think was part of any episode. Everyone says their farewells to L and Light stays behind, only to bust out into manical laughter and gloating. It then cuts to a montage of basically everyone dying a gruesome death and ends with Light proclaiming himself the God of the new world. I thought that would have marked an awesome end to the series.

Galava

I really enjoyed the japanese live action Death Note saga.

The first movie (2006) is really nice (drama budget, ryuk is great though).
Then the sequel "Death Note: The Last Name" continues the story.
L: Change the world is the next sequel that finishes up the story.

And then there is "Death Note: Light up the new world", which is the final "conclusion" of the story (6 death notes appear at the same time on earth, chaos ensues, it's not as cheesy as it sounds).
This time is actual "movie-budget" with nice visuals and acting.

(With Light up the new world, do not forget to watch the mini episodes that acts as a prologue to the movie).

I think you will like this saga if you liked L vs Light and want more (and different outcomes).

There's a variety of reasons for the move.

1) L dying is a shock that no one saw coming.

2) He dies because he's too moral. Light mentions that the easiest thing to do would be to trust his intuition and just have Light and Misa killed. Then wait to see if the killings stop (which they would). But L takes the high road and screws himself. Near and Mello win because they push that boundary.

3) It flips the script so the cops are on the run while Light has the advantage.

Also you should read the ending, it's way better than the anime ending.
Light goes out like a whiny punk like he always was instead of getting some overture.

Kazuhira

I think that's a pretty popular opinion,personally i didn't care for any of the new characters that were introduced after L died,except for Gevanni because the dude was pretty efficient in his work like copying the book perfectly among other things.

It's been awhile since I've watched it so I may be totally off base here, but there's a funeral scene that I don't think was part of any episode. Everyone says their farewells to L and Light stays behind, only to bust out into manical laughter and gloating. It then cuts to a montage of basically everyone dying a gruesome death and ends with Light proclaiming himself the God of the new world. I thought that would have marked an awesome end to the series.
That would have been controversial.

caliph95

Especially since it goes against the point of the show and glorifies Light

Boke1879

L dying is fine. Even replacing him is fine. They just fucking stretched it out way too long. I'm cool with the ending. Light fucking deserved to die.

But to get to that point is just full of pointless bullshit.

Paltheos

Idk, I liked Near. He was a more lopsided L. He wasn't afraid to gamble on suspicions, which is what helped him bridge some major gaps. L's downfall was hesitating for far too long and playing into Light's hands. Not to say one was better than the other, but I thought Near was a good complement to L's style.

Mellow's irredeemable though. I wish they actually teamed up instead of what we ended up with.

? The exact opposite is true and what endears L to so many people. L's this brilliant guy who takes incredibly dangerous risks. He openly introduces himself and sticks around his strongest suspect in a murder case where the weapon is entirely unknown and seemingly imperceptible. Shit takes balls. Near is the exact opposite of that - He hates taking risks. IIRC he actually says so himself. Instead he lets Mellow do the dangerous work and shows himself only when his victory's guaranteed.

Servbot24

Banned
It's still a good show after 25. They could have made it work a lot better if they established while L was still alive that he had been training his replacements as insurance for his death. As the show did it it seemed like they were just shoving in some cheap replacements.

Also, the last two episodes are fantastic. Up there with best moments of the entire series.

Especially since it goes against the point of the show and glorifies Light

That doesn't glorify Light. It shows him as a victorious villain. I think it would have been a pretty neat ending, though I'm also happy with the one we got.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
? The exact opposite is true and what endears L to so many people. L's this brilliant guy who takes incredibly dangerous risks. He openly introduces himself and sticks around his strongest suspect in a murder case where the weapon is entirely unknown and seemingly imperceptible. Shit takes balls. Near is the exact opposite of that - He hates taking risks. IIRC he actually says so himself. Instead he lets Mellow do the dangerous work and shows himself only when his victory's guaranteed.
L: "There's maybe a 5% chance Light is Kira. Let me introduce myself to him and monitor him in person for 20+ episodes until I die."
Near: "There's maybe a 5% chance Light is Kira. Let's act on this suspicion by alerting his teammates and sow chaos in his ranks."

Let's not pretend the reasoning behind L revealing himself wasn't just some bs so that L and Light could actually meet and have the plot progress. Just like how Near acting on his 5% guesses and being right over and over again were asspulls. But I digress. Near was willing to risk his own team over and over again. Especially that dude that tailed the prosecutor even to his gym and swapped notebooks. Just because he didn't risk his own life until the very end (because he is the KEY member of his side) doesn't mean he wasn't risky. Whereas L was more noble and wanted to save as many people as possible, leading to his downfall and the end result of saving no one.

Replicant

L was too moral and got too close to his target to the detriment of his own life. Near was willing to play on the gambit and refuses to trust Light or even getting too close to the guy.

Light giving swimming instructions at the end made it all worthwhile

This. Him dying pathetically like a fish out of water doing backstroke was glorious sight to behold. In the end, Light was nothing more than entertainment (and snack source) for the real God of the story, Ryuk.

MechaX

Personally, I get why Light had to lose in the end (if anything, if he just gets off free and rules the world, it would lessen the fact that Ryuk gave him the Death Note as a bargain in the first place; in exchange for power, Ryuk is definitely going to kill him eventually).

It just sucks because Near and Mello were just not even a 1/3rd as good as L was, which made the last third of the series drag on painfully.

Tuck

After L dies it isn't as good, but I still liked it.

L had to die - it was such a good twist. But it couldn't reasonably end there either. In the end, Light had to lose.

The problem isn't that L died and they kept going, its just that L's replacements werent particularly good.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Mello is cool. As much as people say the series dragged on they actually rushed a fair amount of his stuff if I remember the manga correctly.

Near and Mello combined are basically L+ - Near does the whole detached rationalisation thing to a further extent, and Mello goes further with the risky manoeuvres.

decisions

Death Note is a huge tragedy because of this.

L should've faked his death or something. Light losing to someone other than L is just not satisfying for the viewer after the first half.

I'm surprised they haven't done a "Death Note Redux" where they just string the chess match between L and Light out longer considering the popularity of the series, its relatively short length, and the fact that everyone agrees the second half sucked ass, PLUS the author basically admitting in another manga that the show was dragged out without L for monetsry reasons.

Tagg9

I didn't mind that L was killed off - it was the manner in which he died that bothered me.

I find it infuriating that Rem wrote L's name down instead of Light, as this is what the entire series had been building up to - Light discovering L's true name and being directly responsible for his death (ie. writing down the name with his own hand!). Rem deciding to finally do it herself for "reasons" (Misa was not really in any immediate danger) felt incredibly unsatisfying.

Top Bottom