• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to use the Millennium Falcon chase scene as a modern day example to show off surround sound since it's a very active mix that has a lot of transitions from front to rear and rear to front. So the movie gets a lot of play for me.

Vagabundo

I'm with OP. I only managed to watch it once. Bitterly disappointing film.

It's a mediocre action film with just the trappings of Star Wars.

But you wont convince this crowd.

Toparaman

Banned
I don't think that an adult's disinterest in watching a modern children's film multiple times is a damning knock on the film.

Even Empire, for all the talk of it being dark, is a fairly light-hearted children's movie. But when you see something as a kid, everything is magnified.

Rogue One was more of an adult movie, and I found it to be utterly dull. I don't think the Star Wars IP is well suited for grown folk matters.

I don't think that an adult's disinterest in watching a modern children's film multiple times is a damning knock on the film.

Even Empire, for all the talk of it being dark, is a fairly light-hearted children's movie. But when you see something as a kid, everything is magnified.

Rogue One was more of an adult movie, and I found it to be utterly dull. I don't think the Star Wars IP is well suited for grown folk matters.
George go back to your R and R

Yeah I can fully acknowledge TFA is just a better film than ROTS for instance but I can rewatch that movie any day while I have no desire to see TFA again after the first time. It's weird.

Vagabundo

I think you touch on exactly why it's a bit disposable: they aren't breaking any new ground. But there's more...

As bad as the prequels are, you could at least get into the new alien species, new locations, new Sith Lords, etc. Trying to understand everything's place in the greater lore was interesting because it was all being helmed by the original auteur. Looks at the new pod vehicles! Look at the new robots! What the hell kind of alien is that? Look at the new force abilities we're being shown!

There's really no new ground in TFW; as you pointed out, retreads are abound.

People don't realize how difficult it is to take a shot in the dark and just make people believe this new alien race exists because you say so. That takes creativity, vision, conviction, and imagination. I don't really think anyone at the head of the franchise is trying to keep the lore growing in any kind of interesting way -- certainly not Rick Berman or Kathleen Kennedy. It's nobody's job to care about Star Wars at that level anymore.

It's the trade we got when Lucas bowed out; we got a Star Wars themed modern movie with all the trappings that entails -- political discussions about "mary sues" and cast diversity, depressingly forced cameos, dumb plots that make no sense, and shit-tons of CG. We also got a more earthy and realistic feel, because they figured fan-service was marketable, and we got better pacing because there was accountability were there used to be an all-powerful turbo nerd at the helm. But most of all, we got an utterly forgettable and shallow experience, which is Hollywood's speciality, and always has been, save for the work of the type of auteur that, for all his faults, Lucas was.

Edit: This all said, TFW is better as a standalone movie than the prequels. Can't get with you there. I never want to watch the prequels again unless it's bad movie night and I'm with some stoned friends.

Agree with most of this except: pacing was not better, and Rey was likeable but was far too competent and fucked up the force that - and inherent sexism - was why she was labelled a Mary Sue, but the problems still stand; they wanted her to be a very competent character but went too far, of course that whole conversation went to a shitshow because of chantards.

Lol pretty much.

"I watched these movies as a kid and loved them and watched them 50 times but don't care to do the same with this new movie."

Like, duh?

Eh, I've seen TFA at least four times now. It's fairly rewatchable for me. Yeah it's a repeat of ANH but that doesn't bother me, because I like the new characters and I like the new plotline. I also really like Rogue One, so what do I know, heh.

I think the original Star Wars would have never been a huge hit had it just been a "lighthearted" kids film.

Vagabundo

I mean, if you're just gonna make the same stupid argument that I already say in my post is a stupid argument, why post in the first place? It's kinda redundant.

Just coz you say its stupid doesn't make it stupid. If you're watching a film more than once there has to be something that brings you back to the table. For star wars fans that is the universe and lore. Something the prequels has tonnes of.

Jinroh

For me it's a love/hate relationship. I like watching the movie, I really do.

But I can't excuse that it's mostly a rehash of what's in the old trilogy, with huge inconsistencies, shallow characters and a total lack of background for people who don't read the books/comics.

But still, there's a little something that I find attracting. It's a dark star wars movie, and I find it original.

IrishNinja

TFA < rogue 1, and i liked rouge 1

the latter was a cool war movie, the former made me give a shit about SW characters...which i'd not done since a kid in the 80s

also don't watch movies that many times bruh

Vagabundo

the latter was a cool war movie, the former made me give a shit about SW characters...which i'd not done since a kid in the 80s

I was so burnt by TFA I never watched Rogue 1. Maybe I should give it a watch.

finowns

Let him do what he wants breh. I don't know how many times I've watched the Pitch Perfect movies
DSM was robbed!

For me it's a love/hate relationship. I like watching the movie, I really do.

But I can't excuse that it's mostly a rehash of what's in the old trilogy, with huge inconsistencies, shallow characters and a total lack of background for people who don't read the books/comics.

But still, there's a little something that I find attracting. It's a dark star wars movie, and I find it original.

But you called it a rehash, how can it be original? And the previous Star Wars films have been pretty dark.

Glass Rebel

Just coz you say its stupid doesn't make it stupid. If you're watching a film more than once there has to be something that brings you back to the table. For star wars fans that is the universe and lore. Something the prequels has tonnes of.

No, it's a pretty stupid argument because at the end of the day you're still watching a shitty movie, which is what people are admitting to when they say "at least it was original". If you're idea of "something that brings you back" is seeing the same universe and lore over and over again packaged in a shitty movie, more power to you. But let's not pretend that originality in itself is an indicator of quality.

Crayon

Dumpster fire post.

Seriously. You might not care for it, but it's not a shit film. At all.

I don't see lot of movies these days. Maybe you can point me to a feature length summer cartoon that was worse that year and I can recalibrate my standards.

ironmang

I mean, if you're just gonna make the same stupid argument that I already say in my post is a stupid argument, why post in the first place? It's kinda redundant.

Why is it a stupid argument? Expecting a new entry, not labeled as a remake, in a franchise to have new plot points seems reasonable.

HariKari

I like to use the Millennium Falcon chase scene as a modern day example to show off surround sound since it's a very active mix that has a lot of transitions from front to rear and rear to front. So the movie gets a lot of play for me.

It's well made, sure, but that scene is emblematic of a lot of problems the movie has story wise.

Because it's just serviceable.

Nothing to make it stand out, so it makes you feel like your watching Star Wars while it lacks the wonder and novelty of the previous movies.

Oh and most storylines in that movie are either a rehash of a previous one or just straight up boring and badly implemented.

Paracelsus

I watched the recent SW half in the bag reviews, and while they take a subtle yet not really big shit on RO they seem to like TFA very much, they even mention it in the Ghostbusters review as a perfect example of "soft rebooting".

Going by the comments here that doesn't seem to be the case.

The biggest misstep for me was the scene with the Rathtars. I really dont like that scene. I lose interest during that whole scene every time and dont usually make it past that before I lose interest and put something else on. Its probably the SW movie I have rewatched the least amount of times as well. I did like it but it has the least rewatching power of all but aotc IMO as well.

I actually have seen ROTJ and ESB like 50+ times a piece. They are comfort movies for me. I will throw one of them on fairly regularily to help me sleep or something.

But I feel it does have something to do with the nostalgia factor. The OT just makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I watch them. The only more recent movie I have watched a stupid amount of times like that is Starship Troopers.

I think TPM and ROTS hit some nostalgia points for me as well. They just remind me of a better time even though they are pretty shit.

I'm just at an age and point in my life where I'm a little stuck in my ways and there arent any movies that have that same kind of effect on me that make me want to revisit them so many times. LOTR comes close but still I only put one of them on maybe twice a year. 3 tops.

Glass Rebel

But it is at least an indicator of quality.

Something being new doesn't mean it's good. The prequels kinda prove that.

Why is it a stupid argument? Expecting a new entry, not labeled as a remake, in a franchise to have new plot points seems reasonable.

I mean, it does have new plotpoints. Nobody is denying it doesn't lean heavily on ANH but I've yet to see someone explain how that makes the movie bad.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Two years later people ITT still parroting the "at least the prequels were original" thing as if a)they didn't hamfist as many things as humanly possible arbitrarily to relate to the originals and b)that they still weren't dumpster fire films.

Vagabundo

No, it's a pretty stupid argument because at the end of the day you're still watching a shitty movie, which is what people are admitting to when they say "at least it was original". If you're idea of "something that brings you back" is seeing the same universe and lore over and over again packaged in a shitty movie, more power to you. But let's not pretend that originality in itself is an indicator of quality.

It's not stupid. The prequels don't bored me like TFA after the first act. I don't watch them like the OP, but still point stands if I want a star was buzz I'll dip into any of the other films. TFA just doesn't have it. It's so packed with fan services and recycled bits from the other movies without adding much of anything of its own, apart from its other many flaws, that it just a bored fest for me after Kylo takes off his helmet and Ren leaves Jakko. If you're into that more power to ya.

This feels extremely hyperbolic.

Not at all. I'm very wary about seeing anything else from Disney related to Star Wars. TFA was that big a disappointment for me and obviously others as well.

TFA is still the best Star Wars film.

166.gif

Crayon

I'm actually surprised to learn that any number of people like the prequels better. Those where insanely bad movies. The almost take on a self parody quality.

Edit: but I do understand the argument that they have value based on adding content to the collection of films.

I do think it's effective in what it's ultimate goal was but you're 100% correct when you say that you can get everything you're ever going to get from it after one viewing. If VIII doesn't take more creative risks then I think you'll see a lot more critics respond to it coldly. Star Wars required a safe and well executed return to form after the prequel disaster and VII was that to a tee.

lets please stop this prequel bagging bullshit. the prequels are not that bad. in fact i would say force awakens isnt that much better than attack of the clones or phantom menace and it is rethreading a new hope so in general its pretty weak. it doesnt even come close to revenge of the sith
I'm actually surprised to learn that any number of people like the prequels better. Those where insanely bad movies. The almost take on a self parody quality.

interesting because force awakens is self parody literally. or self copying. its the exact same movie basically.
Two years later people ITT still parroting the "at least the prequels were original" thing as if a)they didn't hamfist as many things as humanly possible arbitrarily to relate to the originals and b)that they still weren't dumpster fire films.

they were not. i regard return of the sith as a top starwars flick and the prequels tell a more complex story thatn the simple bad vs. evil which make them more interesting

aadiboy

Abrams is an ok director, just not a creative one. All of his movies seems to be piggybacking off of other peoples' work. And yes, I know all media is like that, but Abrams takes it to another level. He's basically a fanboy with an unlimited budget.

Glass Rebel

It's not stupid. The prequels don't bored me like TFA after the first act. I don't watch them like the OP, but still point stands if I want a star was buzz I'll dip into any of the other films. TFA just doesn't have it. It's so packed with fan services and recycled bits from the other movies without adding much of anything of its own, apart from its other many flaws, that it just a bored fest for me after Kylo takes off his helmet and Ren leaves Jakko. If you're into that more power to ya.

I mean, ok. You're in the minority with that but ok.

It's still not what the argument was about.

Crayon

interesting because force awakens is self parody literally. or self copying. its the exact same movie basically.

Oh absolutely. The worst thing about that is how it tried to both regurgitate e4 and work in plot points that were spread over the whole original trilogy. Father reveal, learning to use the force, etc. So hamfisted.

Vagabundo

I mean, ok. You're in the minority with that but ok.

It's still not what the argument was about.

Maybe I am, but there are dozens of us. Maybe more...

Its about the OP not wanting to watch TFA. People don't re-watch boring mediocre films. People like to gloss over the many TFA faults, like they did when it was released and continually resort to whataboutism when they are brought up.

I dont know what everyone was expecting. It's a Hollywood blockbuster by gg abrams

I like what he did with Star Trek and thought he would think a little about what made a Star Wars film a Star Wars film and not just make a generic action scfi space opera with Star Wars trappings. I never thought he was a one note director, but I don't pay attention to that sort of thing, although many on GAF did have a shit when he given the job.

iGeodude

I enjoyed it the first time I watched it and even at the of it I was critical of it. But I watched it again recently and it wasn't really that exciting as I remembered it.

I just hated how most of the original characters didn't grow past their original traits from OT. Leia is still leading a resistance, Han and Chewy are still just flying around in space doing their own thing, hell I think Luke regressed from his character in the OT because instead of trying to seek Ben out and saving him from the dark side, he just went into exile. In the OT, Luke was very adamant about saving his friends from Darth Vader, so why wouldn't he go out his way to save the "soul" of his nephew?

I think Kylo shouldn't have been Leia and Han's son, he should have been a young officer that admired Darth Vader and went mad when he found out Darth Vader will killed. Then he spent the next 30 years studying the Sith, rebuilding the empire and took revenge on Luke's Jedi Order. Horribly wounding Luke, so he had to escape and sit in exile. Remove Snoke. Let this new Kylo be the leader with 2 or 3 commanders he trained in the ways of the Sith. Think of similar to the Knights of the Round. They would have minor Sith powers. Nothing on par as Darth Vader, the Emperor or even the new Kylo.

I think Han should have been the leader of the Resistance, but when he meets Finn and Rey he starts itching for the old days then decides to join them on their quest and brings Chewy along. A new character should have been created to step in the leadership role and be advised by Leia, so that character starts being more prominent in later movies, pretty much Leia passing on the torch sort of thing. Leia wouldn't have been a part of the resistance, but one of the senators that helped enact it because they didn't want another Army of the Republic.

Ben should have been Poe's character, pretty much change Poe's name into Ben, and instead of being separated from Finn, they both should have found Rey and that's how they meet Han and come across the Resistance. Then write-out the Kylo Ben character.

Now I could go on and on, but I know I'm stepping into fan fiction territory. I just wanted to give an idea of how the movie could have been better without keeping our characters in non-development stasis for 30 years and how not to be a complete rehash of ANH.

Monocle

I don't have this problem. One big reason is the Star Warsness of it feels so right. The musical cues that punctuate little moments and support the editing. The tone and pace of the humor. The gorgeous lightsabers and lasers. The quirky background activity, with the clunky robots and weird aliens and intriguing architecture.

It all just works. It feels like Star Wars in all the ways the prequels didn't.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't have this problem. One big reason is the Star Warsness of it feels so right. The musical cues that punctuate little moments and support the editing. The tone and pace of the humor. The gorgeous lightsabers and lasers. The quirky background activity, with the clunky robots and weird aliens and intriguing architecture.

Yup, it's Star Wars distilled down to what makes Star Wars so great.

Vagabundo

God no. You live in opposite land. TFA has none of this. Once of my biggest problems with it. Music was terrible muted and worst of all the SW films. Humour was off. Kylo had no villian music, you always knew when Vadar was anout: duh duh duh....

I enjoyed it the first time I watched it and even at the of it I was critical of it. But I watched it again recently and it wasn't really that exciting as I remembered it.

I just hated how most of the original characters didn't grow past their original traits from OT. Leia is still leading a resistance, Han and Chewy are still just flying around in space doing their own thing, hell I think Luke regressed from his character in the OT because instead of trying to seek Ben out and saving him from the dark side, he just went into exile. In the OT, Luke was very adamant about saving his friends from Darth Vader, so why wouldn't he go out his way to save the "soul" of his nephew?

I think Kylo shouldn't have been Leia and Han's son, he should have been a young officer that admired Darth Vader and went mad when he found out Darth Vader will killed. Then he spent the next 30 years studying the Sith, rebuilding the empire and took revenge on Luke's Jedi Order. Horribly wounding Luke, so he had to escape and sit in exile. Remove Snoke. Let this new Kylo be the leader with 2 or 3 commanders he trained in the ways of the Sith. Think of similar to the Knights of the Round. They would have minor Sith powers. Nothing on par as Darth Vader, the Emperor or even the new Kylo.

I think Han should have been the leader of the Resistance, but when he meets Finn and Rey he starts itching for the old days then decides to join them on their quest and brings Chewy along. A new character should have been created to step in the leadership role and be advised by Leia, so that character starts being more prominent in later movies, pretty much Leia passing on the torch sort of thing. Leia wouldn't have been a part of the resistance, but one of the senators that helped enact it because they didn't want another Army of the Republic.

Ben should have been Poe's character, pretty much change Poe's name into Ben, and instead of being separated from Finn, they both should have found Rey and that's how they meet Han and come across the Resistance. Then write-out the Kylo Ben character.

Now I could go on and on, but I know I'm stepping into fan fiction territory. I just wanted to give an idea of how the movie could have been better without keeping our characters in non-development stasis for 30 years and how not to be a complete rehash of ANH.

Good post! I like your suggestions a lot and they sure would have been a heck a lot more faithful to the OT than what we ended up with

It's completely soulless, it doesn't invoke any sort of emotion from me. It's just... there. I am generally not into Star Wars so I didn't really expect to be enthralled by it but I also didn't expect to be so utterly bored by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom