• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One week after a heavily photographed brutal assault in Charlottesville, ZERO arrests

luchadork

Fair enough, I just opened the thread thinking someone died. Lynching is a word that has real history of sorrow and loss, and the gravity of that should be preserved in my opinion.

so its only a lynching if they die? i think the photos show what most people would associate with a lynching. a group of angry white people trying to kill a defenceless black person.

40Idny0.png

Slayven

Fair enough, I just opened the thread thinking someone died. Lynching is a word that has real history of sorrow and loss, and the gravity of that should be preserved in my opinion.

A black man was beaten by group of white supremacist, that is part of the history of the word. Your "He just got bruised up a little bit, lets not exaggerate" is what is disrespecting the word.

Damn, you look at the pics in the OP and your first thought is "Whew i thought someone died, the title should be corrected"? That is kinda of fucked up

Kevtones

It happened beside a police station. It's been a week. No arrests. Two have been identified by an online community. The cops have done very little.

You're splitting the wrong hair.

Blizzard

Banned
When I last asked about why news outlets weren't covering this, someone said the video showed a fight between two groups right before this case, and that's why it was a good thing because news outlets would spin it as a fight thing. I only found it on some local outlets.

Is that the case or has it finally been picked up in the news?

If you wanna be all technical terry about it. Lynching is a form of extrajudicial punishiment on black people used to promote white supremacy. So outside of the fact that this man is still alive, which he is lucky to be. This was an attempted lynching. They were in the process of lynching this man. He was being lynched. A lynching in process.

'Attempted lynching' is definitely a more apropos term.

It's fucking crazy. They found my boy who walked off with the bucket of gold from looking at like 2 blurry security camera photos. These cops just don't care.

*Takes a deep breath*

I was going to post something dripping with sarcasm making fun of "both sides"-ers, and "wait for all the fact"-ers, but...I'm just tired.

TraBuch

Banned
so its only a lynching if they die? i think the photos show what most people would associate with a lynching. a group of angry white people trying to kill a defenceless black person.

40Idny0.png
I'm gonna be honest, I've always been under the impression my entire life that "lynching" specifically meant hanging. Huh.

luchadork

They need a new a country. Preferably 5 o 6. One on each coast and break the rest in chunks that can be easily isolated.

not that its the right solution AT ALL but why dont more americans leave america? theres so many awesome places to live where youre not going to get beaten up by a group of angry white racists. you guys might really like new zealand for example.

Blizzard

Banned
A black man was beaten by group of white supremacist, that is part of the history of the word. Your "He just got bruised up a little bit, lets not exaggerate" is what is disrespecting the word.

Damn, you look at the pics in the OP and your first thought is "Whew i thought someone died, the title should be corrected"? That is kinda of fucked up
If I may ask, are you black? I'm wondering if there's a difference between those who have had their people hung by lynching and those who haven't, in terms of whether using it for a really bad beating cheapens the meaning and history of the word.

Webster says "to put to death (as by hanging)" but other sources just say killed, so I'm also in the camp that always associated the term with hanging (e.g. the dictionary example of men being lynched and women being thrown off bridges).

'Attempted lynching' is definitely a more apropos term.
Take it up with a mod then I guess. They were still photographing a lynching even if it technically wasnt successful in the end. Seems like a strange thing to be upset about considering what transpired. Ill leave it at that.

40Idny0.png

I was trying to have a polite discussion about this. I think this is unsuitable for that.

He was beaten with the metal tipped flag poles and punched in the skull by a guy who had brass knucks wrapped in a hand towel. He's lucky to be alive. He's lucky not to have a cracked skull.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The thing I'll never understand about racist cops is why don't they just burn a few racists who are bad at it and clearly get caught. Just to save face. I guess the answer is simply "they don't have to"

So fucking depressing.

'MURICA!
You guys need a criminal justice reform...
Ya don't say?

Blizzard

Banned
I think what happened is a bigger crime than the technical correctness of the title.
Yes, but in the era of fake news it gives ammunition to the other side ("See, it IS fake news! They technically weren't hung!"), plus the question of whether it cheapens the memory of those who died that way.

Slayven

If I may ask, are you black? I'm wondering if there's a difference between those who have had their people hung by lynching and those who haven't, in terms of whether using it for a really bad beating cheapens the meaning and history of the word.

Webster says "to put to death (as by hanging)" but other sources just say killed, so I'm also in the camp that always associated the term with hanging (e.g. the dictionary example of men being lynched and women being thrown off bridges).

Yes, born and raised in georgia where white people still talk about lynching on Saturday night which was literally an event for the whole family

Damn a man nearly died and we debating Websters. This is why shit never change, people don't care

Yes, but in the era of fake news it gives ammunition to the other side ("See, it IS fake news! They technically weren't hung!"), plus the question of whether it cheapens the memory of those who died that way.

So black people have to be abused in a persentable way.

OMG

Folks are so worried about the people that actually did the beating over the person that got beaten. "Allies"

Blizzard

Banned
This is the first time I've heard about it seem this incident. Why is nobody talking about this!? I'm shocked
I asked the same thing since I could only find local stories a week ago, and this is all anyone posted in the thread afterwards:

The full video unfortunately looks like two groups fighting, we know how some of the press would have swung that.

I guess the only bit of good news is the guy who got hit with poles has a go fund me that reached when I last checked yesterday over $136,000 for his medical expenses.

CNN actually had the guy on and went on about it for awhile.

I'm not sure if the full video mentioned is the same video included in the OP.

Yes, born and raised in georgia where white people still talk about lynching on Saturday night which was literally an event for the whole family

Damn a man nearly died and we debating Websters. This is why shit never change, people don't care
Then I apologize. I was also raised in rural Georgia, though luckily I'm young enough that I never heard anyone talking about lynching. I just wanted a perspective of whether it was offensive extending the term.

theWB27

Fuck a title giving power to the other side when they beat a man because he's black.

Miss me with that tired argument.

luchadork

I was trying to have a polite discussion about this. I think this is unsuitable for that.

I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. I don't think your 'discussion' adds much to the sentiment of the thread and comes across as insensitive and petty. Just my honest opinion. I'll bow out now.

Kevtones

deandre6.jpg

deandre4.jpg

These are two other attackers that have yet be identified. There are more photos online. Please help find them. Thank you.

Blizzard

Banned
So black people have to be abused in a persentable way.

OMG

Folks are so worried about the people that actually did the beating over the person that got beaten. "Allies"
I'm really not following what you're saying now. I absolutely didn't say black people have to be abused in a presentable way. :/ I said that because misleading news stories has become rampant and the reality is horrific enough to report accurately without resorting to the same tactics the enemy uses.

You're also attacking the same person who was bumping the original thread and trying to get more information, with only 2 replies (neither of which were from you).

BasilZero

So question....is the area around charlottesville safe? Like West Virigina and Pennsylvania wise or is this just exclusive to Charlottesville?

I might go near there for a business trip and well....one of my co workers who went to that area few months back said there were only caucasian people...and well I'm not one..so...kinda worried :X

Edit: Seems like from a interview video, he went to protest with some people and thats how he ended up in this beating :X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVDVS985E2g

That is really terrifying.

You're preaching to the choir about the gravity of the event, yet you are twisting my words to make me seem like an uncaring enemy. I can see this line of discussion is not going to be fruitful.

Protein

Banned
deandre6.jpg

deandre4.jpg

These are two other attackers that have yet be identified. There are more photos online. Please help find them. Thank you.

I can guarantee if one of these fuckers got body slammed in the streets, the cops would be at the assailant's home that same day.

Not

Banned
There's another thread right now on OT asking if I hate anyone. I hate the cops who don't care about this.

Slayven

You're preaching to the choir about the gravity of the event, yet you are twisting my words to make me seem like an uncaring enemy. I can see this line of discussion is not going to be fruitful.

Fruitful? You came in on some "well actually" bullshit, your first post not about the subject but the phrasing. You come off as not caring and just nitpicking to nitpicking. And now you pulling the "here comes the dogpile, enjoy your bubble" okey doke is not helping you

theWB27

I'm really not following what you're saying now. I absolutely didn't say black people have to be abused in a presentable way. :/ I said that because misleading news stories has become rampant and the reality is horrific enough to report accurately without resorting to the same tactics the enemy uses.

You're also attacking the same person who was bumping the original thread and trying to get more information, with only 2 replies (neither of which were from you).

Stop trying to make people walk on eggshells around people who take anything as a slight.

sangreal

TIL Emmett Till wasn't lynched because they didn't hang him

Slayven

I am not attacking you, i am attacking your use of respectability politics.

"Do it this way, or you won't get justice" is not a huge selling point in the black community. Hell the fact people still remember this is amazing in itself.

Hagi

I saw a video of one of the journalist who was at the scene or involved in some way calling the fbi and trying to report these fucksticks for federal offences. Bit ridiculous that nothing seems to be going on with it especially when you have one of the aggressors gloating on facebook.

Fuck this world.

Fruitful? You came in on some "well actually" bullshit, your first post not about the subject but the phrasing. You come off as not caring and just nitpicking to nitpicking. And now you pulling the "here comes the dogpile, enjoy your bubble" okey doke is not helping you

"Lynching" was informally used to refer to extra-judicial mob violence with intent to maim or kill, so that dude can miss me all the fucking way with"you're cheapening the meaning of the term"
Thats the last thing I have to say about it.

Quixzlizx

What is this?

"His brains weren't actually splattered all over the pavement #fakenews"

Words have meaning, whether you like it or not. Phrasing matters. Overusing a word where it doesn't apply is a good way to make that word eventually meaningless.

Why am I not surprised that this thread cant make it off the first page without someone with contrarian opinion disguised as some kind of moral conviction deflecting the discussion from the actual situation at hand. Its pretty annoying.

Slayven

Words have meaning, whether you like it or not. Phrasing matters. Overusing a word where it doesn't apply is a good way to make that word eventually meaningless.

Only to those that didn't care in the first place

29Emmitt-2-blog427.jpg

People really don't give a shit about minorities suffering

RPGCrazied

Strange. I wonder why he is getting away with this. Other ones being identified are getting fired from jobs, even the one that organized the event has an arrest warrant out. The one showing off his guns, saying he was going to kill people at the rally and saying stuff about Donald Trump's daughter/son in law, and the one crying on youtube(best part)!

Acerac

Banned
Add me to the list of people who wasn't aware that a lynching didn't explicitly refer to a hanging. At any rate, par far the course with the disgusting force America calls police. The sick part is that even this won't be enough to make people take notice.

Top Bottom