• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

JeTmAn81

I've been saying since day one, a Han Solo prequel movie is completely unnecessary and a bad idea

Nonsense. Han Solo's a great character with tons of potential for interesting stories to be told about him. If this movie sucks, it's not because it was a Han solo movie.

What if the applause was in regard to getting Howard rather than losing L&M, and it was more because they, you know, finally get to go back to work now?

Permanently A

This might be shocking to you, but some of us are actually not that concerned about building a cult of personality around our presence on a videogame forum

quentin-tarantino-golden-globes-2013.gif

What if the applause was in regard to getting Howard rather than losing L&M, and it was more because they, you know, finally get to go back to work now?

Some people want to place the blame at Lord & Miller's feet. And in fairness, some want to blame it all on Lucasfilm. Confirmation bias when reading the hearsay is a hell of a thing.

This movie was a bad idea from its very inception.

Just refocus it on Lando, salvage what you can, and aim for 2020 so you can tak your time and not rush out a Frankenstein monster. It won't kill us to go one year without a Star Wars movie, and I can swallow another actor playing Lando. I will never accept "that other" Solo, never ever ever never. The trinity can never be replaced.

numble

Yes, but we all know that's a nonsense quote meant to sugarcoat it.

"They applauded when they found out Lord & Miller were fired, but it's just because they support the movie!" Come on now.

There is no other way to take applause as a reaction to Lord & Miller being fired other than happiness that they were gone.
Because if the movie is cancelled or put on hiatus they would be out of work.

This movie was a bad idea from its very inception.

Just refocus it on Lando, salvage what you can, and aim for 2020 so you can tak your time and not rush out a Frankenstein monster. It won't kill us to go one year without a Star Wars movie, and I can swallow another actor playing Lando. I will never accept "that other" Solo, never ever ever never. The trinity can never be replaced.

A Lord and Miller comedy that focused on Donald Glover in the Star War universe makes too much sense to be made.

Isn't the fault of a "cult of personality" the cult, not the personality?

Hey, look: These boys have been enjoying themselves a pleasant ol' time with their lovely little react gif party, and it's kinda impolite to ruin that by pointing out the one dude who Got Off a Good One kinda/sorta botched the dismount.

Just refocus it on Lando, salvage what you can

Still the best call, I believe.

lN1EL8E.jpg

Toparaman

Banned
Obi-Wan, paranoid that the Empire is close to finding Luke, steals him from Uncle Ben and Aunt Beru. He flies to a nearby system and contacts the Rebels, but when a group arrives, it's the Empire in disguise. He clumsily fights them as he tries to get his lightsaber techniques back, while baby Luke climbs into the pilot seat and takes out the nearby Star Destroyer with the help of the Force. Owen follows in pursuit, and Darth Maul follows him. Hijinks ensue, blah blah blah.

Baby Luke children's comedy film when

Chivo shot Burn After Reading.
Fujimoto shot That Thing You Do & Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Kaminski shot Little Giants
Deakins shot O Brother Where Art Thou
Libatique shot Josie & the Pussycats

Bill Pope's work with Edgar Wright is often very, very fucking good.

I'm glad Lord & Miller got the guy who shot Arrival. And I hope the footage they got looks fucking great. I don't see what the harm is in having the comedy you're making look as good as it can while you're making people laugh. Not sure what that hurts.

Yes, but we all know that's a nonsense quote meant to sugarcoat it.

"They applauded when they found out Lord & Miller were fired, but it's just because they support the movie!" Come on now.

There is no other way to take applause as a reaction to Lord & Miller being fired other than happiness that they were gone.

It's definitely possible, and you're probably right, but given the amount of spin coming from both camps at the moment, and how even the "too comedic" angle turned out to be wrong, it's probably best to quote the entire leak.

The nice thing about this whole situation is production was so far along, so many people are involved it's going to be much harder for either side to keep things like this quiet.

Toothless

A new wrinkle to the Lord and Miller looniness: Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy's husband, retweets a story about how their firing is "looking worse for them".

https://twitter.com/mashable/status/879468940228997120

"Why the Han Solo directors shakeup is looking worse for Lord & Miller with each new detail: http://on.mash.to/2rVsDRK "

tISaHqr.jpg

If Lord/Miller really wanted to escalate this, I wouldn't be surprised if this retweet could be grounds for a defamation lawsuit. Marshall makes it look like a potential legitimate statement from Lucasfilm, considering his connection to Kennedy and the company in general. Could be argued he's trying to make it so "they'll never work in this town again," and thus, clear defamation. If it was Kennedy or anyone else high up in Lucasfilm, possibly breach of contract too since I'm willing to bet contract stated neither parties would negatively comment on the other in the case of leaving the project. But it's Marshall, so just defamation. Insane stuff though; doubt they'll pursue any course of action though.

Yeah, I'm not seeing those two going after Frank Marshall & Lucasfilm over a stray RT.

Especially since it appears one of em subtweeted the production with that tweet about being reasonable or whatever.

If Lord/Miller really wanted to escalate this, I wouldn't be surprised if this retweet could be grounds for a defamation lawsuit. Marshall makes it look like a potential legitimate statement from Lucasfilm, considering his connection to Kennedy and the company in general. Could be argued he's trying to make it so "they'll never work in this town again," and thus, clear defamation. If it was Kennedy or anyone else high up in Lucasfilm, possibly breach of contract too since I'm willing to bet contract stated neither parties would negatively comment on the other in the case of leaving the project. But it's Marshall, so just defamation. Insane stuff though; doubt they'll pursue any course of action though.

Good fucking luck going after the Kennedy's. They are gods in Hollywood and would have an army of lawyers in seconds and the brothers would be fucked. Since the brothers broke their contractual agreement I'm sure they are already in hot water.

Chumley

Banned

lmao going after Kathleen Kennedy?

sicario-you-wanna-die.gif

Mariolee

I mean, they ask you to be Lando Calrissian, you really gonna say no?

I guess you could, but that's a hell of an opportunity

You can absolutely say no, especially in this case. By signing onto be Lando Calrissian you not only have the pressure of living up to and being compared to Billy Dee William's swagger and rendition of the character (which of course isn't as big as the other Star Wars characters, but still...). In addition to that, you're also doing this in a film wher you have to depend on the other cast and crew to potentially not mess up the legacy of Han Solo as a whole. Again, a lot of pressure.

And that's pressure he doesn't really need since he has other films, he has Atlanta, and he has this new direction for Childish Gambino that budded from BtI and Kauai and flourished in Awaken.

It's also not completely unheard of. IIRC Leo turned down the role of Anakin for the prequels.

High risk high reward I suppose.

I'm pretty sure he signed up to play Lando, not Troy.

Yeah, you're right. Then it sucks we know for sure they were going for such a screwball comedy tone and-

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/22/ron-howard-takes-over-directing-duties-on-han-solo-film/
If there was a genre the directors were trying to impose upon the Han Solo film, it was more of a western than screwball comedy,

...oh.

Toothless

Yeah, I'm not seeing those two going after Frank Marshall & Lucasfilm over a stray RT.

Especially since it appears one of em subtweeted the production with that tweet about being reasonable or whatever.

Oh shit I didn't see that tweet. Well I did when it was posted but I figured it was just something random at the time. You're right there

All the updates are nuts. I thought if anyone would be pushing more for the Western, it'd have been Kasdan. But it turns out Kasdan was mad because whatever it is he and his kid DID write was apparently, in the hands of Lord & Miller being turned into

a) A way-too-zany comedy

that was also

b) way more like a serious western than what was written

even though

c) Lord, Miller, & Kasdan all worked together on the script before production officially started.

Like - what the fuck actually got written. Because according to the reporting that's been pouring out ever since the firing, this thing is too funny, but not funny enough, but too much like a western, which it was kinda/sorta intended to be?

What WAS this goddamn thing?

And what the fuck is it gonna be when Ron Howard gets done stitching it together?

In all honesty, I'm more inclined to believe that the sources on L&M's side are less skewed than those with LFL/Kasdan/Kennedy simply because they don't have to save face as much.

Toothless

92% on RottenTomatoes.

Book it.

My bet is a solid 73-78% with tons of people trying to convince me to check this out because it's "good" but I'll never bother seeing it because I'll be too bitter about my fave filmmakers wasting three years of their life on it to even be able to adequately assess it without bias.

I hope they got a bunch of acting coaches for Emilia Clarke too

Swear when I saw that headline hit my feed I thought for sure that's who it was gonna be referring to like "oh no. She already gets so much shit this can't possibly be—oh wait, it was for Alden?"

Although I can see an alternate universe where Lord & Miller play ball like Edwards did, don't get fired, get the film released, and we don't find out until the blu-ray that an acting coach was hired to help Ehrenreich with his performance via a fluffy bonus feature or whatever, framed as "in order to live up to the legacy of Harrison Ford, the best acting coaches in Hollywood were consulted to put just the right touch on Alden's performance" And everyone goes "See, faith redeemed, shoulda known they wouldn't mess it up."

But now the directors got fired Ron Howard got brought in and every day is a new crazy detail of a dysfunctional relationship that apparently didn't die soon enough and Alden Ehrenreich having an acting coach is just more evidence everything is fucked.

I think he's the guy that revitalized Will Smith's career and launched Jaden Smith to the A-list with critical darling After Earth.

Worse: I'm the guy who thinks Jaden Smith was a better Karate Kid than Ralph Macchio, and that his movie was overall a better made film than the original.

Monocle

Worse: I'm the guy who thinks Jaden Smith was a better Karate Kid than Ralph Macchio, and that his movie was overall a better made film than the original.
By God, he's a danger to himself and others. No sudden movements, dammit. Don't look him in the eye!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
KK said she wanted the movie to be a Western, so, what the funk? That doesn't make sense.

One of these days, there'll be a Star Wars non-mainline movie that is shot completely free of drama or issues.

It'll end up being the one that sucks

harrison ford is han solo, if mark hamil was han solo there is likely no movie to be made

there is no harrison ford thus there should be no han solo movie

Top Bottom