• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering our edgy days

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
hqdefault.jpg

...Fuck.

Fat4all

Banned
I was always too fat to pull off the look, so I never tried

but I consumed all the edge media and culture

it was a bad time

got over it fairly quickly

My "edgy" days were about 8 years ago, when I read The God Delusion and began to identify as an atheist. I was on-board with Hitchens' anti-theist rhetoric, and saw those who were religious as ignorant and needing to be reformed, or however you want to frame it. I was never "militant" and let people go about their own beliefs, but I internally (unfairly) judged a lot of people back then.

Essentially, I took in almost everything put out by these three:

Thankfully, I've grown since then and have a much greater understanding of the world than I did when I was so "free-thinking." I did learn a lot during the phase, but I am glad it was just that.

Oh, just remembered: I also liked (and still kinda enjoy) Coming Undone by Korn and Down with the Sickness by Disturbed. I'd attribute the latter to the Dawn of the Dead remake though.

Laieon

I was always the goody two shoes introverted shy kid. Never really had edgy days.
I don't like MCR, but I legitimately think The Black Parade is a fantastic album for the story it tells.

I was always the goody two shoes introverted shy kid. Never really had edgy days.
I don't like MCR, but I legitimately think The Black Parade is a fantastic album for the story it tells.

I listened to all my MCR music this morning....
I still love them and thing Conventional Weapons was a great send off.

1upsuper

Didn't ever have an edgy phase. I was the kid who thought that by recognizing the different phases and groups among my peers I avoided fitting into a cliche box. Turns out that's just another box.

Elitist1945

My edgy days (which was middle school) consisted of me making Hitler jokes all the time and thinking it was cool.

Really not sure what was wrong with me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My "edgy" days were about 8 years ago, when I read The God Delusion and began to identify as an atheist. I was on-board with Hitchens' anti-theist rhetoric, and saw those who were religious as ignorant and needing to be reformed, or however you want to frame it. I was never "militant" and let people go about their own beliefs, but I internally (unfairly) judged a lot of people back then.

Essentially, I took in almost everything put out by these three:

Thankfully, I've grown since then and have a much greater understanding of the world than I did when I was so "free-thinking." I did learn a lot during the phase, but I am glad it was just that.

Oh, just remembered: I also liked (and still kinda enjoy) Coming Undone by Korn and Down with the Sickness by Disturbed. I'd attribute the latter to the Dawn of the Dead remake though.

Dawkins is a legitimate important scientist and communicator. But old and cranky now. . Hitchens was peerless till he got Iraq disease. Who is middle dude?

GamerJM

Banned
I never liked Linkin Park or any of the bands that followed in their wake

Topic title just made me think of when I was a 4chaner senior year of high school with shitty political beliefs and I....don't want to go back to that

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
"I hate all music where the artist didn't write it themselves"

Ugh, what an insufferable opinion I had.

Yeah in high school I identified a bit with the narrator in The Stranger and I even liked Rammstein at one point, but I think that was mostly because we listened to it in German class. Grew into a new evolution of shithead young male in college trying to hook up all the time. I'm pretty ok with all of my actions after I turned like 21.

Edit: hmm I still like Tool but I also started listening to them pretty late.

Top Bottom