• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will robots take my job?

Sblargh

Banned
https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

There's a 0.78% chance that my job as a philosophy teacher will be at risk.

And everyone in my entire life including myself said that philosophy was a dead-end career. pff. Take that, i'm future proof!

Now, to find a job.
-
How about you, GAF? How dependant on UBI will you be?

CB1sZek.png

Glad I switch my major from accounting Jesus.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Physicians and surgeons - 0.42%

That'll do. I look forward to seeing robots as a supplement to my future job, not a complete replacement.

Sblargh

Banned
Physicians and surgeons - 0.42%

That'll do. I look forward to seeing robots as a supplement to my future job, not a complete replacement.

Physicians, sure, because you have to interact with human pacients and ask questions and interpret answers and such, but aren't robots really good at cutting people open?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The list wasn't specific enough, but what appears to be the closest (sales engineer) is 0.41%.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not really sure how to put my job in, but as a cashier apparently 97%.

I see cashiers getting replaced by self-scan kiosks and terminals nearly everywhere already. It's a job that robots will probably take over completely within 10 years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Physicians, sure, because you have to interact with human pacients and ask questions and interpret answers and such, but aren't robots really good at cutting people open?

Surgeons might have to think on their feet if something unexpected happens (I assume) and we're a long way from teaching a computer to improvise a solution to a problem. Anything that involves even a degree of improvisation should be safe.

There's probably a more short term risk of something like Kahn Academy replacing you.

Not likely.

Sblargh

Banned
There's probably a more short term risk of something like Kahn Academy replacing you.

I do think that teaching is going to be uberized sooner or later, but fortunetly, conservadorism will kick in because the culture of sending your kids to a school is too strong.

Sakura

Oh, uh... yeah. Yeah. That's... that's already happening.

Yea I know that. But it's not like the only thing I do is work the register. Also have to clean the store, receive stock and put it on the shelf, answer phones, etc. So I'm not really sure how to just put the job in. And at some point, even if you could make the registers automated, if you already have to have people in the store, it seems like it would be cheaper just to also have them do cash.

reKon

Banned
holy shit I'm so fucked lmao. Good thing i'm making a move somewhere soon. Wanting to get back into something more Finance related

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Less than 1% son

We good

Web content editor just displayed editors and technical editors, so 5.5%.

A lot of my job is fixing shit and setting up automation so I guess that sounds right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I do think that teaching is going to be uberized sooner or later, but fortunetly, conservadorism will kick in because the culture of sending your kids to a school is too strong.

Probably not. Khan Academy is great but can you ask it a specific question and even more specific follow-ups? Can it turn a lesson into a game or some other form that would benefit you're learning style? Ideally we'd move more toward individualized learning, as close to one-on-one with another person as you can get, as that's where you'll get the best results.

Art Director - 2.3%

I...feel like that's low.

Anything that requires creativity or improvisation is relatively safe.

4.2% for software developer, that's honestly more than I expected. Although what I specifically do requires a bit of creativity here and there too.

Omadahl

Banned
Elementary school librarian. Somewhere between .44 and 65%. It's a good thing my supervisor is proactive and has us implementing more technology education.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you type in Butt Man it gives you Packagers as a job. lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anything that requires creativity or improvisation is relatively safe.

Except when everyone else's jobs are fucked so nobody wants to buy anything creative

I'd say as a project manager my job should already be automatable - always ends up as an excel spreadsheet in the end. But in my experience PM is as much about managing the chaos which would be difficult to automate

Edit: how do they not have project manager listed??

5taquitos

84% for one of my job titles, 5.5% for the other. Not sweating it, just gotta stay at the top of my game and let the chaff suffer the fate of automation.

Fancolors

1.5%

I doubt people are gonna lose space to robots within art. At worst part of my skillset is going to become less valued as software becomes sophisticated enough to undermine a lot of required learning to enter the field and people will be paid less.

Also, damn

Sblargh

Banned
Probably not. Khan Academy is great but can you ask it a specific question and even more specific follow-ups? Ideally we'd move more toward individualized learning, as close to one-on-one with another person as you can get.

Not exactly Khan Academy, but if you remove the restriction of the physical classroom, then teaching can become something like a network of tutors paid by demand (something like EdX).
But then, as I said, the culture of sending your kids to a building outside your home so they can, among other things, socialize with other kids, is too strong.

Like, at the same time homeschooling is more technologically accessible than ever, pedagogy is also starting to distance itself from content to a more "learn how to learn" approach.

So school might kind of change its function from teaching stuff (that will be the job of things like EdX and Khan's Academy), but it will retain an important social function. All that said, what happens to the math teacher when the focus of school is socialization?

I don't think it will change tomorrow. But in, say, 20 or 30 years, school might resemble more of a community club with some ties to on-site tutors who are there mostly to guide instead of teaching.

Top Bottom