• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Kuksune

If you really want to interest him in Berserk and he doesn't want to watch the 97 anime, than just show him the Netflix Castlevania. It's much more accurate to the feel and tone of Berserk than the actual Berserk movies. I'd also say that it's a better product overall. I'd compare it to how Jacob's Ladder is a much better Silent Hill movie and much more faithful to the feel of the games than the actual Silent Hill movies.
I'm sure you know that Jacobs Ladder was one of The inspirations for silent hill.

But yeah, i'm going to show him The castlevania series too. I want him to experience Berserk first.

Yup, i know. But if he likes the movies then maybe i can get him to read the manga.
Anime route is fine for stuff like Jojo, but yeah if you can get him into the manga since the movies and animes are paced weird and cut too many things. I find it interesting that the manga actually spends a bit more time with the side characters, which I'm noticing on my reread.

Kuksune

Anime route is fine for stuff like Jojo, but yeah if you can get him into the manga since the movies and animes are paced weird and cut too many things. I find it interesting that the manga actually spends a bit more time with the side characters, which I'm noticing on my reread.

I'll just mention that there were some cuts from the manga and if he wants to find out he will have to read. If not, well atleastt he saw the Golden age arc and that's fine.

I'll never mention 16' or 17' though....

I'll just mention that there were some cuts from the manga and if he wants to find out he will have to read. If not, well atleastt he saw the Golden age arc and that's fine.

I'll never mention 16' or 17' though....
Golden Age movie cuts out some good shit though.

Momentary

Banned
Also Berserk 38 has been released. Snatched it up for the physical connection.

Also with code DH17 you can get the digital version for $6.50 or $247.00 for the entire 38 volume series.

That's not bad.

Also Berserk 38 has been released. Snatched it up for the physical connection.

Also with code DH17 you can get the digital version for $6.50 or $247.00 for the entire 38 volume series.

That's not bad.
IMO it's still pretty bad, but, relatively speaking... I agree.

Momentary

Banned
Hard copy of 38 arrived today. Kind of glad they decided to keep the covers the same. The spine of the book is different now though, because of Dark Horse's logo. It doesn't bother me.

I went ahead and snatched up the entire digital version on comixology. I couldn't help myself. The resolution of the pages are ridiculously high.

Mumei

Hard copy of 38 arrived today. Kind of glad they decided to keep the covers the same. The spine of the book is different now though, because of Dark Horse's logo. It doesn't bother me.

I went ahead and snatched up the entire digital version on comixology. I couldn't help myself. The resolution of the pages are ridiculously high.

Hard copy?

Capra

So how are those buying the digital versions now reading them? I was thinking of picking up a Kindle to read the rest (and other manga) on at some point down the line and I was wondering what I should be wary of - screen quality, battery life, storage, etc.

Famassu

So how are those buying the digital versions now reading them? I was thinking of picking up a Kindle at some point to read the rest (and other manga) on at some point down the line and I was wondering what I should be wary of - screen quality, battery life, storage, etc.
There's a(n official) digital version? In English?

tokkun

So how are those buying the digital versions now reading them? I was thinking of picking up a Kindle at some point to read the rest (and other manga) on at some point down the line and I was wondering what I should be wary of - screen quality, battery life, storage, etc.

Every few years I think I will start reading manga on an e-reader, and it always turns out to be a disappointing experience.

- Screen sizes are too small. I have a Kobo Aura One now, which is larger than Kindles and has a screen about the size of a paperback volume, and I still wish for a larger screen. Especially if it is a series with detailed art like Berserk.
- Since you can finish pages quickly with manga, the delay and screen refresh when turning pages is annoying.
- Zoom and pan work poorly.
- No color.
- There isn't enough storage to keep a large collection on the device.

I mostly use a 10" Android tablet now, and it's a much better experience. I only use the e-reader if I'm traveling or at the beach.

Orb

I keep TRYING to start the second season, but I'm legit frightened. I liked season 1, but i couldn't get through the first ep of season 2 when it premiered and haven't been able to muster the courage to try again.

Did they adapt the Slan or Grunbeld scenes yet?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I keep TRYING to start the second season, but I'm legit frightened. I liked season 1, but i couldn't get through the first ep of season 2 when it premiered and haven't been able to muster the courage to try again.

Yes. Season 2 is over.

They did and they fucked them up. If you want to preserve the memory of them as good scenes then don't watch the anime.

Orb

They did and they fucked them up. If you want to preserve the memory of them as good scenes then don't watch the anime.

I don't think I've ever been this like FLABBERGASTED at something being botched so hard

its stunning

also on the manga, this month's issue is the last one before the hiatus, right? miura is killing me with these constant cockteases at plot progression

HStallion

I don't think I've ever been this like FLABBERGASTED at something being botched so hard

its stunning

also on the manga, this month's issue is the last one before the hiatus, right? miura is killing me with these constant cockteases at plot progression

It went on hiatus last month. It will return this Winter.

As to the anime, there are a wealth of gifs out there highlighting just how bad it gets. The entire production fell apart.

its stunning

That anime is probably best enjoyable in the state of drunk as fuck.

Momentary

Banned
The comixology version of the manga is super high res. One volume is around 700-800MB which is great for tablets with huge screens and high DPI. If you opt for the low version it's around 150MB per volume and still looks great. I have a budget tablet with a 720p screen and it looks great.

HStallion

The comixology version of the manga is super high res. One volume is around 700-800MB which is great for tablets with huge screens and high DPI. If you opt for the low version it's around 150MB per volume and still looks great. I have a budget tablet with a 720p screen and it looks great.

Well if there is one manga that deserves the high quality treatment for its digital version its Berserk. My dream is a larger format physical rerelease with like hardcover. One day.

Capra

BfjMtA5.jpg

Whelp

Mr Git

I just didn't bother with the second series of the latest anime. That arc is best left in my head unmolested. Did they announce a continuation at the end as with the first series? I just want them to drop it hard so Netflix can pick it up since no one else will touch it

I just didn't bother with the second series of the latest anime. That arc is best left in my head unmolested. Did they announce a continuation at the end as with the first series? I just want them to drop it hard so Netflix can pick it up since no one else will touch it
I don't think so. It just ends with a card that says the story continues. No idea if they're doing Falconia/Sea God

HStallion

I don't think so. It sounds like the production really fell apart in the second reception and even if it got watched, people seem to universally hate and deride it. I'd say just let it rest at this point and hopefully try again in the future with a studio who know's what they're doing and is passionate about adapting the material properly. That or Netflix gets in on the mature animation boom that seems to be going on lately.

Mr Git

I don't think so. It just ends with a card that says the story continues. No idea if they're doing Falconia/Sea God

I don't think so. It sounds like the production really fell apart in the second reception and even if it got watched, people seem to universally hate and deride it. I'd say just let it rest at this point and hopefully try again in the future with a studio who know's what they're doing and is passionate about adapting the material properly. That or Netflix gets in on the mature animation boom that seems to be going on lately.

Okay cheers! Yeah I'd honestly not mind Netflix picking it up if the animation style was more Castlevania than their CG animated series - although even those are a huge step up compared to the recent Berserk monstrosity.

HStallion

Okay cheers! Yeah I'd honestly not mind Netflix picking it up if the animation style was more Castlevania than their CG animated series - although even those are a huge step up compared to the recent Berserk monstrosity.

Well Castlevania seems to be pretty well received overall and is getting a second season twice the length of the first "season". That and things like Samurai Jack Season 5 being as well received for its darker more mature tone bodes well. That and people seem to like long form story telling in all forms so I could easily see something like Berserk working. Either way I'd kill for a great adaptation.

Jill was trying to escape her life, though, and as a repetition on the theme with Rosine, Guts was basically saying that the escape that he can offer isn't really what she thinks it is. Isidro, in contrast, wasn't really trying to escape anything, in fact Isidro seems to have already more or less chosen his way of life before even meeting Guts, and thus he comes off as having a much more complete recognition of the responsibility that that entails.

Top Bottom