• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia "being paused"

Emwitus

Why don't they take Assasins creed IIs engine and make it less automatic? And probably make it more of a romantic/adventure?

Andrew.

Banned
Good. After Sands of Time I found that the whole series went steadily downhill. PoP 2008 was fucking atrocious (take your orb hunting quests out of my Persia) although Elika was hot as hell.

kenjisalk

It sold 2.2m units as of 2009.

You'd think that should be enough for a platformer.

It all depends on the budget. They probably threw way more money at it than they should've just based on the legacy of the franchise and didn't end up turning THAT much of a profit off of it.

Meanwhile the AC series is making them ROLL in it, hence the annualization of it.

I guess it could've been worse, we could be getting shitty yearly PoP filler titles using 2008's assets.

Vashetti

Banned
I bloody bought it. It's one of my favourite games this gen.

I really enjoyed it. I hate that it ended on a cliffhanger because we'll likely never know what happens next.

Dunan

I loved the original Jordan Mechner game on the Mac back around 1995:

prince-mac-003.png

...really disliked the PS2 games (the Disney-ish art style just didn't do it for me), but liked the bits of PoP '08 that I played. I got stuck and never went back to the game -- I really should pick it up again.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I bloody bought it. It's one of my favourite games this gen.

I really enjoyed it. I hate that it ended on a cliffhanger because we'll likely never know what happens next.

Well, actually we DO know what happened next. We got that Epilogue DLC, and it pretty much showed what could've easily been implied from a sequel - Elika gets pissed and leaves 'The Prince' and goes off on her own. Why did we have to see that?

The solution is simple Ubisoft, just give the world what it wants - a sequel to Nolan North of Persia. That game was ace and long overdue another installment.

POP 2008 was one of the worst games I've 'played' this generation. It makes pong seem complex in comparison. I hope they take the series in a direction that has more emphasis on gameplay. I thought sands of time was good

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How about we don't go back to PoP 2008 because it was a piece of shit and all style with no substance?

At least Forbidden Sands played well.

SeriousApes

I really thought Ubi were going to alternate between AC and PoP each year. But then Brotherhood came out that year and so on.

I liked PoP'08 kinda... Mostly for the art style and Elika (I have a crush on Kari Wahlgren's voice). They could have improved on it with a sequel.
I thought Forgotten Sands was pretty enjoyable. It had more involving platforming. Though I would have preferred those mechanics worked into the Nolan North PoP universe.

Forgotten Sands was a fine game that redeemed the series after the insultingly bad PoP2008, but I can see why they'd want to put the franchise into cryo for now. The popularity isn't what it used to be and it needs more than just a "fine game" to make it relevant again, really.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's probably for the best. Let the recent guffaws fade out of memory, and bring it back refreshed.

Andrew.

Banned
Put it in cryostasis and then give the series to Ninja Theory so they can give the series a rebirth next gen.

Yeah Im serious, fuck the haters =P

Shinta

Banned
My support for Ubisoft honestly paused as soon as they abandoned PoP 08.

That was easily the best PoP yet, and I honestly can't believe they didn't finish out the story. For about 3 years I was sure they wouldn't leave it like that. Got excited every single E3 and was always let down.

jimi_dini

The solution is simple Ubisoft, just give the world what it wants - a sequel to Nolan North of Persia.

Yep. And they should also include multiplayer - Uncharted like. Oh hell, make the whole game Uncharted. Just like Tomb Raider.

PoP 2008 had Nolan North + semi-automated platforming already. That's how advanced they were back then.

FourMyle

That supposed screenshot of the new PoP reminded me a lot of AC. I'd rather they abandon the IP than turn it into AC, so this is fine with me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Expected, but fuck. PoP was one of the last big console franchises that I still cared about, and I'm really skeptical that Ubisoft will ever actually revisit it.

When do we get the sequel to this?:

That epilogue didn't answer shit. I need more.

The epilogue only served to ruin what is one of the most daring endings in gaming.
When I realized what I had to do
...damn.

Shinta

Banned
I don't really see a place for it in Ubisoft's future.

The traversal and combat elements that made the PS2 series popular have been incorporated into and evolved by Assassin's Creed, leaving PoP to be a less important series. The story and setting remain unique, but there's no room to design a game around them.

They were hardly evolved, but rather sharply devolved. AC is not a platforming substitute for PoP.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Someone spoil the ending to PoP '08 for me please.

Throughout the game, you're trying to cleanse this kingdom of this spread evil darkness (sounds fucking generic when I say it...), but in the Okami-style of cleansing where everything is now super pretty and not grimy and dead.

But to finally put the bad guy away, Elika (your partner) has to sacrifice her own life. She does, and the Prince is super upset. But then you make the same decision her father made which started all of this - you release the villain and his plague for the sole purpose of saving her life. It ends with you carrying her revived body away from the kingdom, with her realizing what you did. She then asks why you saved her life, and what it's worth when compared to the cost of letting the villain go, saying "What is one grain of sand in a desert? What is one grain of sand in a storm?"

Shinta

Banned
Throughout the game, you're trying to cleanse this kingdom of this spread evil darkness (sounds fucking generic when I say it...), but in the Okami-style of cleansing where everything is now super pretty and not grimy and dead.

But to finally put the bad guy away, Elika (your partner) has to sacrifice her own life. She does, and the Prince is super upset. But then you make the same decision her father made which started all of this - you release the villain and his plague for the sole purpose of saving her life. It ends with you carrying her revived body away from the kingdom, with her realizing what you did. She then asks why you saved her, saying "What is one grain of sand in a desert? What is one grain of sand in a storm?"
I even got this just for the story and the game is damn near unplayable, and hideously ugly. What a joke.

Prince_of_Persia_The_Fallen_King.jpg

Plot synopsis

Setting and characters

Prince of Persia: The Fallen King is set in ancient Persia, in a fictional city-state called the City of the New Dawn, where Zoroastrianism is the dominant religion. In the City of the New Dawn, the recently-liberated primary antagonist of the game, the god Ahriman, runs rampant and begins infecting the land. The game primarily focuses on the Prince character, and his companion, Zal, as the duo attempt to locate the king of the land, who they suspect can help stop Ahriman.

Story

Following the events of Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia Epilogue, the story begins with the split of the Prince and Elika. While Elika stays with the Ahura, leading the resistance against Ahriman, the Prince departs in search of the king of The City of New Dawn, in the hope that he can summon Ormazd, due to his affinity for the remnants of Ormazd's power. But here, the Prince finds a new ally, Zal, who introduces himself as one of the king's Magi and teams up with Prince to save the City of New Dawn from corruption and ultimately stop Ahriman.

Later on, Zal reveals that the King was split in two by the Corruption: into a corrupted beast and into himself. The Ancestor, a character that had occasional helped the Prince and Zal, guides them to find a special power to save the city. This power then fuses the Prince and Zal into one being that preserves both Zal's powers and the Prince's acrobatics. Together they face and defeat the king's monstrous half. The defeat of the beast frees Zal from the Corruption, but also causes him to perish. The Prince then frees the land from the Corruption by reaching the city's seal. In the end, the Ancestor leaves a message of hope for the Prince, promising that, in time, an inner power would be revealed and new ally would be found.

Sean

Banned
I'm part of the group that likes PoP '08.

Feels like that game was unfairly shit on just because Elika saves you from dying. Yes the platforming was super easy and all, but it was a really beautiful game and very relaxing to play.

Roto13

But to finally put the bad guy away, Elika (your partner) has to sacrifice her own life. She does, and the Prince is super upset. But then you make the same decision her father made which started all of this - you release the villain and his plague for the sole purpose of saving her life. It ends with you carrying her revived body away from the kingdom, with her realizing what you did. She then asks why you saved her, saying "What is one grain of sand in a desert? What is one grain of sand in a storm?"

She doesn't say that. Ahriman does. :p

Blades64

Banned
PoP 2008 I believe only got so much flack because you can't die in the game.

It certainly was an easy game, but man the concept could have difinitely been built upon. The combat and traversal improved would have been great. :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm part of the group that likes PoP '08.

Feels like that game was unfairly shit on just because Elika saves you from dying. Yes the platforming was easy and all, but I consider that a good thing. Really beautiful game and very relaxing to play.

I never got the hate for Elika saving you.

They eliminated the 'Game Over' screen as to promote exploration via the platforming, which is the whole point of the game. Some of those platforming sections go on for fucking ever. Having a 'Game Over' screen would only slow things down even further. The bullshit that "you can't die" was so dumb. You failed, you fell, and now you have to do the section over again. You died. They just didn't make you press a 'continue' button and make you go through a loading screen to reset you.

And in combat, if you "died", the enemy got all their health back. Which y'know, is what would happen ANYWAY if you had to reload after a 'Game Over' screen.

People need to fucking think about their criticisms.

Shinta

Banned
PoP 2008 I believe only got so much flack because you can't die in the game.

It certainly was an easy game, but man the concept could have difinitely been built upon. The combat and traversal improved would have been great. :)

All dying is in PoP is waiting for a load screen to start you over. PoP elegantly cuts out anything that takes you out of the game world and made it into a completely seamless experience.

Not only was it smart gameplay design, but they incorporated it into the whole story in critical ways.
You can only get past one boss by taking a leap of faith off the edge of a cliff and trusting that the real Elika will save you, like she always does.
The game plays up the romance between them extremely effectively in the story, the dialogue, the animations and the gameplay. The Prince even catches her after long drops, or helps her up during climbing, or she helps on your double jumps, or you carry her on your back when climbing on vines. It's one of the best pairings in gaming history.

Then of course all of this plays into the emotional impact in the ending as well.

Honestly, people who couldn't appreciate any of that are straight up idiots, and I've been playing the series since the first one on SNES. The game was brilliant.

Glass Rebel

Copying myself from a previous thread:

I've RTTP with this game and while it's really on the easy side and missing many things from the previous 3D PoP games I can't help but feel that they had something good going there and it's a bummer they couldn't improve on the formula with a sequel. These three things in particular I feel would be welcome additions to a new Prince of Persia game:

Open-world environment: It's difficult to pull off and the execution felt lacking in PoP2008 but in general I think a Metroidvania kind of world would work extremely well as long as they removed the collectathon gameplay and made it more challenging. In other words, traversing a huge interconnected Persian world would be awesome.

Elika/AI partner: Usually not a fan of gameplay-interrupting companions but I liked the chemistry between the Prince and Elika and they integrated her well into the game-mechanics (double-jump, combat). Barring some exceptions like waiting for her to help you with puzzles or her acting as a step-by-step checkpoint (which, to be fair, isn't inherent to AI partners) I enjoyed her inclusion.Take out the interrupting cutscenes to make her even less intrusive and you got a winner.

Few but memorable fights: I like it when games do this and they definitely had the right idea with it because I don't think many played the PoP for the combat. Sadly the execution is lacking here as well as the fights become formulaic pretty fast. I think 1on1 fights are the way to go but Ubisoft didn't try anything interesting with them. Maybe a Shadow of the Colossus approach where you have to "fight" an "environment" would have yielded better results.

It's true that the game was insultingly easy at times but they went around that somewhat with those shiny thingamajigs. Sadly there was very little incentive to actually collect the remaining ~200.

nullref

Whatever they do with the franchise, I'm definitely voting against a follow-up to PoP 2008. The game was really pretty, and the story was acceptable, but almost everything else about it was ill-conceived.

* Platforming was almost completely challenge-free. It looked cool, and felt OK at first, but before long the mile-wide input windows made it feel like you were playing an enormous quick time event. The environments required no ingenuity to traverse -- the intended path was usually spelled out for you to an insulting degree. (There were some optional "light seeds" that were hard to get, but that's a pretty lame place to hide the challenge.)

* I think the fantastical environments, which bore no resemblance at all to real places, were a mistake. They looked kind of neat, but an element of the appeal of the earlier games was the feeling of... transgression, as you traversed somewhat-recognizable architecture in a creative way. (Of course, this was an illusion, and you were using the levels exactly as the designers intended, but that's kind of just the nature of videogames.)

* What few puzzles there were weren't very interesting. The "magic plate" segments were also lame. Most of them required such lenient, minimal inputs that they were practically cutscenes, and the rest were just tiresome.

* The non-linear level progression was a gimmick -- the order in which you did the levels had no discernable impact on the game, making your "freedom of choice" totally pointless. Moreover, it seemed to destroy their ability to craft a decent difficulty curve, or to construct a satisfying progression for the story -- the build to its climax, the characters' reactions to their situation, etc. felt disjointed.

* I thought the choice to restrict combat to only 1-on-1 battles was interesting. But, it didn't amount to much. The enemies had limited, lame patterns, and the battles were riddled with "random button prompt" QTEs. There was a combo tree, but there weren't really enough battles in the game to let you learn and explore it.

(I had no problem with the maligned “no death” aspect, beyond its contribution to the overall lack of challenge in the game. It’s effectively just a really generous checkpoint system, with a cutscene to mask the reload.)

Shinta

Banned
Copying myself from a previous thread:

It's true that the game was insultingly easy at times but they went around that somewhat with those shiny thingamajigs. Sadly there was very little incentive to actually collect the remaining ~200.

Collecting all the light orbs was awesome, and it was really challenging to get to all of them. The final light orb was during the ending too and if you actually got them all it added to the impact. Many were unique platforming mini-puzzles to figure out. That's part of where the difficulty was in this game.

There's also an achievement for beating the game with Elika saving you from death only a few times, which isn't insultingly easy. People just ignored it.

They really messed that franchise up by first establishing a good series on Ps2/xbox and then completely rebooting the universe for ps3/360 and then backtracking and making a game that was a hybrid of the ps2 series + the movie.

Should have just continued the ps2 series in the first place.

Why do I feel this is a weird glimpse into the future of DMC too?

Top Bottom