• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Holy shit at that map. I didn't realise how much territory Rob controls at the moment. Almost more than everyone else put together.

Yeah, but you have to realize that holding the North is like holding Russia. You may have a lot of landmass, but it is mostly snow-filled forests. It doesn't really amount to much.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ugh. So maybe I just fail at interpreting this site, but I require a TV provider to be able to access HBO GO? I just want to watch at work :(
HBO GO is only for HBO subscribers. There's no other legal way to watch it online.

Zeliard

AGREED.

I hope the show doesn't get too magical. Last season it was great we saw the White Walkers once and the dragons were left as the very final scene. Obviously those two things will play a big part of the show going forward, but I don't want too many supernatural elements. The way this was introduced was slightly worrying. I don't want people to be able to fart out magical black creatures.

The great thing about this show is the human interaction. It doesn't need to start having tons of different supernatural things to keep it interesting. I guess it depends on what direction the books went in... (obviously don't say what that was)

I would think a woman surviving a blazing fire and somehow emerging with baby dragons perched on her shoulders should have indicated the direction the story would inevitably go in. :p

Also I get the impression that Melisandre is similarly unique to Daenerys, so far at least. It isn't like you see this sort of thing from too many people on the show. As of now it's just two, and Melisandre's strangeness was also communicated earlier when she drank that poisoned cup with no ill effect. Immunity to poison isn't quite some shadowy beast emerging from your womb, but it still conveyed the fact that she's pretty different.

Personally, the only thing this episode's ending did was basically serve as the final push to get me to read the books. Not that I didn't want to before, of course, but I kinda wanted to watch the first few seasons without knowing what's coming. But I'm a sucker for mysteries and the one this ep ended on is a doozy, along with those creatures beyond the wall. I'm too impatient to wait. :p

I was really excited to see Tywin again more than anything. I'm not sure why but I just loved the character and actor. He really is one of the more perfect castings on the show and was hoping to see more of him.

Yeah the actor has a screen presence like no other. Loved his entrance in the last ep, and his scene in the first season where he has that convo with Jaime while gutting and skinning the stag was one of the high points.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I love reading his thread and getting people's reactions to stuff knowing they have not read the books.

Great episode I thought. Cant wait for more.

Randdalf

I love reading his thread and getting people's reactions to stuff knowing they have not read the books.

Great episode I thought. Cant wait for more.

What I can't wait for is the Winds of Winter thread in
years time, and the reactions in that.

I still haven't figured out where in the episode he was supposed to be.

The tall guy choosing the Tickler's victims. They should have done a better job reintroducing the actor instead of making him look exactly like Amory Lorch (horseback Lannister who killed Yoren in ep3).

Yup. The (new) Mountain:

RXhdX.jpg

There's an explanation as to why he was recast back a few pages in this thread.

I read some of people's speculation about those questions the prisoners were being asked but were they supposed to make sense? "Is there Gold in the city?" Those questions just sounded like nonsense that was part of the torture because you could never answer it right. We've been coming up with additional stupid questions at work because we thought it was just a nonsense question. "Did you see her in the trees?" or "how much grass was there?" "what sound did the wall make!?"

aFIGurANT

I want to know how long it takes for him to be on Arya's stabbing list, myself. Thought it was cool that she has the Hound next to Joffrey and Cersei, that'll be an interesting fight if we get to it.

The ending was completely unexpected for me, in an exciting way and a worrying way. Let's hope this things isn't like the black fog in lost, I hated that. Dragons sound cool, but I don't want no invincible fog, I hate things that cannot be killed.

I hope the show doesn't get too magical. Last season it was great we saw the White Walkers once and the dragons were left as the very final scene. Obviously those two things will play a big part of the show going forward, but I don't want too many supernatural elements. The way this was introduced was slightly worrying. I don't want people to be able to fart out magical black creatures.

The very first scene of the entire series set up what kind of a show it is.

The Stark kids have Direwolf bodyguards.

There were goddamn zombies, and there were implications that giants existed in the frozen north.

This is a High Fantasy world in which the High Fantasy has been basically driven to extinction. It would be like dragons coming back in modern day.

1. If that shadow thingy kills Renly, I'm gonna be pissssssed

2. Robb appears to be really close to Harrenhal. I'm really hoping for a little Stark children reunion soon, but I doubt it somehow.

Martian

I also like that new city Qarth.
It seems like an awesome place. An oasis in the middle of the desert, and the only water for hundreds of miles. It probably has more power than meets the eye, because no one can enter unless they are permitted to enter.
One of the more fascinating cities of this book (albeit the other ones aren't bad either)

MMaRsu

Banned

Hehe awesome..

Yeah this episode was fucking amazing, tyrion doing more scheming etc I love that shit man. Tyrion is certainly the best actor and one of my fav characters in GoT so far. Ofcourse Arya is my favorite, I wish we could see more of her but I really like her storyline so far, very intrigued to see where they go from here with her. I actually received all 4 books so I could start reading I just have a hard time starting to read cause I havent read a book in years lol.

Imm0rt4l

"How good could he be? He’s been stabbing Renly Baratheon for years, and Renly ain’t dead."

"There's no cure for being a cunt"

Yoooo damn

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And that's not even to mention...

If you're going to write a spoiler that references the books or the series as a whole, in this thread of all places, please at least indicate how big of a spoiler it is and what it pertains to. Some people might mistakenly think you're talking about the previews or something.

The very first scene of the entire series set up what kind of a show it is.

The Stark kids have Direwolf bodyguards.

There were goddamn zombies, and there were implications that giants existed in the frozen north.

This is a High Fantasy world in which the High Fantasy has been basically driven to extinction. It would be like dragons coming back in modern day.

'Zombies', huge wolves, dragons, giants, are all physical beings that can be easily perceived as natural. Smoke man-babies from 3 days pregnancies are on another level of "mystical".
And I'd rather see the series continue with a political/familiar interests weave of events than a good x evil thing. But since the books are already written, I don't know how it works from here on.

Marvelous ep. As someone pointed out earlier, the fact that the show is generally so low-key and down-to-earth makes all the fantastical stuff that much harder-hitting. Every time something out of the norm happens, it just has so much more impact because of how scarcely that sort of thing is depicted.

The best part about it is that it makes you seriously start to question Melisandre's claims about Stannis and her own power. Up until this point, Stannis didn't really have anything going for him. He has a small standing army, nobody likes him and he's a bit of an asshole, but he's got something up his sleeve (much like Daenerys). While Balon Greyjoy has a tactical advantage in his favor, Renly, Joffrey and Robb have large standing armies, Dany and Stannis have some kind of a mystical power behind them that legitimizes them as a threat in in the world.

rar

Tyrion is certainly the best actor and one of my fav characters in GoT so far.

i don't think peter dinklage is the best actor on the show, he just has one of the best characters and some of the best lines. i think he does a great job, but to me his accent sounds weird and he delivers certain lines strangely. not a big deal, but i think charles dance, mark addy, and sean bean all have had better performances

Riggs

Banned
Oh my god just saw ep 4. Joffrey is fucking sick!!! I should of knew he would be some sexual deviant. I don't remember that in the book at all.

Also old mountain in hobbit? Wtf

rar

'Zombies', huge wolves, dragons, giants, are all physical beings that can be easily perceived as natural. Smoke man-babies from 3 days pregnancies are on another level of "mystical".

i don't think it was a 3 day pregnancy, we're supposed to assume there's a lot of time in between, like when ned and the girls went from winterfell to king's landing, that probably took weeks or months

and at least a shadow demon baby is slightly original. i'd rather we have that than more cookie cutter stuff like trolls and stuff

That's what's so great about the show: the fact that there is some magic and mythical creatury that is considered natural, and other stuff that is considered rubbish. It's a wonderful spin on High Fantasy.

And I'd rather see the series continue with a political/familiar interests weave of events than a good x evil thing.

How would it become good versus evil to have Shadow Assassins running amok?

Irish

but to me his accent sounds weird and he delivers certain lines strangely

I never thought it sounded weird because I never expected it sound like anything else seeing as how it is in a fictional land. In addition to that, I don't really find any accents particularly weird.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Oh my god just saw ep 4. Joffrey is fucking sick!!! I should of knew he would be some sexual deviant. I don't remember that in the book at all.

Also old mountain in hobbit? Wtf

Yeah, he's playing Bilbo.

And I'd rather see the series continue with a political/familiar interests weave of events than a good x evil thing.

Exactly. I know there are magical/supernatural elements to this world, but some things are more interesting than others and there are certain directions I wouldn't be too fond of them taking.

But like you said, wait and see. You never know, next season they might all be throwing fireballs at each other and I'll love it. *shrugs*

rar

I never thought it sounded weird because I never expected it sound like anything else seeing as how it is in a fictional land. In addition to that, I don't really find any accents particularly weird.

the rest of his family speaks with english accents, but he sounds like an american trying to sound english. i wish i didn't notice it. it's not as bad as littlefinger, who has no idea what accent he's trying to do and doesn't seem to care as long as he doesn't sound irish. i wish he would just speak in his normal voice

Yeah, he's playing Bilbo.

if only it were true, i'd be way more excited for the hobbit

i don't think it was a 3 day pregnancy, we're supposed to assume there's a lot of time in between, like when ned and the girls went from winterfell to king's landing, that probably took weeks or months

3 day was an hyperbole, but if we consider that all events shown are happening closely in time, she took less than 3 months to conceive, given Catelyn's journey and Daenerys arc.
If they have different progressions of time, I'd say the show does a terrible job demonstrating that. :p

and at least a shadow demon baby is slightly original. i'd rather we have that than more cookie cutter stuff like trolls and stuff

That's what's so great about the show: the fact that there is some magic and mythical creatury that is considered natural, and other stuff that is considered rubbish. It's a wonderful spin on High Fantasy.

How would it become good versus evil to have Shadow Assassins running amok?

Those are all questions that I don't wanna know the answers right now!
What are the Lord of Light's motivations and intent? What role will that shadow play in Stannis arc since he clearly won't be considered a true heir (given he is born an adult :p)? Merely an upper hand in the battle perhaps. But that takes it to the first question again.

Compared to all the characters set in the story til now, they have grounded reasons to be what they are. Unless Melisandre has full control of that shadow to play for her own motivations or all this play a minor part, it just adds something from another realm to the story. Which can directly affect "humans being humans" power quest to a "good and evil" clash. And while I expected a bit of this duality with winter coming and nightwalkers, I was more interested to see those that wear black and abide to no banner doing that fight.

Once again folks, please adhere to the rules as set out in the OP:
OP said:
Zb44O.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
Particularly the last part:
The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.
Book readers have plenty of other places to discuss the television series and the books. Thank you for your cooperation.

rar

3 day was an hyperbole, but if we consider that all events shown are happening closely in time, she took less than 3 months to conceive, given Catelyn's journey and Daenerys arc.
If they have different progressions of time, I'd say the show does a terrible job demonstrating that. :p

it probably just takes less time to carry a shadow baby to term

I think that Arya and Tywin and the possibility that those characters have to play off of each other is probably the most exciting part of the episode to me at least. Arya, for example, probably wants to kill him but also is grateful to him, while at the same time trying to hide her identity from him.

It's also unfortunate for Robb that he avoids torture in order to keep his sisters safe when Joffrey clearly does not care either way.

I wanted to see the reaction of Tyrion regarding the beaten hookers...

from the Hound as well... surely he could hear what's going on while guarding the door.
He seems to be extremely loyal, but even he has to have a breaking point. I can totally see him brutally killing Joffrey to protect Sansa.

Though it's very likely that Joffrey stays alive quite long, his character seems to only exist to enrage the audience and effectively so, keeping us interested.

JGS

Banned
I think that Arya and Tywin and the possibility that those characters have to play off of each other is probably the most exciting part of the episode to me at least. Arya, for example, probably wants to kill him but also is grateful to him, while at the same time trying to hide her identity from him.

It's also unfortunate for Robb that he avoids torture in order to keep his sisters safe when Joffrey clearly does not care either way.
He really doesn't care about Jaime in contrast to Robb. Jaime is always a question mark regarding his lineage plus Joffrey thinks it's his own fault for getting caught.

I'm excited about the interchanges as well. I think one thing they made clear this episode is that nothing is clear cut and I wholly expect that Tywin will respect Arya. I also expect she will learn a thing or two from him. Not to say that either of them won't kill each other by the time it's done lol.

I love the fact that the show is putting good faces on all sorts. I really felt sorry for those dufuses in the beginning and loved the banter between them (In fact, the wolf thing was kind of too horror movie like). I also like that the numbers really do not matter. Renly has the weakest army, Stannis has the second best thing to dragons on his apparently, & Robb is killing the Lannisters 5 to 1. plus by the time everything is settled there going to be hot dragon breath all over the place.

Riggs

Banned
I wanted to see the reaction of Tyrion regarding the beaten hookers...

from the Hound as well... surely he could hear what's going on while guarding the door.
He seems to be extremely loyal, but even he has to have a breaking point. I can totally see him brutally killing Joffrey to protect Sansa.

Though it's very likely that Joffrey stays alive quite long, his character seems to only exist to enrage the audience and effectively so, keeping us interested.

Edit sorry all honestly did not mean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom