• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

So glad there is not a forced set of 3. There are some people that are TOO BORING to play. Those Kazumis or Claudios who just stay on the other side of the screen and poke with that long-range punch that can't be side stepped?

No thanks.

Dereck

The scrub level on that last page was off the charts.
OnGTCza.png

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
---------
Question about Lee/Violet. I was trying him out due to his infinite swag, but he seems like he is high execution with no real benefit. Low damage, meh mix ups, etc. Is there something I am missing about what makes him good or not?

No, that's pretty much how I feel too. I mained him in T6 and TTT2 and he feels way less forgiving/good. Almost like a MUGEN version of him. He just feels off.

-He used to get a bunch more damage and mix-up from the older wake-up game.

-With bound you could 'dumb down' his combos a bit if you couldn't do b2f~N all day. Like b2f~N, 1, b2f~N, 1, then Cossack Kicks with Violet could get you most of the way there. It felt easier to confirm random stuff into mini-combos with bound, too.

-It feels like he isn't as 'fluid' as he used to be. It made poking with him easier. Like, it feels like a lot of his tools were pigeon-holed into one specific use. Like 1+2 on block you could do things to keep momentum going. Here they saw it gives counter-hit combo, so now you have to block after using it. Same with u/b3 which was kind of a pesky poke as it was mostly safe due to push back. But now you get a dumb little combo that's tricky to do so now it's punishable. Same with d,db,4 launcher.

I ended up dropping him for Lucky Chloe. I'll wait a while and see if anyone comes up with new stuff for him and try him again.

Those RageDrives whiffing was some anime shit.

So glad there is not a forced set of 3. There are some people that are TOO BORING to play. Those Kazumis or Claudios who just stay on the other side of the screen and poke with that long-range punch that can't be side stepped?

No thanks.
Kazumi | Long range

pick one.

GrayFoxPL

Pressure Gigas and there's not much he can do to fight you back. You can move and he can't. You can sidestep and he can't. "Endless punches" isn't really a thing. He's at disadvantage on almost everything he does. He has some delayable strings that might throw you off guard until you recognize them, but they are punishable. His jab is really good, and his best tool. But it's a linear and high move like every other jab in the game. Deal with it accordingly.

Don't throw out unsafe stuff willy nilly against Gigas since a great deal of his damage will come from punishment. And break that dang 1+2 throw!

I fought orange rank Gigas who overwhelmed me with his charge block stun moves that give him +forever frames and when he goes into charging after that and you gotta guess unblockable high or a mid that is again + frames, it never ends. I gotta learn that Gigas shit, lol.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So I just ran through all the individual characters' chapters in story mode to get all that unlocked and the two achievements acquired. And, well, is it me or is Lili a borderline psychopath creep with her obsession over Asuka?

The fact that the vampire girl got a story mode fight makes me hopeful that Geese Howard gets one when he's added.

Pygrus

Every day at work I listen to this games OST, it's just so good.

I really want to get this entry, but i know its going to be me just playing through the story and not doing much else.

This game has to be one of the best spectator fighting game though, its just so hype.

joeblow

I fought orange rank Gigas who overwhelmed me with his charge block stun moves that give him +forever frames and when he goes into charging after that and you gotta guess unblockable high or a mid that is again + frames, it never ends. I gotta learn that Gigas shit, lol.
I'm pretty sure you can parry both options in that mixup it your character has one.

I'm over here listening to the Tekken 2 ost and wishing the season pass mode was a Tekken 2 mode.

All T2 characters get updated T2 skins, and if they don't want to be fussed with inserting classic characters, the missing characters could be T7 characters in their T2 counterparts' skins (M. Raven = Kuni, Nina or Catarina = Anna etc). Recreate the opening and endings in real-time/in-engine and redo the stages with HD backgrounds.

Then the same with 3.

AAK

I'm over here listening to the Tekken 2 ost and wishing the season pass mode was a Tekken 2 mode.

All T2 characters get updated T2 skins, and if they don't want to be fussed with inserting classic characters, the missing characters could be T7 characters in their T2 counterparts' skins (M. Raven = Kuni, Nina or Catarina = Anna etc). Recreate the opening and endings in real-time/in-engine and redo the stages with HD backgrounds.

Then the same with 3.

Namco would never do something like this.... unless the Season Pass was at least $80.

Man Hei seems to intimidating to learn. Like I can see myself having fun with him but the work involved? Woof. I played in Tekken 3 and a little in 5, but I was nothing but a button mashing scrub then.

Paul? I can go braindead and just do whatever lol. That deathfist lives up to its name. But making a gameplan around that, even at lower levels, is quite fun all the same.

2 questions.

(i)What are some of Paul's weaknesses? Because he has a LOT of strengths in the form of an incredibly damaging 50/50 mixup, somewhat decent frametraps and VERY good whiff punishing.

(ii) Why aren't there more Jin and Lars players online and in the tournament scene in general? It seems like both these characters are extremely versatile enough that they can fit into the hands of whoever plays them, Lars in particular since he also doesn't have as high execution requirements as Jin.

2 questions.

(i)What are some of Paul's weaknesses? Because he has a LOT of strengths in the form of an incredibly damaging 50/50 mixup, somewhat decent frametraps and VERY good whiff punishing.

(ii) Why aren't there more Jin and Lars players online and in the tournament scene in general? It seems like both these characters are extremely versatile enough that they can fit into the hands of whoever plays them, Lars in particular since he also doesn't have as high execution requirements as Jin.

IIRC, Paul is super predictable from what I've been told. Like he's pretty basic and easy to read. I don't remember, but I think his lows are pretty obvious too so it can be hard for him to open up the cast.

AAK

@lucebruce

1) The concept of Paul is meant to be high risk and high reward. The mixup when you're in Paul's face is between Death Fist and Demoltion Man. They're both launch punishable on block at that range, hence the risk. Paul's other main weakness is that he's relatively weak against people that step to his right. But despite that he's still incredibly strong. Ever since they gave Paul qcb+4 I've struggled with the matchup.

2) There are quite a few Jin players in tournament play. As for Lars, I would assume everything Lars does, Shaheen does it better. A lot of the big Lars mains from TTT2 like Nobi or OnlyPractice have focused on their corresponding tag partner for T7 (Nobi does Dragunov, OnlyPractice does Nina/Leo).

Kashiwaba

Did they fix the game online on ps4?? It's working flawlessly now, match making is fast and i played over 8 people without any connection lost :) finally i can play this game online.

@lucebruce

1) The concept of Paul is meant to be high risk and high reward. The mixup when you're in Paul's face is between Death Fist and Demoltion Man. They're both launch punishable on block at that range, hence the risk. Paul's other main weakness is that he's relatively weak against people that step to his right. But despite that he's still incredibly strong. Ever since they gave Paul qcb+4 I've struggled with the matchup.

2) There are quite a few Jin players in tournament play. As for Lars, I would assume everything Lars does, Shaheen does it better. A lot of the big Lars mains from TTT2 like Nobi or OnlyPractice have focused on their corresponding tag partner for T7 (Nobi does Dragunov, OnlyPractice does Nina/Leo).
Thanks, good to know. I always figured he seemed like an incredibly strong character since a good paul player makes me shit bricks when he's near me, something no other character really does.

Did they fix the game online on ps4?? It's working flawlessly now, match making is fast and i played over 8 people without any connection lost :) finally i can play this game online.
Huzzah!

Paul seems strong because his Phoenix Smasher can take like 1/3 if your health with CH, so you have respect him. His two lows that turn into combos (both are punch commands) are easy to recognize once you get used to their windup. One has incredible kickback though! LOTS of his moves have knockback.

Namco would never do something like this.... unless the Season Pass was at least $80.
Scrap the redone intro and endings then. Then it's just skins and flat, HD, infinite stages with T2 music (that's already mostly in the game).

I don't know, I just really want legacy skins for Yoshi and I know a full-on remake wouldn't be feasible but a Tekken I like and a Crash remake came out in the same month. I received T2 and Crash 2 along with my PS for Xmas in 97 (20 years ago) so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic lol, especially while listening to the tunes.

Wouldn't mind a trip down memory lane as part of an expansion of T7. No need to change the game mechanics or add new characters. Just skins and atmosphere via backgrounds and music.

I'm still noticing input lag and outright input drops on PS4.

Could be my PS4 controller going south on me but...

It's pretty bad when at the start of the round I can press DF4 and get any of the following results:

DF4
DF (no 4, this one I get 90% of the time on round start, you actually see the character crouch for a frame or 2)
FC, DF4
D4
F4

Or I get used to a certain flow to combos on PC and go to do them on PS4 and it's drop city.

And that's all before online is introduced to the mix.

Frustrating.

Manbig

I would love to see KBDC go away. While I enjoy watching Gods like Knee, JDCR, and Saint make use of it it isn't what impresses me and makes me appreciate their level of play. It's their patience, their execution, their spacing, amazing whiff punishing from spacing, etc that makes it great. Sure add in KBDC to create that adds that cherry on top, but if the game just let you infinitely back dash by doing a back dash repeatedly as if it were a KBDC it wouldn't hurt high level play at all.

So you appreciate the masterful use of spacing and whiff punishing that some of the best players in the world do, but you want them to remove one of the primary tools that makes that level of spacing and whiff baiting possible?

*insert hmm emoji here*

So you appreciate the masterful use of spacing and whiff punishing that some of the best players in the world do, but you want them to remove one of the primary tools that makes that level of spacing and whiff baiting possible?

*insert hmm emoji here*
b7d.png

Was he asking for it to be removed? Or just simplified?

I'd definitely be ok with the second option. Until then we just gotta git gud.

Deps

I guess I'd be ok with simplified KBD, but if they completely removed it, I don't think I would play Tekken anymore.

The movement is why Tekken is so interesting.

shockdude

I could see adding new movement method, mashing back, which does a backwards walk/dash equally as fast as KBD but less painful. But that might cause other problems, I dunno.

Actually is there a reason we don't see KBD in other fighting games?

remz

I could see adding new movement method, mashing back, which does a backwards walk/dash equally as fast as KBD but less painful. But that might cause other problems, I dunno.

Actually is there a reason we don't see KBD in other fighting games?

other games aren't so stupid to base spacing your opponent around a super difficult cancel

Would it be considered counter productive for a noob trying to learn multiple characters rather than just one?

Since the game came out I keep going through honeymoon phases. Have done a week straight of Shaheen, before that Yoshimitsu, Asuka, Josie etc and now I'm interested in picking up Nina

Should I just be focusing on one or is it cool to spread out? My winrate is abysmal, over 200 matches and about 20 wins across all characters in ranked mode - I figure that's ok though because I'm still learning the game

AAK

Scrap the redone intro and endings then. Then it's just skins and flat, HD, infinite stages with T2 music (that's already mostly in the game).

I don't know, I just really want legacy skins for Yoshi and I know a full-on remake wouldn't be feasible but a Tekken I like and a Crash remake came out in the same month. I received T2 and Crash 2 along with my PS for Xmas in 97 (20 years ago) so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic lol, especially while listening to the tunes.

Wouldn't mind a trip down memory lane as part of an expansion of T7. No need to change the game mechanics or add new characters. Just skins and atmosphere via backgrounds and music.

The legacy skins is the root of the cost with your request. A DLC pack with unique skins of each Tekken 2 character would be around 20 costumes taking away characters like Kuma/Alex/Angel/Roger will be hella expensive. Just look at the pricing schemes of costumes in SFV and DOA5 to see how much publishers will price the thing. The Season Pass cost will not cover that.

other games aren't so stupid to base spacing your opponent around a super difficult cancel
Pressing db is super hard? Okay.
To all you guys crying about BDCing just Stair Step until you are good enough. Stair Stepping is cancelling a backdash with a sidestep. Way easier to do but less economical and effective.
Input is bb d bb d...

Dereck

To all you guys crying about BDCing just Stair Step until you are good enough. Stair Stepping is cancelling a backdash with a sidestep. Way easier to do but less economical and effective.
Input is bb d bb d...
I didn't know that there was a name for this.

I've basically been doing this for years.

remz

Input is bb d bb d...

Easier than pressing db? wow that is easy. It is even possible to be easier than pressing db in the super easy tekken backdash, I can't believe it wow

Top Bottom