• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Destiny 2 underperforms, 60%+ drop from D1

Turns out lots of people were not interested in a game only worth playing one day a week when loot resets.

Logging in to see what Xur was selling does not count as a second day.

Sulik2

Does this include digital? I really wonder if D2 is huge digital. I refuse to buy full price retail games on PSN and even I bought my first one in D2. It was such a pain having to deal with the disk for a game I played for over a year I just went full digital this time.

Salvadora

Really sad how some people seem so bent on this falling. Goddamn, your time could be spent so much more productively. You could say the same thing to me, but I'm waiting for my dog to go to the bathroom, so ner.
Conversely, these threads are littered with shouts of "digital!!!!" when all available evidence points to a large drop in multiple markets.

My god the Destiny hate is so fervent in this thread. I thought it was at least somewhat lower than it used to be, but I guess people were just waiting for blood in the water to bring the claws out.

dr_rus

I think its become pretty obvious that Destiny 2 is not a GaaS once people realized with the Bright Engrams are. There are no advantages, you can buy Destiny 2 right now and buy $10,000 worth of the eververse engrams and you will still be level 1 with nothing....you will have some sweet dance moves though

That's not what GaaS is, you're thinking about "pay-2-win F2P". GaaS is when a game is continually upgraded with new content which is mostly not free so you have to pay for each new extension to keep playing; basically, a form of subscription.

Recon Snarff

Neo Member
I think 3 years is a long time for the continued adoption of digital game purchases. I have purchased all my games online basically since this gen started. I know it is more expensive in the U.K. but I would be willing to pay more for convenience.

big_z

Ive noticed the die hard destiny players on my friends list only about 40% of them are playing the second game. Given not everyone buys on day one it does seem like the urge to play asap isn't as strong. It will be interesting to see if we hear similar sales in NA. Could be the battle royal aka pubg style games has taken a lot of the excitement away from games like destiny.

We don't have digital sales yet correct? There is also a huge platform launching next month.

I don't think you can say BOMBA yet.

I don't get the people in here driveby posting shit about hoping the game fails, there are people that REALLY enjoy Destiny and the game. Why would want that to be ruined for them? as a consumer you can choose not to participate if you don't like it.

the team based mentality we have for games and game companies and hardware is so crazy.

Some people really like the idea of the game but not the shitty anti-consumer practices that don't need be in it, so hope it fails so that the next attempt may remove them.

I bought the first on release only to discover that for 6 days of the week there was no reason to play it as you only get loot once per Nightfall, Weekly and Raid, which were the only way to progress character. Plus it was RNG, I still hadn't got where I wanted by time of first expansion due to bad RNG luck.

I managed to near max using first expansion gear but I didn't find the second expansion of interest as no new Raid, so didn't buy it. Suddenly I cannot even do Nightfalls or Weekly, or use new gear which replaced old (replaced, not in addition to...) so what little existing content the game offered was now taken away, leaving my game useless.

So there is my reason for hoping the sequel doesn't do as well. Hopefully game 3 dumps this shit. I ain't even gonna complain about microtransactions.

Ghazi

I get the feeling that a lot of people who bought the first game physical didn't like having to keep swapping discs years later and took the chance to go straight to digital with 2. I wonder how much higher the digital sales are, I'd be surprised if D2 sold less than the first.

Dynomutt

This is just Japan right? Why are posts implying that this is indicative of its success worldwide? Even with UK numbers.

In reference to US numbers and worldwide success:

What if people were waiting for reviews (which have turned out pretty well)?

What about a certain percentage waiting for digital?

What about those waiting for it on PC?

Also why do people want this game to fail so much?

This is just Japan right? Why are posts implying that this is indicative of its success worldwide? Even with UK numbers.

In reference to US numbers and worldwide success:

What if people were waiting for reviews (which have turned out pretty well)?

What about a certain percentage waiting for digital?

What about those waiting for it on PC?

Also why do people want this game to fail so much?

It's not indicative of worldside success but it certainly paints a picture where it's very likely that Destiny 2 will be down in retail versus Destiny 1 in several markets.

Destiny 1 had digital as well, 2s digital increase isn't going to make up the difference. Same with PC (both the Japanese and UK markets had the game down on just the PS4 itself, excluding last gen platforms). PC isn't going to step in and fill the gap of two last gen platforms and the decrease between individual platforms.

You really decided to bring that nonsense into this thread too? Even after it was pointed out how ridiculous you were being in the other one?

Eh, I don't think it's an extreme position to believe that Bungie should be shut down over using white supremacist imagery in Destiny 2, it's the straw that broken the camel's back for me. Bungie has been profiting off making a safe online environment for white supremacists since Halo online. It's where a lot of famous alt-righters and gamergaters met before their movements really began, because it was a safe space where they could say anything or harass anyone without dealing with any consequences. Hell I don't think it's a stretch to believe that if the Halo franchise never existed, we'd have Hillary in the White House instead of Trump. That's how much of an effect these video games have on our society.

But if you want to just stand by and make excuses for obvious racism, be my guest.

Eh, I don't think it's an extreme position to believe that Bungie should be shut down over using white supremacist imagery in Destiny 2, it's the straw that broken the camel's back for me. Bungie has been profiting off making a safe online environment for white supremacists since Halo online. It's where a lot of famous alt-righters and gamergaters met before their movements really began, because it was a safe space where they could say anything or harass anyone without dealing with any consequences. Hell I don't think it's a stretch to believe that if the Halo franchise never existed, we'd have Hillary in the White House instead of Trump. That's how much of an effect these video games have on our society.

But if you want to just stand by and make excuses for obvious racism, be my guest.

Ok this post is crazy. Did you not see Bungie's tweet about it? first of all the first time I ever even saw what was going on with that armor piece it was from them.

Bungie is not a single artist.

they removed it from the loot pool and are working on removing it from the game. What else do you want from them?

about your rant on bungie making a safe space for racist, I guess I am not up to speed on that in halo either.

Now you're definitely reaching

LOL, wow, i'm out of this thread.

The Wart

Hell I don't think it's a stretch to believe that if the Halo franchise never existed, we'd have Hillary in the White House instead of Trump. That's how much of an effect these video games have on our society.

I am experiencing what the young people describe as "not even being able to".

Good to see the Japanese know better than supporting racism.

Oh my god I am even less able to. Please reevaluate your beliefs about the centrality of specific online videogame communities to the structure of societies.

Okay we should top derailing the thread I guess.

.............Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Please.

image.php

Ok this post is crazy. Did you not see Bungie's tweet about it? first of all the first time I ever even saw what was going on with that armor piece it was from them.

Bungie is not a single artist.

they removed it from the loot pool and are working on removing it from the game. What else do you want from them?

about your rant on bungie making a safe space for racist, I guess I am not up to speed on that in halo either.

Donating all their profits for Destiny 2 to the Southern Poverty Law Center would be a good start, but honestly shutting down Bungie and creating a new studio with new executives to work on Destiny would be the best way to ensure that racism will not have a place in the world of Destiny, since it appears to have been apart of their company culture for more than a decade at this point.

Donating all their profits for Destiny 2 to the Southern Poverty Law Center would be a good start, but honestly shutting down Bungie and creating a new studio with new executives to work on Destiny would be the best way to ensure that racism will not have a place in the world of Destiny, since it appears to have been apart of their company culture for more than a decade at this point.

lol stop

Marty O'Donnell is that you?

KageMaru

What the fuck am I reading here?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

You sound very juvenile, albeit good intentioned.

Dalek

w39oqPw.gif

Van Bur3n

You heard it here first, folks. Halo caused America's downfall.

this really feels like a copy pasta. wtf am i reading. I could MAYBE understand this stance with smaller teams, indie devs. something as big as Bungie...lol. just a rogue employee.

Pepboy

Some people really like the idea of the game but not the shitty anti-consumer practices that don't need be in it, so hope it fails so that the next attempt may remove them.

I bought the first on release only to discover that for 6 days of the week there was no reason to play it as you only get loot once per Nightfall, Weekly and Raid, which were the only way to progress character. Plus it was RNG, I still hadn't got where I wanted by time of first expansion due to bad RNG luck.

I managed to near max using first expansion gear but I didn't find the second expansion of interest as no new Raid, so didn't buy it. Suddenly I cannot even do Nightfalls or Weekly, or use new gear which replaced old (replaced, not in addition to...) so what little existing content the game offered was now taken away, leaving my game useless.

So there is my reason for hoping the sequel doesn't do as well. Hopefully game 3 dumps this shit. I ain't even gonna complain about microtransactions.

Pretty much this.

We don't have digital sales yet correct? There is also a huge platform launching next month.

I don't think you can say BOMBA yet.

I don't get the people in here driveby posting shit about hoping the game fails, there are people that REALLY enjoy Destiny and the game. Why would want that to be ruined for them? as a consumer you can choose not to participate if you don't like it.

the team based mentality we have for games and game companies and hardware is so crazy.

Japan isn't big on digital sales usually.

I don't want destiny ruined for those who enjoy it. But I much, much prefer no other game like Destiny gets made, especially with the absolute paucity of content they try to foist on players.

As someone who enjoys single player stories and RPG elements in shooters, I paid $15 for Destiny 1 and felt I vastly overpaid. Maybe it had about $7 of content.

I could easily forgive a rocky launch if they came back and fixed the game for free. At the very least, the taken king should have been an apology and given for free as they misled so many people about the quantity of content.

Instead they nickel and dime, and lock any gear worth having behind DLC. I'm curious to see if D3 continues this trend given the lack of new content in D2.

Banned

Poe's law right? Please tell me this is Poe's law.

t hicks

Banned

lol are you fucking kidding me

After the first post i was certain it was just a great joke (because many consider japan pretty racist)

Now I'm not sure anymore if this is indeed for real or next level trolling.

Edit:
Nvm. After reading the third posts it's now obvious and unfortunately no troll
/s

legacyzero

Banned

You won't find a hotter take than this on the internet right now.

Straight NUCLEAR.

Pretty much this.

Japan isn't big on digital sales usually.

I don't want destiny ruined for those who enjoy it. But I much, much prefer no other game like Destiny gets made, especially with the absolute paucity of content they try to foist on players.

As someone who enjoys single player stories and RPG elements in shooters, I paid $15 for Destiny 1 and felt I vastly overpaid. Maybe it had about $7 of content.

I could easily forgive a rocky launch if they came back and fixed the game for free. At the very least, the taken king should have been an apology and given for free as they misled so many people about the quantity of content.

Instead they nickel and dime, and lock any gear worth having behind DLC. I'm curious to see if D3 continues this trend given the lack of new content in D2.

By Stallion Dan's logic, all endgame content in MMOs are scummy because they give you loot once per week

Top Bottom