• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

Lookit me, I am trying to wait for someone to come home so I can take the bus pass so I am going online to respond to things. Darn addictive internet! xD

Well, it is slightly more urgent than a standard student loan. I have 60 credits and by the end of this semester (if I pass) I will receive my AA, before continuing on to university in the Fall for my BA in Journalism and Mass Communication.

But I can't do any of that shit until I give them $6,000 I don't even come anywhere close to having. I work for minimum wage and the VA is actually withholding stipend payments (which is like 80% of my income) until I clear up the issues with the school. Just a really shitty situation.
Hm. I am not even sure how all of that works, but IF you will get your stipend after you pay them the $6000, is it possible to arrange for a short-term loan from the bank (or friend/family member!) to do this? You would basically be paying them back with the stipend, but it would keep you officially registered in the program and give you access to all the school support, right?

Apparently the therapist I should be going wants to only talk to me which is probably the most nerve wracking experience I can go through...Not looking forward to it one bit...I dunno if I'll do it or not...
Sometimes I'm not even sure if I have friends that care when I'm low. Just having horrible time communicating with boyfriend that I can't tell my mom about my depression and he ALWAYS brings it up every time I tell him about a suicide attempt even though I explained for nth time. Sometimes I feel I can't talk to him even though I should...

I'll try to reexamine how I punish myself, however, thanks.

Even if I do something wrong, it's always too late to mend it and people just look down upon me and criticize me.
Do you mean that they only want to assess you at first and get a feel for how much meds might help you? That could be the case (hopefully if they found that you were in great need, they will refer you to a psychiatrist or something after). But the talking, as awful as it is to divulge sensitive information to a literal stranger face-to-face, might help or even be cathartic in the long run. Put in the effort so you can say at least you tried--plus, it might actually help! Maybe your therapist will make good and practical suggestions for improving your communication strategies too.
It might be helpful to have that external support keeping track of your progress for you, and pretty much being a more "objective" view so you don't have to exhaust yourself with constantly being your own judge all the time (and trying to be an objective one at that!). My own view is that the therapist helps you over time to transfer their "powers" of analysis and thought organization and stuff over to you so you internalize it and then it becomes your own skills to use and gain control your life. And then they are always there in case you need a refresher on that.

If you do something wrong, and you try to make amends (I can't really think of an example where it's impossible to make amends--and if it's saying the wrong thing, you apologize for it if it was hurtful or wrong), yet all people do is criticize for the original action, that's not really on you to take. You did your part. Your due diligence/taking responsibility. If other people are stuck on nagging, that's what they are. Stuck. And you don't have to take that, and you can tell them to drop the subject because it's a done deal and it's not funny or helpful. A little self-righteousness or indignation is not a bad thing~! I am not sure who would look down on you and hold onto that view forever (unless they are judgmental in their personalities in the first place).
I used to think that everyone was super critical or judgmental, waiting to gaze down on me for everything (sometimes I still have that feeling because I am very self-critical), but the truth is that most people are probably too busy with their own things to truly look down on others , let alone hold onto any initial judgments for long. I think it is more likely their own self-defense reaction than actually thinking less of you--it's not personal to you, it's their own mess they're sorting out and projecting with.. and that's not really your responsibility to solve unless you want to.

I'm doing really good! I just found out I'm going to be an uncle! What an amazing surprise!
Yay~~! Congrats! Now your own son will have someone to play big brother to? Gaining lackeys? Haha~

Am i a good person

Do i deserve to feel like this
Most likely, or at the very least a person capable of much good! And either way, you are a person, which is intrinsically valuable in itself.

If you are talking about suffering from depression, then no. No one "deserves" that. "Deserve" is a very strange concept in itself and you do not need to use that metric on evaluating suffering from depression and other illnesses. I wish it was easier to disregard that metric when it's not require, since it's such a prominent concept in our search for justice or fairness (and just making sense of life), but it's not very useful in this case. I think it's fair and good if all people, including you, are happy and not suffering, and "deserving" it has nothing to do with it.

this is the most depressed i've been in about 5 years. on the plus side, at least i am not suicidal. and to think i was debating stopping my citalopram. it's not like it's even doing anything anymore.
Do you know the reason why it may have compounded? And if there is no reason, maybe you just need a higher dose or a change to a different med? Five years is a long time and changes might have occurred. It's good that you haven't been feeling suicidal though, which I assume you might have been in your past? Talk to your therapist or doctor about it as a checkup.

I'm not up for divulging it online publicly but this current problem of mine is really worrying me, so perhaps someone could drop me a PM?
I dunno how quickly I'd be able to reply back if it's super urgent, and I am not an expert if it's to do with meds, but I will PM you!

I don't really know if I'm depressive, but I do certainly have some "issues" that have been affecting me for a very long while, and in the last couple of years it has gotten worse. I have a very, very low self-confidence and self-esteem. But let me explain why; I'm a guy and I'm 20 years old. I'm 163,5 cm (more or less 5'4'' 1/2) tall. Yep, I'm very short. I've always been, despite coming from an average to midly tall sized family. Since puberty I have always been the shortest of my friends and usually just "the shortest" around. I think I stopped growing at age 16. To that I should add I'm a little bit childish looking, and while I'm not skinny, I'm very close to it.

It has always affected me, but since I finished high school and started the university it has gotten really really bad. My height is the first thing that comes to my mind every morning, and my last thought every night. Everyday, no exceptions. Hardly a day passes without me thinking about it and feeling miserable about it, and I'm not exaggerating, it is everyday. Seeing how almost everyone is always taller than me (and not just taller, but much taller) makes me feel inferior and uncapable of doing the things they do. Going out is always difficult, as everytime I see a guy taller than me (which is all the time, constantly) I think "I wish I was like him" or "I wish I had his height". And it gets worse, because I feel like everyone notices how short I am, I know that's the first thing (and always will be) they will notice about me. This feeling of inferiority makes me always look away or stare at the ground when I cross with people on the streets, specially if they're around my age. I see 15-year-old boys who are already taller than me, and that actually makes me feel very bad.

Now... as it is always the same issue when going out, I just don't leave my house or students residence anymore. It goes like this: classes-dormitory-classes. I don't go out unless I really have to (basically to go to classes and buy food). I'm alone constantly: I don't have close friends. And the thing is I don't feel like I want to have them, as I picture myself hanging around a group of people all of them much taller and just looking ridiculous. It's been a couple of summers now I have literally not left my house. When I started the uni there was a couple of things I wanted to do (learn how to surf, among them) but I just decided I would look ridiculous, so I just don't do anything. I'm on the computer all the time. I do a bit of exercising at home and that's pretty much it.

You may have guessed it by now, but anyway: I've never had a girlfriend, never been close to have one (and never had sex, kissed a girl or related, and being most girls my size or taller, and short girls mostly interested in taller guys, I can't see that changing). I've never gone to a party, never gone out on a Friday night, just name a social event and I probably haven't done it. And perhaps that's not it, but I blame my height of everything. Because if I were taller I would not have such a low self-esteem, and I would not be getting all paranoid about it.

That's it, if you read it thank you, I know it is a lost case. I'll leave you for now with a phrase I once heard on a documentary TV show about people and relationships: "Doesn't matter if you hit the gym, it doesn't matter if you get fancy clothes or a cool haircut. Just be tall." Haha, I guess I'll remember that my whole life.
It does sound like this esteem issue, which started off as a height difference has become an even bigger problem for you and affects a lot of your life. I think you realize you can't keep letting this dictate your entire life. It's unfair for you.
Height doesn't have much to do with enjoying surfing, enjoying outings, doing what needs to be done. I understand that you have a lot of anxiety as "looking ridiculous", but you are not going to die from embarrassment, no matter how much it feels like you might. People are not as judgmental as you think (and if they are somehow, it's better to pay no mind to those types as they have their own issues to resolve). Do you judge a friend for being too tall or too short? Would you not give a verbal beatdown to someone who would be audacious enough to tell your friend that he looked too "ridiculous" to hang out with you? That stuff hardly crosses people's minds among friends. It's one of those things you have to practice retraining your thoughts on so that it's not so important and overrides everything else in your social interactions.

The more you practice putting yourself out there and gain the experience of "that wasn't as bad as I thought and even if it was uncomfortable, it wasn't the worst thing ever", the easier it will get to guide your own self-perceptions away form being so height conscious. Maybe it's a far off goal, but in the long run, you could even embrace this and enjoy your height as a quirk or feature.

Maybe you can change that unforgettable phrase in your mind. Instead of "Just be tall", change the meaning and context to suit your needs. Agree that it means "just stand up for yourself, feel confident, have an assured posture". Because that's likely what it really is about in the end. I know females tend to gravitate to taller guys, but that's likely because they want to get a sense of being protected or something, but you can also project that to women by being confident and skilled and I think many shorter men are able to do that to attract all sorts of women.

(Also, 5'4" is slightly above average for a female in height, so at least you know you're taller than half of all women anyway. You're already taller than me!)

Okay.. back to tasks! (lol.. watch me be back to respond anyway..)

I feel like blowing my brains out now. As, I believe I have mentioned in the dating thread, I live with my parents but I pay rent. It was a mutual agreement but my father is taking advantage of this now and it couldn't have happen at a worse time. my dad has raised to the rent to the point that 3/4s of the pay I make a month is gone and that's not including school expenses. payday was last friday and I'm already at double digits. It sucks because I actually found someone that might go out with me.

I ask around and i can't afford to move anywhere else even with a roommate. I'm looking around for another job since last friday so we'll see what happens there. I asked for extra hours but no one will spare me any unfortunately. you know what the kicker is? I'm a christian alright and i was taught "give and it will be given on to you". so i paid triple the tithsfor the past month or so and guess what happens hours later? that bombshell I spoke of above.

I'm pretty much giving up on life now. I do what i can for people and this is how I'm repaid in the end? well,fuck.....

I feel like blowing my brains out now. As, I believe I have mentioned in the dating thread, I live with my parents but I pay rent. It was a mutual agreement but my father is taking advantage of this now and it couldn't have happen at a worse time. my dad has raised to the rent to the point that 3/4s of the pay I make a month is gone and that's not including school expenses. payday was last friday and I'm already at double digits. It sucks because I actually found someone that might go out with me.

I ask around and i can't afford to move anywhere else even with a roommate. I'm looking around for another job since last friday so we'll see what happens there. I asked for extra hours but no one will spare me any unfortunately. you know what the kicker is? I'm a christian alright and i was taught "give and it will be given on to you". so i paid triple the tithsfor the past month or so and guess what happens hours later? that bombshell I spoke of above.

I'm pretty much giving up on life now. I do what i can for people and this is how I'm repaid in the end? well,fuck.....

this must suck, but if I learned anything from life it's that you should not wait for some kind of repayment for your actions. do them for their own good instead. everything leaves a mark though, the consequences just may show up a little late, so don't worry.
I would highly recommend to talk to your dad again, just tell him about what you think is unfair

you know when i read that part, it does make me sound like a jerk. anyways, I have talked to my dad and he didn't budge. He doesn't care as long as he gets what he wants. as for the repayment of kind actions, I didn't mean I was expecting repayment....not from people anyways. well, lessoned learned at any rate.

Wilsongt

I really dislike people who you think you can trust and confide in, who go around and tell the person you are talking to them about what you said.

Fuck men. I mean, honestly. Just fuck them all.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I really dislike people who you think you can trust and confide in, who go around and tell the person you are talking to them about what you said.

Fuck men. I mean, honestly. Just fuck them all.

We're not all like that :(

Collete

Do you mean that they only want to assess you at first and get a feel for how much meds might help you? That could be the case (hopefully if they found that you were in great need, they will refer you to a psychiatrist or something after). But the talking, as awful as it is to divulge sensitive information to a literal stranger face-to-face, might help or even be cathartic in the long run. Put in the effort so you can say at least you tried--plus, it might actually help! Maybe your therapist will make good and practical suggestions for improving your communication strategies too.
It might be helpful to have that external support keeping track of your progress for you, and pretty much being a more "objective" view so you don't have to exhaust yourself with constantly being your own judge all the time (and trying to be an objective one at that!). My own view is that the therapist helps you over time to transfer their "powers" of analysis and thought organization and stuff over to you so you internalize it and then it becomes your own skills to use and gain control your life. And then they are always there in case you need a refresher on that.

If you do something wrong, and you try to make amends (I can't really think of an example where it's impossible to make amends--and if it's saying the wrong thing, you apologize for it if it was hurtful or wrong), yet all people do is criticize for the original action, that's not really on you to take. You did your part. Your due diligence/taking responsibility. If other people are stuck on nagging, that's what they are. Stuck. And you don't have to take that, and you can tell them to drop the subject because it's a done deal and it's not funny or helpful. A little self-righteousness or indignation is not a bad thing~! I am not sure who would look down on you and hold onto that view forever (unless they are judgmental in their personalities in the first place).
I used to think that everyone was super critical or judgmental, waiting to gaze down on me for everything (sometimes I still have that feeling because I am very self-critical), but the truth is that most people are probably too busy with their own things to truly look down on others , let alone hold onto any initial judgments for long. I think it is more likely their own self-defense reaction than actually thinking less of you--it's not personal to you, it's their own mess they're sorting out and projecting with.. and that's not really your responsibility to solve unless you want to.

Thanks...I'll try to reach out...to at least say I tried. Just too run down I guess.

I'm thinking of detaching myself from all my friends and make sure I don't make anymore. I'm tired of all the pain and suffering that happens when I'm around the friends I had/have... never being around when they say they will is just the worse... The departure that will come even though they say they'll stick around...I can't take this shit anymore... While I'm perfectly fine with being in isolation in practice, I feel resistant to this idea but I still want to carry it out....I'm still thinking this over and really trying to put effort to pull this off but I dunno...wouldn't even know where to start.

Windam

Scaley member
How does one restore lost motivation/ambition? This is killing me right now. I may as well simply stay in bed all day every day. (I would if I could.)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Does anyone else go for a long time feeling pretty good/normal, and then, out of nowhere, you just hit an emotional valley? There's nothing particular causing it, you just feel like you hit a brickwall and drop. I think I just hit one of those walls again. I've been awesome for a long time, and not even an hour ago I was cracking up with my roommate and now...idk, i'm just low and getting lower.

If it is common, my bad. Sorry if I'm shitting up the thread.

Does anyone else go for a long time feeling pretty good/normal, and then, out of nowhere, you just hit an emotional valley? There's nothing particular causing it, you just feel like you hit a brickwall and drop. I think I just hit one of those walls again. I've been awesome for a long time, and not even an hour ago I was cracking up with my roommate and now...idk, i'm just low and getting lower.

yep. sounds familiar

Wazzim

Banned

I had that last week and it lasted a day, just felt sad for some reason. Must be because I'm young I think.

Doomrider

This happened with my ex-girlfriend a couple of years ago and it lasted a few months. She said she didn't feel it was because of any specific cause, but it caused her deep sadness and a lot of grief. She was unable to enjoy anything. We hypothesized that it was due to a lot of her insecurities and fears (having finished college, not having job prospects, not having a lot of money) manifesting on a subconscious level, but I have no idea if that's accurate or what triggered it (maybe the end of college). She eventually recovered, fortunately and I hope you do too, as quickly as possible.

Cubsfan23

Banned

this is actually a good sign, especially if the "low" doesn't last a long time.

when your life transisitons from "bad" to "good" the old part of you will pop up every now and then, until you completely change into your new self.

read this link http://www.pinkhog.com/mezhopking/docs/OvercomingSocialAnxiety/two_competing_neural_pathways.htm

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Thanks all.

I had that last week and it lasted a day, just felt sad for some reason. Must be because I'm young I think.

This happened with my ex-girlfriend a couple of years ago and it lasted a few months. She said she didn't feel it was because of any specific cause, but it caused her deep sadness and a lot of grief. She was unable to enjoy anything. We hypothesized that it was due to a lot of her insecurities and fears (having finished college, not having job prospects, not having a lot of money) manifesting on a subconscious level, but I have no idea if that's accurate or what triggered it (maybe the end of college). She eventually recovered, fortunately and I hope you do too, as quickly as possible.

I get these a fair amount, actually. They usually only last me like 2 days, 4 days tops (and that rare), but the intervals in-which they come is really inconsistent, and how quickly I just drop varies too. This was really quick.

I just don't want to fucking do anything right now, except eat this cheap microwave pizza. Just really lathargic. I'm keeping myself from finishing the last of my beer supply, lol, alcohol is probably not a good thing to have right now. Oh well, pizza. yum.

Yeah... I know that feel.

Don't usually write up much here, but this time I will:

All my life I lived with depression. I had childhood abuse, high school bully it, etc. I'm trying for 2 years now to make a fresh life on college and forget this fuckers of my past. I'm doing alright on that. Still, depression is here.

I changed my meds on my on, Cold Turkey on Saphris and Artane. Two days from it and I don't think I will have any withdrawal shit. Anyway, got me Luvox and Seroquel to deal with depression and anxiety.

I still feel pretty shit and I'm listening to depressing songs, BUT I think I will loose the weight I gained from Saphris and that it self makes me "happy".

I'm gonna see my doc on 01 march and hope for the best.

Anyway, just wanted to write a bit.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Eh, good to see I'm not the only one, though I'm not on medication, so I can't really relate to SpartanForce all that much (other than the start, yeah).

Yeah... I know that feel.

Don't usually write up much here, but this time I will:

All my life I lived with depression. I had childhood abuse, high school bully it, etc. I'm trying for 2 years now to make a fresh life on college and forget this fuckers of my past. I'm doing alright on that. Still, depression is here.

I changed my meds on my on, Cold Turkey on Saphris and Artane. Two days from it and I don't think I will have any withdrawal shit. Anyway, got me Luvox and Seroquel to deal with depression and anxiety.

I still feel pretty shit and I'm listening to depressing songs, BUT I think I will loose the weight I gained from Saphris and that it self makes me "happy".

I'm gonna see my doc on 01 march and hope for the best.

Anyway, just wanted to write a bit.

woah some heavy shit dude :( but good for you that you're trying a new start, I wish you all the best!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
That feel : going through my calls on my phone noticing friends and family calling and texting me daily to not receiving a single call in almost an entire month - I guess everyone 'got the hint' when their calls and text weren't answered and got sick of trying. Still feels like shit.

Windam

Scaley member
I'm in over my head at school. I don't belong in any of my classes. I don't even belong there.

It's common, but you're not shitting up the thread. I'm the same. When I hit the wall, I sink. Low. Now is one of those times. I'm ready to give up.

heidern

That feel : going through my calls on my phone noticing friends and family calling and texting me daily to not receiving a single call in almost an entire month - I guess everyone 'got the hint' when their calls and text weren't answered and got sick of trying. Still feels like shit.

If it feels like shit then text them all back. The ones that answer now are more genuine friends.

I'm in over my head at school. I don't belong in any of my classes. I don't even belong there.

It's common, but you're not shitting up the thread. I'm the same. When I hit the wall, I sink. Low. Now is one of those times. I'm ready to give up.
yeah I know what to mean, I dropped my biochemistry lab because I felt arkward and out of place in there. No idea why it just didn't click with me :/ had an nerves breakdown during the first lab and ended up waiting till everyone left before I finished up. Dropped the lab within a few days..

Edit: btw I do read tho everyone's post as best I can.

jdogmoney

Thanks to the advice of a GAFfer I was able to talk to a psychologist for an initial screening. After forty-five minutes' conversation and two quick screening tests, he told me that it sounds like I have "pretty severe depression" and that I needed to talk to a psychiatrist as soon as possible and a psychologist right after that. I made a psychiatrist appointment for Tuesday of this week, and I'm trying my hardest to get to that point...but I think I've gotten worse. I was supposed to move out of my apartment this weekend and I just couldn't convince myself to do anything. I was scared, terrified that I was going to do something to end my life, either deliberately harming myself or by just not caring when I was driving or whatever. I really hope I'll be able to get out of bed in time for work tomorrow. I've already been late because of not being able to move once. I need help.

I'm just going to give up trying to do stuff today. Go to bed kind of early, set several alarms, and force myself to get moving in the morning.

entremet

Hey everyone,

I'm usually a happy fellow, but of late I've been having trouble sleeping. Usually very negative thoughts keep me up. I've always been like this, but late it's gotten worse. It seems when I'm about to fall asleep I really get in my head and mull on the negative.

Anyone experience this?

Pau

Hey everyone,

I'm usually a happy fellow, but of late I've been having trouble sleeping. Usually very negative thoughts keep me up. I've always been like this, but late it's gotten worse. It seems when I'm about to fall asleep I really get in my head and mull on the negative.

Anyone experience this?
Yup! I've had some nights where I dwell so much on the negative and can't stop thinking about it that I can't fall asleep until I just pass out from exhaustion. I pretty much convince myself I don't deserve to think about anything positive or don't have anything positive to think about. It really helps to keep active during the day and night so those type of thoughts don't start. But once they do I don't really have a means of dealing with them if I'm alone so I can't help much there, sorry. :( The worst part for me though is that it's usually at a time at night that I can't talk to anyone about what's going on so it's just a terrible echo chamber. Writing out what's bothering you might help get out of that echo chamber.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

YUP, just happened to me last night. fell asleep early, and all day today has been a lie in bed, check the internet and go sleep for a few hours vicious cycle. no motivation. Finally got up at 6pm to watch the Oscars, and now prob gonna be up til 3am....gotta get up at 5:40am for work *SIGH*. hope this latest depression crash doesn't last for weeks like my last one

Here's how I fuckin' feel right now.

I'm looking over at the peaceful, beautiful, sleeping form of the woman I love right now....Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Loving You" is playing on the TV. And all I can think about is how much I love her. How I get to spend each day loving her more and more and more each day, and she'll feel the same way about me, only to have our love for each other rewarded in the end by being ripped from each other for the rest of time. Oh god, I'm going to fucking puke.

I didn't fucking ask to be fucking born. Fuck you, life! Fuck you, world! Fuck you, humanity! This is what I get for my trouble. And you have to do this to her too?

[takes a chair into another room and proceeds to kick the shit out of it until my foot is screaming]

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! [throws chair across the room]

And that's all I can do about it^

I don't want that to happen to her! I want to save her! I'm powerless. The most horrifying thing I can imagine is going to happen to everyone I love.

Pezking

Hi. This is my first post in this thread.

Six years ago, my then 27 year old girlfriend (now wife) was diagnosed with breast cancer. A few weeks after the diagnosis, I developed a reactive depression. I started having anxiety problems and panic attacks. In the end, my doctor gave me a prescription for Citalopram (10mg), and that helped immediately, with no side effects besides a little weight gain. No more panic attacks right after my first pill of Citalopram. That was pretty awesome.

After the end of her chemotherapy, I stopped taking Citalopram immediately (took it for about 4 months), with no signs of withdrawal. So overall, my experience with that antidepressant was very good. The fact that my wife recovered quite nicely from that awful sickness helped as well, of course.

About 2 months ago, I noticed that I felt a lot of psychic stress. I had no anxiety problems then, but decided to go to the doctor anyway. I started digging in my past, being very critical about some of my career choices. I was diagnosed with an IQ of about 150 and a strong intellectual giftedness in regards to creativity at an early age, but somehow neglegted that side of me for most of my life. So I was very critical of me during the last few weeks, and left no stone in my own past unturned. I'm 35 years old now, and feel like I have to reinvent myself. I'm happily married, but very frustrated when it comes to my career, and I don't want to repeat mistakes I've made in the past.

This is a very exhaustive and draining process. I started doing "light therapy" (I'm from Germany, and I don't know if this is the right english term) to fight a bit of winter blues and raise my serotonin level. This had a nice effect, my mood became better, and I'm definitely a bit happier than before. But the mental exhaustion didn't improve.

So my doctor once again prescribed me Citalopram, since I've had such great results with it in the past. This time, I got pills with 20mg, which I didn't notice at first. Three hours after I took my first pill, I got my first panic attack since 2007. :-(

I assumed that this happened because I wasn't prepared to feel any side effects from this medicine that I thought I already knew very well. I became dizzy, my heart began to race, and I panicked. Since I didn't have these symptoms prior to taking Citalopram again, I decided to not take it anymore for the moment.

That was about three weeks ago. Since then, I had three other panic attacks, and generally felt more anxious on many occasions. The worst attack happened on saturday, when I even went to the ER, because I couldn't stop my "panic mode" without some outside help. A very helpful doctor there brought me down with acupuncture.

So right now, I'm wondering if I should start taking Citalopram again. The doctors don't think that panic attacks can be triggered by it. Maybe it was just a coincidence three weeks ago? Of course, now I'm a bit afraid of taking it again.

Right now, I tend to take it again, but this time with my old dose of 10mg, which gave me no side effects and helped me big time six years ago. I have the doctors green light for doing that. What do you guys think?

Wilsongt

I usually return calls and texts, but when I stop receiving texts and calls from certain people, I figure they are done with me, so I delete their number. Just taking up space on my abysmally small contact list, anyway.

Simon_K

Neo Member
I just realised that I've become an emotionless bag of bones.

My GF came over on saturday and said that we need to take a break (what she actually meant was that we're breaking up but she didnt want to be too rough with me I guess).

And I didn't even care. This was a long overdue discussion (around 2 months) but god damn, I expected to at least get emotional at THAT point.

What the fuck is wrong with me.

TUROK

Never take these people for granted. Call/text them back. Explain yourself. I'm sure they'll understand.

All the time, except my "normal" and "awful" points fluctuate very frequently. Common or not, no shame in asking about it.

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
I'm having a bit of a problem I guess, and I'm not sure where to turn to.
I have problems (who doesn't) Some are mental problems however. Anxiety and sometimes even depression to the point where it effects my cognitive ability. I have attacks where my body shuts down, I lose the ability to do simple things like talk and think or I hallucinate.

I've been having a bit of a bad week. Been struggling in school. It effects me, makes me have feelings of inadequacy. I've lost 2 friends that I feel like were unjustly lost. Without going into too much detail, I've uncovered quite a bit of repressed memories of things I wish I could forget again... terrible, terrible things. Contemplating dropping halfway from school, because I can't mentally handle the load. Had a car wreck and dislocated my shoulder and hit my head pretty hard, ever since then.. I just don't feel right. Having difficulties with my partner as well. All of this has happened.. within the last week.
It's all a bit too much for me to bear, but the only thing that kills me is what's going on now.

The people around me that I love, namely partner and her family.. are worried that I'm so depressed that I'm going to hurt myself.
Have I thought about suicide? Very much yes. I have told them this.
Will I do something like that? No, I can't do that to people around me. I have told them this too.
They have pretty much removed me from their life because they are scared of it.
I don't have a clue as to what to do as to let them know that I won't commit suicide. I can see where I've given off the message that I possibly could... but I don't want that. I'm not sure what to do. I feel mostly lost and hopeless and scared and not knowing where to turn.

My family is the type where... you're not allowed to cry unless your dog dies, or the national anthem is playing. Crying is a huge no-no to them.
Showing any kind of pain is bad. It means you are 'weak'. I'm not like that at all, so I have to live in hiding and bottling up all my emotions. It's caught up with me. If I let them see any sign of pain or sadness, especially regarding my partner.. they will pick at it and zero in on it to make me feel worse... as a way to say "I told you so", it's happened before....

I'm just confused.. sad, numb and lost.
I hope they're not tired of me.
It's got me feeling like I'm a huge raincloud that rains on all my loved one's parades.

Feeling empty and hollow. Don't really care about anything.

I've always been a lonely man, and even as a kid I never did fit in or have any friends. Never really knowing how to relate to anyone on any meaningful level. Sometimes I feel angry and frustrated about it, but most of the time I am empty.

I paint to while away my hours, but it's only a distraction. I've been searching - trying to figure out who I am and how I fit into the world - and I come up with nothing. I can't even put my feelings into words.

All I want is to be at peace. There's nothing I want more.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If it feels like shit then text them all back. The ones that answer now are more genuine friends.

Never take these people for granted. Call/text them back. Explain yourself. I'm sure they'll understand.

Problem is I don't even know what to say.

me:"Hey dudes sorry I haven't been replying your texts"

"Oh.. what's wrong?"

me:"I... don't know."

I already feel like a basketcase, god knows what I'll feel like when I have to start explaining to people why I'd rather eat the barrel of a shotgun than watch a game of soccer with them.

heidern

Problem is I don't even know what to say.

me:"Hey dudes sorry I haven't been replying your texts"

"Oh.. what's wrong?"

me:"I... don't know."

I already feel like a basketcase, god knows what I'll feel like when I have to start explaining to people why I'd rather eat the barrel of a shotgun than watch a game of soccer with them.

Here's a couple of options for you:
"Sorry I didn't reply earlier, things have been a bit difficult, we should hang out soon"
"Sorry I didn't reply earlier, things have been a bit difficult but they're improving now, we should hang out soon, are you free this weekend?"

If they ask why, you don't have to explain things in detail if you don't want to. You can say "I'd rather not talk about it" or evade by saying something like "family stuff." If you are able explain it, that's even better but don't feel pressured.

Quite a few posters seem to dread explaining their mental illness, thinking that there'll be unsympathetic reactions and people will look down on their explanations. I find that a bit strange, I guess I can't relate because I was always the smartest kid in class so I was the one explaining stuff to other people and people wouldn't need to explain stuff to me. So here's how I would deal with the sterotypical ignorant person that's the bane of the mentally ill(This is like a worst case scenario anything should be easier).

"Things have been difficult"
"How come?"
"I've got... depression"
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"What have you got to be depressed about? Lifes great, we can got to parties, play football, travel the whole entire world, there's so much opportunity."
"I know, but I've got depression and..."
"WHAT! You're taking everything for granted, you're taking your friends for granted, and what about your family? Aren't they enough to make you happy? Everyone's in the same boat, we all have problems, that's part of being human, fighting difficulty is it's own reward, at least you're not some starving kid in Africa that dies in agony of malnutrition at the age of 5! You're actually really lucky, why stress? Just be grateful for what you do have. You should just be happy!"
"I want to, but my brains not working properly."
"Not working properly? You seem fine? You're talking normally?"
"Most of my brain's fine, some of it's not, I can have all the good things in the world, makes no difference. because my brain's not working properly"
"So what you gonna do?"
"I'm working on it, unfortunately the brains really complicated so it's gonna take a bit time to fix."

You want to be level headed. It's like you're explaining 2+2=4 to someone that believes 2+2=5. However adamant and angry they get you wouldn't get upset. If you're getting help from a doctor/psych you can also make reference to them and their decades of experience.

Hope this helps.

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
I just went outside and started to sing.. got louder and louder until I was yelling my very loudest at the top of my lungs..eventually passed out, but it made me feel a little better.

Windam

Scaley member
Honestly I'm so worthless. I don't know what I did to end up this way, but odds are I deserve it for being such a fuck-up. I manage to fool everyone into making them think I'm fine and dandy, but I'm honestly incapable of doing anything for myself. I have people who expect things from me and I can't deliver. I didn't sign up for this. I don't want this. Why can't I just feel good for a day?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Honestly I'm so worthless. I don't know what I did to end up this way, but odds are I deserve it for being such a fuck-up. I manage to fool everyone into making them think I'm fine and dandy, but I'm honestly incapable of doing anything for myself. I have people who expect things from me and I can't deliver. I didn't sign up for this. I don't want this. Why can't I just feel good for a day?

This is all self-pity talk, and that's fine. We all fall into it sometimes. But I know you pretty well, and you're smart and funny and kind and gifted beyond what you give yourself cr4edit for. Let others help you to reach that true potential.

And I mean this for so many of you.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I think it's time for me to stop dreaming and living a imaginary fantasy in my mind. I just have to accept my current state and deal with it as best I can.

nimbus

Banned
What should I conclude from the fact that it provides a lot of comfort for me when I entertain thoughts of suicide, fanciful flights though they be? Like it's sort of a doorway out of this horrible existence.

Colin.

Anyone hide from their parents? I usually go to the library or the outdoor mall to avoid them?

Not much to do around here or nice walks to go on, so I just close the door and ignore anything being said. Since all logic and reason goes out the window when my mother goes on one of her rants. When I do go out on my own, I prefer going somewhere a bit out the road as I hate bumping into people I used to know locally.

Time seems to be escaping me more than usual recently. Hours in the day are flying by so quickly. I think making a list of things to do in the day and sticking to it will help combat this. As one of my regular regrets is wasting my day.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Time seems to be escaping me more than usual recently. Hours in the day are flying by so quickly. I think making a list of things to do in the day and sticking to it will help combat this. As one of my regular regrets is wasting my day.

Ahh, yes. Me too. The days seem to be going by faster and faster. It's...depressing. :/ I have also thought about making a list and sticking to it, but I don't really know how to make a day planner or whatever.

bjb

Banned
Here's how I fuckin' feel right now.

I'm looking over at the peaceful, beautiful, sleeping form of the woman I love right now....Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Loving You" is playing on the TV. And all I can think about is how much I love her. How I get to spend each day loving her more and more and more each day, and she'll feel the same way about me, only to have our love for each other rewarded in the end by being ripped from each other for the rest of time. Oh god, I'm going to fucking puke.

I didn't fucking ask to be fucking born. Fuck you, life! Fuck you, world! Fuck you, humanity! This is what I get for my trouble. And you have to do this to her too?

[takes a chair into another room and proceeds to kick the shit out of it until my foot is screaming]

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! [throws chair across the room]

And that's all I can do about it^

I don't want that to happen to her! I want to save her! I'm powerless. The most horrifying thing I can imagine is going to happen to everyone I love.

What the hell?....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom