• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

Madman

Couple comments.

The snake seems fine. If you have a pool go try this. Get a broom, and slowly lower it into the water. On impact, it will ripple a little, but after that it will just glide through, All the scales on the serpent would do is create turnbulence, which is what is shown in the vdeo. Looks good enough.

The developers walk through was amazing. The scale of this game is absolutely massive. If anything, it's at least an incredible tech demo.

Which bring me to gameplay. If they can keep variety in what you fight and the skills you earn, it should be fine. The ship segment was really cool and was the segment that raised my hopes about the gameplay. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think it is because that people expect too much out of this generation.

You guys can talk about this effect or that effect, but in the end, you need Programmers to write it in code to make it happen, and it ain't easy!! each and every single detail is written in computer code, and it isn't like you just draw it out and the computer knows what you want. There are millions of little detail and each needs to be added individually, and it is impossible to do them all... and this is without consideration of the hardware.

Give them a break, man. They've done great stuff in a short time, with only 80 people (not all of which are programmers, and not all programmers are geniuses). I would sing praises for what they have done, but some people miss the forest for the trees.

NeonBlade

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
If game is Halo 3=don't judge alpha graphics

If game is LAIR=Judge alpha graphics

Oh no no, don't be like that. We will have ample time to harp and hate and troll Halo 3 when its shown proper.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ceb said:
Save for the initial ripple, the water doesn't seem to move like it should when a giant snake dives into it.

It looks pretty impressive to me. Especially how the water breaks against the rocks and sprays. There's also mist/spray coming off the serpent thing too.

antiloop

In any case, now they have the engine "done".

Next game they build with it should be even cooler. :)

Edit: Just as for example Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2. Insomniac and Evolution Studios both built their own engines together with the R:FoM and MS1.

Literally every time I see this game I like it a little more. Factor 5 makes some beautiful games, but they don't seem to put as much polish into the gameplay. So far it's a nice visual package, but the ground gameplay looks clunky and I'm wary about the motion sensitive ramming of other dragons. There's no way that can feel spot on. Lastly is timed missions gotta go. It was so frustrating in the Rogue Squadron games. Dunno why they chose to bring them back for this game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jibber Hack said:
Lastly is timed missions gotta go. It was so frustrating in the Rogue Squadron games. Dunno why they chose to bring them back for this game.

I'm curious, where did you see timed missions?

mckmas8808 said:

i dont think all missions are timed. they said in 1UP show that there are some timed missions. But the dev said that some missions are very linear. But others are not.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gametrailers is supposed to be putting up a 3rd part of the developer walkthrough this weekend, right?

Kittonwy

Banned
It seems the dragon flying animations are very smooth, and the ramming animations seem more natural to me than the last time I saw Lair.

mckmas8808

kaching said:
Gametrailers is supposed to be putting up a 3rd part of the developer walkthrough this weekend, right?

Yep. Not sure what happened. We even had a guy that works for Gametrailers here. Maybe he could explain what's going on and when they will put it up.

Raist

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but...

Rumble?

catkilllw3.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
Yep. Not sure what happened. We even had a guy that works for Gametrailers here. Maybe he could explain what's going on and when they will put it up.
I know - I'm just putting up the bat signal. Satterfield said part 3 is coming plus a "bunch of other stuff" this weekend. I'm just letting 'em know the weekend is running out ;)

mckmas8808 said:

Uh, on the 1up Show Kathleen talks about how she's worried that it will have the same structure that the Rogue Squadron games had with timed missions. And I believe that there was another piece of video (I've watched so many in the last two days) said that there are medals in this game in the same way that they had them in Rogue Squadron. The way you earned medals in the past? Time was a big factor in earning those in their previous games.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Safe Bet said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but...

Rumble?
It's possible that they can add rumble with a patch once the actual controllers are released. I mean Insomniac released a patch for rumble support in Resistance recently.

Core407

Banned
TONX said:
It's possible that they can add rumble with a patch once the actual controllers are released. I mean Insomniac released a patch for rumble support in Resistance recently.

Where did you hear that.

Raist

Banned
I've seen adapters like that for sale, but never tried.

Would only work for PS2 games anyways. I still have my PS2 so I don't care :D

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I read it in the update details in their last patch. im looking for it now.

Core407

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Does this +

work right now?

Yep, should work no problem as far as I understand it. I've got one shipping to me right now so I can give you a better answer once I get it.

Raist said:
I've seen adapters like that for sale, but never tried.

Would only work for PS2 games anyways. I still have my PS2 so I don't care :D
Still got my PS2 as well, just wondering

TONX said:
Awesome
Core407 said:
Yep, should work no problem as far as I understand it. I've got one shipping to me right now so I can give you a better answer once I get it.
Nice can't wait to see if it works in Resistance.

The Jer

TONX said:
they didn't

TONX said:
Here is the Thread.

Post #33 is the actual changelist.
Post #34 is a joke. The quote was changed.

Tieno said:
Do you also then get rumble on the ps3, like for example when playing God of War 2?
I haven't tried it but I would assume it does, same with Resistance if they added the rumble patch. I remember right when Sony settled the lawsuit with Immersion I started thinking about this scenario.............
EDIT:

The Jer said:
they didn't

Here is the Thread.

Post #33 is the actual changelist.
Post #34 is a joke. The quote was changed.
Mehhhhhhhhh.................-_-

I hope that was sarcasm Kittowny, but I myself hate when game design clashes with my own vision of how things should be. It just irks me to see all of those little fire balls being shot out in such quick succession. It's a small gripe, but it just kinda crossed my mind. I also didn't like it too much in Rogue Leader, but I got used to it. The game does look awesome so far after watching even more vids.

mckmas8808

Jibber Hack said:
I hope that was sarcasm Kittowny, but I myself hate when game design clashes with my own vision of how things should be. It just irks me to see all of those little fire balls being shot out in such quick succession. It's a small gripe, but it just kinda crossed my mind. I also didn't like it too much in Rogue Leader, but I got used to it. The game does look awesome so far after watching even more vids.

Don't most games do it this way?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kittonwy said:
I like how the scales would fly off as the dragon attacks the giant snake.
Indifferent2.gif
Must be in it's molting phase, because if itty bitty fireballs can knock them off that easy, imagine what just diving through the water should do ;)

The scale of the game makes me wonder what SoTC would've been like had it been done on the PS3 instead of the PS2. WKS should sort of give us an idea.

SolidSnakex said:
The scale of the game makes me wonder what SoTC would've been like had it been done on the PS3 instead of the PS2. WKS should sort of give us an idea.

Isn't this game broken into levels? or does it take place in one huge world like oblivion or GTA?

mckmas8808 said:
Don't most games do it this way?

You've got to look at it from the specific genre of arcade shooters. Sure, those games do it but it clashes with the amount of realism and detail they're going for here.

Jibber Hack said:
I hope that was sarcasm Kittowny, but I myself hate when game design clashes with my own vision of how things should be. It just irks me to see all of those little fire balls being shot out in such quick succession.

In Ace Combat games your jet can carry 80 - 100 + missiles :lol

Sometime it's best to forego realism. I mean who wants to head back to base to rearm after firing 4 - 5 missiles?? Fire breath in Lair would be too slow and lame, it would slow the game play down.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jibber Hack said:
but I myself hate when game design clashes with my own vision of how things should be.
If you want to be a slave to "realism" then you might start by asking how a species like humans managed to advance to the point of medieval technology in a world that seems to be teeming with fire-breathing dragons and mile-long sea serpents.

I mean, the way the sea serpents back armor gets ripped away so easily bothers me in passing but if I let it get to me more than that, I'd play very few video games.

mckmas8808

SolidSnakex said:

What does WKS have to do with SoTC?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the scales falling off the snake is right out of panzer dragoon. it's a satisfying response to a successful hit, giant sea snake physiology be damned.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
Isn't this game broken into levels? or does it take place in one huge world like oblivion or GTA?
It's level-based, but they're 32x32 kilometer levels, so somewhere in between.

Top Bottom