• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Hocking leaves LucasArts (Update: Now At Valve)

Grayman

I feel those don't have the same resource requirements though. It's not unusual for a smaller team to make a top down game or an RTS, but it is very unusual for a smaller team to make a well polished open world title.

Something in the vein of Splinter Cell, were we to look solely at what Hocking has done in the past, would seem much more attainable.
Being Valve they may have just hired for attitude and said "go work". Maybe get the tech guys working on the open world needs to couple it with an art style that gets a lot of mileage per man hour.

Blizzard

Banned
Their FPS games pretty much all play and feel the exact same to me and it's not the kind of style I like, not that I'm a huge FPS guy to begin with or anything. I just don't see anything special in games like HL2 and Portal 2 where everyone else seems to see gaming's mona lisa.
Portal and Portal 2 aren't shooters -- they're puzzle games. That seems bizarrely different in some aspects from say, Half-life 2 which is in turn different from Team Fortress 2, all of which are vastly different than DOTA 2. :/ Am I just missing something?

StuBurns

Banned
FC2 was terrible, but SC:CT was amazing, so who knows. Valve seem to have a lot of team frontmen at this point, I wonder if they really are all working on their own projects. In this thread people just seem to presume he's going to make his own game, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case.

demolitio

Valve can once again make everyone love them if they made a stealth-based game since SC seems to be dead to a lot of the original fans. Not necessarily a stealth only game, but any game that had a GOOD stealth element to it would go a long way. Look at how salivate over Dishonored for that freedom, lol.

I just miss the Chaos Theory days, but anything Valve does will be a great game in whatever genre it might be and adding another great talent to their studio definitely can't hurt. They really do seem to be the studio where developers want to flock to due to their freedom and creativity while being mellow and fair to their employees. I've only heard good things so far.

Then again, I'd want to go to ANY studio other than LA for what they've done to most of their big series and games this generation. They seem determined to ruin any credibility they once had while sitting on the biggest license in entertainment that should be a cash-in for even mediocre games. Yes, I'm still sour over Battlefront 3 so shut up and let me rant before I cry. Oh, and Indiana Jones. :(

Their FPS games pretty much all play and feel the exact same to me and it's not the kind of style I like, not that I'm a huge FPS guy to begin with or anything. I just don't see anything special in games like HL2 and Portal 2 where everyone else seems to see gaming's mona lisa.

Atmosphere, passive story telling through environment and the game experience, the feeling of a journey as you progress through the game. Other modern shooters are trying to recreate these gameplay experiences and are failing miserably at it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FC2 was terrible, but SC:CT was amazing, so who knows. Valve seem to have a lot of team frontmen at this point, I wonder if they really are all working on their own projects. In this thread people just seem to presume he's going to make his own game, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case.

Its likely not the case. At most you might throw ideas around the office but it seems Valve employees just tend to conglomerate around a few projects.

I haven't played one of Clints games, was Far Cry 2 that good? I probably own it thanks to one of his new employers sales.

it's got some great ideas and technology (fire is awesome) let down by almost-instantly respawning bad guys. Clear an area, turn your back to take in the view.. *poof* full of bad guys again.

If he's working on their Sci-Fi Space game I will be so happy. Man that would be so cool.

Actually whatever he does there will be cool.

Cool games.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't think Valve will make something traditional like an RPG or an open-world game or a stealth game. They make genre-defining or genre-creating games. I guess if you throw a lot of interactive stuff into an open world this can be innovative too just because of scale and interaction complexity but as Nirolak noted I doubt that Valve will do an open world game.

But who knows... DayZ is an open-world game made by a small team and one man (and Chernarus is only one map).

Glass Rebel

I don't think Valve will make something traditional like an RPG or an open-world game or a stealth game. They make genre-defining or genre-creating games. I guess if you throw a lot of interactive stuff into an open world this can be innovative too just because of scale and interaction complexity but as Nirolak noted I doubt that Valve will do an open world game.

But who knows... DayZ is an open-world game made by a small team and one man (and Chernarus is only one map).

If Valve does something open world then it'll most likely be close to what they wanted to do with Prospero:

As the design of Quiver [Half-Life] started to take over some of Prospero initial goals, Prospero evolved into a massively multiplayer game. It was also intended to be distributed with a mix of official and user-created worlds that could be accessed through an in-game library, and each game would be running on its own server. Online distribution, server browser, a friend finder, user-created content and other concepts initially conceived for Prospero would eventually find their way into the Half-Life series, Steam, and Valve's support of fan-made modifications.

Deschain

Neo Member
If there's any justice in the world, Valve will let Hocking work on a stealth action game that utterly shames what Ubisoft has done to Splinter Cell since he left that franchise.
Creative director on Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and Far Cry 2.

He actually wasn't creative director on the original Splinter Cell game (that was some guy named Francois Coulon or something according to the game's credits). He was a level designer who was then promoted to lead level designer. One thing to note though, Splinter Cell was the first game he'd ever worked on. He then became lead writer, lead level designer & creative director on Chaos Theory & then did FarCry 2.

So now Valve has both creator of System Shock and creator of Splinter Cell? Can't help but wonder what they're doing.

Again, Hocking did not create the Splinter Cell franchise, but he is responsible for it's pinnacle entry (IMO), Chaos Theory.

What genres have valve created or redefined exactly? I don't feel like those are accurate descriptions of any of their games...

subversus

What genres have valve created or redefined exactly? I don't feel like those are accurate descriptions of any of their games...

Half-Life - story-driven shooters.
Portal - first-person puzzlers (there are tons of them now on PC and most of them are of rather high quality)
4 players co-op shooters - before it was 2 players max except some very niche projects no one remembers now anyway
Team Fortress - class-based warfare at its best (defines the genre)
DOTA2 - MOBA at its best (defines the genre)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Portal - first-person puzzlers (there are tons of them now on PC and most of them are of rather high quality)
4 players co-op shooters - before it was 2 players max except some very niche projects no one remembers now anyway

Both Marathon and System Shock were story driven shooters well before HL.

You may add Counter Strike for competitive Shooters. I know, they "bought" the mod pretty late, but still...

StuBurns

Banned
HL was story heavy (well, it really wasn't at all, but people say that a lot), but it's much more known for being very linear and heavily scripted compared to it's peers. Ironically around the time System Shock 2 and Deus Ex were taking the genre as broad as it ever got.

As always the first post nails it. I wonder what he'll be responsible for at Valve, but whatever it is I'm pretty excited.

Even if you want to take the stance that System Shock doesn't count because it's not a "pure" shooter, I always felt Marathon and Marathon 2 did a lot of the Half-Life things prior to it. Alt fire on guns, level progression was seamless, you never left the view of your character (arguably with the terminals, but you still had control of yourself and enemies could attack you while in one), you had friendly AI companions, there were even wall mounted health dispensers! Not to take away from Half-Life granted, but damn was Marathon good for its time.

Deschain

Neo Member

I suppose some of those are true. Guess I was thinking in more generalized terms rather than perspective and variant specific...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

And there were 3D open-world games before Grand Theft Auto III. Defining a genre doesn't necessarily mean being first -- it's doing something well enough that others take notice and follow suit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
And there were 3D open-world games before Grand Theft Auto III. Defining a genre doesn't necessarily mean being first -- it's doing it well enough that others follow suit.

And how do you know HL wasnt following suit from them. Besides, I only said it cause he didnt make the distinction he made for the other genre definers that werent necessarily first. Also HL was all about scripting. If you make that argument I'm fine with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And how do you know HL wasnt following suit from them. Besides, I only said it cause he didnt make the distinction he made for the other genre definers that werent necessarily first. Also HL was all about scripting. If you make that argument I'm fine with it.

We don't, but that wouldn't change the fact that narrative-driven FPS games were a rarity until Half-Life.

Ledsen

Why is this so exciting to some of you people?

What did this guy do?

He did Far Cry 2 , one of the best and most unique fps games ever. He's a game design mastermind. I'm giddy just thinking about what he could accomplish at valve :D :D

Great news for everyone. Despite one being linear and the other open world, I feel like Half Life 2 and Far Cry 2 share a similar visual aesthetic. This isn't the best word to describe a look of a game but they both look authentic in a way that most other games don't.

mclem

I've not played this, so this could easily be completely wrong, but I thought Marathon's storytelling was fundamentally of the form of text infodumps; I can't think of anything prior to Half-life that actually used events in the world during play to tell and establish the story.

It's not really a genre they established, as such, but it's certainly a significant way they pushed it forward.

Also, calling System Shock a shooter is simplifying it to a great extent; heck, I'd say it's got more in common with Ultima Underworld than (say) Doom; more of an RPG with combat generally being in FPS form than a pure shooter.

MRORANGE

Quake was already there for competitive shooters. And their own sequel never recaptured the glory of 1.6.

CS was completely different to Quake/UT instead of fast paced combat TDM it relied on realism, precision shooting, working as a team and time to master the game.

it was revolutionary in it's own way.

subversus

I thought Team Fortress was originally a Quake mod?

it was. That is why it's genre-defining, not genre-creating.

Also they were making it at Valve since.... 1998 I guess? The same can be said about Portal - it started out as Narbacular Drop.

FACE

Banned
The possibility of Doug Church(if he's still at Valve) and Clint Hocking making a game together has me excited.

Yes for good or for ill. HL was amazing but it's the reason why do many modern shooters are complete scripted event-fests.

Are you blaming Valve for other Game Developers shitty scripted events? Those companies did it wrong, it has nothing to do with what Valve had to offer.

1-D_FTW

Yes for good or for ill. HL was amazing but it's the reason why so many modern shooters are complete scripted event-fests.

That's the result of the CoD sales figures.

I don't think you can blame Half-Life if other developers took something that was minor (and relatively useful) and abused the living life out of it. As with most things in life, moderation is key. And Valve has always used it with moderation. If that's all certain developers took from Half-Life, it's no wonder it's still the best FPS shooter series ever created.

xenist

He did Far Cry 2 , one of the best and most unique fps games ever. He's a game design mastermind. I'm giddy just thinking about what he could accomplish at valve :D :D

He has big ideas and Valve seems like a place that would let him work on them.

Anyway, speaking of gaming masterminds and Valve, does anyone know what Doug Church is up to over there?

Top Bottom