• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PacMan Revealed for Smash. Bros

Creepy teeth Pacman? Have you an artwork? I can't remember what he looks like.

Pac-man-ghostly-adventures-featured-image.jpg

This ... thing.

lupinko

You would really have Simon Belmont over Snake because of that? Snake played fantastically in Brawl, one of the most unique movesets in the game. He's already tied to the series, no need to replace him with another sword character just because Simon has more history with Nintendo

RiggyRob

Fuck yeah, the holy quadrinity is a reality - Mario v Sonic v Mega Man v Pac-Man. Who would've thought they'd ever all be in the same game?

Riposte

I don't really see the whole relation between PacMan plus Megaman or Sonic (or those together with each other even). It's not like Mario plus Sonic or Mario plus PacMan. When Sonic was popular, PacMan was like Mickey Mouse status of relevancy. I just see four videogame characters, from slightly different eras in this case.

lupinko

I don't really see the whole relation between PacMan plus Megaman or Sonic (or those together with each other even). It's not like Mario plus Sonic or Mario plus PacMan. When Sonic was popular, PacMan was like Mickey Mouse status of relevancy.

Mario = face of Nintendo
sonic = face of Sega
Mega man = face of Capcom tho capcom lols at that
Pacman = face of Namco

one_kill

I don't really see the whole relation between PacMan plus Megaman or Sonic (or those together with each other even). It's not like Mario plus Sonic or Mario plus PacMan. When Sonic was popular, PacMan was like Mickey Mouse status of relevancy. I just see four videogame characters, from slightly different eras in this case.
They're all classic gaming mascots. Lupinko's summarised it well.

Game Guru

They are pretty much the mascots of Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, and Namco, so it makes sense to have Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man pose together. That's probably also why Sonic is the only 16-bit character in the Pac-Man artwork, though they really should have used the Master System/Game Gear sprites for Sonic so he'd be just as 8-bit as everyone else.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I for one am glad Pac-Man is in (kinda a no-brainer with Namco involved really!). Back in MY day Pac-Man was THE iconic face for videogames.

Riposte

Mario = face of Nintendo
sonic = face of Sega
Pacman = face of Namco

I see. That makes sense. When people talk about a "quadrinity", I was thinking a set pantheon representing something (like an era), when really you could switch in/out half these guys to achieve a similar effect (different companies, different reps) or to capture a more specific thing (early arcade, 8-bit, etc). Mario vs. Sonic has a special kind of history because of the console war stuff, but this doesn't feel like a four way version of that, because they only have some sort of connection with Mario, if that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Damn, looks great. I was afraid of a bad Pac-Man design, but they really nailed the character. Clearly the same thought went into this as into designing Sonic.

Now how about one more, Sakurai? Bomberman? Please?

RIP Hudson

mindsale

They picked the best design of Pac. He looks like so much to play as. I never main anyone (random FTW), but damn if Pac isn't making me second-guess myself.

mindsale

I would agree if snake wasnt in brawl.
Since he was there he needs to come back.

Between the Keifer shake-up and current Big Boss not being on a Nintendo console (although I suppose he's in MGS3DS) and his less anime / mascot aesthetic, I'd rather he didn't return. He's got an inelegant moveset that I feel betrays both his own games and a Smash fluidity. BUT if he did he may rep some Phantom Pain music / levels, and I'm all for previews and MGS music, so I'm ambivalent.

Game Guru

Yeah in recent years or since the late 90s Capcom started using Ryu more as its face, tho they sold Ryu and SF to Capcom USA years back. And now Capcom is really going through an identity crisis at the moment.

http://youtu.be/JN1Lgh-EC4A

To be fair, Ryu is perhaps more iconic than Mega Man since he is the face of the Fighting Game genre, just that he lacks the history with Nintendo that Mega Man has. I certainly would not mind him in a Smash game... but not over Mega Man.

To be fair, Ryu is perhaps more iconic than Mega Man since he is the face of the Fighting Game genre, just that he lacks the history with Nintendo that Mega Man has. I certainly would not mind him in a Smash game... but not over Mega Man.

Ryu in Smash would be pretty amazing, he's such an awesome and iconic character.

I think the Street Fighter franchise is more iconic than the Mega Man franchise, but as far as characters go, I think Mega Man has the edge.

Ryu in Smash would be pretty amazing, he's such an awesome and iconic character.
I was hoping he'd make it into PSAS. That's the kind of third party presence the game needed instead of freaking Isaac Clarke and Big Daddy.

Riposte

Ryu in Smash would be cool. I wonder how they'd go about his inputs. Would they convert them to Smash controls or give him a gimmick where he does quarter-circles and stuff?

Metal B

Mario = face of Nintendo
sonic = face of Sega
Pacman = face of Namco
They also represent eras of gaming:
Pacman = Arcade-Era
Mega Man = 8-Bit-Era
Sonic = 16-Bit-Era

Still missing:
Rayman = 32-Bit-Era (Face of Ubisoft)

mindsale

They also represent eras of gaming:
Pacman = Arcade-Era
Mega Man = 8-Bit-Era
Sonic = 16-Bit-Era

Still missing:
Rayman = 32-Bit-Era (Face of Ubisoft)

Absolutely. I think that the Mario & Luigi costumes in Legends were absolute forebears to Rayman (with a Globox assist) appearing in Smash Bros.

Jawmuncher

He's as much a veteran as Mewtwo or Dr. Mario was. And entirely irrelevant to Nintendo. Wouldn't be mad if he came back, but would completely understand why if he didn't.

Considering hes what got the ball rolling for third party characters I think thats a little unfair.
Plus the whole relevancy thing is moot after being in brawl considering sakurai didnt even need to bother if he really wanted to.
With that said I know hes still sitting at a 50/50 chance. while I want him back dearly, I wont say the game will be lesser without him. But at the very least a very fun moveset and original moveset would be gone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah what was PacMan's recovery, is it the one where he becomes "limbless" and eats pellets upward?

Top Bottom