• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petscop, the new (most likely) creepypasta pretends to be a PS1 game

It annoys me that the article even entertains the possibility that this isn't fake. Like, I really don't think you need to hedge your bets here. The videos themselves are pretty neat though.

Ritzboof

Yeah. It loses itself when he finds a secert code from the maker, inputs it in the only level in the game, a level that isn't even finished, and enters a new world 4x as big as the first level.

It would have been way better on a slow build. 5 complete levels, slowly building the tension, clues leading him to the plane, not a dumb code. Maybe mirror worlds of the levels first, before finding the basement. It need a better slower transition.

at the very least, the way the videos go about it is that
this game was intended for someone in particular to see, not necessarily to be a game in the first place
. its a pretty alright way of doing it, but the overly dark presentation still fucks with that a bit. it just makes things arbitrarily spooky, when things would be just as dark without it

Caderfix

You know, it's fake but it's also fun. I'm feeling kind of like I did when I started watching Marble Hornets back in the day.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
u5BgkWG.gif

Oh my god.

Really? That's what made you believe it was fake? Lol.

Actually, I was already skeptical over the video in the beginning since there's no real life shot of the game's CD however the graphics and music sounded believable in my opinion. After reading comments about the sad death of a child that is related to the game, I noticed whoever made this fake was completely off. If anything, it's a well done fake!

My theory is that someone developed an indie game for the ps1 way back that never got finished until recently and whoever developed that game, ended up turning the original concept of the game into a creepypasta years later to try and fuck with the internet. lol

I didn't even know what a creepypasta was until this thread.

I just saw what is a fake PS1 game and thought it was cool that this was made. Now I'm going to watch the creepy stuff that starts at the end of the first video. xD~~

Tain

yeah yeah its realness isn't the point but

even beyond a technical accuracy level I don't think this looks like a 90s video game

Velurian

Copy paste
Copypasta
Creepypasta

Theyre called this instead of scary stories because of the amount of effort it took to propagate them on the internet.

why not stick to creepypaste then, a bit better than just "creepy type of food"? who is responsible for this!?

Jakten

even beyond a technical accuracy level I don't think this looks like a 90s video game

Popular games no, but this looks a lot like a number of more obscure games I've played especially Japanese ones. Stuff like Oh No! or Segare Ijiri (Which I wouldn't be surprised if its the main source of inspiration visually).

Not to mention various Net Yaroze games I'm actually impressed with how well they managed to replicate this type of game. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they used Net Yaroze to make this.

A.J.

Banned
Cool, I like this sort of stuff, but I hope it dosen't end up doing the weird cult stuff like ben drowned did.

Actually, I was already skeptical over the video in the beginning since there's no real life shot of the game's CD however the graphics and music sounded believable in my opinion. After reading comments about the sad death of a child that is related to the game, I noticed whoever made this fake was completely off. If anything, it's a well done fake!

My theory is that someone developed an indie game for the ps1 way back that never got finished until recently and whoever developed that game, ended up turning the original concept of the game into a creepypasta years later to try and fuck with the internet. lol

I think the more likely scenario is some guy invented this entire thing from scratch.

This is fun and interesting to watch, even though it is definitely fake. I just love how well done it is!

Of course I enjoyed the BEN creepypasta before it became a huge meme. I just love the amount of time and planning that goes into these indepth pastas

Saladinoo

Really really cool. I really want to keep watching this, but I'm such a bitch when it comes to jump scares that I usually stay away from this stuff. Too many prank flashes on ebaum's world hurt my brain.

By the way, did anything ever happen with the creepy pasta surrounding that Kanye West game? I remember it was still ongoing last time I checked it out

Nuu

Banned
Why? I thought that was one of the creepiest parts.

Because:

- It's very cheesy.
- It takes a lot of the "mystery" out of it.

If I had to guess, it'd be the casual statement about communicating with ghosts directly through the game. That lost me too. I'll still watch, but it got a massive involuntary eye roll out of me.

This to a lesser extent. He doesn't seem as concerned or denying about it when he says it.

Ritzboof

Really really cool. I really want to keep watching this, but I'm such a bitch when it comes to jump scares that I usually stay away from this stuff. Too many prank flashes on ebaum's world hurt my brain.

no jump scares here, its just dark and spooky

Zubz

Banned
I'm liking this so far, but this better not turn into yet another haunted game. The beginning is the best part of any of these hoaxes solely because they usually haven't worked in a demon or whatever yet. Or, in the case of the Godzilla one,
a dead girlfriend's ghost giving the protagonist a power-up to fight the well-established demon

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Sony is so dumb for not having PS1 classics on the PS4, and especially not having this game as a PS1 classic on PS4.

jaypah

He is dismissive of the haunted game trope.

I havent gotten through all of the videos yet but is this the first time that he's even acknowledged "creepypasta haunted games", instead of playing it straight like he's just playing through a random game? If so it wouldn't totally kill the vibe for me but it would be a bit "oh, ok dude" eye-rollish.

this is what made it okay for me. Seemed to be a selfaware statement on what these sort of things usually entail, and a dismissal of the notion that this was similar

The narrator seems to dismissive of that when it was brought up.

I dunno about that...yea he somewhat dismisses the possability that he is talking to a ghost/being haunted in this particular instance... But in doing so he implies that he knows the difference between when one is talking to a ghost/being haunted vs not talking to a ghost / being haunted....he appears to conclude that based on some type of previous knowledge he fails to go into significant depth with (imo he subtly implies that he has dealth with haunted/gohstly games in the past) that this is not in fact a haunting.

hughesta

Banned
I dunno about that...yea he somewhat dismisses the possability that he is talking to a ghost/being haunted in this particular instance... But in doing so he implies that he knows the difference between when one is talking to a ghost/being haunted vs not talking to a ghost / being haunted....he appears to conclude that based on some type of previous knowledge he fails to go into significant depth with (imo he subtly implies that he has dealth with haunted/gohstly games in the past) that this is not in fact a haunting.
I think the implication is rather that he's familiar with other creepypasta of this type and is dismissing the notion that this is similar

The Godzilla NES creepypasta was great until the end where it literally turned into an anime

STILL THE BEST

That part was the best part of any creepypasta ever, it felt so random and yet funny and yet awesome and you just knew that kaiju was a total bro.

I'm on the third Petscop thing and this stuff is pretty good and pretty scary, the narration could have been done better. I lost my shit when he saw something weird on the wall and said "that's interesting" with no hint whatsoever of being scared shitless.

Curious to see where it goes from here. I kind of rolled my eyes once it kicked into the obligatory "low visibility darkness and ominous concrete buildings" slenderman aesthetic, but putting together an actual game to base everything around does make it automatically more interesting than most creepypastas.

I've yet to sit down and put much thought into it, but trying to write a compelling One Of These sounds like it could be a pretty good challenge.

Mariolee

Curious to see where it goes from here. I kind of rolled my eyes once it kicked into the obligatory "low visibility darkness and ominous concrete buildings" slenderman aesthetic, but putting together an actual game to base everything around does make it automatically more interesting than most creepypastas.

I've yet to sit down and put much thought into it, but trying to write a compelling One Of These sounds like it could be a pretty good challenge.

I'm only on the second video but I think there's another story going on with the LPer making the videos specifically for one person he wants to come home. This is obviously fake, but very entertaining. The idea of creating a serial through the format of Let's Plays.

I think the implication is rather that he's familiar with other creepypasta of this type and is dismissing the notion that this is similar

Seems like a stretch to me.... he says

“This game is trying very hard to make it seem like, uhm.. Like there's an entity in it. Like a.. A ghost, or an AI, trying to communicate with me. It's interesting. But you know, the way you know, that there's a ghost in a game trying to communicate with you, is if it comes out, if it stops being distant, and it comes out and you can have a, you know.. A real time back and forth with it. Uh. And it stops being so one way.”

Seems like it would have been easy to differentiate between personal experience and hearsay...if somebody said something like this on gaf (essentially the above post just copy and pasted in a game OT) people would press said individual for clarity.

Zubz

Banned
That's pretty cool, i--
*LET'S PLAY ONLY*
No.

I'm fine with the format, but if this is actually a game they have working in some capacity, I'd love them to release it down the line.

Or better yet, a DIY Creepypasta where you're just given a really, really weird game & have to sort the weirdness yourself.

etrain911

The aesthetic really reminds me of some of the assets from Super Paper Mario. I would love if someone took those characters to create a fake PS1 game.

So realistically, how much time/money would it take to make a game like this? It actually looks like a ps1 game, which is pretty incredible actually. The fact that there is a debate over weather it might actually be running on a ps1 is pretty fascinating. I guess it could be animated instead, but someone put a lot of effort into making it look like it's from that era.

It's fine.

Off-topic, but nothing is more dumb than "Character Action Game". So happy it's only used on NeoGaf.

I don't even mind copypasta... but creepy pasta is a bridge too far for some reason.

I'm not big on character action game either.

Top Bottom