• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone lost enthusiasm for specific game platforms?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Xbox platform, was really in to it but racing has dried up and the direction overall seems to be muddied.

JP

UK, not really but sort of.

The last generation saw the unintentional start of my move from a multi-console owner to a single console owner. I started off using the 360 as the go to console but over time the PS3 became the primary console.

That has sort of continued this generation, we own an Xbox One and PS4 pro but have found that as time goes on that the PS4 is that only console that actually gets switched on. We've got to the stage where we don't even download the free game anymore and as soon as the PS4 got USB hdd support, the hard drive from the Xbox One was plugged into the PS4.

Most of the last generation and all of this generation we've downloaded all our games rather than using retail and I just don't see anything changing that moving forwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see that we don't even get a Switch and I wouldn't be at all surprised if next generation we ended up with only one console.

The Xbox One and Wii U are both boxed up now and it's just a matter of sticking them on eBay when I get the time or maybe just give them away to friends or family.

This really hasn't been a conscious choice, it's just sort of happened on its own and you miss out on games doing this but looking at my entire family I see that none of us are going to be able to play all the games that we want to play, even if we only own the PS4. We just don't have a need for access to the three consoles anymore.

This is in no way a criticism Microsoft's or Nintendo's games and/or consoles because I think they're all really positive and there's a massive collection of really good games with whichever one we ended up with. I know the Switch is still an infant so in comparison to the other two it does still have a small library but it just needs a bit of time.

I'm not sure if that really means anybody in my family has lost enthusiasm for any of the consoles because it really has just happened like that.

HeeHo

Xbox.

I'm sure plenty of people have already said that, but I was all about my 360 last gen. I was even an Xbox Live monthly subscriber for nearly 10 years!

After the One reveal, and all those Major Nelson interviews asking about the "cloud" and DRM stuff, I literally wanted nothing to do with the company. It doesn't help that the One was slightly under powered and has a lot less exclusives.

But yeah, like someone else said, they'd have to pull a unicorn out of their ass for me to get back on board.

Nintendo has gained some good will back from me. Surprisingly it wasn't the Wii U that made me lose faith in Nintendo, it was the original Wii! I really hate waggle controls and gimmicky motion controls in general so yeah... I thought Nintendo was going to double down on that type of controller scheme. Glad they didn't.

I've barely touched my PS4 since I got a Switch. With the portability, why would I?
I haven't touched my Switch since BotW. I'm ploughing through an incredible PS4 backlog.

Loved the Switch when I got it - mainly due to Zelda - but the novelty has worn off now. Looking forward to SMO though.

I really don't get the obsession over the portability aspect. I don't want to play console games on the go, I'm happy to stick with games on my S8 to kill time when I'm out and about, and I don't have to carry anything extra to do that.

The Xbox has had zero exclusives I have been interested in since GoW4 and the only one on the horizon is Sea of Thieves which, believe me, you should all be very excited for.

E3 is Microsoft's time to get me back, especially if they show some nice tech demoes on Scorpio that eclipse what my Pro is doing right now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Xbox -> PS4
(Guessing this is a popular trend in this thread not having read all pages?)

Still remember the email conversations among XBL friends during the E3 reveal. It was pretty unanimous how many of us were ready to pre-order a PS4 and jump ship from XBL to PSN+ so quickly. It was a momentous fuckup and literally none of us had expected to shift platforms before the conference, most of us were ready to pre-order the next Xbox sight unseen that morning before the MS briefing.

Otherwise, can't think of any platform that fell out of favor really. I despise the Wii U gamepad, but the machine was kind of great in its own way.

I am still not convinced the Switch's largest selling point is for me at all, but I want to play the new Mario so I will likely cave this holiday.

MikeyB

I was a Nintendo guy through and through until the Wii. I felt that the Gamecube went a weird gimmicky route, but the library was awesome, so I didn't care. I had the exact same feelings about the DS and 3DS.

The Wii pushed me over the edge. There were a lot of great games, but I hate hate hate motion controls. So I waited out the WiiU, seeing it as another gimmicky interface and switches to a PS3. I am so glad I did.

The Switch doesn't interest me in the least. Nintendo is dead to me until they make a platform that can support AAAs and indies (and indies at a price roughly equivalent to Steam prices) that looks great on a home theatre and focuses on traditional controls.

AlexBasch

My PS4 is a Persona machine ever since I bought the X1. I just need to play Horizon and I will forget about the Playstation environment entirely until TLOU2 and GoW hits.

Always loved Nintendo platforms (I bought and still have a Wii U) but the Switch's fanbase is so bad that I don't want to be associated with. I had all the handhelds since the GBA, and HHs are my favorite platform.

Not the only reason, obviously, because that would be insane. More like a death by a thousand cuts.

Costia

PC kinda.
About half a year ago i got a PS4 pro, recently got a switch and tried a few "new"(for me, like fire emblem) 3ds games.
PC kinda reminds me of work, and the console's UIs are nicer.
So I don't play on PC much anymore.

360 was the main console last gen for me. now it's a Gears4 only box and nothing else has me even remotely exited about the future of the platform. shit, even the state of Gears has me worried about the future of the IP.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I was a Nintendo guy through and through until the Wii. I felt that the Gamecube went a weird gimmicky route, but the library was awesome, so I didn't care. I had the exact same feelings about the DS and 3DS.

The Wii pushed me over the edge. There were a lot of great games, but I hate hate hate motion controls. So I waited out the WiiU, seeing it as another gimmicky interface and switches to a PS3. I am so glad I did.

The Switch doesn't interest me in the least. Nintendo is dead to me until they make a platform that can support AAAs and indies (and indies at a price roughly equivalent to Steam prices) that looks great on a home theatre and focuses on traditional controls.
That's litterally the switch

This gen it's Xbox for me. The last good Halo and Gears were on the 360 imo. Wasn't big into Forza

Even with the limited support of the Wii U, I still turn it on for MK8. But nothing Xbox has offered this gen gets me to play very long

I went exclusively Pc after DC failed and PS2 big hits like MGS2, FFX, Silent Hill 2 didn't gel well with me, 360 brought me back to console gaming and every now and them I try giving another go to play some PC games that never made it to consoles, but I feel it's no longer for me anymore.

On the opposite hand, contrary to what seems most people are being disappointed with, I'm very excited for Xbox. Ms is doing all the right things for the platform and medium to long term might become something really unique and special.

MikeyB

That's litterally the switch
But it doesn't and most likely won't support many AAAs.

Let me know when it gets Titanfall 2, Doom, Overwatch, a Souls game, or XCom 2. Hell, let me know when it gets Elite: Dangerous and Divinity: Original Sin. They are almost all widely cross platform.

ghibli99

For me, I was pretty excited about the XB1S at first... 4K BRD, HDR, no brick, nice design, etc., but... barely any games that I care about, and the ones I do run better on my PC, so it basically sits there while I somewhat regret the purchase. BC and the 4K BRD capabilities are the only things really keeping me from getting rid of it.

Once I get a current gen console I'm generally done with playing the last gen one. Especially this generation where a lot of stuff carried over.

While the console is the current gen console though, I'm locked in as along as it has the games I want to play. I use them for other stuff but I primarily buy consoles to play games. I get tired of missing out on games by only having that generation. If the new games that are up my alley are still coming out on the platform, I don't see myself getting tired of the platform. The platform is just a way to get to games.

Do you really just get tired of a system or is it a lack of games? If a system was getting new games released on the regular and a decent enough amount of them were up your alley, would you really lose interest all together once your system was a few months old?

Jacqli

I have lost all my enthusiasm for multiplayer on console. Switch, One and PS4 all of them have paid online. Screw that.

I've lost all interest in mobile gaming, and I personally don't care about the Switch at all.

I'm not too invested in consoles at all anymore, though.

zenspider

I think after Sega Saturn failed, I bought every console begrudgingly, and the particular hardware enthusiasm comes in retrospect.

I am, however, pretty enthusiastic about my Switch purchase. It's a fun piece of kit, it enables a lot more game "uptime" in my life, and after handhelds being in the really awkward "uncanny valley" of console-style games on last-last gen hardware, I finally understand the appeal of Kaz's promise to deliver us from the handheld ghetto.

Wii, DS, Vita, and my HMDs are all hardware I'm enthusiastic about in and of themselves for providing different experiences apart from the upgrade treadmill.

poodaddy

My PS3 was purchased late last Gen, Far after the Xbox 360, and although I preferred it to the Xbox 360 at first, (perhaps just due to it being new), I ended up veering back towards higher opinions of the 360 when my 360 catalog became backwards compatible on my Bone. I still think the PS3 was a great system in general, but I think the complexity of its architecture in general really hurt it in the long run and as a result the 360 will be remembered more fondly by history.

3DS I guess. I still have a really large backlog for it, but playing it hurts my hands. I'm constantly thinking how much more fun it would be with a proper controller.

Steam I guess. I mean it's still good but I've either gotten used to it or it has lost appeal due something else, I never really tought much about it.

I never recovered after the first reveal of the Xbone.

The Xbox brand is dead to me.

People always cite the Xbone reveal as what turned them off xbox but the last few years of the 360 were abysmal in terms of first party software support. It was those years that Sony stole me away.

I wonder did a lot of people not play too many games on 360 towards the end? Maybe PC or something.

Once I built my gaming PC, I have lost enthusiasm for my PS4 for sure. I built my PC in February of 2016 and have turned on my Playstation just 3 times since, all 3 to play the Rise of Iron update to Destiny. I don't mean to sound like a snob because I look back on my console use very fondly, but going back to anything below 60fps and 1440p is very difficult.

I thought I would go back for Persona 5 and FFXVI but it just hasn't happened yet. I'm not really sure why other than to use your word, lack of "enthusiasm."

Linkark07

Banned
Yep. As soon as I started upgrading my PC, I started losing interest in my PS3, until the point it became a Netflix machine only.

Though my PS4 would make me interested in a Sony console again. Nope, not a little bit. After I upgraded my PC again, I hardly use it for play games. Add PS+ being a requirement for play online, even less interest in it.

And now with the Switch... Well, it became a Netflix/Crunchyroll/Twitch/BD and DVD machine.

Anno

Consoles in general I guess. Every time one of them gets enough exclusives to be really enticing I get wrapped up in something else or the successor gets announced. I'm hoping that future consoles embrace backwards compatibility so I can jump in for multiple generations of exclusives at a time.

KaYotiX

Banned
First gen I didn't buy a Sony console... Nothing on it that I really want to play.

My Xbox One is also basically my RockbanD/FORZA machine atm. PC has got a huge hold on me again.

18-Volt

PS4. To me it's the worst console ever. Every generation of Playstation consoles come with one important feature that makes me drool, but PS4 literally had nothing. PS2 had DVD player and brand new genres, PS3 had HD gaming and downloadable stuff, PS4 had... well, slightly more realism? And if it did, it doesn't concern me anyway as I play more Japanese and single player stuff. Most of the Japanese PS4 games were multplatform with PS3, and they didn't even push PS3 to its limits, let alone PS4. Not to mention system got awful lot of remasters and old gen ports.

Right now I own 10 full price PS4 games at its third year. In same time frame, I owned about 32 PS3 games and 45 PS2 games. Numbers tell what I feel about the system.

But what am I playing if not PS4? Mostly handhelds. 3DS and Vita still give me what I need, there is still lot to play on them. But they're both goner this year and if Switch is incapable of replacing them, then I'll go into depression state.

PS4. To me it's the worst console ever. Every generation of Playstation consoles come with one important feature that makes me drool, but PS4 literally had nothing. PS2 had DVD player and brand new genres, PS3 had HD gaming and downloadable stuff, PS4 had... well, slightly more realism? And if it did, it doesn't concern me anyway as I play more Japanese and single player stuff. Most of the Japanese PS4 games were multplatform with PS3, and they didn't even push PS3 to its limits, let alone PS4. Not to mention system got awful lot of remasters and old gen ports.

Right now I own 10 full price PS4 games at its third year. In same time frame, I owned about 32 PS3 games and 45 PS2 games. Numbers tell what I feel about the system.

But what am I playing if not PS4? Mostly handhelds. 3DS and Vita still give me what I need, there is still lot to play on them. But they're both goner this year and if Switch is incapable of replacing them, then I'll go into depression state.

I feel the opposite.

PS4 offered a pure gaming console when the competition was gone all gimmicky.

I do see where you're coming from though.

KingV

Xbox platform, was really in to it but racing has dried up and the direction overall seems to be muddied.

I agree with this. It's just a really i exciting platform nowadays.

I was still pretty hyped until Scalebound was cancelled. Now there's like, exactly nothing coming out that I want.

Skelter

Banned
Better graphics
Better online infrastructure
Bigger online community
More games

Meh, PC and Switch is all I need. I have a One S and it's become my 4K player and that's it. I wish the PS4 Pro had a 4K bluray player otherwise I'd have bought one instead of the One S because I want to play Persona 5.

leng jai

My XB1S is basically a BC machine. At least my two most wanted titles in Lost Odyssey and RDR made it on. Gears and Forza being playable on PC really killed it for me.

Giga Man

I'm sort of losing enthusiasm over my 3DS because I have all these 3DS games yet to be played/finished, but I'd rather play them on my TV with a comfortable controller and sitting straight up, facing forward.

Top Bottom