• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone playing Trackmania² Lagoon

Yes. It is out.

Features
Blue skies
65 tracks with worldwide and regional leaderboards
"A very active community"
6 multiplayer modes: Time Attack, Round, Team, Cup, Laps, and a new official team game mode, Chase, tasking players to synchronize.
Going fast
Tools to make tracks, geometry and videos
Giant Bomb Unofficial Classic server (while stocks last)

Media

Lagoon launch trailer
Maniaplanet 4 feature reel
40 Minutes PC 60FPS 4K UHD Gameplay

Reviews
The Games Machine (Italian) 7.9

£15.99/19,99€/$19.99 / Maniaplanet, Steam, Uplay
You can get a Uplay key 15% off on Gameplanet currently. All versions use Maniaplanet 4 where ever you buy it.
No idea if the 65 tracks are new to those who have already played Turbo.
There is a free demo if you are undecided.

Vintage

Just noticed there's different types of TM2, like Stadium, Canyon, Lagoon. Are these separate games?

I loved Trackmania 1 Stadium a lot, but seeing the player numbers on TM2 makes me doubt about buying the game.

Just noticed there's different types of TM2, like Stadium, Canyon, Lagoon. Are these separate games?

I loved Trackmania 1 Stadium a lot, but seeing the player numbers on TM2 makes me doubt about buying the game.
Pretty much. They all launch from the same Maniaplanet client which is initially confusing. You shouldn't be put off by TM2 Stadium as it is reasonably popular, check again on the evenings of weekends. I think it is hard to convince a community already invested in TM2 Stadium to hop over to a more expensive product. Many might have already had their fill of this environment with Turbo also.

Turbo was such a bad letdown for me. Even then I played a bunch of Lagoon and I kinda doubt many people will leave Stadium longterm.

Ill keep an eye on it though. If some good servers etc come up I may buy it at some point.

Vintage

Pretty much. They all launch from the same Maniaplanet client which is initially confusing. You shouldn't be put off by TM2 Stadium as it is reasonably popular, check again on the evenings of weekends. I think it is hard to convince a community already invested in TM2 Stadium to hop over to a more expensive product. Many might have already had their fill of this environment with Turbo also.

I recently bought a big 144hz monitor so I'll try the demo on it, should be fun.

It's strange that there's no console versions. This would also work well with cross-play.

cyba89

No discount or anything for Turbo owners?

Maniaplanet killed Trackmania games for me. And I think I have all of them but Lagoon.

Same. Barely played TM2.

Even though Trackmania Turbo is not as feature-rich I have more fun with that game just for the fact I don't have to deal with this ManiaPlanet thing.

There are big changes to Maniaplanet this time. Seems some are bad, like having to recompile maps for MP4 but the channels and playlists concept sounds really smart. It might allow Nadeo or the community to curate playlists and offer players some variety.

Whole thing would work better if it was $20 for all environments and everyone played together in one big pool though.

Giant Bomb's Quick Look is up. Fun video and makes me more tempted to pick it up. I do worry about the longevity of the community though.

I lost the thread of this with Maniaplanet versus Steam. If I have all the other environments in MP should I just stick there, or am I better off moving to Steam for this one? Doesn't the Steam version do something weird like splitting all the enviros to separate executables or something?

I lost the thread of this with Maniaplanet versus Steam. If I have all the other environments in MP should I just stick there, or am I better off moving to Steam for this one? Doesn't the Steam version do something weird like splitting all the enviros to separate executables or something?
Your MP keys will register on Steam so you can play where ever suits you.
Can anyone explain the blue skies meme
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html

Stadium was great

Everything they've done with the "mania" franchise since has been a mistake.

Watched the gb quick look and lagoon looks pretty great though.

Lemonte

I played during the beta. Seems fun. Really hard though compared to other environments. Now that Canyon is shit I don't know if I have desire to learn new environment. Valley is probably more fun to me that Lagoon.

MP4 was mistake. Nothing but trash.

robotrock

Banned
For some reason I expected this to play like Lagoon does in Trackmania Turbo but it sure does not. Not really into this.

Vintage

How can I get the demo? I downloaded it on Steam, it launches the Maniaplanet, I click on Lagoon and the only option is "Buy full game". Can't see any demo option.

Also, this whole Maniaplanet shit sucks bigtime.

edit: clicking on "Buy" just opens a blank browser page. Nice job.

Lemonte

How can I get the demo? I downloaded it on Steam, it launches the Maniaplanet, I click on Lagoon and the only option is "Buy full game". Can't see any demo option.

Also, this whole Maniaplanet shit sucks bigtime.

edit: clicking on "Buy" just opens a blank browser page. Nice job.

I believe you have to join to a channel to play for free. Which is stupid if you want to test specific environment since there's scheduled times for each environment.

At Maniaplanet launch, channels will be the only way to access the free multiplayer.
When you play on a channel, all Environments and Titles are available.

http://blog.maniaplanet.com/blog/2017/01/31/maniaplanet-4-preview-7-channels/

Maniaplanet is such a mess.

This Maniaplanet thing has been a crippling disappointment since the day TM2 came out. Track types as individual games in an awkward launcher must have helped gut the community.

I miss Trackmania. Was Turbo a letdown too? I haven't looked into it after TM2.

I didn't like Turbo at all. It depends what you are looking for. It was their attempt at getting the console audience, which is fine, but it gutted community aspects, no plugins, ruined the way servers work etc. I never fully understood leaderboards in it either, it mixed their mediocre single player stuff with online records or ..something.

Vintage

I believe you have to join to a channel to play for free. Which is stupid if you want to test specific environment since there's scheduled times for each environment.

http://blog.maniaplanet.com/blog/2017/01/31/maniaplanet-4-preview-7-channels/

Maniaplanet is such a mess.

Yeah, finally joined the game. They need to work on this launcher. First impression is terrible. Confusing, ugly both from graphic design and usability - looks like some kind of developer's debug menu. It's strange because I played countless hours of TM Nations and remember UI being superb.

But once I got into the game I remembered how addicting it is and how great the community is.
If I buy Lagoon, I'll only get Lagoon, no Stadium? Is there a pack for all? And what is Turbo? Confusion...

Yeah, finally joined the game. They need to work on this launcher. First impression is terrible. Confusing, ugly both from graphic design and usability - looks like some kind of developer's debug menu. It's strange because I played countless hours of TM Nations and remember UI being superb.

But once I got into the game I remembered how addicting it is and how great the community is.
If I buy Lagoon, I'll only get Lagoon, no Stadium? Is there a pack for all? And what is Turbo? Confusion...

Turbo is a different game and contains 4 different environments but it is completely dead online.

If you buy Lagoon, you only get Lagoon. If you buy Stadium, you only get Stadium etc. I would probably buy both Lagoon and Stadium if you want to get into TM2. Stadium usually has a few active servers with up to 50+ users at peak times. Community is still really good for the most part.

Dang it, I love Trackmania but $20 seems like a bit much at this point. And Maniaplanet continues to be a mess. And Turbo (2016) was a mistake. BUT MAN I LOVE TRACKMANIA (especially stadium)

oh man i want it (anyone who likes trackmania play forza hotwheels? how is that?)

squid

Such a shame how they've handled the structure and UI of these games. The gameplay is as great as ever and the online community is fantastic, but the devs/publisher seem to be trying their hardest to fragment it.

Skyzard

Banned
I like it, enjoyed playing it when it released.

Booted it up a few hours ago and there was literally only 1 other person playing, and it was on the GB server.

It was like 1 or 2 am in Europe though, maybe that's why. [A few other Germans joined after a few minutes]

So many updates everytime I launch the game for a quick session too.

It's good...but this split off model doesn't work. The launcher helps you go to other versions quick...but everyone is still split.

Need an all-in-one game, which better be free, or real cheap, if you've bought all the damn separate titles.

epmode

It's hard to believe how badly Nadeo/Ubisoft fucked Trackmania 2 with a few insane business decisions. HOW DOES MANIAPLANET STILL EXIST?

They even ruined Turbo which was a perfect opportunity for relaunching the game! No player-run servers or user-generated content? DOA. It's a shame, too; I love the new controller-friendly menu and the fun festival theme.

Top Bottom